Chiefs-Dolphins Game - Frostbite

24 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

NFL has nothing to do with it. If you choose to go someplace outside and get frostbite, that’s on you

Imagine holding people responsible for their own actions? Everyone ***** about wanting freedom but then when given it and too stupid to make quality decisions cries that they're the victim.

What a bunch of *****.

• Like (+1) 13
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Lots of bad Chiefs omens this year. 

The fans that died at their friends house. The parade shooting. Amputations from frostbite (WHAT???). Jackson and Brittney Mahomes. Kelce pushing Reid. James Toney drama. 

I think it’s their last SB. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

When I was about 12, I got very ill with pneumonia and a typical very high fever- a thing I finally grew out of. Except this time I hallucinated (because it was so high) and ran out into the 0F cold in mid February.

For about 20 minutes. Lay down in the snow, but someone was looking out for me. Ran back home, crunching through the snow. Spent 3 weeks in intensive care in Hospital, but to the amazement of everyone, all my toes… with gangrene.. were resurrected. 

As a result, when I went to the AFC Divisional Game on January 15, 1994, I was VERY careful. I was dressed very well in the -30 temps and stamped my feet the entire game, including going into a warm tunnel beside the food stand.

Don’t be foolish about your health and life in death defying situations! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

15 hours ago, BBFL said:

I’m sure there’s plenty of us Buffalo fans who’d pay that price for Lombardi glory 😂

I  know this is a joke but I really hope this is not true.   If it is true, some people really need to re-arrange their priorities.

Edited by Billy Claude

13 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Did they force anyone to go? If the weather is risky, stay home. 

NFL should consider risks to fans / participants for extreme cold, extreme h wheat as well as snow for playoffs games.

They extended season repeatedly as they added games to schedule.

I believe there will be changes to schedules in future years for extreme hot and cold weather.  Some will complain that it shows a weakening of the populous but public policy and group think changes things over time, it is just how it is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

You see, i just can't feel any sympathy for people choosing to stand out in the cold and then complain that it's too cold or making the decision to freeze their extremities for a football game.

Come on people, were smarted than this.......aren't we?!?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Sweats said:

You see, i just can't feel any sympathy for people choosing to stand out in the cold and then complain that it's too cold or making the decision to freeze their extremities for a football game.

Come on people, were smarted than this.......aren't we?!?

I agree but what do you tell season ticket holders and others who paid a lot of money before knowing it was going to be cold? Having said that, I wouldn't have gone.

4 minutes ago, nucci said:

I agree but what do you tell season ticket holders and others who paid a lot of money before knowing it was going to be cold? Having said that, I wouldn't have gone.

It's a sunk cost at that point.  The money is gone either way.  The decision is do you go to the game or not.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

70 out of 10 of thousands I'd say it's more that despite the terrible conditions being known there were always going to be people that weren't adequately prepared for the conditions. Hell even we celebrate Fitzpatrick going to that freezing Patriots playoff game and having his shirt off, fans can be kind of dumb.

I don't want to be mean... but modern high tech clothing and battery operated clothing, foot & hand warmers.... There is no excuse for this.  You have to prepare for weather that is worse then predicted.   I spent many years in a Military cold weather unit.  I have been trained for extended cold weather exposure. My rules for people in my group that go with me for games:

1. Assume the stadium is 10 degrees cooler then the thermometer.  Why?  The concrete literally sucks heat way.  The seats in the 300 level are metal.  That sucks the heat from the body.   The entire stadium is a natural refrigerator, when it gets below 40 degrees.  Yes, just at 40 degrees... it is like 30 once inside in side the Stadium.
  2. If you get wet and cold...it is a life threatening condition.  Staying dry is super important. Once wet, you will lose heat 3 to 5 times faster... or more.  Do a little self test of this...Splash a bit water on your face and step outside today for a minute or 2.  You will see how fast you will get cold.   
  3. Exposed skin with -10 degrees wind-chill will damage your skin under just a few minutes.  Cover up.
  4. Bring 2x or 3x the amount of hand/foot warmers that you think you need.  They never last as long as you think they will. One of those companies even have body patches.  Get them.  Amazon sells them.  Also, someone in your group will forget to bring them.  Help out people in your row. Mafia sticks together. 
  5. Going to a game in January is not about style... it is about warmth.  Yes my hunting clothes has no Bills colors (except my hat).  But I am never ever cold.
  6. Layers... layers... layers... spend the money this spring and buy heavy weight long underwear.  It is on sale.  The new stuff is pretty thin.  Get the really warm stuff.
  7. Lower the alcohol intake.  I am not saying don't drink.  Just lower your normal intake a little bit. Being drunk you lose heat very fast and you body really does not react to the cold. Your temporarily fooled into feeling warm (that does not last any way).
  8. Get serious waterproof cold weather winter boots at least 400g of insulation (I wear 1000g)... wearing sneakers is just dumb.  The parking lots always have water and mud.  You must keep your feet dry.   For $100-$200 investment, you might save getting toes amputated.  That doctor bill will run in the thousands of dollars.  For single guys (or girls) being toeless because you were dumb and not prepared is not attractive.
  9.  You see player without sleeves, don't be fooled. They have very high tech stuff underneath and head right back to the warming beach a lot.  They are not exposed at the same level the fans are. Plus they are expending a ton of energy... keeping them warm.   Notice the heavy jackets they put on.  Lots of those are heated. 

Just prepare and even in the coldest game you will be actually warm.  I actually try to be the warmest person in my group. One person in the group has to be prepared properly just in case of an emergency. The warm person can think clearly. I know that most experienced Bills fans know all of this... but I might have just helped a 1st timer that is not from Buffalo at a January game. 

Edited by Iraq Vet
grammar
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

18 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

NFL has nothing to do with it. If you choose to go someplace outside and get frostbite, that’s on you

But I guarantee they will try to sue the NFL anyway

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

This is one reason why I do not support an 18 week season.  It drives the playoffs deep into cold weather situations.

Because games don't get this cold in weeks 14-17 either?

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Iraq Vet said:

I don't want to be mean... but modern high tech clothing and battery operated clothing, foot & hand warmers.... There is no excuse for this.  You have to prepare for weather that is worse then predicted.   I spent many years in a Military cold weather unit.  I have been trained for extended cold weather exposure. My rules for people in my group that go with me for games:

1. Assume the stadium is 10 degrees cooler then the thermometer.  Why?  The concrete literally sucks heat way.  The seats in the 300 level are metal.  That sucks the heat from the body.   The entire stadium is a natural refrigerator, when it gets below 40 degrees.  Yes, just at 40 degrees... it is like 30 once inside in side the Stadium.
  2. If you get wet and cold...it is a life threatening condition.  Staying dry is super important. Once wet, you will lose heat 3 to 5 times faster... or more.  Do a little self test of this...Splash a bit water on your face and step outside today for a minute or 2.  You will see how fast you will get cold.   
  3. Exposed skin with -10 degrees wind-chill will damage your skin under just a few minutes.  Cover up.
  4. Bring 2x or 3x the amount of hand/foot warmers that you think you need.  They never last as long as you think they will. One of those companies even have body patches.  Get them.  Amazon sells them.  Also, someone in your group will forget to bring them.  Help out people in your row. Mafia sticks together. 
  5. Going to a game in January is not about style... it is about warmth.  Yes my hunting clothes has no Bills colors (except my hat).  But I am never ever cold.
  6. Layers... layers... layers... spend the money this spring and buy heavy weight long underwear.  It is on sale.  The new stuff is pretty thin.  Get the really warm stuff.
  7. Lower the alcohol intake.  I am not saying don't drink.  Just lower your normal intake a little bit. Being drunk you lose heat very fast and you body really does not react to the cold. Your temporarily fooled into feeling warm (that does not last any way).
  8. Get serious waterproof cold weather winter boots at least 400g of insulation (I wear 1000g)... wearing sneakers is just dumb.  The parking lots always have water and mud.  You must keep your feet dry.   For $100-$200 investment, you might save getting toes amputated.  That doctor bill will run in the thousands of dollars.  For single guys (or girls) being toeless because you were dumb and not prepared is not attractive.
  9.  You see player without sleeves, don't be fooled. They have very high tech stuff underneath and head right back to the warming beach a lot.  They are not exposed at the same level the fans are. Plus they are expending a ton of energy... keeping them warm.   Notice the heavy jackets they put on.  Lots of those are heated. 

Just prepare and even in the coldest game you will be actually warm.  I actually try to be the warmest person in my group. One person in the group has to be prepared properly just in case of an emergency. The warm person can think clearly. I know that most experienced Bills fans know all of this... but I might have just helped a 1st timer that is not from Buffalo at a January game. 

this is great stuff.  It should be pinned somewhere for cold weather games.  The link was great.  What boots do you recommend?  

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

sooooo the nfl stance that no temperature is too cold is probably a workplace safety concern for players, coaches, refs, security at the stadium etc…. 

and if the nfl is going to play in unsafe temps, at some point the nfl probably needs to refund fans that request not to attend in -30 type temperatures

A real simple and cheap help….  Pick up a “closed cell” sleeping pad, they’re blue and about a half inch thick.  Cost you about $15.  Because it’s closed cell, it can’t absorb water.  Cut two pieces about 1 1/2 to 2 feet long.  Put one pad under your boots and sit on the other.  You’ll be amazed at how much more comfortable you are.