And we're on to.. Aiyuk?

JMM

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So this thread title is confusing to me...is there anything actually linking us to Aiyuk interest?  Title reads like we are, but I don't see any news about it anywhere.  

Not aware of any, but in light of the Diggs trade, it's certainly logical that we would be interested...

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, mannc said:

Thanks.  It has been posted elsewhere that he would cost only $7 million this year...could we extend him and lower his cap hit this year?

Nah he is $14.1m this year. We could extend him and lower the hit.... but you can only do that once he is on your roster.... and to get him on your roster you need the space to take on the contract in the first place.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Nah he is $14.1m this year. We could extend him and lower the hit.... but you can only do that once he is on your roster.... and to get him on your roster you need the space to take on the contract in the first place.

Well, the good news is that that should dampen the trade market for him...although there are plenty of teams out there that could swallow that easily...

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Could they restructure Allen's, Oliver's, and Milano's contracts to make it work?  The banana stand has a reputation to uphold.

Have they not done Oliver already? Thought they had. But yes that remains an option. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I guess we'll have to wait til June or maybe convince the Bengals to unfranchise Higgins, sign him to a one year deal on the cheap and then trade him to us. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I guess we'll have to wait til June or maybe convince the Bengals to unfranchise Higgins, sign him to a one year deal on the cheap and then trade him to us. 

No on Higgins.  He is a very good WR2 but wants top end WR1 money.  

What people keep forgetting is that this is a historically rich and deep WR draft.  You don't give up a lot ahead of this draft for a WR unless you are getting back an elite player.  Higgins is very good, but he isn't so good that you pass up having WR's on rookie deals for 4-5 years to overpay Higgins to be an underwhelming WR1.  

Just my 2 cents in regards to Higgins.  IMHO Aiyuk > Higgins and I would feel better about a trade for Aiyuk than Higgins.  Aiyuk I think can do what Diggs did here, reach a whole new level playing with Allen.  

Higgins reminds me of when Peerless Price got traded to the Falcons just to find out he was better suited as a top end WR2 next to another great WR and not really ever meant to be a WR1.  Higgins is probably a better player than Price, just using that example of a team that over paid both in trade compensation and contract for a guy who wasn't best suited to be the man.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What people keep forgetting is that this is a historically rich and deep WR draft.  You don't give up a lot ahead of this draft for a WR unless you are getting back an elite player.  Higgins is very good, but he isn't so good that you pass up having WR's on rookie deals for 4-5 years to overpay Higgins to be an underwhelming WR1.  

Just my 2 cents in regards to Higgins.  IMHO Aiyuk > Higgins and I would feel better about a trade for Aiyuk than Higgins.  Aiyuk I think can do what Diggs did here, reach a whole new level playing with Allen.  

Higgins reminds me of when Peerless Price got traded to the Falcons just to find out he was better suited as a top end WR2 next to another great WR and not really ever meant to be a WR1.  Higgins is probably a better player than Price, just using that example of a team that over paid both in trade compensation and contract for a guy who wasn't best suited to be the man.  

GunnerBill is right about Aiyuk's 2024 hit being 14, not 7. And totally agree that Aiyuk would be much better in this offense. 

Beane could probably make the cap space if the 9ers were willing, but the plan may be to lock up 2 wr's in this draft to have cost controlled players heading into, dare I say, the second half of Josh Allen's career. 

To me the question is, do they think k they have enough production with Kincaid, Samuels and Shakir to roll the dice on u proven talent vs trading draft capital for a proven commodity. 

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

GunnerBill is right about Aiyuk's 2024 hit being 14, not 7. And totally agree that Aiyuk would be much better in this offense. 

Beane could probably make the cap space if the 9ers were willing, but the plan may be to lock up 2 wr's in this draft to have cost controlled players heading into, dare I say, the second half of Josh Allen's career. 

To me the question is, do they think k they have enough production with Kincaid, Samuels and Shakir to roll the dice on u proven talent vs trading draft capital for a proven commodity. 

Why don’t you just draft 2? There will be second round WR’s that could be late firsts in other years. 

That’s why I have no problem using a 2025 pick or two to move around a bit. The second most important position on offense is WR. We have the option to select two prospects that may have gone much higher next year. 

Would you trade a late second in 2025 to get a second round prospect in 2024 that would be a first round prospect in 2025? 

I think clearly, yes. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Yeah, securing a WR1 on a rookie deal for the next 4 to 5 years of Josh's prime would be such a major advantage right now for a team who has a highly paid QB.  I mean this may the best draft ever to be in the market for a WR, and no one says we can't draft 2 early either to double up on our chances to make sure we get a WR1.  

There is something to be said though for a "sure thing", a young known commodity.  But, that comes with a hefty price...it will maybe cost more both in acquisition cost (multiple premium picks potentially) and certainly massive difference in cap space in terms of compensation moving forward.  But, you also have the piece of mind your elite QB has weapons moving forward.  

For me, I think the only 2 players I would consider trading for and having to carry the expense of paying WR1 money moving forward is Justin Jefferson and Aiyuk.  If the Vikings were willing to take say our 28th pick in this draft and their 2nd back next year that we got in the Diggs trade (which was originally theirs), then you have to consider that.  Even though his contract will be huge, he is probably the best WR in the NFL right now and could be even better with Allen at QB.  Aiyuk is looking for a big deal too, if we say could get him for our 2nd this year and maybe a pick next year, its again something to consider although maybe not as tempting as Jefferson given Jefferson has already proven to be top 3 WR in the game, and arguably the best.  

I still prefer to stick to the draft and go get that stud on a cheap deal for these next 4 to 5 years because it will overall make our team better having so much more cap space available to build the rest of the roster.  This draft is maybe the best one ever to be looking for a WR and with 10 picks in this draft, they can certainly take more than 1.  There are guys who will go on day 3 that are going to be damn good WR's in the NFL.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, TonyBeets said:

We need a 1, not a 2.  Slim pickings I know, I'd rather take our chances drafting one.

Yup draft 2 wrs early. Hope you hit on one to supplement Samuel, Shakir & Kincaid.  Then use all that extra cap money in 2025 to sign a younger fa wr.

20 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Higgins does offer some size which we lack at the position, he might be a WR2 but if we end up signing him 4-5 years we can maybe draft a guy in the mid rounds to see if he develops into a WR1 or move him to WR2 if needed and make HIggins earn his check as a WR1. Yet I agree Ayiuk a better all around option but ultimately the draft best option long term. 

49 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They have a bit more room to kick Allen's deal I think. But they have pulled almost every other lever they had to pull. 

I dont disagree but to land a top 15 receiver whose gonna be a top 15 for the duration of his contract I think you should do this. I can live with a double dip at 28 and 60 at receiver. I just much prefer cost certainty if at all possible. We don't know if the pick at 28 and 60 will be two Ocyrus torrence or two Cody Fords or one of each. By trading for Aiyuk we guarantee at least one Torrence. 

Even if we could afford it I wouldnt be interested. We already tried the route of trading a 1st for a WR1 instead of picking from a WR rich class. It undoubtedly went very well but we had to give him a big contract extension before long and now our cap is a mess. Plus now Allen is on a franchise QB contract which means we need to be stingier. This time around just take the best WR available with our first pick. Then take another one by the end of day two. And then next time a DeAndre Hopkins becomes available in free agency don't stupidly let him get away. We don't need some crazy blockbuster investment in the WR room. We just need to make a real effort to invest at the position every single year.

• Like (+1) 2

Is this speculation based on anything beyond speculation?  Is Aiyuk even on the trade block?  Has there been anything leaked to indicate we are even interested in him?

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Is this speculation based on anything beyond speculation?  Is Aiyuk even on the trade block?  Has there been anything leaked to indicate we are even interested in him?

There have been rumors that Aiyuk wants a trade and that the 49ers have been entertaining offers. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10115325-trade-packages-nfl-teams-should-be-offering-for-49ers-wr-brandon-aiyuk

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Doc said:

Draft a wide receiver and wait a few weeks after and there should be some good wide receiver options.

Hopefully draft more than 1 WR. But, yes, after 6.1 we'll have some extra money to spend

2 hours ago, HaldimandBills said:

Assests aren't always proven commodities. Id rather have a proven commodity and attempt another asset at 28 instead of thinking a guy at 60 is gonna be a sure thing. For every Torrence there is two Cody Fords. 

$120 million Von blew out his knee.  That could happen to Aiuk.  I don’t like being against the cap, nor does Beane.  Give me two WR from the greatest WR draft ever.  Many sub 4.4 guys, big guys, great hands- whatever flavor WR you like is available.  Give me 2 WR from all time greatest class.  4 year rookie contracts.  Then we have $ to sign free agents, without giving up precious assets 

• Like (+1) 1