RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

Look....I have been as vocal as anyone on this board in my desire to stay away from this kid.  But, what I have been consistent in saying is that it isn't because of his prospects of being a good QB in this league, it's been because he needs more work than the other QBs in the draft.  He needs to get to a level of consistency that many of the other QBs already have.  That's the biggest concern.

In breaking him down during the pre-draft process, the biggest issue with him is not his accuracy......it's his footwork.  Far too many times his footwork was jacked up and he was throwing off balance or off his back foot.  That led to the completion percentage being low because his throws were too inconsistent.  HOWEVER, if you watch him when he is at his best, when he is throwing with the proper mechanics, in rhythm and on time, he was as ACCURATE as any QB in this draft.  The problem was, he didn't do that nearly enough and not as much as the other QBs in this draft did and therefore his completion percentage suffered.

There were other things that didn't help him either.  His offensive design for one was very basic and was based on a vertical passing game.  His WRs, especially this past season were, let's just say, not NFL caliber.  And I'm not sure he has the best QB coaching, and coaching in general around him. 

As I said, I was not a big fan of drafting him because I look at him as a bit of a project and as someone that will take longer to see the field.  But, make no mistake about it, my preference not to draft him and to go another direction had nothing to do with the talent he has.  When he is on, and everything is on time and on rhythm, he was as good as there was in this draft.  There were times he looked like Dan Marino.  But because of the inconsistency with his footwork, there were also many times he didn't even look like a first round prospect.

Us as Bills fans need 1 thing with this pick.  We need our coaching staff to get through to him and fix his footwork.  If they can make him consistent with his footwork, most of the issues he had will take care of themselves.  He will also need better coaching so he can anticipate when and where throws need to be made so he can be better going through his progressions.  He does leave the pocket early a lot, but I do think that fixing his footwork and rhythm may help a bit with that.  It may take him longer than others in this draft, but if he does figure it out, he could be special.  Will he be able to figure it out, though?  That's the question.

• Like (+1) 4

30 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If Josh Allen is spending today reading this thread, he's already a bust.

You know what I’d do if I got picked in the draft? I’d be googling around to find my future fans because I’d be excited. And TBD is the online home of the fan base.

And of course this is the thread he’s reading.  

If you dont think he’s read this thread, you’re nuts. It takes him 5 minutes to get the gist of what Bills “fans” comprise.  

"We need our coaching staff to get through to him and fix his footwork.  If they can make him consistent with his footwork, most of the issues he had will take care of themselves.  He will also need better coaching so he can anticipate when and where throws need to be made so he can be better going through his progressions.  "

NO NFL team, but absolutely no lost in the wilderness QB search for an entire Millennium team- like the Bills, should EVER, EVER, be choosing a flawed, franchise QB in the first round!

This choice is typically symbolic of ALL the reclamation project stiffs, OBD has chosen this entire Millennium, which have panned out to absolutely nada- because nothing was corrected!

Ever!

Edited by Billsatlastin2018
  • Like (+1) 1

Soul crushing, especially with Rosen sitting there. To make it even worse they traded UP when his stock was likely dropping because of the tweets. Considering the need at QB, the fan anticipation, the importance of the position and the availability of Rosen, this might be the biggest first round blunder in Bills history.

• Haha (+1) 1

Greg Rosenthal loves our draft!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000929261/article/2018-nfl-draft-debrief-winners-and-losers-from-round-1?campaign=tw-nf-sf187936801-sf187936801&sf187936801=1

Losers

Buffalo Bills: The Bills traded out of their No. 10 overall pick a year ago, passing on the chance to draft Patrick Mahomes or Deshaun Watson in favor of amassing draft capital. This season, the Bills usedsignificant draft capital to trade up for quarterback Josh Allen (moving from 12th overall to seventh). The kids would call that hustling backward, especially when Allen has an uphill climb just to surpass previous Bills quarterback Tyrod Taylor's level of production.

Bills fans will point to this being the first draft for GM Brandon Beane, who was hired last May, but that only emphasizes how tricky it is to come up with a cohesive roster when the GM and coach are always in flux. Allen could prove his skeptics wrong, and his athleticism is unquestionable, but Josh Rosen has clearly displayed a more obvious NFL skill set. Allen is reminiscent of a souped-up version of another Bills first-round quarterback: J.P. Losman, a player with accuracy issues who was a star in the pre-draft season because of his measurables. Losman was taken 22nd overall in the 2004 NFL Draft and proceeded to compile a 10-23 record in Buffalo.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

16 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

You know what I’d do if I got picked in the draft? I’d be googling around to find my future fans because I’d be excited. And TBD is the online home of the fan base.

If you dont think he’s read this thread, you’re nuts. It takes him 5 minutes to get the gist of what Bills “fans” comprise.  

Well, I think that's likely, actually.  At least he'll know who the few discerning fans are:P

11 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

"We need our coaching staff to get through to him and fix his footwork.  If they can make him consistent with his footwork, most of the issues he had will take care of themselves.  He will also need better coaching so he can anticipate when and where throws need to be made so he can be better going through his progressions.  "

NO NFL team, but absolutely no lost in the wilderness QB search for an entire Millennium team- like the Bills, should EVER, EVER, be choosing a flawed, franchise QB in the first round!

This choice is typically symbolic of ALL the reclamation project stiffs, OBD has chosen this entire Millennium, which have panned out to absolutely nada- because nothing was corrected!

Ever!

Why is he flawed?

25 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Look....I have been as vocal as anyone on this board in my desire to stay away from this kid.  But, what I have been consistent in saying is that it isn't because of his prospects of being a good QB in this league, it's been because he needs more work than the other QBs in the draft.  He needs to get to a level of consistency that many of the other QBs already have.  That's the biggest concern.

In breaking him down during the pre-draft process, the biggest issue with him is not his accuracy......it's his footwork.  Far too many times his footwork was jacked up and he was throwing off balance or off his back foot.  That led to the completion percentage being low because his throws were too inconsistent.  HOWEVER, if you watch him when he is at his best, when he is throwing with the proper mechanics, in rhythm and on time, he was as ACCURATE as any QB in this draft.  The problem was, he didn't do that nearly enough and not as much as the other QBs in this draft did and therefore his completion percentage suffered.

There were other things that didn't help him either.  His offensive design for one was very basic and was based on a vertical passing game.  His WRs, especially this past season were, let's just say, not NFL caliber.  And I'm not sure he has the best QB coaching, and coaching in general around him. 

As I said, I was not a big fan of drafting him because I look at him as a bit of a project and as someone that will take longer to see the field.  But, make no mistake about it, my preference not to draft him and to go another direction had nothing to do with the talent he has.  When he is on, and everything is on time and on rhythm, he was as good as there was in this draft.  There were times he looked like Dan Marino.  But because of the inconsistency with his footwork, there were also many times he didn't even look like a first round prospect.

Us as Bills fans need 1 thing with this pick.  We need our coaching staff to get through to him and fix his footwork.  If they can make him consistent with his footwork, most of the issues he had will take care of themselves.  He will also need better coaching so he can anticipate when and where throws need to be made so he can be better going through his progressions.  He does leave the pocket early a lot, but I do think that fixing his footwork and rhythm may help a bit with that.  It may take him longer than others in this draft, but if he does figure it out, he could be special.  Will he be able to figure it out, though?  That's the question.

Excellent, top to bottom. I was devastated yesterday, but not because I don't see the upside in Allen, but because Rosen is already a pro-QB imo. Totally agree on the footwork and vertical passing game component. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000929261/article/2018-nfl-draft-debrief-winners-and-losers-from-round-1?campaign=tw-nf-sf187936801-sf187936801&sf187936801=1

Losers

Buffalo Bills: The Bills traded out of their No. 10 overall pick a year ago, passing on the chance to draft Patrick Mahomes or Deshaun Watson in favor of amassing draft capital. This season, the Bills usedsignificant draft capital to trade up for quarterback Josh Allen (moving from 12th overall to seventh). The kids would call that hustling backward, especially when Allen has an uphill climb just to surpass previous Bills quarterback Tyrod Taylor's level of production.

Bills fans will point to this being the first draft for GM Brandon Beane, who was hired last May, but that only emphasizes how tricky it is to come up with a cohesive roster when the GM and coach are always in flux. Allen could prove his skeptics wrong, and his athleticism is unquestionable, but Josh Rosen has clearly displayed a more obvious NFL skill set. Allen is reminiscent of a souped-up version of another Bills first-round quarterback: J.P. Losman, a player with accuracy issues who was a star in the pre-draft season because of his measurables. Losman was taken 22nd overall in the 2004 NFL Draft and proceeded to compile a 10-23 record in Buffalo.

Should we send someone over to check on you? I feel like you're half a second away from jumping off your roof and breaking a leg over this. 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Losers

The only thing dumber than mock drafts is people that assign grades the day after a pick. I still remember when people were excited over the draft that netted us Lawson, Ragland, Washington, Cardale Jones, Jon Williams, Listenbee, and Seymour. Seriously a lot of Bills fans were calling it one of the best Bills drafts ever when it was done.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, yungmack said:

Soul crushing, especially with Rosen sitting there. To make it even worse they traded UP when his stock was likely dropping because of the tweets. Considering the need at QB, the fan anticipation, the importance of the position and the availability of Rosen, this might be the biggest first round blunder in Bills history.

The way I see it Bills fans had 5 good QB's to pick from dividing the fan base up into 4 or 5 groups.

I understand being disappointed for not getting your preferred choice, but most reputable sports analysts agreed Josh Allen has the highest potential upside.

Calling it a blunder at this point is a little early in the process...

• Like (+1) 1

I don't know whether to be excited or depressed about this pick. Quite honestly, I would have been more happy with any of the other top QB prospects.  His potential is off the charts, but in order to realize that potential.. it's going to be an uphill battle.  Hopefully we have the right people in place to be able to get JA to where he ought to be based on his physical attributes.  I'm not convinced that we do have the right support staff in place (yet)

4 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

The thing that really gets me angry.

If we had let the Cardinals "win" for Allen, we could have potentially traded #65 / #166 for Rosen, done the same deal with Baltimore for Edmunds (give them 56 instead of 65) and been sitting with Rosen / Edmunds / pick 53

Except Allen is a much better asset than Rosen and well worth not having the 53.  If anybody gave me a board Rosen would be off it entirely.  He has a concussion history and poor movement skills.  He is thinly built.  These three are enough, but I don't personally care for his attitude either.  Allen has arm strength and movement skills Rosen can only dream of.  Fix Allen's base and help him develop touch at different defensive levels and he will be miles ahead of any place Rosen can ever hope to get to.    

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

That's part of why you arent a top NFL prospect.

There are a million other things to do than run to the internet to see what the comments are.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

There are a million other things to do than run to the internet to see what the comments are.

You got that right.   What does he think these draftees do?    Watch Fox News 3-4 hours a day and look at Twitter?   

• Thank you (+1) 1