Jets grant Zach Wilson permission to seek trade

Gregg

2 minutes ago, DJB said:

Not sure there will be any takers with the cap he carries. My guess is he’s simply cut 

They won't get much that is for sure if a trade is worked. But maybe a team is willing to take a chance on him. From a physical skills standpoint he is pretty good. He can make all the throws you need to make at the NFL level. He can scramble to avoid the rush as well as make plays running like Josh does. With him it's all mental. He doesn't trust what he is seeing out there and understanding what looks the defense is giving him. It's a big reason why he makes bad decisions with the ball. Throwing INT's or taking sacks because he holds on to the ball too long. I don't know if that is fixable or not.

7 minutes ago, DJB said:

Not sure there will be any takers with the cap he carries. My guess is he’s simply cut 

Probably, but he should have a pretty reasonable salary and any bonus money would be on the Jets. I wouldn’t be surprised to see someone take a chance on him. Plenty of talent and some of the worst coaching I’ve ever seen the last few years (especially last year)

Just now, Low Positive said:

We can laugh, but I want Zach Wilson and Mac Jones to turn into productive NFL QBs. That would be torture for Jets and Pats fans and I'm here for that.

My dream scenario is Wilson goes to the Giants and wins a Super Bowl 

Just now, Captain Hindsight said:

My dream scenario is Wilson goes to the Giants and wins a Super Bowl 

I hadn't thought of that, but now that I have what I want is almost that. Wilson to the Giants and leading them to the SB only to face the Bills. In the SB, Zach turns back into a pumpkin and throws three pick-sixes. Bills win and both Jets and Giants fans cry. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

The comparison here is Trey Lance because of the draft position and cap hit and the 49ers were able to get a 4th round pick.  There are a few teams out there with a ton of cap room who want to add a qb to the competition.  I think the Commanders, Bears, Patriots, and Raiders could deal a late round pick for him.

I don’t know, with Lance there’s still an element of unknown and upside.  Wilson’s shown enough to me that he just sucks.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Why would you trade for Zach Wilson when Josh Rosen is still out there and available???

Is Rosen even in the league anymore. I know he went from team to team for a while, but I haven't heard anything about him recently. 

Wonder if they attempt a trade with the Cardinals if one of Daniels/Maye/Williams make it to 4…

Consensus is that given the right price and not too far of a drop that AZ would trade out of there. 

19 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Is Rosen even in the league anymore. I know he went from team to team for a while, but I haven't heard anything about him recently. 

Teams keep signing him to the PS, looking at him for a few weeks, and then cutting him. The last were the Vikings at the end of last season. One would hope that this experience has been humbling for him, because lord knows he needed it.

• Like (+1) 1

I just saw an article on CBS sports that discusses 5 possible fits for him. First one mentioned? Yup...I can't see that, right? They mentioned his athletic ability and how it fits into our system with Josh...

32 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Wonder if they attempt a trade with the Cardinals if one of Daniels/Maye/Williams make it to 4…

Consensus is that given the right price and not too far of a drop that AZ would trade out of there. 

I’ve been seeing a lot of mocks with the Cards taking one of the QBs. I don’t get it honestly. They can’t be ready to move on from Murray yet right. He missed a season with injury but they are so heavily invested I’d think they have to at least try and work it out. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

If they trade him it’s only a 5.7m dead dollar cap hit.  If they can’t find a partner it’s 11.1m dead dollar  cap hit when they release him.  Don’t let them off the hook.

Well that depends on the roster bonus.  Just says on spotrac "due at training camp".  Cap hit is the same with him on or off the roster.  

That would mean that any compensation would likely tie super late 2025 picks, and you would have to wait with him on the books for months. 

They will cut him, unless there's a way the jets can just agree to eat the bonus on their cap.   Not worth the effort to get like a 2025 7th round pick.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd offer a pair of used boxer shorts and $5 dollar off voucher for Wendy's. 

Seeing that Wendy’s is instituting congestion pricing that voucher has value.., 😂

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

They won't get much that is for sure if a trade is worked. But maybe a team is willing to take a chance on him. From a physical skills standpoint he is pretty good. He can make all the throws you need to make at the NFL level. He can scramble to avoid the rush as well as make plays running like Josh does. With him it's all mental. He doesn't trust what he is seeing out there and understanding what looks the defense is giving him. It's a big reason why he makes bad decisions with the ball. Throwing INT's or taking sacks because he holds on to the ball too long. I don't know if that is fixable or not.

I think it's fixable short-term, but long term maybe not. I think that's the same problem Mayfield has, trusting what he sees. Perhaps it's because they are both on the shorter size for a QB at 6' tall.

"Can we get Zach Wilson from you?"

is better than
"What will you trade us for Zach?"

is better than

"Zach, you're free to go if someone actually wants you."

I can picture him outside the combine, walking around wearing a sandwich board: AVAILABLE FOR WORK.

3 hours ago, DJB said:

I suspect, if they can find someone, it will be a Wilson and a 6th for a 7th type of situation. A team preparing to draft a QB next year, might take the cap hit off their hands for pick and the long shot that Wilson can actually play football.. or the jet Blue discount that comes with him.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd offer a pair of used boxer shorts and $5 dollar off voucher for Wendy's. 

This no longer Dave's Wendy's and coupons are not worth that much.

I had a coupon for free frosty buying another and store said I had to buy a sandwich to use coupon.

I stated it does not state so on coupon and person at register said "Manager's decision and he is not here to discuss it."

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

If they trade him it’s only a 5.7m dead dollar cap hit.  If they can’t find a partner it’s 11.1m dead dollar  cap hit when they release him.  Don’t let them off the hook.

This is a huge issue. The new team would be taking on $5.5M in guaranteed salary and roster bonus (due at training camp) for Wilson. No one will do that unless they get more in picks back than they give (i.e. Osweiler trade). The Jest are going to have to eat most of that to get some team to take him off their hands for a swap of 7th round picks. 

• Like (+1) 1