Diggs traded to Texans for picks

Just now, Freddie's Dead said:

Houston bent us over the tree stump and ***** us dry.  Bills still eat the dead cap, so this deal makes absolutely no sense.  Complete fail by McBeane.

Farewell Stefon Diggs, and we thank you.

There is no way to... trade the dead cap.  It is money already paid to diggs.  They acquire his base salary for 2024 - which we couldn't cut since it was at least partially guaranteed.  You can still split the dead money across 2 years which i assume we do.  This wasn't the worst contract on the books since we have von miller, but there is no trading von for much of anything at this point since his value is 0 and he's expensive as hell.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Check out the chiefs WR room

yeah, but they also have one of the smartest offensive minds leading the offense, and the offense struggled in the regular season and was carried by their defense.

if andy reid was controlling our offense, i would have more faith

Just now, PBF81 said:

OK, but move up with what?  We gonna trade away next year's first in a draft that's chock full of WRs?  

We got a 6th this year, which is worthless for any such trade.  The 2nd next year is hardly a golden carrot.  The 5th next year is also worthless for a trade.  

So out of curiosity, what do you think we trade to move up?  We have a 28th overall, a 60th overall, then again starting in the late 4th and day-3, which are generally useless for such a trade.  

I don't have a good enough grasp of the trade compensation to make a guess, but it feels like a trade up.

This I will say, Curtis Samuel's role is now HUGE.  He is a weapon and it is now all but confirmed that he'll be used as such.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Houston bent us over the tree stump and ***** us dry.  Bills still eat the dead cap, so this deal makes absolutely no sense.  Complete fail by McBeane.

Says who? Link to the financials?

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm glad diggs is gone and all the drama. And I don't care that there's $30 million+ in dead cap. We can use the 2025 2nd to move up in this year to take Brian Thomas Jr. 

The bills now have enough ammo to move from 28th to about 9th if they Trade this year's first,  this year's 2nd and next year's 2nd.

Brian Thomas Jr. + Curtis Samuel > Diggs &  Davis

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

I believe this is a trade that helps both clubs. Houston has deep threats and by getting Diggs, and likely converting him to a slot to pair with Tank Dell - they now have tremendously gifted intermediate guys and an elite deep threat in Nico Collins.

For Buffalo, they had an excess of guys who could run intermediate and underneath stuff with Shakir, both TEs and now Curtis Samuel. Diggs was the best of them, but the bills are better served with moving one of them and replacing with a true deep threat 

Good point. That squares with the Athletic's take after last season, which was that with no deep threat (Gabe Davis was a cartoon figure), teams rolled up on the short and intermediate routes, leaving the Bills with no option but to wait for the deep shot once or twice a game, which (late in the season/playoffs) Allen overthrew twice and Diggs dropped once. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BuffaloBill said:

I like the move. Diggs all but disappeared in the last 8 games and he has not been a factor in the playoffs. The Bills unload his salary cap hit and can empahsize a youth movement.  I get the Idea that Brady just was not a Diggs fan.

IMO the Bills made a very good move here.

When Brady proves to be no better than Dorsey it's going to be a riot listening to everyone talking about how it's because he didn't have Diggs.  

You honestly can't make a lot of what's forthcoming up.  

Been saying it for a couple years, guy is a problem and has been.

I live in OC and am good friends with a couple guys at a major sports agency, and belong to a church several Bills and other NFL players go to. I regularly talk to a couple players. This has been brewing a long time and the fingers are pointed at diggs.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Whatever makes up his big cap hit and dead money. Houston can take that on if they want.

They own his base salary which is guaranteed for this season but not the signing bonus. 

Beane doesn’t do this unless he has a plan. Not sure what the heck it is. Tough to move up this year with next years 2nd round pick.

Am I unhappy to see him go? Not really. If he really was that unhappy being here. Fine.  

Really wish we didn’t resign him TBH.  Cap hit must be enormous.

• Like (+1) 2

I thought this looked like a rebuild year before this trade and now it's 100% confirmed. Absolutely insane roster mismanagement. He might've been the only player left on the team that actually wanted to win a Super Bowl.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Heels20X6 said:

Anyone think it's kinda funny that the Texans just created this issue where they needed a Diggs by unnecessarily trading a MUCH better receiver away in Deandre Hopkins...?

Anyways, the return is meh, the current WR room is a major concern and I guess Diggs was more toxic than any of us realized.  Hope he can be "HIM" in Houston.  But my gut tells me this is the start of his "hop-along" career where he wears 6 different jerseys before calling it a career.

Bill O'Brien, end of story.  

• Haha (+1) 2

I’m all for trusting the process but this one makes absolutely no sense. Beane got taken the woodshed on this one. Diggs for a few bucks and a 2nd rounder?? I haven’t seen a beating like that since my momma caught me smoking behind the barn. I know Diggs was hard to work with but show me a WR1 that’s not a diva. I know other bills fans that got mad at me for suggesting they are tanking this season but the writing is on the wall. 

11 minutes ago, finn said:

So a lousy 2nd round pick next year and we lose our best WR AND take a huge cap hit? WTF?

A 2nd for a 30 year old wr is above market.  Heck Amari Cooper was traded for a 4th and was younger. 

I think the Bills were at the point to just move on.  Have guys that want to be here and play with Josh.  Take the medicine and move on. Having Diggs wont make Buffalo more or less likely to win it all. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Wow, we got no picks this year.  2025 2nd rounder via Vikings.  

We sent them Diggs, 6th this year and 5th next year.  

Very weak comp.

The Bills wanted him gone.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 4

16 minutes ago, SUNTANBILLS FAN said:

Great no WR1! Great job. Sorry Diggs I don't blame you for wanting out now. Hope you kill it with a real franchise. Hey Houston you scored a top 5 wide out for peanuts. Now we have cap space to do something stupid. 

Beane will sign a big name receiver AND move up to grab another. 

This is a GREAT GM making solid, thought out moves.  

Allen has two windows.  The first is closed.  The second is being built on currently.  

As much as I loved seeing Diggs' fire and competitiveness, this is a good move for the Bills.

Edited by Blackbeard
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Nephilim17 said:

I would not be shocked if we package our 2025 1st and other picks to get a top WR this year. The Bills likely feel that two 2nd rounders next year (many are saying the one we just got is the Vikings pick so it will likely be high) is fine without a first rounder.

I also predict that now Josh will be more assertive and take no ***** from anyone on the offense now. No one will yell at Josh on the sidelines; he is now the man. I honestly feel like Steph, personality wise, was the alpha dog on the offense. And Josh didn't want to get in Steph's face and was too deferential. But it should be the QB. And now it is.

I mean is this is real, I don't see how the hell Beane waits until 28. Either he is 100% confident that he can get a guy in the 1st round, or the Bills window just closed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

So I guess we can assume the Bills heard they are going to be on Hard Knocks this year and McDermottt didn’t want Diggs to embarrass him, so he told Beane to give him the boot. 

If the cap hit is minimized, this is a huge win for the Bills. They need guys that are going to step up in the playoffs, and hopefully they will draft someone - anyone - that will do that other than Josh. 

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

We have up a 5th this year & a 6th next year in addition to Diggs to get a 2nd next year? 

Houston robbed Beane. Has to be Diggs really wanted out or Beane was drunk.

Or he‘s an a-hole and they wanted him gone.  Storming out on McD last year?  Broken relationship with Josh? (Though Diggs was right about the focus point last year.)  Raincloud bad attitude?  Making everyone walk on eggshells around him to handle his jerkiness?  Adios.  I thank him for his service, but it was time for him to GTFO and take his act elsewhere.  On to a happier workplace.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

or you’re gonna trash him on a messageboard?

OH NO! I wonder if they’ve signed the paperwork? Is it too late to rescind the deal???  😂 

2 minutes ago, Bookie Man said:

Diggs has been great for Josh, but the dude was slipping. Never been a speedster and looked to be losing a step. His drops have been up. In KC playoff game dropped a 55 yard dime , gets up and does that "so close" thing with his fingers to Josh.. sort of sums it all up. MAYBE has one more solid year left in him. 

Don't think this means we move up for MHJ, Nabers or Odunze. More likely to the mid-late teens or early 20's to grab someone like Brian Thomas Jr or AD Mitchell. around 2

Emergence of Shakir, Kincaid and most likely 1st round pick, youth movement is on. Samuel is a sub 4.4 guy. Brady knows what he wants to do with him. Getting younger and faster.

Agreed. And I think Thomas has as much upside as any of those top 3. Gotta think he’s the target.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I will agree with this if you provide me the exact details that you know that the rest of us do not.

• Like (+1) 1

I honestly think this move makes us better. It's one of those deals where I think it will open up Josh even more to be the leader of this offense. Steph is a alpha type who was largely viewed as the leader of our offense. I would much rather that person be Josh. In some ways I think Stephs personality sort of prevented that. Josh is more of a soft spoken leader. Steph was not. A lot of time that could prevent guy like Josh from really coming into his own in that role. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Blackbeard said:

Allen will has two windows.  The first is closed.  The second is being built on currently.  

As much as I loved seeing Diggs' fire and competitiveness, this is a good move for the Bills.

What is so smart about paying Diggs all these bonuses to then be stuck with all this dead cap?

1 minute ago, finn said:

Good point. That squares with the Athletic's take after last season, which was that with no deep threat (Gabe Davis was a cartoon figure), teams rolled up on the short and intermediate routes, leaving the Bills with no option but to wait for the deep shot once or twice a game, which (late in the season/playoffs) Allen overthrew twice and Diggs dropped once. 

The bills had the most grindiest offense in the NFL other than KC and yet Allen still put up borderline MVP number. Now imagine if defenses have to defend the entire field.

The only way this goes badly for the Bills is:

A) the bills don’t add a deep threat 

B) Bills add a deep threat and said player is either injured or ineffective 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Blackbeard said:

Allen has two windows.  The first is closed.  The second is being built on currently.  

With what money?

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

I don't mind trading Diggs and I like the cap relief next year... I think they were just done dealing with him tbh...

But the compensation is terrible and I don't care what anyone says... Not getting something in 2024 is a massive failure for Beane because this may very well be the best WR Draft in recent memory. Sure Beane can dig his way out of it. But come on... He could not even get them to throw in a 3rd this year? Houston has 42, 86, 123 and 127 this year! He could not get ONE of those picks in a WR heavy Draft? It's not great...

I actually think getting a 2nd for Diggs (although it's 2025) is pretty good.

His contract is a mess, he's showing signs of decline, and he's on the wrong side of 30.

Oh and he's a pre madonna 

• Like (+1) 6

29 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The guy is the best WR the Bills ever had. Thanks for this. McDermott better win this thing basically now or I don’t want to keep running this ***** back.

Umm yeah…. There was this guy once named Andre reed 

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Says who? Link to the financials?

Dead cap is dead cap.  It's roster bonuses, restructure, and signing bonuses.  You can't trade it - its basically compensation that was spread over several years.  

All base salary, workout bonuses and per game active bonuses are acquired by the new team.  

• Thank you (+1) 1