Milano as trade compensation

Matt Milano. 

The all pro best LB on the roster, whos replacement was already drafted.  Would it be crazy for them to trade him now on an attempt to move up? Possibly.

But he has had some availability issues over the years. And the negative is him coming off a knee injury, but otherwise this would be a perfect sell high moment.

If a team was willing, it would be perhaps the best way to move up without sacrificing a boatload of future picks 

Discuss 

Edited by Sharky7337
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 29
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Shocked 1
  • Angry 1
  • Disagree 17
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 17

Doubt he’s worth more than a 4th/5th rounder at this point.  LB’s who don’t have double digit sack numbers aren’t valued very highly in today’s NFL.  I’ll be glad to have him back, but likely his best days are behind him.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Disagree 5
  • Agree 1

Interesting idea, and honestly...I wouldn't hate it.

As the OP eluded to...Matt Milano has had some trouble with injuries, and he's likely trending on the backend of his prime.

If the right deal came along, I'd be open to this move. The team is looking to reload and fill the roster with young talent. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Matt Milano. 

No this isn't a ad spam on your fav website.

The all pro best LB on the roster, whos replacement was already drafted.  Would it be crazy for them to trade him now on an attempt to move up? Possibly.

But he has had some availability issues over the years. And the negative is him coming off a knee injury, but otherwise this would be a perfect sell high moment.

If a team was willing, it would be perhaps the best way to move up without sacrificing a boatload of future picks 

Discuss 

And what kind of value would you expect another GM to place on a player that you describe yourself as having "availability issues coming off a knees injury"?

This would actually be a "sell low" situation for Milano. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

So we're going to trade a former first team all-pro for peanuts because he's injury prone to garbage turf in London?  

I think the fact that Lavonte david, demario davis, Bobby Wagner, and CJ mosely have all continued to perform into their 30s makes me a bit more comfortable with him at his age.  Not to mention - he was playing fantastic football to start the season.  Why add MORE new faces to a defense in flux? 

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

May be, but I hope not.  He is possibly the best defensive player on the Bills.

Dawson Knox is a more likely trade candidate, I think, especially if it helps the Bills move up to get the player they want--and if the team is willing to pay a high percentage of Knox's salary.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I don’t hate the idea, but I don’t think MM is worth as much on the market as he is on our roster. 

The bolded is exactly right. 

2 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Dawson Knox is a more likely trade candidate, I think, especially if it helps the Bills move up to get the player they want--and if the team is willing to pay a high percentage of Knox's salary.

It would be really bad form to agree a pay cut with a player to help your roster construction and then trade him. I suspect Beane had guaranteed Dawson he is here for at least 2024. The reputational damage you do with agents of making a move like that overrides any trade value you might elicit IMO.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2

Milano and Bernard together were a force in this defense early, before the injury took Milano out for the season. I want to see them together for a full year. I think those two playing behind a revamped interior is going to pay big dividends.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

• Simon changed the title to [Vague Title]
38 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Matt Milano. 

No this isn't a ad spam on your fav website.

Discuss 

Milano's replacement was a platoon of Tyrell Dodson and Jordan Poyer, because Williams didn't "cut the mustard" yet.

Given that both Dodson and Poyer are gone now, why would it make sense to gut one of 2 units on the team that look to be returning intact, kind of?

I don't know what Beane will or won't do.  I was shocked that he traded Diggs.   I was also surprised that he released Poyer, given that the cap savings were $5.4M and that Poyer signed a 2 year contract "with the intention to retire a Bill", and that Hyde was gone in FA and Tre White designated as a cut.  McDermott is very big on maintaining continuity and veteran leadership.

But I don't think it would be the "best way" to move up.

• Agree 1

I didn't think the original title was vague

trading Milano would maybe allow us to move from round 5 back into round 4... Personally I believe he has more value being on the team

43 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

If they did, it would mean they're super confident in Bernard and Williams. 

Super confident in Williams as far as what, they played like 4 other shmucks ahead of him last year.  The guy has talent and hopefully it all comes together for him but I think the team demonstrated a big lack of confidence in him last year.

Wild draft idea? Trade 2025 1st/2nd/3rd and move down 28 to 35 with AZ. for no.4

Then trade back a bit for a 2nd this year and 3rd next...

Then again for a 3rd this year and 2nd next.

Take BT. maybe 18 -20

Have 3 2nds and 1 3rd plus 2 of next years picks back.

Basically getting to no. 4 with 1 1st and 7 spots.

OMG 14 more days...

• Haha (+1) 1

• Sharky7337 changed the title to Milano as trade compensation
45 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

If they did, it would mean they're super confident in Bernard and Williams. 

Bernards a stud. Can't see how they wouldn't be super confident in him. Played like a pro bowler/borderline all pro. 

Regardless of how they feel on Williams,  no chance they move Milano. It's not like he's coming off an acl. He'll be ready for all off season programs.

I personally do love Williams as depth though but Milano in another level,  and a top 3 LB on a reasonable contract.

Remember folks, we get over 10 mil on the cap after 6/1 from Tres release 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

As the OP eluded to...Matt Milano has had some trouble with injuries, and he's likely trending on the backend of his prime.

I don’t think he was eluding to it. I think he was very direct.

You guys do know that you wouldn't receive much more for Milano than what you received for Ryan Bates right? 

What world do you guys live in where you think Milano would go for anything more than a late 4th? 30 year old off ball linebackers are simply not a sought after position in the NFL. 

Long story short. Milano means 100 times more to the Buffalo Bills than any other NFL defense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

After the Diggs trade I hesitate to call any Bills contract 'untradeable'....but Milano is untradeable.

He has a 12.4mm active cap hit for the 2024 season. That turns into 25.2mm dead cap if we trade him prior to June 1st. It's 7.9mm dead cap in 2024 and 17.3mm dead cap in 2025 if it's a post June 1st trade.  

I think we'd need at least a 1st rd pick to make a Milano trade feasible, and what GM in their right mind is offering a 1st for a 29 year old LB coming off a major injury?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sharky7337 said:

Matt Milano. 

Discuss 

I had the same thought, but no. Two reasons. Contract. We don’t have the room to absorb his dead money. Also not coming off of that injury. Teams would need to know what they’d be getting in a trade and they wouldn’t. Otherwise it would be something to consider as he’s 30 before this season. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

May be, but I hope not.  He is possibly the best defensive player on the Bills.

Exactly,  you can trade Knox all day long as far as I'm concerned.  But Milano is still too valuable to our defense. The biggest question mark is how he looks post injury?

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Bernards a stud. Can't see how they wouldn't be super confident in him. Played like a pro bowler/borderline all pro. 

Regardless of how they feel on Williams,  no chance they move Milano. It's not like he's coming off an acl. He'll be ready for all off season programs.

I personally do love Williams as depth though but Milano in another level,  and a top 3 LB on a reasonable contract.

Remember folks, we get over 10 mil on the cap after 6/1 from Tres release 

I liked Bernard because he saw the field in a way that lead to pass breakups and turnovers.  Edmunds was a good player, and his ability to take away passing lanes likely results in the QB holding the ball which forces sacks and throwaways.  He just never developed that instinctual nature that milano and bernard possess (and all the great off ball linebackers have).

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Exactly,  you can trade Knox all day long as far as I'm concerned.  But Milano is still too valuable to our defense. The biggest question mark is how he looks post injury?

I think you would get more out of trading spencer brown.  Low cap hit for 2024 (most teams have spent a lot of their cap budgets to this point in the season), he's 26, and he's due an extension in 2025.  It'd be basically like moving a potential comp pick from 2026 to today - but considering we'll likely be spenders in 2025, you would potentially be losing him for nothing.  This assumes you are comfortable with collins or van demark at RT.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue

3 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I liked Bernard because he saw the field in a way that lead to pass breakups and turnovers.  Edmunds was a good player, and his ability to take away passing lanes likely results in the QB holding the ball which forces sacks and throwaways.  He just never developed that instinctual nature that milano and bernard possess (and all the great off ball linebackers have).

I agree this is true, but I also think Edmunds was just not as good an athlete as the other two guys.

16 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

We should just trade all of our good players if we trade Milano

We pretty much cut all of them already of traded them and or didn't re sign. Lol

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Started to see Milano and Bernard becoming a terrifying duo last year why would we want to see that again, I just don't get some of these ideas.

Because it's clear the young guy behind him has potential, is cheaper, and younger, and we already have played like two seasons without him for significant portions anyways.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Doubt he’s worth more than a 4th/5th rounder at this point.  LB’s who don’t have double digit sack numbers aren’t valued very highly in today’s NFL.  I’ll be glad to have him back, but likely his best days are behind him.  

This is so untrue.

https://deadspin.com/2023-nfl-sacks-leaders-1850875599 

Of the names on here. The only two "real" LBs who don't put their hand in the ground is Hassan Reddick and Josh Allen but even they does some times. Roquan Smith isn't on there, no value? Fred Warner not on there, no value? Dre Greenlaw, Quincy Williams, CJ Mosley.... Milano ..  Cmon man.  

Edited by warrior9
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Simon said:

I agree this is true, but I also think Edmunds was just not as good an athlete as the other two guys.

To be truthful, I don't think Edmunds enjoyed contact.

Mitch Morse said about Josh Allen that "he's sick in the head because he likes it" (meaning contact, running people over, taking a good hit).  Richard Sherman talked about the first time he went to tackle Josh Allen, Josh lowered his shoulder and Sherman was thinking "oh, OK now, you the QB and you're going to lower your shoulder, let's go".   He said "next thing I know, I'm on the ground, you see them little blinks".

You would know more than me, but I've heard football players talk about the buzz they get from contact, it goes white, "you see them little blinks", it's an adrenaline rush.  They all get desensitized to the pain of contact where instead of taking over their nervous system with a rush of sensation, the brain says "OK, no injury there, Carry On", but the ones who play with joy and abandon actually get something enjoyable from a good hit.  "You need a little contact"

I could be wrong, I just don't think Edmunds ever enjoyed or got into hitting or taking hits.  Whereas you can tell Bernard and Williams are "Bring It!". 

Taylor Rapp is a bit *TOO* "bring it!".

Just now, Beck Water said:

To be truthful, I don't think Edmunds enjoyed contact.

Mitch Morse said about Josh Allen that "he's sick in the head because he likes it" (meaning contact, running people over, taking a good hit).  Richard Sherman talked about the first time he went to tackle Josh Allen, Josh lowered his shoulder and Sherman was thinking "oh, OK now, you the QB and you're going to lower your shoulder, let's go".   He said "next thing I know, I'm on the ground, you see them little blinks".

You would know more than me, but I've heard football players talk about the buzz they get from contact, it goes white, "you see them little blinks", it's an adrenaline rush.  They all get desensitized to the pain of contact where instead of taking over their nervous system with a rush of sensation, the brain says "OK, no injury there, Carry On", but the ones who play with joy and abandon actually get something enjoyable from a good hit.  "You need a little contact"

I could be wrong, I just don't think Edmunds ever enjoyed or got into hitting or taking hits.  Whereas you can tell Bernard and Williams are "Bring It!". 

Taylor Rapp is a bit *TOO* "bring it!".

Part of why safety in the 2nd is still very much in play IMO. 

11 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Started to see Milano and Bernard becoming a terrifying duo last year why would we want to see that again, I just don't get some of these ideas.

So, you don’t like the idea of giving away one of our most impactful players on the team for a bag of used balls? He’s a fit for our scheme, and he’s coming off significant injury reducing his trade value. I’d rather let him get healthy and help us win games. 

• Agree 3

15 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Because it's clear the young guy behind him has potential, is cheaper, and younger, and we already have played like two seasons without him for significant portions anyways.

This isn't accurate across his entire career Milano has missed 19/115 games and that's including end of the season games where he's a healthy scratch because seeding was already decided. As for Williams his potential to fit in a similar way is nice but that's about all it is at this point just us talking about it, which isn't something I'd like to rely on.

To me the idea isn’t awful awful but really to me the value has to exceed the importance to team. 

Im very high on Dorian Williams and believe he’s a future high end starter but it also means you have to spend another high midrounder on a LB for depth with two undersized LB. 

If you’re telling me someone is willing to part with a 2nd I probably do it for the reasons many have laid out. He has some injuries, he’s aging, and he’s not very big plus has a bigger contract but if I’m getting a mid rounder than no thanks