RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

11 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

In a sense, yes. I'm just to the OPs premise that if the Cards had moved up they would do so for Rosen. The word last night was that AZ was also targeting Allen, but ultimately made a less costly deal for Rosen. It was predicted before the draft that Rosen was the most likely QB to fall on the boards. I don't think the Bills would have taken him, they'd have waited for someone else. That's all. 

Ultimately there's a disconnect on how the scouting community views Allen vs how the fans and media view him.  The same is likely true for Rosen.  Rosen is exactly the type of prospect who scares hardcore football people.  Durability concerns, he likes all the "stuff" that comes with the game.  Allen is a no-nonsense prototypical QB prospect with an off the charts arm. 

People can't like McBeane's personality, "trust the process" and all that stuff and be upset with Allen over Rosen.  Allen is a McBeane pick way before Rosen would be considered.

5 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I honestly believe Rosen had no interest in being in Cleveland or Buffalo.  I think he tried to steer to New York over Cleveland, it went too far and cost him several spots, but he was thrilled to land in Arizona vs Buffalo.

Look at the teams potentially rumored to be in on QB around our range.  Miami.  Arizona.  Chargers.  New Orleans.  New England.  Rosen isn't a Bill because he didn't want to be a Bill.  I think Josh Allen is out of his mind thrilled to be a Buffalo Bill this morning.  I don't think Rosen would have felt the same way.  Ultimately I think that's what swung it.

Hes not thrilled as he reads this thread. He now thinks, rightfully, that the fans are punky jerks who aren’t giving him much of a welcome. Instead he reads this thread and knows that people think he’s “trash.” 

Well done “fans.”

We  can do better. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BeginnersMind said:

Hes not thrilled as he reads this thread. He now thinks, rightfully, that the fans are punky jerks who aren’t giving him much of a welcome. Instead he reads this thread and knows that people think he’s “trash.” 

Well done “fans.”

We  can do better. 

If Josh Allen is spending today reading this thread, he's already a bust.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If that's the case, clean out the entire FO and bring in some real leadership. Imagine passing on Jim Kelly because he didnt want to be here. Tail wagging the dog if you ask me.

This front office is going to value culture highly when it comes to decision making.  They went with the clear culture fit.

10 minutes ago, LanderPoke said:

75% of you are idiots. Josh will be the best QB in this draft. Book it. 

I've watched every single one of Josh's snaps in college and I can tell you that he's a leader and commands respect. JA is the most competitive and hard-working QB you will ever see. He's smart and takes instruction well. Humble kid. Highest wonderlic among the big time QBs. 

Brinkus said before the draft that he has the strongest arm in NFL history and the fastest release time that they have ever measure on sports science. And most of you guys act like he's some bum. smh. You will not believe it when you see him throw the ball. It's unreal. It's akin to Rembrandt painting or Einstein doing physics. Josh was put on this earth to throw a football. watch the master work. It's possible that he's got the most gifted arm ever

Josh also had the best broad jump, vertical and 40 among the top QBs. 

The only guy in two years that could really tackle Josh one v one was Vander Esh from Boise who just went 19th to the Cowboys. It's unreal how well he moves and how powerful and nimble he is at his size. It's honestly a lot like Cam Newton. Watch the tape and you will see countless broken tackles and outrun defenders.

This brings me to the main point. Josh has had no coaching. Brent Vigen, QB coach and O coordinator, sucks worse than any coach I've ever known of. He runs a pro-style offense that is the least imaginative, easiest to defend, predictable piece of **** known to man. Wyoming averaged the worst yards per rush in the MWC with a future 1st round talent. Everyone was keying on Josh and would drop a ton into coverage and we could still only manage a meager rushing attack. 

Wyoming lost to San Jose with out Josh. let that sink in. the worst team in college football. He was the sole reason we won any games and he dragged us to 8. 8 wins! He's a winner. We won because of his unimaginable talent... and a stingy d at times. There were dropped passes every game. Playcalling was atrocious and predictable. 

don't be uninformed sheep

I'm not convinced that any of this is true but I appreciate your enthusiasm and I'm ready to be infected by it. The Einstein of football, that's a new one lol.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Fair point, but I still worry because Wentz was actually a successful college player. Allen has all the tools, but any measure of success has yet to follow. 

Wentz and Allen were basically identical statistically in college. Wentz went to a powerhouse school (relative to their level of play) whereas Allen went to a cellar dweller in the MWC and helped turn that program around. And then both went in the top 10 of the NFL Draft; I'd say they were both pretty successful.

12 minutes ago, LanderPoke said:

75% of you are idiots. Josh will be the best QB in this draft. Book it. 

I've watched every single one of Josh's snaps in college and I can tell you that he's a leader and commands respect. JA is the most competitive and hard-working QB you will ever see. He's smart and takes instruction well. Humble kid. Highest wonderlic among the big time QBs. 

Brinkus said before the draft that he has the strongest arm in NFL history and the fastest release time that they have ever measure on sports science. And most of you guys act like he's some bum. smh. You will not believe it when you see him throw the ball. It's unreal. It's akin to Rembrandt painting or Einstein doing physics. Josh was put on this earth to throw a football. watch the master work. It's possible that he's got the most gifted arm ever

Josh also had the best broad jump, vertical and 40 among the top QBs. 

The only guy in two years that could really tackle Josh one v one was Vander Esh from Boise who just went 19th to the Cowboys. It's unreal how well he moves and how powerful and nimble he is at his size. It's honestly a lot like Cam Newton. Watch the tape and you will see countless broken tackles and outrun defenders.

This brings me to the main point. Josh has had no coaching. Brent Vigen, QB coach and O coordinator, sucks worse than any coach I've ever known of. He runs a pro-style offense that is the least imaginative, easiest to defend, predictable piece of **** known to man. Wyoming averaged the worst yards per rush in the MWC with a future 1st round talent. Everyone was keying on Josh and would drop a ton into coverage and we could still only manage a meager rushing attack. 

Wyoming lost to San Jose with out Josh. let that sink in. the worst team in college football. He was the sole reason we won any games and he dragged us to 8. 8 wins! He's a winner. We won because of his unimaginable talent... and a stingy d at times. There were dropped passes every game. Playcalling was atrocious and predictable. 

don't be uninformed sheep

I am likely an idiot...But I still know that several QBs and non QBs have stronger arms than Allen. James Harris could throw the ball 100 yds. WR John Taylor could throw the ball 90 yds. Jay Schroeder could throw 90 yds. Jeff Growin couild throw 90.

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I liked the EJ Manuel pick more than this pick and I hated the EJ Manuel pick.

Really?

Manuel always looked almost like a robot throwing the football. Allen looks natural throwing it, he just needs to tighten things up.

But Manuel was definitely one of the reasons I didn't want Allen... not that he's the same player, just the same genre: a Project.

I'm not educated on these qb's to judge which one we should have drafted. Seems to me, since the new regime took over they have been drafting for personality as well as skill. They dislike a certain type of pro. Like a certain type. All I can say to this point, I'm happy with the progress.  I think I trust them enough to have good judgment. Even then nothing is guaranteed. Rosen isn't guaranteed to be a success as with Allen. 

From what I've seen I like the kid. But I don't watch a lot of college.

Also, I do like the fact he plays in Wyoming and used to crap weather. Hopefully a bit tougher than the Cali college qbs.

Edited by Dante

8 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

This front office is going to value culture highly when it comes to decision making.  They went with the clear culture fit.

I'll never argue against the importance of culture fit for any/all hires, so I'll give you that. I just dont believe it was the attitude as much as the concussions and injuries.

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'll never argue against the importance of culture fit for any/all hires, so I'll give you that. I just dont believe it was the attitude as much as the concussions and injuries.

Durability certainly is a factor.

I think the Cardinals are a very interesting spot and it's especially interesting to see Rosen sharing a QB room with Bradford.  Rosen doesn't need the game.  That's not a question of his competitiveness or desire to play, I'm sure those are there, but realistically he doesn't "need" it.  It will be interesting if he sees Bradford's injury history come to light first hand, looks at a retiring Larry Fitzgerald in the next few years, a team in major transition, takes a couple head shots, still more is learned about the cumulative effect of head trauma in the game and hangs it up very early.  That' can't be ignored as a possibility.

24 minutes ago, Julio Hopkins said:

It's a stretch to call that pressure in his face and at his feet.  

nice play---but a jr high kid could do that

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He dropped to 10 because of the concussions. No doubt

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Durability certainly is a factor.

I think the Cardinals are a very interesting spot and it's especially interesting to see Rosen sharing a QB room with Bradford.  Rosen doesn't need the game.  That's not a question of his competitiveness or desire to play, I'm sure those are there, but realistically he doesn't "need" it.  It will be interesting if he sees Bradford's injury history come to light first hand, looks at a retiring Larry Fitzgerald in the next few years, a team in major transition, takes a couple head shots, still more is learned about the cumulative effect of head trauma in the game and hangs it up very early.  That' can't be ignored as a possibility.

Half joking, I would look at all the money Bradford has managed to milk out of teams while sitting in the training room his whole career, and think I'd stick around. :thumbsup:

I'm just really happy AZ jumped to 10 and screwed Miami out of the pick. It will be more fun to follow Rosen's career from the NFC West.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Half joking, I would look at all the money Bradford has managed to milk out of teams while sitting in the training room his whole career, and think I'd stick around. :thumbsup:

I'm just really happy AZ jumped to 10 and screwed Miami out of the pick. It will be more fun to follow Rosen's career from the NFC West.

I badly wanted Rosen as our QB.

But the vision of the rich kid from Cali getting his butt kicked over and over by Wilson, Jimmy G. and Goff in a division that has minimal impact on us is mildly amusing.

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I badly wanted Rosen as our QB.

But the vision of the rich kid from Cali getting his butt kicked over and over by Wilson, Jimmy G. and Goff in a division that has minimal impact on us is mildly amusing.

I wanted Rosen too, and I hope he does well just to prove everyone wrong.

• Like (+1) 1