Diggs traded to Texans for picks

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

Every single team in the NFL does this at some point with a big contract guy. Every single one.

Ā 

It was either this off-season or next off-season when the Bills were unloading Diggs.

Ā 

End of story.

Or it could have been two seasons from now when his cap hit was meager.

This braintrust also has other great contracts on the books like Von Miller. You think it's the "end of the story?"

It's just the beginning, and it's not looking good.

• Eyeroll 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Bills SB odds dropped from around plus 800 to plus 1300 on Fan Duel. Ā 
Ā 

Houston plus 1500. Ā Ahead of the Eagles plus 1600.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edit - Texans went up 100 after the trade. Ā 

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Ā  Ā  Yeah, but were they playing for McDā€¦.. the guy who put rookie Cooke in the dog house? Cooke who was averaging 5.7?!?! A guy who only had to have the ball handed to him, not run routes.

Ā  Ā  The idea that a rookie ( or rookies) are going to come in and BE ALLOWED to contribute goes against what we know about this HC.

Ā 

Your take is pure bull manure!Ā Ā  McDermott plays his high round draft picks -- I think all of his first rounders except Elam started all or most of their games as rookies.Ā Ā  He also starts his second roundersĀ  ...Ā  like O'Cyrus Torrence last season.Ā  Cook didn't play much as a rookie because he wasn't good enough.Ā  He got plenty of PT as a sophomore when he mastered the skills he needed to start for the Bills. Ā  Elam didn't play much as a rookie or sophomore because his play wasn't good enough.Ā 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Ā 

We've had this discussion before.Ā  Adding a 2025 2nd rounder to our draft picks is no where near enough offer to move from #28 to #6.

Ā 

could it get us to where we need to be for Thomas?Ā 

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I am sure I didnā€™t go ā€œnutsā€ about the trade itself but I am sure I was angry about the lack of investment in the position. Ā Same as now. Ā Theyā€™ve known who this guy is for several years and they shouldā€™ve been loading up on young talent to replace him instead of chasing to fill the gap when weā€™re weeks away from rookies reporting.

Ā 

Drafting a position in need is not a new phenomena.Ā  In fact, most teams actively do it.Ā  Very few teams have the luxury to draft BPA.Ā  Ā We mortgaged our future with some moves such as Vonn and restructuring Diggs among others and swung for the fences and missed.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Diggs is declining, at least he declined the last 13 games he played, he is turning 31.Ā  He was a virtual non factor when the Bills went hot and in the playoffs and if it weren't for a key play or two (which Diggs had a terrible drop in the last drive against the Chiefs) they could have very well have gone on to win that game.

Ā 

There is a solid nucleus of young ascending talent on the team.Ā Ā 

Ā 

I'm anxious to see what new weapon or weapons the Bills add to the arsenal this year and what they do with the $27M cap savings that they'll see in 2025.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I dont care what Sportac, he is 30, simple factĀ  and wont be 31 untilĀ  very latte in November but if yoo want to claim he is 31 go for it.

I didnā€™t say that. I said that this is his age 31 season.Ā 

He was great for us - but like others, I'm kind of relieved.

Ā 

This team has come up short repeatedly in the playoffs.Ā  Diggs was a no-show the past 2 playoffs losses, and dropped one of the best passes I think I've seen in the postseason.

Ā 

We're heading into '24 w/ essentially a new team. It feels like a very needed clean slate.

Ā 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Not against moving on from Diggs, given his drop in play and questions about his desire to be here. But nothing until 2025 ('24 looking like a bit of a reboot)?Ā  Beane must have more moves in mind (my assumption).

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Look around the league, rookie WRs are doing very well, Diggs is still good, but he is an azs hole, and nobody likes azs holes, especially when they fall flat in the playoffs for two consecutive seasons, it had to be done, next year he worth even less,Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Yes, doing very well.

Ā 

How many are producing at a Diggs level. Even the kind of level Diggs was at in a bad year?

4 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Honestly, i could see Diggs getting all pissy when finding out were drafting a WR in the first round, knowing that he will have to split the limelight with someone else.

Ā 

Diva and drama queen?.....absolutely

Aging and self-centered?........yep

Missed?.........we won't miss a beat

Ā 

Bravo Beane.........bravo.

Ā 

This is exactly where I am on it.Ā  Ā By the end of last season I was getting sick of watching the guy play.Ā  Ā He was horrendous vs Kansas City in the playoffs.Ā  Ā The Bills will be fine, both this season and for seasons to come.Ā  Its amazing how little slack Beane gets given the amount of winning the Bills have done over the last 6-7 years.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

I agree with that. Ā Trading your obvious top WR for nothing doesnā€™t help in the near term at all. Ā Diggs 100000000% wants to win. Ā Cutting through all the noise that is what comes through loud and clear. Ā Allen has taken to partying the last few years. Ā Deny it all anyone wants but it is true. Ā He has immense talent and he gives his all on the field but that hasnā€™t been enough because he screws around too much. Ā Now our receivers will know what happens if you try to push 17 to work harder/be better. Ā A franchise realistically has to build around the QB but the QB needs to work.

You sure are beating a drum about something that is conjecture at best, but whatever, you seem willing to die on that sword,Ā 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

Ā 

Ā 

Oh, please! Last year by the time the playoffs rolled around, the D was starting - what? - four to five of the guys they wanted to start? And the injured included probably four of their best five defenders. And at least two of those who still played- Poyer and DaQuan - were not close to their usual selves due to injury.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

What about literally every other season we've been eliminated? In our 3 playoff games vs KC in 4 years...McD's defense has gotten them to punt a TOTAL of 4 times! Is that good? Are you impressed by that?Ā 

Ā 

McD's D has been awful in the biggest games and moments since he's been here literally every single season, even when we've been relatively healthy. I don't really even know how you can debate that.Ā 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

To take a lesson from last year.Ā  We went into the season without any LBs.Ā  How did that work out.

Just let things take it's course and see what the roster looks like in August and how they play in September.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I gave it a D, and that's just grading the trade in a vacuum and not looking at the dead cap from the ludicrous extension.

Ā 

Diggs cooled off in the 2nd half of the season, but he still finished 13th in yards and 8th in TDs for the league. That's a really good season and he's had 4 straight really good seasons for the Bills. There's no reason to think his production will fall off a cliff, although it's fair to say he doesn't have much time left as an elite WR.

Ā 

Diggs+ 5th + 6th for a 2nd is a really poor return. If you net the picks we essentially traded Diggs for a 3rd. Trading a bona fide WR1 for a 3rd rd pick is not good value.Ā 

I don't think Diggs is a number 1 anymore, or at least not for the Bills. He soured on the organization and disappeared in games.

Ā 

I fully expect him to go to Houston and put up good numbers, until something upsets him again and he sours on THAT organization. It happened with the Vikings and it happened with the Bills.

Ā 

Getting a 2 for him is fine. The dead cap hit is a big blow, though.

Anyone that grades a pick an 'A' where one team gives up a top 7 player at their position, $30M in cap space and two day 3 picks to receive a future 2nd round pick in compensation is delusional. For that to be an A, you'd have to be talking a first round pick or multiple early day 2 picks and a prospect with no other compensation going back the other way.

54 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

You realize he gave up picks they needed too right?Ā 

We donā€™t need them that much.

Ā 

Diggs is addition by subtraction, and now two rookie scale WRā€™s to be leaned on as heavy contributors is awesome.

Ā 

He was gone in 2025 regardless, imo. Launching him now was just ripping off the bandaid.

Ā 

I think heā€™s washed. Beane thinks heā€™s washed and or a cancer. Either way, SEE YAĀ 

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

Anyone that grades a pick an 'A' where one team gives up a top 7 player at their position, $30M in cap space and two day 3 picks to receive a future 2nd round pick in compensation is delusional. For that to be an A, you'd have to be talking a first round pick or multiple early day 2 picks and a prospect with no other compensation going back the other way.

See above.

Ā 

3 minutes ago, Success said:

Ā 

This team has come up short repeatedly in the playoffs.Ā  Diggs was a no-show the past 2 playoffs losses, and dropped one of the best passes I think I've seen in the postseason.

Ā 

We're heading into '24 w/ essentially a new team. It feels like a very needed clean slate.

Ā 

Ā 

New WR's, new secondary and also a pretty new DL as well.Ā  This is a new team now.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Success said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I'm with you.Ā  Last season, to me, was the last opportunity for THAT iteration of the Bills to prove that they could get it done.Ā  And they had everything lined up to show us that.Ā  The beasts of the AFC, both KC and Cincinatti, were very vulnerable and the vaunted Eagles and Niners out of the NFC had warts as well.Ā  They even got the Chiefs at home....and they still couldn't get it done.

Ā 

I'm ok with a "new look" Bills from this season onwards.Ā  The old guard couldn't win it, so it's time to dump cap and start again.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Or it could have been two seasons from now when his cap hit was meager.

This braintrust also has other great contracts on the books like Von Miller. You think it's the "end of the story?"

It's just the beginning, and it's not looking good.

No, actually it is looking very goood.

Ā 

Diggs and his sulking, non-productive ways are out of the locker room. The Bills went on a 5 game winning streak to win the division title in spite of Diggs lack of production.

Ā 

Diggs had 37 catches for 349 yards and 1 TD in the last 8 games of the regular season, while being on the field for 80 plus percent of the offensive snaps.

Ā 

Bye, Stefon. Those stats and better can be replaced quite easily, minus the attitude.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

I donā€™t think this was originally the plan. That tweet from Diggs had to have been the last straw. No way you just let your top two WRā€™s walk out the door. The fact that they didnā€™t get more for Diggs and traded him to within the conference says they just wanted to be done with him.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

I donā€™t think they nuke the nominal #1 WR over a very recent tweet. Ā This has been brewing for awhile. Ā Trust me when I say that this guy turned into a supreme a-hole. Ā I have no doubt that Josh signed off on this. Ā 
Ā 

In the end, they just got tired of his BS and dumped him. Ā They couldnā€™t do it after his tantrum in minicamp, but they kept a lid on it and him and got value for him as soon as they could. Ā Adios to a guy who didnā€™t want to be here.Ā 

7 minutes ago, SoTier said:

he wasn't good enough

Da Fug?!?!

Which skill? Breaking through the LOS on a carry and averaging over a yard less than Cooke while looking patheticly slow in comparison?

Edited by Buffalo Boy

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Ā 

I didn't realize it was Minnesota's 2nd round pick.Ā  That makes me feel a bit more positive.

Me too. Big difference between Minnyā€™s 2nd rounder and Houstonā€™s IMO.Ā 

2 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Ā 

What about literally every other season we've been eliminated? In our 3 playoff games vs KC in 4 years...McD's defense has gotten them to punt a TOTAL of 4 times! Is that good? Are you impressed by that?Ā 

Ā 

McD's D has been awful in the biggest games and moments since he's been here literally every single season, even when we've been relatively healthy. I don't really even know how you can debate that.Ā 

Ā 

It's either McD has failed or Mahomes is unreal in the playoffs.Ā Ā 

2 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I say we package some picks, throw Elam into the deal and giddy up......grab our future young WR, maybe 2

Elam wouldn't add much to the compensation, he's probably worth a 5th-6th round pick at this point due to his 1st round rookie salary.Ā 

Just now, Beast said:

No, actually it is looking very goood.

Ā 

Diggs and his sulking, non-productive ways are out of the locker room. The Bills went on a 5 game winning streak to win the division title.

Ā 

Diggs had 37 catches for 349 yards and 1 TD in the last 8 games of the regular season, while being on the field for 80 plus percent of the offensive snaps.

Ā 

Bye, Stefon. Those stats and better can be replaced quite easily, minus the attitude.

Sulking is such a perfect word.Ā 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BBFL said:

That is exactly my sentiments. Just a year earlier than expected. My concern is the same with Kyleā€¦ Thatā€™s a lot of production thatā€™s been moved on from in one season.Ā 

Ā 

I agree as well but with a caviot.

Ā 

There is only 1 ball that can go around so if it wasn't them getting schemed open or thrown to, it will be Kincaid/Shakir/Samuel now and who ever we trade for or draft.Ā 

Ā 

The reason I see this and Davis being on another team, is at crucial times in games and in the playoffs, drops were happening more than they should.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Future cap space.

Ā 

Ā 

Yeah. So in other words, cap space.

Ā 

It was wildly obvious one of the main goals they had this year was to get future cap space back into reasonable shape, so we didn't have to go through another year like this one where we start out so far underwater.

Ā 

That goal just took a huge hit.