Bart Scott to mentor Reggie Ragland!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt as though this was big news and deserved its own thread. Bart Scott has offered his services to Reggie Ragland to teach him Rex's defense! He has promised to help him simplify it so that it's not overwhelming for him. Great news especially since Ragland is expected to step in and start at the same position as Bart day 1

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/24540/bart-scott-wants-to-mentor-bills-reggie-ragland-in-rex-ryans-defense

b3x42LX.png

Like a lot of people, I thought he was kind of a goon after the CAN'T WAIT incident, but after watching him on the CBS team, he seems like a really bright, insightful dude. I hope he helps Ragland adapt to the NFL.

Also, I know it's fashionable to hate on Rex, but it's cool how many of his former players are willing to help him succeed with a new team.

It seems strange that no where in the article do they quote or even ask Ragland what he thinks of the offer of this "mentor". Nor does anyone on the Bills comment on it.

Seems like Scott is interjecting himself here and promoting himself as a "consultant for Morgan Stanley's Global Sports and Entertainment division".

I'm guessing the Bills coaching staff isn't interested.

It seems strange that no where in the article do they quote or even ask Ragland what he thinks of the offer of this "mentor". Nor does anyone on the Bills comment on it.

Seems like Scott is interjecting himself here and promoting himself as a "consultant for Morgan Stanley's Global Sports and Entertainment division".

I'm guessing the Bills coaching staff isn't interested.

He's a Jets homer. Always trashing the Bills on CBS. I don't trust him.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

What seemed to be the problem last year was a combination of problems, which somewhat morphed int the idea that the defense was too complex. What it looked like to me is that Rex and his coaches took WAAAYYYYY too much time to get the play call in. Teams were getting plays off quick on purpose. Brown was looking to the sidelines for the call, often looking impatient. Then turned around and made the call. Then BECAUSE they didn't really know the defense, they talked to each other a half second too long, and rarely looked completely ready when the ball was snapped. This caused a lot of missed assignments and missed tackles and whatever.

But the fact is, if they would have gotten the calls in quickly, the players probably would have had time to absorb the call and assignment and be more ready. That's on Rex and the coaches more than the players. But all we hear about is that the players didn't understand it.

Or a big part of the confusion really was Rex trying to run a hybrid defense and that contributed to the confusion with the play calls. His staff was also learning something new on the fly.

Wait...I thought Rex sucked? I'm confused.

So here is what we're supposed to view as Rex not sucking:

For half a decade running his defenses have failed

On a new team that had led the league in sacks and was rated #4 overall, he came in and complained that it should have been #1 and proceeded to take it to #19 overall and #31 in sacks.

He hired his brother to help....the same brother about which Sean Payton complained that calls were not getting to the defense on time

Whaley worked the draft and has theoretically gotten us the LB Rex needs. "The new Bart Scott".

It is ALREADY being floated that Ragland won't be able to pick up the defense and he will need the help of the actual Bart Scott.

I will give you that Rex's former players still feeling the way they do about him is a positive. That much is true.

The fact that his defenses have sucked for a long time now is not because Bart Scott has been missing and it is not because today's educational system has failed. It is because the way to beat his defense has been figured out and he has been unable to adjust. If Scott is actually brought in to help it is a bad sign, not a good sign. It is Rex fully pregnant and doubling down on an antiquated scheme and setting up blame to be pointed at the new LB who just can't seem to learn.

I have nothing against Bart Scott beyond his negativity toward Buffalo and he may one day be a good coach. Bringing him in here says nothing bad about him but it would be a sign that our defense may well suck again in 2016.

Ed Reed and Rob Ryan to help teach this D. Scott would be another help if hired also.

Scott has nothing to do with the Bills. He's injecting himself into this story uninvited. He's just promoting his "brand". In fact this thread title is misleading: Ragland probably found out about this by reading that article.

Ed Reed and the dumpster pick up of Rob Ryan don't constitute "spending a lot on coaching". Ryan probably works for meals.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Ed Reed and Rob Ryan to help teach this D. Scott would be another help if hired also.

I think Rob Ryan is an awful addition to this staff.....why couldn't last seasons staff teach this defense? They were mostly Ryan's long time assistants, correct?

What seemed to be the problem last year was a combination of problems, which somewhat morphed int the idea that the defense was too complex. What it looked like to me is that Rex and his coaches took WAAAYYYYY too much time to get the play call in. Teams were getting plays off quick on purpose. Brown was looking to the sidelines for the call, often looking impatient. Then turned around and made the call. Then BECAUSE they didn't really know the defense, they talked to each other a half second too long, and rarely looked completely ready when the ball was snapped. This caused a lot of missed assignments and missed tackles and whatever.

But the fact is, if they would have gotten the calls in quickly, the players probably would have had time to absorb the call and assignment and be more ready. That's on Rex and the coaches more than the players. But all we hear about is that the players didn't understand it.

I'm glad you pointed this out. The defense looked confused on most plays and weren't set. It was painful to watch.

On a new team that had led the league in sacks and was rated #4 overall, he came in and complained that it should have been #1 and proceeded to take it to #19 overall and #31 in sacks.

He hired his brother to help....the same brother about which Sean Payton complained that calls were not getting to the defense on time

Whaley worked the draft and has theoretically gotten us the LB Rex needs. "The new Bart Scott".

It is ALREADY being floated that Ragland won't be able to pick up the defense and he will need the help of the actual Bart Scott.

I will give you that Rex's former players still feeling the way they do about him is a positive. That much is true.

The fact that his defenses have sucked for a long time now is not because Bart Scott has been missing and it is not because today's educational system has failed. It is because the way to beat his defense has been figured out and he has been unable to adjust. If Scott is actually brought in to help it is a bad sign, not a good sign. It is Rex fully pregnant and doubling down on an antiquated scheme and setting up blame to be pointed at the new LB who just can't seem to learn.

I have nothing against Bart Scott beyond his negativity toward Buffalo and he may one day be a good coach. Bringing him in here says nothing bad about him but it would be a sign that our defense may well suck again in 2016.

I'm just curious....

What weaknesses in Rex's scheme have other teams exploited? How is Rex's 3-4 scheme inferior to other 3-4 schemes that are more successful? In what ways are Rex's ideas "antiquated"?

I'm not saying you're wrong. But if you are going to make X-and-O assertions, you have to back them up with actual X-and-O facts and knowledge.

Alternative theory: could it be that Rex was most effective in NY when he had good players and less effective when he had bad players?

There's no doubt he screwed the pooch last year. But I'm interested to see what Rex will do this year with a modified roster and a "fully pregnant" approach. Getting some true believers like Ed Reed and - potentially - Bart Scott to help can't be bad.

Thats awesome.

This is where you really notice how much players like and respect Rex.

For a former player, 3 years out of the league to offer to mentor one of Ryans new players free of charge is awesome.

Shows how much respect Rex still has from his former players

CBF

I'm just curious....

What weaknesses in Rex's scheme have other teams exploited? How is Rex's 3-4 scheme inferior to other 3-4 schemes that are more successful? In what ways are Rex's ideas "antiquated"?

I'm not saying you're wrong. But if you are going to make X-and-O assertions, you have to back them up with actual X-and-O facts and knowledge.

Alternative theory: could it be that Rex was most effective in NY when he had good players and less effective when he had bad players?

There's no doubt he screwed the pooch last year. But I'm interested to see what Rex will do this year with a modified roster and a "fully pregnant" approach. Getting some true believers like Ed Reed and - potentially - Bart Scott to help can't be bad.

I am not an x's and o's guy but like you i saw the defense fail last year as Rex's defenses did for years running before last year.

One specific is that the other teams seem to have figured out that changing personnel and calling plays quickly easily beat Rex's D. It was said many times by our own players. This may be because of our inept execution in play calling or because there is no way to get the complex call in on time given the structure designed in a different era. It won't just start "working again" without changes. Rex's answer to that was calling Preston Brown dumb. He needs a better fully pregnant answer. The Bart Scott thing seems like a set up to call Ragland dumb at a later date.

You can call Mario Williams a lot of things, but "bad player" is a stretch.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Thats awesome.

This is where you really notice how much players like and respect Rex.

For a former player, 3 years out of the league to offer to mentor one of Ryans new players free of charge is awesome.

Shows how much respect Rex still has from his former players

CBF

i have a sneaking suspicion that its not that rare, its just not that public normally.

and if anyone should love rex, its the guy that had rex camping outside his house to give him a monster deal. that said, it was a monster deal to come help him create culture.... whether that works without him wearing a pad and helmet i am not sure, but im by no means upset.

FWIW (and not to get TOO far off topic), but both Heath Evans and Michael Robinson trashed Mario pretty hard last night. They called him selfish and said that he was an older player in the locker room that didn't want to learn / buy-into Rex's system and influenced some of the younger players with his bad attitude. Robinson went so far as to say they HAD to get him out of the building ASAP. Heath Evans also said "people want to think that Rex came in here and forgot how to coach D, that's not the case".

While Mario isn't a bad player, he certainly didn't play up to his level and that was HIS choice.

I searched around nfl.com, but didn't see the video, hopefully they'll put it up though...

FWIW (and not to get TOO far off topic), but both Heath Evans and Michael Robinson trashed Mario pretty hard last night. They called him selfish and said that he was an older player in the locker room that didn't want to learn / buy-into Rex's system and influenced some of the younger players with his bad attitude. Robinson went so far as to say they HAD to get him out of the building ASAP. Heath Evans also said "people want to think that Rex came in here and forgot how to coach D, that's not the case".

While Mario isn't a bad player, he certainly didn't play up to his level and that was HIS choice.

I searched around nfl.com, but didn't see the video, hopefully they'll put it up though...

ive got to say -- if Mario was being that destructive why didnt rex send a message?

theres really no way to redeem what happened on the coaching side. all we can do is hope that it doesnt repeat this year.

ive got to say -- if Mario was being that destructive why didnt rex send a message?

theres really no way to redeem what happened on the coaching side. all we can do is hope that it doesnt repeat this year.

He's incapable. He's never been that coach. He was never going to stand up to a star player. He's the World's Most Famous Player's Coach.

I agree 100% about Mario (and I used to be one of his biggest defenders).

It is curious just how many threads on this site devolve into Rex haters pushing their own narrative.

Re Mario: Anyone with eyes could see that he went on strike. It was embarrassing for him. Say what you will about Rex, Mario is just about the only player (except for maybe that back up Jets TE) who ever seemed to have an issue with Rex. That says more about Mario than Rex.

Re Rex: It must kill the Rex haters every time a draft pick or other player says how excited he is to be playing for Rex. Doug Whaley even said on the radio the other day how agents have told him that Buffalo has become a target destination because of both the Pegulas and Rex.

P.S. The advantage of Bart Scott helping out is that the Bills' coaches are restricted in how much contact they may have with players in the off season.

Edited by Peter

I am not an x's and o's guy but like you i saw the defense fail last year as Rex's defenses did for years running before last year.

One specific is that the other teams seem to have figured out that changing personnel and calling plays quickly easily beat Rex's D. It was said many times by our own players. This may be because of our inept execution in play calling or because there is no way to get the complex call in on time given the structure designed in a different era. It won't just start "working again" without changes. Rex's answer to that was calling Preston Brown dumb. He needs a better fully pregnant answer. The Bart Scott thing seems like a set up to call Ragland dumb at a later date.

Fair enough: The D regressed last year and part of the problem was late calls.

But who is the real Rex Ryan? We've seen him do some really good work as a DC in Baltimore and as a de facto DC in New York.

We've seen him produce some disappointing results too - both in NY and here.

Yet his ex-players - who know him far better than any fan - seem to have confidence in him and his scheme.

There are enough contradictory data points that I'm wait-and-see on Rex.

Edited by hondo in seattle

It is curious just how many threads on this site devolve into Rex haters pushing their own narrative.

Re Mario: Anyone with eyes could see that he went on strike. It was embarrassing for him. Say what you will about Rex, Mario is just about the only player (except for maybe that back up Jets TE) who ever seemed to have an issue with Rex. That says more about Mario than Rex.

Re Rex: It must kill the Rex haters every time a draft pick or other player says how excited he is to be playing for Rex. Doug Whaley even said on the radio the other day how agents have told him that Buffalo has become a target destination because of both the Pegulas and Rex.

P.S. The advantage of Bart Scott helping out is that the Bills' coaches are restricted in how much contact they may have with players in the off season.

IMO the threads do not "devolve" into Rex hating. The premise of this thread is how great things are because Bart Scott may come in and teach out new LB. I would call that Rex loving....or at least rose colored glasses. I can't speak for others but I disagree with the premise as it indicates a need for outside help......not a good thing.

Last year's April/May talk was very positive as well. I was one of the upbeat ones. But results on the field negated the 2015 upbeat talk.....now results are all forgotten and it is back to the upbeat. Personally, I am looking forward to being upbeat after seeing results.....results that I sadly do not anticipate. I prefer to be wrong here and strongly believe Whaley has done his job and then some to set us up well. But we still can't rose colored glasses our way to actual results.

Yet his ex-players - who know him far better than any fan - seem to have confidence in him and his scheme.

There are enough contradictory data points that I'm wait-and-see on Rex.

At the end of the day we're all wait and see on everyone. And that's ok.

I can't buy into the confidence of Rex's ex-players who played before the defense had been deciphered. I'm sure Bart Starr thinks the offense he ran would still work but it probably wouldn't.

Every day your caricature of a ridiculous forum poster makes me laugh. Thank you for your dedication to the character.

Nope! Helps having a billionaire as an owner

exactly!!!

regardless of the reality of the matter.

Rex has built quite a family, he supports them and they him.

Having the Pegulas willing to invest in Coaches from top to bottom is refreshing.

Rex's actual comments (since I'm tired of seeing this posted and re-posted as if it is fact):

"It's not good enough to just know your job. You've got to bark it out and be the quarterback back there," Ryan said of Brown at the NFL Combine this year. "And he can do it. He's a smart enough kid, and his dad is a football coach. So he's got to come out of his shell. David Harris was a quiet guy, but on the football field he ran the whole thing. He's got to grow into it. It doesn't happen overnight. I think when you come into a new system, it's tougher to play, but yeah, I expect Preston to be able to take that step - and he needs to."

"He has the physical attributes you look for in a Mike linebacker, an inside 'backer," Ryan said this week, reiterating and expanding on previous comments. "He really does. And he's a good football player. But that spot, in particular, it's like a quarterback of the defense. You're in the middle of it, you need to step up and communicate that way. I know it's not his personality off the field, he's a very quiet individual. But you've got to be a leader on it. That's the challenge to Preston, and he understands that. We'll see how he does in that role."

----------------------

So, where exactly did Rex call Preston dumb? Rex called Preston shy and said he needs to "come out of his shell."

And wow, for someone who admits "I'm not an x's and o's guy" you sure spout off a lot about what defenses should or shouldn't work.

Rex's actual comments (since I'm tired of seeing this posted and re-posted as if it is fact):

"It's not good enough to just know your job. You've got to bark it out and be the quarterback back there," Ryan said of Brown at the NFL Combine this year. "And he can do it. He's a smart enough kid, and his dad is a football coach. So he's got to come out of his shell. David Harris was a quiet guy, but on the football field he ran the whole thing. He's got to grow into it. It doesn't happen overnight. I think when you come into a new system, it's tougher to play, but yeah, I expect Preston to be able to take that step - and he needs to."

"He has the physical attributes you look for in a Mike linebacker, an inside 'backer," Ryan said this week, reiterating and expanding on previous comments. "He really does. And he's a good football player. But that spot, in particular, it's like a quarterback of the defense. You're in the middle of it, you need to step up and communicate that way. I know it's not his personality off the field, he's a very quiet individual. But you've got to be a leader on it. That's the challenge to Preston, and he understands that. We'll see how he does in that role."

----------------------

So, where exactly did Rex call Preston dumb? Rex called Preston shy and said he needs to "come out of his shell."

And wow, for someone who admits "I'm not an x's and o's guy" you sure spout off a lot about what defenses should or shouldn't work.

It's called a left handed compliment. "He's a smart enough kid" is in direct contrast to the implication in the first sentence that Brown knew his job. If he in fact knew his job then why add the "smart enough" comment? It makes no sense. It does not take any smarts to be loud. None. So why insert that comment in there? Then he doubles down with "his dad is a football coach". That also has nothing to do with yelling, but more to do with acumen.

It's all a deflection. What the heck was Brown supposed to yell when the play call came in with no time left?

Maybe Ragland will come in and be the leader. He certainly seems the type. Is he smart enough to translate Rex's D in a nanosecond and communicate it to the other 10 guys? Is Stephen Hawking? I guess we'll find out, but we already know that Bart Scott thinks he'll need help.

Wow, draftees actually saying how excited they are about the team that just drafted them? How low is the bar then?

And what does it say about Rex when, week after week, the whole of Bills fandom watches his best defensive player openly dogging it---and just lets it slide?

He's been here for a little over one year so I can see your point...we should have risen to #1 defense or #2 at a minimum. I'm willing to give him more time because as much as people wanted Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden or any other high profile hard ass coach, Rex appeals to the players, the fans (mostly) and the media. Will it last? No idea. But he ran an amazing defense in Baltimore when he had the tools. He ran another strong D for the Jets as well. In fact, Bellichick ran a great D for the Giants and then bombed in Cleveland. I suppose if NE gave him the boot after his first year we may have won more Championships. But those !@#$ers kept him around and the rest is history. I understand your frustration (and I am not saying Rex is Hoodie-like), but I'm ok waiting for the imminent turnaround.

He's been here for a little over one year so I can see your point...we should have risen to #1 defense or #2 at a minimum. I'm willing to give him more time because as much as people wanted Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden or any other high profile hard ass coach, Rex appeals to the players, the fans (mostly) and the media. Will it last? No idea. But he ran an amazing defense in Baltimore when he had the tools. He ran another strong D for the Jets as well. In fact, Bellichick ran a great D for the Giants and then bombed in Cleveland. I suppose if NE gave him the boot after his first year we may have won more Championships. But those !@#$ers kept him around and the rest is history. I understand your frustration (and I am not saying Rex is Hoodie-like), but I'm ok waiting for the imminent turnaround.

Am I the one that said the defense should be #1 in 2015 or was that Rex that said that?

Am I the one that said the defense should be #1 in 2015 or was that Rex that said that?

Actually, I think what Rex said is that he wouldn't be satisfied being "just" #4. And I don't find any fault in that statement. I don't think he said "we will be #1" but if I'm recalling things incorrectly I apologize.

I would hate to believe anyone doubts that Rex wants to have the best defense in football -- there is simply disagreement over whether he has the ability to make that happen, and to what extent different factors played in last year's regression.

My only guess is they had nobody on the roster. I think things are different if bills snagged Coples for half season

Actually, I think what Rex said is that he wouldn't be satisfied being "just" #4. And I don't find any fault in that statement. I don't think he said "we will be #1" but if I'm recalling things incorrectly I apologize.

I would hate to believe anyone doubts that Rex wants to have the best defense in football -- there is simply disagreement over whether he has the ability to make that happen, and to what extent different factors played in last year's regression.

Well I agree with the second half of your post we just fall into opposite categories when it comes to his ability. We'll see and I'm rooting for your point of view.

Somebody said we'd be #1 but you may be right about Rex saying #4 would not be satisfying. It may have been one of the players saying we'd be #1 and not Rex.

If we had been #4 and Rex was satisfied I wonder what our W/L record might have been.

Wow, draftees actually saying how excited they are about the team that just drafted them? How low is the bar then?

And what does it say about Rex when, week after week, the whole of Bills fandom watches his best defensive player openly dogging it---and just lets it slide?

Oh brother.

Listen to just how excited they are to play for Rex. One would have to have an agenda not to notice the difference in how players are responding and excited to play for Rex (as opposed to prior coaches we have had).

As for Mario:

(1) Mario cannot ever be considered the best player when he went on strike for the year;

(2) There is not one guy -- other than Mario -- who pulled this sh%t while playing for Rex in Rex's entire coaching career. Mario is the outlier - not a typical example of how players have responded to Rex.

Of course, you already know that.

Edited by Peter