Tre White Gone

WotAGuy

Purged our defensive backfield.  Rapp is a FA at this point.

Defense was great last season. Right now, not feeling good about it.  Beane must have a plan.  But dang.

Edited by davefan66

Love the player but I don't know how you could keep him around at his cap hit given the last two seasons. 

Good luck to him, I doubt it's the end of his NFL career. 

1 minute ago, WotAGuy said:

Haven’t had a day like this since Thurman, Bruce and Andre were cut. 

Those were Hall of Famers, core to our success.

White, Poyer, Harty, Morse, and yesterday's moves...don't compare at all.

It's necessary moves, the writing was on the wall for all these guys.  Making too much/negative ROI right now.

Just now, BillsfaninSB said:

Yep.  I really wish it was different but I think the Bills are doing the right thing. 

I didn’t think they had much choice. Two seasons in a row lost to injury and no real sense that he’d be back to 100% this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

This move had to be made

Yeah. What a bummer. I love Tre. I’ll certainly be pouring one out for him later. Great dude, great teammate, great CB. 

• Agree 1

The only thing I don't understand is why the post-6/1 designation? We won't be able to use that $10M until after FA has dried up, unless the plan is to roll it over to 2025.

That being said I am really happy that Beane went this route. I did not think he had it in him.

• Agree 4

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

Those were Hall of Famers, core to our success.

White, Poyer, Harty, Morse, and yesterday's moves...don't compare at all.

It's necessary moves, the writing was on the wall for all these guys.  Making too much/negative ROI right now.

Of course the guys being cut can’t compare to three HOFers, but when has there been a purge of so many players who had so much success and were beloved, since the big three were cut?

5 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Yep.  I really wish it was different but I think the Bills are doing the right thing. 

When the dust settles we will look back and appreciate Beane going in this direction. The time now is to emphasize getting younger, smaller contracts and building a better offense around Josh. 

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I didn’t think they had much choice. Two seasons in a row lost to injury and no real sense that he’d be back to 100% this season. 

Agree.  But I meant more generally with respect to the purge today. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

Yeah. What a bummer. I love Tre. I’ll certainly be pouring one out for him later. Great dude, great teammate, great CB. 

Seems like some will be rubbing one out for him judging from some of these posts. 

• Dislike 2

17 minutes ago, LEBills said:

Great player, injuries suck

I think that’s the story here and not one that anyone can be mad about. 

he has one of the toughest injuries to return from at his position and likely will never be the player that earned the major money. 

it’s no one’s fault. Just bad luck for a good guy that carved out a nice career. Hopefully he gets a few solid years contributing and hangs them up happy and on his terms instead of limping out of the league as a shell of his former self.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Purged our defensive backfield.  Rapp is a FA at this point.

Defense was great last season. Right now, not feeling good about it.  Beane must have a plan.  But dang.

It’s a defensive rebuild. I think we saw this coming last year with all the 1 year deals.

But we’re set at CB and LB next year. I feel confident McDermott will have the safeties ready. I’m worried about the DL.  Need 3 solid additions on the DL at minimum.

1 minute ago, WotAGuy said:

Of course the guys being cut can’t compare to three HOFers, but when has there been a purge of so many players who had so much success and were beloved, since the big three were cut?

Just depends on perspective, Thurman/Bruce/Reed are Bills legends.  

White/Po/Morse were all very good players, but none of these guys ever contributed near the success.  I just don't too attached to players, unless stars.

Just now, BillsfaninSB said:

Agree.  But I meant more generally with respect to the purge today. 

I think the Bills moved up this vet purge by a season. Likely that was due to Miller and White’s significant injuries. So it could’ve waited a season, but it was coming. And I think it was the prudent move. IMO it also is a vote of confidence for McDermott. You don’t do this and then fire your HC in a year. You have to let him see the rebuild through. So I think he’s here for at least a few more years unless he loses the locker room. 

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s a defensive rebuild. I think we saw this coming last year with all the 1 year deals.

But we’re set at CB and LB next year. I feel confident McDermott will have the safeties ready. I’m worried about the DL.  Need 3 solid additions on the DL at minimum.

Been a series of 1 year deals on the line for the last few season.

CB is Rasul and Benford starting for sure. Safety will be FA or draft most likely.  Defensive line is a concern.  Daquan and Epenesa are both loses of we don’t resign.

Offense needed the defense to play great last season at many points. Now, the offense looks to be the ones to carry the team.

Beane has a plan. Won’t get too freaked out until we get to the first day of training camp.

3 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Been a series of 1 year deals on the line for the last few season.

CB is Rasul and Benford starting for sure. Safety will be FA or draft most likely.  Defensive line is a concern.  Daquan and Epenesa are both loses of we don’t resign.

Offense needed the defense to play great last season at many points. Now, the offense looks to be the ones to carry the team.

Beane has a plan. Won’t get too freaked out until we get to the first day of training camp.

They gave this crew every opportunity and couldn’t win a championship with them, so it’s time to move on. They’ll find guys to fill in and keep taking swings. 

• Agree 1

Two of the best men in the Buffalo locker room were cut today in Tre White and Mitch Morse.

White's been my favorite Bill for a while now. Sad to see him go, but understand why it needed to happen from a football and salary cap perspective.

Thank you for everything, Tre'Davious.

Tre White Goalie Academy for life!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

They gave this crew every opportunity and couldn’t win a championship with them, so it’s time to move on. They’ll find guys to fill in and keep taking swings. 

just hope we don’t take too many steps back.

And don’t think it was the defense that held us back at times.

Edited by davefan66

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The only thing I don't understand is why the post-6/1 designation? We won't be able to use that $10M until after FA has dried up, unless the plan is to roll it over to 2025.

That being said I am really happy that Beane went this route. I did not think he had it in him.

If you take Tre's $10M post June savings and throw that on Von Miller's Dead cap, Von's outright cut saves about $1.5M this year and it's over.

It's a possibility.

29 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

They have plenty of "levers to pull" to get plenty of cap space.    This cut was just a football move that was hastened by a money deadline, IMO.   The other moves were more money moves hastened by a money deadline.    It is highly unlikely for Tre to return to form.   

37 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I think the Bills moved up this vet purge by a season. Likely that was due to Miller and White’s significant injuries. So it could’ve waited a season, but it was coming. And I think it was the prudent move. IMO it also is a vote of confidence for McDermott. You don’t do this and then fire your HC in a year. You have to let him see the rebuild through. So I think he’s here for at least a few more years unless he loses the locker room. 

LOL.. that statement will explode a few heads around here.