WR or Dlineman? What would be your main priority..

I know we all want to address the WR position but I still think the main priority for the team going forward is to re-establish the defensive front around Oliver. To beat Mahomes, You gotta affect the QB. It’s not the sexy pick but you have to keep investing in the D line. We just watched Mahomes win another SB and this time he didn’t have a single 1,000 yrd WR…

3 times vs. Mahomes in the playoffs and I don’t think we have one sack against him. I definitely think we need to add a WR but I don’t believe we should be putting all our chips in that basket. I think Brady is going to have to develop an offense that can get more out of the passing game and Diggs. 

• Disagree 9
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

I feel like the "Invest in the D-Line to sack Mahomes" is only something you say if you're a team that doesn't have an elite quarterback. The singular goal of this draft should be to give Josh Allen playmakers and to not make "Josh Allen hero ball" the only way to compete. Yes, we should invest multiple picks in the defense but it's well past time to give the best QB in franchise history the best weapons of his career. McDermott is a defensive coach. He needs to figure out how to put together a decent defense that doesn't come at the expense of the offense.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, KentuckyBillsFan said:

I feel like the "Invest in the D-Line to sack Mahomes" is only something you say if you're a team that doesn't have an elite quarterback. The singular goal of this draft should be to give Josh Allen playmakers and to not make "Josh Allen hero ball" the only way to compete. Yes, we should invest multiple picks in the defense but it's well past time to give the best QB in franchise history the best weapons of his career. McDermott is a defensive coach. He needs to figure out how to put together a decent defense that doesn't come at the expense of the offense.

All we have is Diggs, and hes not on the level of JA where you can lean on him and he carries weight. Diggs is a piece, not a machine. We need more parts. I say draft 2 or 3 WRs this year and bring in a ton of undrafteds. The only other acceptable option is throwing a package together to get MHJr. 

And bring in Ricky Pearsall

14 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

I know we all want to address the WR position but I still think the main priority for the team going forward is to re-establish the defensive front around Oliver. To beat Mahomes, You gotta affect the QB. It’s not the sexy pick but you have to keep investing in the D line. We just watched Mahomes win another SB and this time he didn’t have a single 1,000 yrd WR…

3 times vs. Mahomes in the playoffs and I don’t think we have one sack against him. I definitely think we need to add a WR but I don’t believe we should be putting all our chips in that basket. I think Brady is going to have to develop an offense that can get more out of the passing game and Diggs. 

WR, DL, Safety, WR, DL then fill in with BPA.  I'm sick of Josh getting crap for WR targets.  Give the man a legit #2 in this draft that can push Diggs and supplant him at #1 going forward. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Bpa is the way to go if u have a safety that's rated a 8-10 on the board and a wr or de that's a 5-10 then u draft the safety. We've made to many mistakes in the draft just drafting for need. The Bills need difference makers whoever they see on the board that they can see reaching that potential then take them i don't care if it's a RB or a Safety just go get some stars on this team. 

We've seen plenty variations of champions and other then QB there's not really a definitive position that stands out as must have maybe other then pass rushers. Otherwise we seen teams with great Wrs win and average Wrs win and great CBs win and average CBs win I can go on and on. The thing is having 3-5 difference makers that's been the common denominator 

• Agree 2

I would not reach on a player just to get a receiver but they reached over receivers for a corner two years ago IMO. I think receiver is priority #1, Dline is priority #2 and safety is priority #3. 

That doesn't mean you MUST draft them in that order, but that's the order of priority for me. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 7

Depends on how the board falls and what the Bills do in FA.

The draft is very deep at WR and depending on who is there you could possibly find a day 1 starter/key contributor at WR on day 2. 

So, for me let's say the Bills snag a Darnell Mooney in FA...but decide to let DaQuan Jones walk. I'd be good in that scenario taking someone like T'Vondre Sweat at that spot and being prepared to slide up a bit in Rd 2 for a WR if a run starts to happen. 

• Agree 2

Me wide receiver
Bean, I don’t know

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I would not reach on a player just to get a receiver but they reached over receivers for a corner two years ago IMO. I think receiver is priority #1, Dline is priority #2 and safety is priority #3. 

That doesn't mean you MUST draft them in that order, but that's the order of priority for me. 

I think that people that want other positions are really not thinking it through about just how important a good wide receiver pic would be

diggs Is not getting any younger, and frankly did not have very good second-half season last year

We mostly assured they are going to lose Gabe Davis

We were forced to use Trent Sherfield way too much and harty was a real disappointment

If we had wide receivers, that could actually catch a ball that’s being thrown to them we might not have lost that Kansas City game. I counted 3 Big Pl. that were dropped.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillMafia716ix said:

If there's a TJ Watt/Chris Jones in this year's draft, then go for it. If not, then surround Superman with more members of the Justice League. Superman can't defeat the Legion of Doom all by himself

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

WR, DL, Safety, WR, DL then fill in with BPA.  I'm sick of Josh getting crap for WR targets.  Give the man a legit #2 in this draft that can push Diggs and supplant him at #1 going forward. 

Not that I’m in favor of this but if we plan on playing more man next year and Elam gets his act together a very easy thing to improve the d would be to flip one of Douglas or Benford to safety and to then invest that pick elsewhere.  (I’m totally against moving Benford, FWIW, but the thought exercise there is a reasonable one.) 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Enough of what? This is an Internet forum built on the concept of exchanging thoughts, ideas and opinions. 

Of taking d lineman! No issue with the thread, that was my opinion on the subject 

DL first, then WR in the second (depending on who is available) as things stand at the moment.

We have very little in the DLine at the moment with all the FAs, and unless we have an eternal sign 1 year DL deals we do need regular input of fresh blood. 

WR depth is good in this year's draft, apparently, so a good WR can be had in the 2nd, DL on the other hand is much thinner. 

We will have to see what gets done in Free Agency, by the time the draft arrives our needs could be very different.

The Bills only need:

- one more stop against the Chiefs

- one more score against the Chiefs

That would flip the script for at least two of the playoff losses.

Which is the easier path?

I’d bet on achieving one more score. A WR with deep ball ability would seem the best way to make it happen.

Priority list

1.  DT - we have only one signed.  I see 2 additions in the draft and an FA as the starter.  I expect a McGovern-level signing if Jones isn’t re-signed. I think they'll grab one DT in the 1st 3 rounds.

2.  Safety.  Poyer and Hamlin are signed.  Need an FA possible starter and at least one higher draftee to compete in camp for the starter's job. We need someone better than Rapp. I expect S to be drafted in the top 4 rounds.

3.  WR - Need a Davis upgrade and an eventual Diggs replacement maybe as early as 2025.  This should be our 1st pick, even if management likes Shorter as Gabe's replacement.  GB convinced me that you can’t have enough talent in the receiving room.  I’m also interested in a late-round WR, but suspect we’ll see a cheap FA instead.

4. Edge - Rousseau is the man. Miller is a maybe and Jonathan an unknown.  We are going to need two bodies here.  I see one middle draftee and a cheap FA.  Maybe we find enough money to keep Epenesa and lower the draft priority.

5 & 6 OT and Center. Brown and Dawkins are on 1-year deals, as is Morse and Bates.  Get some middle-round bodies in and see if one has the goods to be a starter in 2025.  It would be a dream draft if Van Pran falls to the Bills in the 3rd.  That would also us to trade Bates and save $5 million in cap to use elsewhere.  

7.  CB Douglas and I think Taron Johnson only have one year left on their deals and who knows whether While returns. Elam is a bust so far and the CBs on special teams aren’t returning.  Seems like a good time to grab one in the 5th or 6th rounds when we have 5 picks.   

8.  RB - Right now Cook is our only RB.  Re-signing Ty Johnson should be done.  If Hines’ knee doesn’t look good, I expect Beane to draft more depth here.

TE and LB need one more player each. I expect both jobs to go to cheap FA. 

Edited by GASabresIUFan

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

Not that I’m in favor of this but if we plan on playing more man next year and Elam gets his act together a very easy thing to improve the d would be to flip one of Douglas or Benford to safety and to then invest that pick elsewhere.  (I’m totally against moving Benford, FWIW, but the thought exercise there is a reasonable one.) 

I really like a Douglass extension and move to Safety.

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Re- Sign DQ

WR Round 1.

If the monster Longhorn Sweat makes it to around pick 50, try and get him.

If not, another WR in Round 2

draft a DT in 3 or 4 and sign an additional vet to go with DaQuan

I see no fault in your logic sir!

I would draft 2 WRs and say "f*ck the salary cap" and bring in Danielle Hunter or Brian Burns who will both be free agents. I'm tired of not having that elite pass rusher. Danielle Hunter just had a 16 sack season at 29. We can get 3 good years out of him

The goal of this game is to outscore your opponents.  

With an elite level QB like Allen, I want elite level skill players surrounding him

Until we get a defensive coaching staff that can actually scheme like Spagnuolo, it's not the right use of resources to surround them with top draft picks.  Let them make do with what we have and it might just be good enough

But we can't keep scoring 10, 20 points in these clutch playoff games against top QB's and expect to ever get a ring

I think the most important question to answer is: when the game is on the line do you want the offense or defense to be on the field?

For me, I trust Josh Allen the most on this team.

Give the man weapons all over the field to throw the ball to.  3 Legit WRs to worry about is what we need.  Give him a solid OLINE for once and see what he can do.

10 Picks

1st round: either WR or DT (Sweat).  That dude can play and is worth waiting to the 2nd round to get a WR if we can get him.

If we don't get a WR in the 1st and we get Sweat, then we go WR twice between the 2nd-4th rounds. 

We also need a Safety to start that transition.

After that... BPA, prob mostly on Defense.

Do not need in draft: QB, TE, K, Punter, RB, LB

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I would draft 2 WRs and say "f*ck the salary cap" and bring in Danielle Hunter or Brian Burns who will both be free agents. I'm tired of not having that elite pass rusher. Danielle Hunter just had a 16 sack season at 29. We can get 3 good years out of him

Sadly cannot go back in time. But Imagine we had no Miller contract right now and were ready to spend that money on J Allen, D Hunter, B Burns, C Jones, etc

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, schoolhouserock said:

The Bills only need:

- one more stop against the Chiefs

- one more score against the Chiefs

That would flip the script for at least two of the playoff losses.

Which is the easier path?

I’d bet on achieving one more score. A WR with deep ball ability would seem the best way to make it happen.

The easiest way to outscore the Chiefs in that game would’ve been having a competent NFL kicker

• Like (+1) 1

Can we please be done with the loser mentality of trying to stop Mahomes? It’s literally almost never been done. Stop throwing resources at it. No team gets to him. No team stops him. The way to beat them is to out score them. Once and for all give our future HOF QB some weapons that he can use. Maybe, just maybe, we’ll be up by more than 1 score near the end of the game and don’t have to rely on our defense to stop Mahomes in a scenario if they let up a score, we lose. 

24 minutes ago, hjnick said:

I think the most important question to answer is: when the game is on the line do you want the offense or defense to be on the field?

For me, I trust Josh Allen the most on this team.

Give the man weapons all over the field to throw the ball to.  3 Legit WRs to worry about is what we need.  Give him a solid OLINE for once and see what he can do.

10 Picks

1st round: either WR or DT (Sweat).  That dude can play and is worth waiting to the 2nd round to get a WR if we can get him.

If we don't get a WR in the 1st and we get Sweat, then we go WR twice between the 2nd-4th rounds. 

We also need a Safety to start that transition.

After that... BPA, prob mostly on Defense.

Do not need in draft: QB, TE, K, Punter, RB, LB

💯 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, mrags said:

Can we please be done with the loser mentality of trying to stop Mahomes? It’s literally almost never been done. Stop throwing resources at it. No team gets to him. No team stops him. The way to beat them is to out score them. Once and for all give our future HOF QB some weapons that he can use. Maybe, just maybe, we’ll be up by more than 1 score near the end of the game and don’t have to rely on our defense to stop Mahomes in a scenario if they let up a score, we lose. 

I think your thinking is on the right track here.  The Bills are playing catch up and the problem in regards to the Chiefs is that's a moving target.  By the time you address some glaring problem they've moved past it and morphed into something different.  Like re-tooling their defense over the course of a couple season all while winning the Super Bowl twice.  Face it, that's a scary thought they can go through a re-load and at the same time win the title.  Also, lets not forget the rest of the competition, the Jet with Rodgers, Dolphins, Ravens, Browns, Bengals, Texans, and maybe even the Chargers with a coach that knows what he's doing.  Did I forget anybody?  Maybe the Jags?

Drafting a likely #1 WR in the 1st and giving Allen another target gets my vote.  I struggle with going D-line because the draft history there, with the exception of Oliver, hasn't yielded any consistent play makers.  Keeping all the picks and hitting on almost every one is going to be important.  Beane's in the spotlight here.

4 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Stud CB and cut Tre's lame arse

It needs to be an offensive weapon ie: a wide receiver, that catches the ball, play boundary ,slot etc etc and run the whole damn route-tree, 

you can get linemen throughout the entire draft that are useful, where we are picking at 28 the elite ones will be gone anyway, go offense, 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.