And we're on to.. Aiyuk?

JMM

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Not starting any Bills speculation but I gotta admit on Day 3 after the Bills take a WR in the first to follow up a deal with Brandon for a 2025 pick or two wouldn’t be the worst thing 

Honestly if that’s all it took was a 2025 pick (preferably one of our second rounders or later) I’d be stoked. He’s a much better fit for what we do than Higgins. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, HardyBoy said:

They have cap space next year and will get more after June 1st for this year, I would imagine they could make something work with a back loaded deal in terms of salary and void years and then restructure next year so it's not so back loaded... maybe, I'm not sure how it works

They COULD make something work for sure, but it’ll put us right back into cap hell for the next 5 years.  I don’t think that’s the MO.  Extending Diggs to sign Von was the splurge to win a SB the last 2 seasons.  Vons injury ended that version of “all in”.  It’s the next chapter.  Not a rebuild, just the next chapter.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

Getting Aiyuk would be huge. Diggs deal part deux. Would feel pretty damn confident going into the season with him as the number 1 and paired with one of these rookies. Toss in Samuel and Shakir and you just may have something here. 

• Like (+1) 1

𝗪𝗥𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗵𝗮𝗱 𝟰𝟬 𝗼𝗿 𝗺𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝟮𝟬+ 𝘆𝗮𝗿𝗱 𝗿𝗲𝗰𝗲𝗶𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝘀 𝗶𝗻 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟰 💪🏻⬇️

🚀 Tyreek Hill (57)
🚀 Brandon Aiyuk (42)
🚀 Amari Cooper (42)
🚀 George Pickens (42)
🚀 CeeDee Lamb (41)
🚀 DJ Moore (41)
🚀 Nico Collins (41)
🚀 Puka Nacua (40)

hmmm well… he does have the explosive plays

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

the only WR’s I’d really like in a trade are  DK Metcalf (almost certainly not happening) or Courtland Sutton for a 4th.  The other players IMO aren’t worth the capital + cost

It makes way more sense to me to spend a bit more draft capital for one of the top 3 or BTJ.  We then have them for 5 years at a far lower $ cost

not to mention OBJ is a FA. 

I mean depending on compensation, he’s a good player….but the guy’s attitude is something we just traded….

His attitude could be even worse. He does a lot of talking on the field and he's gotten penalized for it many times. 

• Eyeroll 1

28 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Swap 1st rounders this year (which amounts to a 4th) plus next years 1st.  Bills can attack draft same way as if they had Diggs.  

Problem is they don’t have the cap space to get him on the team ($14m)  and then redo his deal…  they gunna end up having to pay him $24m + a year then …

Think it’s just too hard …

• Dislike 1

4 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

They have cap space next year and will get more after June 1st for this year, I would imagine they could make something work with a back loaded deal in terms of salary and void years and then restructure next year so it's not so back loaded... maybe, I'm not sure how it works

As of right now they have just under $6m in 2025 cap space.

• Eyeroll 1

𝗪𝗥𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗵𝗮𝗱 𝟰𝟬 𝗼𝗿 𝗺𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝟮𝟬+ 𝘆𝗮𝗿𝗱 𝗿𝗲𝗰𝗲𝗶𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝘀 𝗶𝗻 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟰 💪🏻⬇️

🚀 Tyreek Hill (57)
🚀 Brandon Aiyuk (42)
🚀 Amari Cooper (42)
🚀 George Pickens (42)
🚀 CeeDee Lamb (41)
🚀 DJ Moore (41)
🚀 Nico Collins (41)
🚀 Puka Nacua (40)

hmmm well… he does have the explosive plays

He’s every bit as good or better than Diggs was before coming to Buffalo. The potential is there for him to be elite.

Problem is you’d have to pay him before we see how he’ll fit here. Thats always risky. Diggs was on a friendly deal for a WR1 when we traded for him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MJS said:

I want to roll with a couple of young, talented rookies, personally, plus the weapons we already have.

Hope Thomas or Mitchell fall to near 28. Then trade up in the 2nd to get Legette or Franklin. You land 2 rookies like that to compliment Kincaid, Shakir & Samuel and Josh will be just fine spreading the wealth.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I agree with others that said we dumped Diggs to get out of cap hell, so why would the Bills just do this again 🤷‍♂️

The cap does not seem to be the only factor that went into parting ways with Diggs imho

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

10 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I don't see us trading for him.  And even if we did, we aren't trading for him as young as he is AND taking a WR high in the draft.

I can not see Beane doing that.

I could if the compensation was like only a 2nd rounder next year and a couple scattered late round picks.

Aiyuk is a good WR, he truly is, but I just can't see us trading for a guy who is looking for the $$$ he's looking for. We won't do it. I think Beane and McDermott want a guy on rookie contract for 5 years, and they have a couple of guys in mind already. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

6 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I agree with others that said we dumped Diggs to get out of cap hell, so why would the Bills just do this again 🤷‍♂️

Because he won't put us in Cap Hell. He is way cheaper than Diggs was and with a new deal could come much cheaper in the long run

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

The cap does not seem to be the only factor that went into parting ways with Diggs imho

You're right as there were definitely multiple factors.

But at the same time I think it's a great opportunity to reset the cap a bit starting next year 

2 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Because he won't put us in Cap Hell. He is way cheaper than Diggs was and with a new deal could come much cheaper in the long run

He's not going to be cheaper than Diggs.

He will get around 23-25 a year, plus got to give up big assets to get him.

Draft one in the 1st round and you have cost control for 5 years

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

As of right now they have just under $6m in 2025 cap space.

What's Von Miller's salary vs dead cap if cut after this season? That was always going to be a three year deal basically right? 

I'm assuming most of the incentives they built into his reworked deal were the not likely to be achieved since he had such a down year... so that will eat into the 2025 cap a bit if he does hopefully hit all of them, but still I think any cap numbers for 2025 should be probably talked about as if Miller is cut before the new league year starts...Knox too maybe, but my hope is he had a down year because of the wrist

Edited by HardyBoy

Just now, HardyBoy said:

What's Von Miller's salary vs dead cap is cut? That was always going to be a three year deal basically right? 

I'm assuming most of the incentives they built into his reworked deal were the not likely to be achieved since he had such a down year... so that will eat into the 2025 cap a bit if he does hopefully hit all of them, but still I think any cap numbers for 2025 should be probably talked about as if Miller is cut before the new league year starts...Knox too maybe, but my hope is he had a down year because of the wrist

I think if they cut him, they save around 5 mil next year.

i could be wrong, but Im pretty sure I heard that somewhere 

10 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

That would be epic but he probably wants over $30mil per year 

I think he is the only WR in the NFL right now that is worth it… Jefferson and Allen would be unstoppable. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/4/2024 at 4:36 PM, MikePJ76 said:

by the time training camp starts they will have players capable of playing outside.  

This diggs trade is going to turn out great for buffalo.  Training camp is going to be so much fun.   No more drama and nothing but upside from young players all over the offense.   Whoever they draft does not have to replace Diggs that is the big misconception here.  The team is going to have all kinds of weapons.

I have always said this and will always say this, WR are not what wins you championships, being a physically and mentally tough football team  that can win on the road is what wins games.  The defense is what is and has been holding up this team in the post season.   I am not sure they have improved that this offseason and I am not sure McDermott is capable of it.

I have zero worries about the offense.  WR do not determine championships, if they did Steve Largent, Chris Carter, Tim Brown, Randy Moss, Julio Jones, Larry fitzgerald etc....would have the trophy case that Tom Brady, Bill Walsh, Chuck knoll etc... have.  The bills just need a good young player who fits in with the team and will do his job and be a part of the team.  I am already sick of hearing about replacing diggs production.

I agree that replacing Diggs with a bona-fide #1 WR candidate MAY not be necessary. If Allen can distribute the ball we could be better for it. That all depends on a lot of things.

Does the group step up as a whole

Do opposing teams start to figure out Brady

Injuries and depth

It could take the Bills some games to figure out their rhythm, and then you've got to hope they can endure late season games and possibly playoffs knowing the good teams will make adjustments.

For me it is all wait and see. Lots of questions no matter which direction we go

45 minutes ago, H2o said:

Aiyuk is a good WR, he truly is, but I just can't see us trading for a guy who is looking for the $$$ he's looking for. We won't do it. I think Beane and McDermott want a guy on rookie contract for 5 years, and they have a couple of guys in mind already. 

I agree and I think depending on how the draft falls they may add another veteran like Tyler Boyd or someone like that after the draft. 

5 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

I think if they cut him, they save around 5 mil next year.

i could be wrong, but Im pretty sure I heard that somewhere 

That would free up space for 2026 and 2027 then because the guarenteed money would accelerate into 2025 if they cut him at the end of 2024...there is a path to making a big contract work.

Like I guess the question is really this...how many big contracts do you expect the bills to have going forward? Diggs is off the books next year and I expect Von to be off the books fully in 2026...I understand getting younger and all that, but it's hard finding elite value players in FA...and I mean hopefully they hit on one in the draft, but even that is a crap shoot and having more picks than less picks is the way to go there, but maybe it's not about finding stars in the draft other than obviously that's the hope, but pieces that fit your roster development player/contract type category needs and can be better than the slot you drafted them in.

Edited by HardyBoy

13 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

That’s not why Diggs was traded

28 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

based on how “IMPOSSIBLE” it was to move Diggs according to Cover 1, that must mean we’re trading for Aiyuk

I'd even trade a 2025 second and a couple later pics to ensure the deal gets done, then you could still draft another receiver in the first or second round this year and the whole group would be extremely formidable. I'd even prefer to go best player available in the first round and then move up a good ways in the second round and get the receiver then. Landing Aiyuk would actually give us multiple options and not be forced into anything.

13 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

While I’m skeptical we would make a move for Aiyuk just given the less expensive talent in this draft (although I think Aiyuk is a great player and would be great here) I think it’s accurate to say Diggs was traded for more than cap reasons.  

1 - Diggs lost faith we could win now facing a mini rebuild/retool and wanted to go somewhere closer to winning now before his career is done.  So he wanted out, Beane doesn’t like to keep guys here who don’t want to be here.  

2 - Diggs is gonna be 31, this was the most we would ever get for him.  Getting back a likely high 2nd was a lot better than maybe getting a 4th trading him next year.

3 - Brady and the offense showed we are better spreading the ball around than over loading Diggs on targets and could win without him being a big factor.

4 - Cap Relief - obvious why this is valuable.

• Like (+1) 1