Johnny Manziel reveals bipolar diagnosis; hopes to play again

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Honestly, good for him if he’s serious about getting his head right. 

I suspect the comeback fails and hope he takes his mental health seriously even if he hits a point where he doesn’t think he has a shot at the Nfl 

If the comeback fails I think he would a good fit to work for the TAMU program in some capacity (even one of those jobs where you golf with the boosters) and maybe tour college campuses to tell his story and maybe use it to help others.

8 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Tough diagnosis, often doesn’t manifest until early 20’s. Very scary condition.

Having watched someone self-destruct who I suspect has it, yes, it's very scary and self-medicating with alcohol and street drugs is very common. I hope the dude gets back on track.

My hope is people like Manziel speaking out will end the stigma behind talking about mental health and spur people to get help.

• Like (+1) 3

I know it’s not a popular opinion and I know it sounds completely off at this point in time, but I really believe this kid can play. If it’s ever just about football with him and not all the other garbage, I really think he can be a good player. Maybe he can do a Flutie route back to the NFL and take advantage of his second chance. If the plan is for him to actually play in Canada and nothing derails that before it starts..he will light those guys up. When he does, some NFL team will give him another shot.

• Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I know it’s not a popular opinion and I know it sounds completely off at this point in time, but I really believe this kid can play. If it’s ever just about football with him and not all the other garbage, I really think he can be a good player. Maybe he can do a Flutie route back to the NFL and take advantage of his second chance. If the plan is for him to actually play in Canada and nothing derails that before it starts..he will light those guys up. When he does, some NFL team will give him another shot.

I wish Manziel well, but don't wish him on any football team.....yes, he could get another NFL shot if he did well in Canada over a few years....but, the Canadian game suits him better......like Flutie actually.  I saw him throw his first TD pass in the NFL against the Bills......he didn't look out of place that day anyhow. (he came on in relief)

• Like (+1) 1

I would just tell him to embrace the CFL as a second chance and probably your last chance at football as a job. You won't be able to just leap past your time in the CFL with words and promises alone.

You are gonna have to take the CFL more serious then you did the NFL. You didn't prove yourself in the NFL so now you have to prove yourself in the CFL. You need to work harder in the CFL than you did in school to prove yourself ready for the NFL.

You EARNED the reputation you didn't want the NFL when it wanted you! You can take all those excuses and promises and wipe your bum with them, because they are worth nothing until you can prove you can sustain a level headed mentality and drive that deserves a second look. 

Do your time and be the Tom Brady of the CFL and maybe you will have a snowballs chance to step back into the big show. Now wipe that smile off your face Jimmy and get out of my office. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

I wish Manziel well, but don't wish him on any football team.....yes, he could get another NFL shot if he did well in Canada over a few years....but, the Canadian game suits him better......like Flutie actually.  I saw him throw his first TD pass in the NFL against the Bills......he didn't look out of place that day anyhow. (he came on in relief)

Sorry to nitpick but I remember a td run not a pass.

He really needs to get in touch with Brandon Marshall. Marshall went through a very similar situation and played in the league for a few years before things came to a head while in Miami and he finally was diagnosed and has continued on his career. He would be a great mentor. Johnny was an incredible college player and if he could ever translate that into the NFL after getting his head right he could be one of the greatest comeback stories of all time.

8 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Very pleasant surprise that all comments so far are encouraging and supportive. I honestly didn't expect that.  Good to see.

who doesn't have a friend or co-worker or relative that is under this horrible umbrella, or are there ourself....

2 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I'm bipolar, even with medication and therapy, you still cycle through depression and mania, albeit #1 not as severe and #2 not as often.

The meds will affect him physically, lithium and antipsychotics are tranquilizing and severely diminish your drive.

I'm not bipolar but have friends and family who are and This.  Meds stop working sometimes....it can take 6-8 weeks to adjust medication and dosages...it's a struggle.

For a position like Airline Pilot or Franchise QB, "No".

I have wondered if part of Marcell Dareus falloff was getting onto meds.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not bipolar but have friends and family who are and This.  Meds stop working sometimes....it can take 6-8 weeks to adjust medication and dosages...it's a struggle.

For a position like Airline Pilot or Franchise QB, "No".

I have wondered if part of Marcell Dareus falloff was getting onto meds.

Yes 100% correct. I wish Johhny the best. Explains a lot about his actions and behaviors.

Everything can be going along just fine and in a span of a few days person goes missing and found wandering around in a wooded/remote area naked praying to God. Or worse. Dead.

It would be a big gamble to invest multi millions into your QB leader with that DX. Players like WR, defense, ass coach, front office,  etc....  like Brandon Marshal with the personality disorder are easier to replace and carry on, than the most important guy on the field. QB.

9 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

It sucks, AND it's awesome!

A large portion of those in my life who were diagnosed before their 30s  had major drinking and drug problems as well.

I learned not to raise that as possibly contributing to the major downfall.... 

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Is Mike Evans also moving to CFL to play with Johnny to get catch his jump balls?   If not ,  I don't see how anyone can say that Manziel is going to light it up

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Honestly, good for him if he’s serious about getting his head right. 

I suspect the comeback fails and hope he takes his mental health seriously even if he hits a point where he doesn’t think he has a shot at the Nfl 

Oh ye of little faith in #ComebackSZN

Well, first off I have to wish Johnny Manziel the PERSON well. Hope he can get himself healthy first and foremost. Self medication is an extremely dangerous road...and not sure someone ever completely "recovers" from those temptations. There are some things that are bigger than football and hopefully he values his health more now.

As far as Johnny Football...good luck. I agree with most that he may do really well in the CFL. I think if he could go there and just be a student of the game he would increase his odds at returning to the NFL. There are QBs on NFL rosters right now that don't have the talent or development potential that he still has IMO. I don't think he would ever become a franchise QB, but a solid backup is not out of the question.

Im not 100% sold on this.  Seems like he was a person that had everything go his way.  Reality kicked in and now he has to grow up.

But hey, I'll sell it as Bipolar and hope a team gives me more money cuz I already spent the millions I earned before!

6 minutes ago, KW95 said:

Im not 100% sold on this.  Seems like he was a person that had everything go his way.  Reality kicked in and now he has to grow up.

But hey, I'll sell it as Bipolar and hope a team gives me more money cuz I already spent the millions I earned before!

That's a possibility.  I'd prefer he go to Canada and prove himself before he gets another shot at the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

...so after all of his mumblin', stumblin', grumblin', fumblin' antics and indiscretions, he now makes public he is a victim of bi-polar disorder?.......as the late great Flip Wilson would say, "the devil made me do it"........get help then because football opportunities are not in your cards even in the CFL..........it is a serious disease but playing this card NOW is woefully LOW IMO........