Diggs traded to Texans for picks

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

If this was strategic, as opposed to reactive, it would’ve happened a month ago before all of the WR-needy teams picked a mate, or during the draft.  This was a reaction to something, plain and simple.  And it’s a terrible look for the organization - they signed him to this contract and kept adding money to it, yet they couldn’t make it work.  And this regime ALWAYS finds some reason why they have to wait to fix the offense until some future year.  ALWAYS.

this is where i am at.

i want to hear what Beane says and more information to come out.

there has been a lot of smoke and there was probably always a fire considering shipping him out.

the extension we put him on years ago wasn't even used yet - so that is the most confounding part. we are reacting now after trying to bring him in for a long time. that extension was pure garbage to react early and now we are who knows where.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Idk what happened or when but Josh and Diggs seamed off.  Allen’s play the last few years has been better throwing to the open guy instead of force feeding Diggs.   Wish him the best he was a great player for us. 

No one is going to like what I am going to say but,

This reminds me of Tony Romo and T.O.....Now I am not comparing players just the situation.  Allen is light years better than Romo and Owens was much better than Diggs.

the similarity I see is Romo was a young player and could not tell Owens to cool it with his nonsense because Owens was a hall of famer who played with steve young..etc.....Romo had to sit back and let him say whatever he wanted at all times and tolerate his act on the field because if he dared to put him in his place the media would have swooped in and started a feud....(which actually happened in 08)

all the new wr will be forced to listen to Allen, Diggs was never going to because he is an ego maniac and is older than Allen even though he has never really accomplished anything Diggs carries himself like he has.

it sucks they didn't get at least a pick for this year and moved a fourth rounder along with him.  The trade feels like the bills were desperate to move him because he is such a weirdo ego maniac who always speaks in code and can not ever credit anyone else.

so this seems to me like they are now going to package that 2nd rounder next year to move up in the first this year....or to get a 3 or two 3's this year.

• Like (+1) 1

Draft two guys early and then with Diggs, pretty much, off the books next year and 10M freed up on 6/1.. maybe we have another Hopkins-type watch this Summer.

• Like (+1) 1

Based on Diggs tweets and IG the last couple weeks, this has been in the works for a while. You can bet Beane took his time and has a couple different plans in place to make the team better! He always has a master plan, I just hope it’s better than the Kelvan Benjamin plan 😳 and I think it will. 

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

"By the book", yes. But Houston can take on whatever they want, and even send us straight up cash.

Correct, it’s been done before with high profile QB trades that we’ve seen in the past. The team acquiring the player will literally agree to pay some of the dead cap. 

Just now, DasNootz said:

I assume the valued the draft capital to move up this month more than the cap burden savings of waiting until after the draft.

Yup - plus you can't trade diggs to anyone.  But there are teams in the top 10/15 that would absolutely value an extra 1st round pick in 2025.  Doing this trade to acquire 2 2nd's in 2025 makes it a beat easier to stomach losing a 2nd 1st rounder.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Or he‘s an a-hole and they wanted him gone.  Storming out on McD last year?  Broken relationship with Josh? (Though Diggs was right about the focus point last year.)  Raincloud bad attitude?  Making everyone walk on eggshells around him to handle his jerkiness?  Adios.  I thank him for his service, but it was time for him to GTFO and take his act elsewhere.  On to a happier workplace.  

Yeah, that's possible, there's definitely more to this than we know.

3 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

There has to be a Huge back story we don't know about. The compensation seems like Beane wanted to be rid of him & his cao hit. Either Diggs really wanted out & it was worse than we know (like his production went down bc he quit) OR Beane thinks he's cooked & not worth the $. I'm sure there could be other options too. It seems like a sudden rash trade.

Winner winner chicken dinner. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

LOL, Samuel's had plenty of opportunity to be HUGE and has never even sniffed those results.  7 seasons to be precise.  

The trade compensation was this year's 6th and next year's 2nd and 5th.  

And you're right, Samuel's role is now HUGE, but honestly, anyone expecting that to materialize in the way that we need is going to be incredibly disappointed.  

Who's the best QB Samuel has had to work with?  This will be a John Brown type of surprise.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Brian Higgins hair said:

I’m guessing Rome O, and I don’t think it takes more than trading 1sts and the 25 2nd.

Likely won’t get out of the top 12-15

3 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

This years first and second, next years first and two seconds. That'll move you up quite a ways and would be very attractive to a developing team.  Only took me half a second to come up with that scenario. 

That's a big maybe, considering how late those picks could be. Took me the same time to come up with that response.

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

this is where i am at.

there has been a lot of smoke and there was probably always a fire considering shipping him out.

the extension we put him on years ago wasn't even used yet - so that is the most confounding part. we are reacting now after trying to bring him in for a long time. that extension was pure garbage to react early and now we are who knows where.

Yup.  The extension was a reaction to pressure from Diggs and now the trade is a reaction to pressure from Diggs (Houston was his preferred destination) and so Beane has just put a “kick me” sign on his own nuts.  All of the agents know now that Beane is easy to manipulate.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It’s not a bad trade given his age and contract - it was a bad contract given his age and antics.

And because of the contract it makes it a bad trade. Both can be true

You guys are making way too much out of this. Diggs has a ***** attitude, plus his output has declined each year. He wanted a trade, never happy, I’m glad he’s gone. For the record we’re currently trying to trade for Brandon Aiyuk from San Fran, that’s an upgrade in my book. 

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

Have no idea but I would imagine Beane has a plan here. They HAVE TO get a top WR now if they plan on competing for a Super Bowl this year

That's officially over. The window is slammed shut until at least 2026 now and that's if they draft a stud in the late first this year.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

1 minute ago, BuffaloBill said:

You assume they take a step back - I do not see it that way - Diggs was a non factor in the second half of the season.  The Bills have the opportunity to upgrade and move on.

I get that, but a 31 million cap hit kind of sets them back, wouldn't you think? 

• Agree 1

What an awful extension that turned out to be. How many elite players chiefs have? Off top head (mahomes, jones, mcduffie, thuney, Humphrey, butker, Kelce).  How many bills have? Allen..maybe Milano who missed all year?  Get Allen help!! 

1 minute ago, BuffaloBill said:

You assume they take a step back - I do not see it that way - Diggs was a non factor in the second half of the season.  The Bills have the opportunity to upgrade and move on.

So funny the way this board works…for months last season diggs was washed up,old, dead weight..  now that we trade him we let go of an apparent superstar lol 

Houston is betting the change of scenery will help him but I’m not entirely sure.  

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, and I was saying all offseason I felt there was no way we would trade Diggs before the draft and take on that much dead cap hit unless something behind the scenes forced the issue.  And thus far, nothing has come out that would qualify as significant enough to make this move.

So it makes me wonder what we are going to find out now that Diggs has been moved.  Seems like this had to be an "addition by subtraction" move in Beanes eyes to take on that dead cap and not even get a pick in this WR rich draft back.  I mean he didn't even wait until after June 1st when the cap was less of a hit which would have made more business sense given we got no picks back in this draft. 

So I am really curious to what we are gonna hear that was going on behind the scenes that he had to make this move and take this weak compensation back.

I assume they aren't going to trash an outgoing player.  Thank him for his time, his contributions, his effort - and just indicate that you wanted to go a different direction.  If he wants to chirp - let him.  

6 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Luckily we don't plan a game next weekend. Plenty of time to get that sorted out 

Even with one of the top WRs in the draft I'm still not a fan of our WR room. We'd be praying he has an elite year otherwise the offense is probably going to struggle pretty consistently 

• Agree 1

Just now, boyst said:

this is where i am at.

The smoke is Twitter.  The fire is that Diggs prefers hard work, Allen prefers picker out cute outfits for the Kentucky Derby and Joe Brady prefers to scapegoat “divas”.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

How does Greg know all the financial details when they havent come out yet?

Because it’s formulaic.

Texans own salary and bonuses not yet paid. The bills own any bonuses prorated through the life of the contact 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

I assume the valued the draft capital to move up this month more than the cap burden savings of waiting until after the draft.

I mean I guess they could see it as more ammo to move up, but a 2nd next year is worth like a 3rd this year, so it doesn't give us that much more ammo to move up, and we lost 2 more picks too in the trade.  So if that is the case, it really isn't moving the needle that much.  In fact, I think I would rather have 2 second round picks next year then waste that chasing a rookie in what is a very deep WR draft.  

How does Greg know all the financial details when they havent come out yet?

I'm not a cap expert, but I am pretty sure that a $3M cap hit is the MINIMUM the Bills would be taking. To my knowledge, no trade can account for monies already paid out as part of signing bonuses or restructures.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Have no idea but I would imagine Beane has a plan here. They HAVE TO get a top WR now if they plan on competing for a Super Bowl this year. 

Yes, I just don't see how they can climb that high in the draft to get a player like that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

The smoke is Twitter.  The fire is that Diggs prefers hard work, Allen prefers picker out cute outfits for the Kentucky Derby and Joe Brady prefers to scapegoat “divas”.

The anti-Allen attitude around here remains absolutely staggering.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3