Bills Cap Status - Approx $4.25 under cap 4/03/2024 (added roster change summary)

35 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Von has an out that only cost $15 million against the cap if cut him in 2025. I'd rather not touch that term with his status unknown for now.

34 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Oh I didn't realize that

It does not "cost" us anything. Moving on from Von after this season nets us $8.45M in cap space. 

Having Von on the roster in 2025 COSTS us $23.8M in cap space.
Removing Von from the roster in 2025 SAVES us $8.45M in cap space.

When it comes to moving on from players the net is much more important than the dead cap number. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Virgil said:

23 mil in dead cap space is rough

Beane obliterated the all time record for dead cap created in the 2018 offseason.   I think it was about twice that figure and that was, of course,  when the cap was much smaller.  

Now Denver has like $70M plus dead cap just for cutting Russ.  It's all relative.

I used to laugh when Beane would wax about how the previous regime had put them in cap hell when they were $32M under the cap heading into free agency in 2017 with almost nothing committed into 2019.   Gotta' respect the audacity it took to say sh!t like that when it could so easily be refuted.   He just knew the average fan would buy it unconditionally because they wanted a regime change.

BB has been faking it til' he makes it.........I think he's smart he was just really raw as a personnel man...........and I am hoping THIS is the offseason where he really kills it with great decisions.  Off to a good start not being a slave to sentimentality.    These moves had to be made, IMO.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Spotrac is keeping up pretty well.  It's -$16M with $10M added to the cap June 1st.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

I saw that. I wasn't sure if that -$16M number was with or without Tre. He is in red but I still have the option to move on from him in the roster editor. 

I cam here to ask and it has been answered. Thanks!

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, TPS said:

By the time they sign the picks, the cap hit from the draft will only be about half that amount. For example, the top pick is slotted to make $2.46 mil, but will knock someone off the top 51 list making $900K, so the net addition will be $1.56 million, and the bottom half of the draft picks may not even count for the top 51.

Spotrac estimates we'll need 11,570,141 to sign our picks and it will cost cap wise 9,185,141.https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

9 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

What's the Douglas salary conversion?

looks like they restructured 3.5M of his base salary over 4 years so it saves 2.6M of cap spave

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Someone has to explain how Von survives these cuts

Next year post June 1 designation (6m dead cap or 15m cut after season). Still 17m for post June this year/ 32m if cut now.

His dead cap is higher than his cap hit currently.  Next year it will be 6m vs 23m with a post Jun 1st designation.

Edited by The Wiz

33 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Gonna miss those guys, i think the worst part for me as a fan is watching contributors like po and morse walk to save pennies compared to what we pay von to be a scare crow. But I'm happy so far. Get younger and cheaper. 

And more athletic.  Are the players that come, will they be better than Poyer and Hyde, for example? Maybe not, but I don't think it'll be a huge drop off.

I have heard a lot this offseason about big plays Poyer and Hyde made, even this year.  But I have 2 questions when you are dealing with 30+ year old guys in the secondary....They made those plays in the past, but here another year, and another year older, would they be able to make them again?  And 2nd, Those are the plays they made...how many plays did they NOT make that someone younger/faster might have had they been in their place?

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Next year post June 1 designation (6m dead cap or 15m cut after season). Still 17m for post June this year/ 32m if cut now.

Save 6.7M this season though. 

Can you get a warm body to play that position for -$4M and put up Von’s production (1 tackle). I think so. 

35 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Gonna miss those guys, i think the worst part for me as a fan is watching contributors like po and morse walk to save pennies compared to what we pay von to be a scare crow. But I'm happy so far. Get younger and cheaper. 

Scarecrows are more valuable than present day Von and we are saving a lot more than pennies. Von is a Hall of Famer, no one cut today is close.

16 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Actually,  I wish they'd designate Von as a post June 1st cut.  

Wouldn't it be better to cut him before this?

Remaining $6.435M of 2024 salary fully guarantees 03/18/2024

Or am I missing something?

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Save 6.7M this season though. 

Can you get a warm body to play that position for -$4M and put up Von’s production (1 tackle). I think so. 

could you, yes. but that 6.7 will likely turn into 2.2m quickly when replacing Von with 1 or 2 players.  No I dont think he is the same as 2 players but they will pay 2 players to rotate in his place if they did cut him for around 4-5m so the savings isn't that much.  And when you are talking about that amount of money for edge rusher, you have no clue what you are going to get in FA in terms of production for the year.  The devil you know...

Edited by The Wiz

23 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Spotrac estimates we'll need 11,570,141 to sign our picks and it will cost cap wise 9,185,141.https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Yes, I saw that.  It's a rough estimate based on the Bills current roster of 48-49 bodies, so most of the picks would count against the top 51 as of now. As I said, that will change significantly by the time they actually sign the draft picks. The cap hit will be significantly less at that time when they have a full roster.

9 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

Wouldn't it be better to cut him before this?

Remaining $6.435M of 2024 salary fully guarantees 03/18/2024

Or am I missing something?

I wasn't aware of that provision of his contract.  That probably explains why he's still on the roster.  

19 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

could you, yes. but that 6.7 will likely turn into 2.2m quickly when replacing Von with 1 or 2 players.  No I dont think he is the same as 2 players but they will pay 2 players to rotate in his place if they did cut him for around 4-5m so the savings isn't that much.  And when you are talking about that amount of money for edge rusher, you have no clue what you are going to get in FA in terms of production for the year.  The devil you know...

Von took a cut, so I think he was in more danger of an outright release than you give him credit for.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Allen2Moulds said:

Can't restructure Von given his age.  No time left to kick the can down the road.

worse, if he doesn’t return to form you are just making it harder to escape.

If he was playing elite it would be worth a convo but the only way I’m making his 24 hit worse is by spreading his dead money because he’s cut. 

49 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

What's the Douglas salary conversion?

Base to Bonus. I would have thought it was an extension in the mix. But guess wasn’t in the cards at this moment. Maybe summer when Tres’s money frees up. 

18 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

He just restructure so...

Yeah a Pay cut. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Von took a cut, so I think he was in more danger of an outright release than you give him credit for.

I don't think it wouldn't have happened.  Honestly wouldn't have been surprised if that was the case.  But that was a different conversation 20 minutes ago.

rght now it shows about 1 million in the hole and that is without Tre White's cut.  You can go in there an add that, restructure Josh and Diggs gets you to 45 Million in cap for 24 if the Bills wanted to do that.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

rght now it shows about 1 million in the hole and that is without Tre White's cut.  You can go in there an add that, restructure Josh and Diggs gets you to 45 Million in cap for 24 if the Bills wanted to do that.

Was going to say after the Von paycut we are now cap compliant. Some simple things like a Dawkins extension or Allen restructure can give them close to 50 million in cap space. 

When the offseason first started, my dream was cutting White, Morse, Poyer, and Harty, and convincing Von to take a paycut. Consider me satisfied! Once we restructure Allen's contract we can be real players in free agency.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Wondering where we stand after all the madness…

We likely want to see Josh still convert his $$$.

But after that, can we content at all in FA without having to extend older guys (Diggs etc) that we aren’t entirely confident in? 

Just now, HappyDays said:

When the offseason first started, my dream was cutting White, Morse, Poyer, and Harty, and convincing Von to take a paycut. Consider me satisfied! Once we restructure Allen's contract we can be real players in free agency.

I agree all of this was needed but I hope we’re not real players in free agency. I hope we hit on our draft picks then whatever we don’t fill in the draft we address in free agency once the dust settles and good players like Floyd last year are sitting there looking for one year bargain deals. Let’s be smart this time around Beane

2 hours ago, Success said:

This is a soft rebuild - but I don't think that takes us out of contention this year. 

Quite the opposite. Putting younger less injury prone players on the field and freeing up cap space puts us MORE in contention this year. No doubt in my mind we will be a better team than last year.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

He would have kept more money if we just released him, he wants to win & be a team player

Edited by uticaclub

Spotrac has us at 7mil over the cap currently (I am not sure if all of the moves are reflected) but obviously before any Allen deal.

Going off this number; and 11 mil for rooks, it looks like they’ll have 10 or so mil at minimum to play with in free agency if they get the Allen money converted. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/