Bart Scott to mentor Reggie Ragland!

I felt as though this was big news and deserved its own thread. Bart Scott has offered his services to Reggie Ragland to teach him Rex's defense! He has promised to help him simplify it so that it's not overwhelming for him. Great news especially since Ragland is expected to step in and start at the same position as Bart day 1

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/24540/bart-scott-wants-to-mentor-bills-reggie-ragland-in-rex-ryans-defense

b3x42LX.png

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott sounds like a bright guy -- I've always wondered if the "complexity" of certain defenses was overblown. Looking at the concepts, not specific plays, makes all the sense in the world.

This could also be confirmation that Rex doesn't do a great job of simplifying the concepts for his players. All the more reason to bring in guys like Ed Reed who can help.

I hope Ragland takes Scott up on his offer -- it can't hurt.

Scott sounds like a bright guy -- I've always wondered if the "complexity" of certain defenses was overblown. Looking at the concepts, not specific plays, makes all the sense in the world.

This could also be confirmation that Rex doesn't do a great job of simplifying the concepts for his players. All the more reason to bring in guys like Ed Reed who can help.

The excuse that it's too complicated is just that losing culture rearing it's ugly head in the Bills locker room.

It's still just football. Some mentorship from veterans who were successful in this defense could prove invaluable.

I think it's more because Ragland is a rookie and will be asked to have important responsibilities. Also one of the things I read on Ragland is it takes him a while to learn the playbook but once he gets it down he retains.

Rex can't spend significant time with one player or a group so I don't think it's about him not being able to communicate his concepts - help is needed to accomplish it.

Would not expect Rex to be the one teach the plays, that is what position coaches do and when Rex depended on them there were some "communication" issues hence some were replaced.

How much of THIS exact defense could Scott know?

Terminology is often the biggest barrier. Like Scott said, Ragland probably knows a lot of what Rex is trying to do. Bart Scott will hopefully transfer the Rex terminology into something that Rags can comprehend easier

Many of us felt it would take the better part of a half-season or so for the players to become comfortable in the new defense. I doubt any of our players had experienced a defense with so many pre/post snap reads previously. That doesn't make it too complex, necessarily, these guys aren't new to the game afterall, but a learning curve was to be expected. It didn't help that several key members didn't buy in and began questioning everything, either.

GO BILLS!!!

Hope he gets the defense in order and has a more disciplined team this year, because there is certainly an upside to Rex as coach. Big hope though.

Discipline was the biggest issue IMO last year and discipline unlike teaching fundamentals of position or communicating to players is responsibility of head coach; it was the biggest flaw last year.

I felt as though this was big news and deserved its own thread. Bart Scott has offered his services to Reggie Ragland to teach him Rex's defense! He has promised to help him simplify it so that it's not overwhelming for him. Great news especially since Ragland is expected to step in and start at the same position as Bart day 1http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/24540/bart-scott-wants-to-mentor-bills-reggie-ragland-in-rex-ryans-defenseb3x42LX.png

This is good news. I say add Bart to the staff

is there a limit or even a salary cap on coaching staff like there is on players? I get that you can have special advisers that may not be a full time employee position, but does the league have a hard limit on number of coaches and amount you can spend?

is there a limit or even a salary cap on coaching staff like there is on players? I get that you can have special advisers that may not be a full time employee position, but does the league have a hard limit on number of coaches and amount you can spend?

Nope! Helps having a billionaire as an owner

what are the LB coaches for?

Scott was a very good player and loves Rex. If Scott can get Ragland to love playing for Rex and have Rex's back like Scott did, that is enough for me.

Who knows what the LB coaches do specifically. It's likely to be somewhat different on every staff. Maybe they just teach technique or moves and don't do much teaching on the scheme. Maybe they do. Maybe they dance because they want to and leave this world behind.

No, there is likely a limit on how many people and different voices can be useful though.

Edited by jeremy2020

What seemed to be the problem last year was a combination of problems, which somewhat morphed int the idea that the defense was too complex. What it looked like to me is that Rex and his coaches took WAAAYYYYY too much time to get the play call in. Teams were getting plays off quick on purpose. Brown was looking to the sidelines for the call, often looking impatient. Then turned around and made the call. Then BECAUSE they didn't really know the defense, they talked to each other a half second too long, and rarely looked completely ready when the ball was snapped. This caused a lot of missed assignments and missed tackles and whatever.

But the fact is, if they would have gotten the calls in quickly, the players probably would have had time to absorb the call and assignment and be more ready. That's on Rex and the coaches more than the players. But all we hear about is that the players didn't understand it.

I love it. Bart is a Rex guy. He excelled in his defense and could probably really help of he is making a serious gesture. I know this would also help his CBS career as a nice story. If it helps, great.

Lastly, that was so funny on can Preston sit in? I was thinking the same thing.

I love it. Bart is a Rex guy. He excelled in his defense and could probably really help of he is making a serious gesture. I know this would also help his CBS career as a nice story. If it helps, great.

Lastly, that was so funny on can Preston sit in? I was thinking the same thing.

PRESTOOONE!

https://youtu.be/uphjOgJwLHU?t=8

Also, I did not realize Jason Segal was in this movie.

Edited by That's No Moon

What seemed to be the problem last year was a combination of problems, which somewhat morphed int the idea that the defense was too complex. What it looked like to me is that Rex and his coaches took WAAAYYYYY too much time to get the play call in. Teams were getting plays off quick on purpose. Brown was looking to the sidelines for the call, often looking impatient. Then turned around and made the call. Then BECAUSE they didn't really know the defense, they talked to each other a half second too long, and rarely looked completely ready when the ball was snapped. This caused a lot of missed assignments and missed tackles and whatever.

But the fact is, if they would have gotten the calls in quickly, the players probably would have had time to absorb the call and assignment and be more ready. That's on Rex and the coaches more than the players. But all we hear about is that the players didn't understand it.

Was going to post something similar to this.

Maybe it was too complicated for the staff too!

Would not expect Rex to be the one teach the plays, that is what position coaches do and when Rex depended on them there were some "communication" issues hence some were replaced.

That's why he has a twin! And that's why his twin has a job. (But who knows how this turns out??????)

I thought that was/is a big part of Rexs defense.

Checks/audibles until the very last second to confuse the offense....

No, I think it's to confuse the defense. Or, that's the way it seems to turn out.

I thought that was/is a big part of Rexs defense.

Checks/audibles until the very last second to confuse the offense....

You really don't understand the difference between the base play call coming in, and pre-snap checks and movement?

Discipline was the biggest issue IMO last year and discipline unlike teaching fundamentals of position or communicating to players is responsibility of head coach; it was the biggest flaw last year.

Hughes for sure. Everyone else seemed in line and well coached, especially as the season went on. I tell everyone who thinks rex and thurman dont know what theyre doing to watch the 2nd pats game. Despite missing some key guys we played an impressive game defensively.

Wait...I thought Rex sucked? I'm confused.

If you judge a head coach by their record relative to their perceived roster talent then yes, he just had his worst year as a head coach. This is a smart move if true. Does not vindicate him whatsoever. Time to put up.