Per Yardbarker, Aiyuk may want out of SF

BillsWest

The Aiyuk saga in SF has been very strange. There was a weird period where he was getting benched a few years back and there was whispers about him getting moved because of problems with him and Shanny. That’s quieted down in the last 2 years and his production has exploded as their number one-ish WR. 

I could see him being moved, but I don’t think it would be for Diggs, especially as Diggs is an unwilling blocker. He has enough production to warrant a first rounder as a starting point in negotiations, I could see them retaining Jennings and jettisoning Aiyuk.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I don't see a scenario where trading diggs makes sense and doesn't just open up a massive hole.  No compensation offered will do anything to move the needle.  The offers will be things like 4th and 5th round picks.  I don't want that.  

Improving WR2 should help a lot.  Need more speed, and ideally someone with more route running chops.  Brady never really got it working with Diggs oddly enough, but I'm willing to bet he has a plan since they hired him.  

WR1 - Diggs

WR2 - ??? - Ideally a rookie with some wheels and hands

WR3 - Shakir

WR4 - ??? - Vet who can play inside and out

WR5 - Harty i guess - totally open to moving him but maybe they just lower the cap hit and keep him as a returner

WR6 - Shorter or a rookie who outplays him

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Guy wants all the targets and with that comes #1 money. Can’t just move Diggs or his contract to pay a guy the same if not more. Certainly can’t pay them both. Aiyuk, as good as he is/can be, is a pipe dream. 

3 minutes ago, BillsWest said:

They went on to say one option would be a trade to Buffalo for Diggs.  One disgruntled wr for another.  Though Diggs is 5 years older and has double the salary.

Diggs has a CAP HIT that is about twice that of Aiyuk, but their salaries are much closer. Aiyuk is set to play on his 5th year option of $14.1M. Diggs has a salary (plus roster and w/o bonuses) of $19.0M. Those are the cap hits that would travel to a new team. Also if SF trades Aiyuk his new team will have already negotiated an extension.

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I don't see a scenario where trading diggs makes sense and doesn't just open up a massive hole.  No compensation offered will do anything to move the needle.  The offers will be things like 4th and 5th round picks.  I don't want that.  

Improving WR2 should help a lot.  Need more speed, and ideally someone with more route running chops.  Brady never really got it working with Diggs oddly enough, but I'm willing to bet he has a plan since they hired him.  

WR1 - Diggs

WR3 - Shakir

WR5 - Harty i guess - totally open to moving him but maybe they just lower the cap hit and keep him as a returner

Agree with this, except we don't know if the vet or the rookie is WR2 or WR4 yet. Could go either way. 

Financially, we cannot trade Diggs. The only way would be if he added like 3 void years to his contract so we could spread out the cap hit. And I don't know if that's even legal by NFL rules, to add void years to a contract without adding anything else. It's not gonna happen. I think Aiyuk, if traded, will end up in Houston, New England, or maybe Tennessee. 

2 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

WR1 - Diggs

WR3 - Shakir

I think this list demonstrates that the receiver issue is quite manageable, so long as we assume Diggs will return to form.  Personally, I think Diggs was dealing with undisclosed, or underdisclosed, injuries, and he'll be back.  If that's true, they just need a quality #2, and they can fill in the #4 spot easily enough.  

The success of the passing game depends much more on what Brady does than some major overhauls of the wideout room. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I think this list demonstrates that the receiver issue is quite manageable, so long as we assume Diggs will return to form.  Personally, I think Diggs was dealing with undisclosed, or underdisclosed, injuries, and he'll be back.  If that's true, they just need a quality #2, and they can fill in the #4 spot easily enough.  

The success of the passing game depends much more on what Brady does than some major overhauls of the wideout room. 

Diggs gutted out the ProBowl with his mystery injury.

• Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, BillsWest said:

They went on to say one option would be a trade to Buffalo for Diggs.  One disgruntled wr for another.  Though Diggs is 5 years older and has double the salary.

It cost us a lot more than just Diggs to get Ayuk as he's going to be in his prime years. While I'd love to have him not sure he's worth the compensation unless we get him for a 2nd or lower. 

55 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Sounds like Aiyuk values himself more than he's really worth. Is he that good?

Close to 18 yards per catch, 71.4% catch rate about to be 26 years old. He might not be the best WR in the NFL but he's in the top 10-15 discussion IMO

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Financially, we cannot trade Diggs. The only way would be if he added like 3 void years to his contract so we could spread out the cap hit. And I don't know if that's even legal by NFL rules, to add void years to a contract without adding anything else. It's not gonna happen. I think Aiyuk, if traded, will end up in Houston, New England, or maybe Tennessee. 

no.  send him to an nfc team!!

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I would argue no, Idgaf about the All-pro award, whats does he actually do that’s special?  I can’t find it.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

He put up damn good numbers this year.  The talent isn't in question.  Just needs to be in the right situation. 

Not saying that I'm interested or that Bills should pursue him, but there'd be no drop off in production here if you swapped him for Diggs.  My opinion.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, H2o said:

No, it does not work like that. When a player is cut or traded all paid signing bonus money that has not been accounted for accelerates to the current year if pre 6/1. Post 6/1 it goes to the following year except for what is already being accounted for in the current year. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

A trade for Diggs is just not going to happen !!! The only way it could for the Bills is if they could find a team to take on his contract along with the trade .

The Bills are in no way going to trade him & take the cap hit of his contract so we all can forget that . 

Never say never but i just don't see it !!

Get some young WR talent in the draft that will be more cost effective until Diggs retires or they can wave him with the least amount of cap use to go into the future .

Diggs still has some left in the tank & if a D coordinator were to not to plan for him when getting ready to play the Bills along with a couple of good young WR's and who they already have i fell Diggs would make them pay . But i guess ya'll can dream .

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Aiyuk+Diggs= Von Miller type money/cap hit

That's depressing, because I would much rather have the 2 WR than a DE who can't play anymore 

This conversation is depressing.  I'd much rather discuss the 5% chance Von gets suspended and we're off the hook with that ridiculous contract. This is why it's so critical we draft 2 promising wrs in April. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Stats... When Josh needs to convert a crucial 1st down, he looks for Diggs. 

Last drive:

Diggs- 3 targets, 0 catches, 0 yards.

Kincaid- 3 targets, 3 catches, 21 yards.

3rd down plays to Knox, himself (run), Sherfield.

Not buying.

• Agree 1

On 2/14/2024 at 9:48 AM, Mark Vader said:

He's the #2 rated wr out 128 on PFF, behind only Tyreek.

Regardless of opinions on PFF rankings, he is universally regarded as being a really good wr.

On 2/14/2024 at 10:10 AM, Sweats said:

No way does any team want Diggs with that attitude and contract baggage.

Not to mention about to be 31 years old and didn't have a great ending to his season. I still love Diggs but the Bills are for better or worse "Stuck" with him. Grab a WR in round 1 and round 3 along with a decent vet to replace Harty and give Shakir a bigger role, you can also kick the tires on Shorter. WR is going to need a lot of attention this off-season likely in the draft and in free agency.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Turk71 said:

He's the #2 rated wr out 128 on PFF, behind only Tyreek.

Regardless of opinions on PFF rankings, he is universally regarded as being a really good wr.

Tyrel Dodson was the #2 rated LB behind Fred Warner.

that said- Aiyuk is dam good, but he’s not a fit for Buffalo imo.  Too much 💴 

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 1

On 2/14/2024 at 1:39 PM, Shaw66 said:

I would argue there is hardly a receiver issue which I know will get big reactions.  Diggs Shakir and Kincaid are a pretty good set of three pass catchers with two still developing.  A rookie and vet are likely.  The holes on defense are much larger, they have 1DT but they need at lease 4, They have 2 DE's (3 if you count Jonathan) but need at least 4.  Hyde has to be replaced.   Possibly some other holes could be made if they have any cap casualties.

On 2/14/2024 at 10:46 AM, BillsWest said:

Diggs isn't disgruntled 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.