Per Yardbarker, Aiyuk may want out of SF

BillsWest

The Aiyuk saga in SF has been very strange. There was a weird period where he was getting benched a few years back and there was whispers about him getting moved because of problems with him and Shanny. That’s quieted down in the last 2 years and his production has exploded as their number one-ish WR. 

I could see him being moved, but I don’t think it would be for Diggs, especially as Diggs is an unwilling blocker. He has enough production to warrant a first rounder as a starting point in negotiations, I could see them retaining Jennings and jettisoning Aiyuk.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I don't see a scenario where trading diggs makes sense and doesn't just open up a massive hole.  No compensation offered will do anything to move the needle.  The offers will be things like 4th and 5th round picks.  I don't want that.  

Improving WR2 should help a lot.  Need more speed, and ideally someone with more route running chops.  Brady never really got it working with Diggs oddly enough, but I'm willing to bet he has a plan since they hired him.  

WR1 - Diggs

WR2 - ??? - Ideally a rookie with some wheels and hands

WR3 - Shakir

WR4 - ??? - Vet who can play inside and out

WR5 - Harty i guess - totally open to moving him but maybe they just lower the cap hit and keep him as a returner

WR6 - Shorter or a rookie who outplays him

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Guy wants all the targets and with that comes #1 money. Can’t just move Diggs or his contract to pay a guy the same if not more. Certainly can’t pay them both. Aiyuk, as good as he is/can be, is a pipe dream. 

3 minutes ago, BillsWest said:

They went on to say one option would be a trade to Buffalo for Diggs.  One disgruntled wr for another.  Though Diggs is 5 years older and has double the salary.

Diggs has a CAP HIT that is about twice that of Aiyuk, but their salaries are much closer. Aiyuk is set to play on his 5th year option of $14.1M. Diggs has a salary (plus roster and w/o bonuses) of $19.0M. Those are the cap hits that would travel to a new team. Also if SF trades Aiyuk his new team will have already negotiated an extension.

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I don't see a scenario where trading diggs makes sense and doesn't just open up a massive hole.  No compensation offered will do anything to move the needle.  The offers will be things like 4th and 5th round picks.  I don't want that.  

Improving WR2 should help a lot.  Need more speed, and ideally someone with more route running chops.  Brady never really got it working with Diggs oddly enough, but I'm willing to bet he has a plan since they hired him.  

WR1 - Diggs

WR3 - Shakir

WR5 - Harty i guess - totally open to moving him but maybe they just lower the cap hit and keep him as a returner

Agree with this, except we don't know if the vet or the rookie is WR2 or WR4 yet. Could go either way. 

Financially, we cannot trade Diggs. The only way would be if he added like 3 void years to his contract so we could spread out the cap hit. And I don't know if that's even legal by NFL rules, to add void years to a contract without adding anything else. It's not gonna happen. I think Aiyuk, if traded, will end up in Houston, New England, or maybe Tennessee. 

2 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

WR1 - Diggs

WR3 - Shakir

I think this list demonstrates that the receiver issue is quite manageable, so long as we assume Diggs will return to form.  Personally, I think Diggs was dealing with undisclosed, or underdisclosed, injuries, and he'll be back.  If that's true, they just need a quality #2, and they can fill in the #4 spot easily enough.  

The success of the passing game depends much more on what Brady does than some major overhauls of the wideout room. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.