Seven Nation Army on Gamedays

Just now, sleeby said:

Cause it gets many people pumped up and crazy train - over 40 years old and nothing to do with Buffalo- is way over used.

May I suggest 'A Milli' by Lil Wayne?  Real loud so the snare sounds like gun shots.  That would get a rise out of everyone of one form or another; and maybe some lawsuits too.  Good stuff.

Wait, are you saying the crazy train horn or crazy train by ozzy? Love Crazy Train! 

3 hours ago, bobobonators said:

How is it wild? It has to do with the game day experience. The song is not a classic and has no bearing to anything Buffalo, so why continue playing it every home game? Is the song deserving of being a Bills tradition on gameday? It’s a valid question in my opinion. 

No, they do not. 

I actually think the song is a "classic" in its genre and a lot of sports teams in both college and professional sports play this song.  I agree that it doesn't appear to have any direct relevance to Buffalo, but it doesn't bother me one way or another if the Bills want to use it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MPL said:

My real issue with 7 Nation Army being a thing at all stadiums is that it further over inflates Jack White's sense of importance and belief that anyone who plays a minor pentatonic riff over a four-on-the-floor beat is ripping off the White Stripes. 

I have no idea what that means but it sounds musically intelligent.  

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Why do the Bills always play this song on gamedays?  The song is 20yrs old and, as far as I’m aware, has zero relevance to Buffalo. 

In my opinion, playing this song comes off as tacky, outdated and simply put:  embarrassing. 

1. Why do we play this song?

2. Who is responsible for selecting the playlist on game days. 

Any info would be greatly appreciated. 

How dare them. F**king bastards

• Haha (+1) 1

The Shout song and 7 nation army are not comparable.  One was a version of a song custom made specifically for the Bills that we have been using for decades, the other is a song used by sporting venues all over.

I don't personally have any issue with the song, it just seems really played out and generic.  On the contrary, when you hear that "Aye aye aye aye" you know it is for the Bills.  Doesn't matter where you are.  Any Bills fan's ears are going to pick that up and echo it back.

Oregon does play the original Isley Brothers version of the "Shout" song during their games but it isn't tailored specifically for them.

Some quick hitters that come to mind (that I am sure everyone will be in universal agreement, likely unanimously praise me and not criticize my ideas at all) are something like:

Highway Song by Greta Van Fleet

Hysteria by Muse

The intro of Power by Kanye

People keep mentioning the Goo Goo Dolls for the regional connection but you could also potentially find something from Rush or The Hip that would be relatively regional. 

Just my 2 cents.

....  Hooray for off-season threads

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Why do the Bills always play this song on gamedays?  The song is 20yrs old and, as far as I’m aware, has zero relevance to Buffalo. 

In my opinion, playing this song comes off as tacky, outdated and simply put:  embarrassing. 

I'd rather they play Chelsea dagger. Something different 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Since we’re on the subject, I always had an issue with the sabres using “Rock You Like a Hurricane” in their broadcasts and game day … Carolina Hurricanes anyone?

I did think the orchestral version they played on Sabres game day was cool. 

Ummm...because it's awesome!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

It's far from the only song we use that's 20 years old or more. Should we not play "Welcome to the Jungle" either? "Mr. Brightside"? "Crazy Train"?

I don't know if you've noticed, but Rock hits have been extremely few and far between for a long, long time. We play songs that pump up the players and the crowd and that's predominantly Rock music. Who cares if it's outdated?

What do you suggest? The Weeknd, Taylor Swift, Olivia Rodrigo, Juice WRLD, and Lizzo non stop?

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's far from the only song we use that's 20 years old or more. Should we not play "Welcome to the Jungle" either? "Mr. Brightside"? "Crazy Train"?

I don't know if you've noticed, but Rock hits have been extremely few and far between for a long, long time. We play songs that pump up the players and the crowd and that's predominantly Rock music. Who cares if it's outdated?

What do you suggest? The Weeknd, Taylor Swift, Olivia Rodrigo, Juice WRLD, and Lizzo non stop?

Bills Mafia - I suggest the Sopranos opening song, Woke Up this Morning. 

🤓😀😃😁

2 hours ago, gtw3 said:

The Shout song and 7 nation army are not comparable.  One was a version of a song custom made specifically for the Bills that we have been using for decades, the other is a song used by sporting venues all over.

I don't personally have any issue with the song, it just seems really played out and generic.  On the contrary, when you hear that "Aye aye aye aye" you know it is for the Bills.  Doesn't matter where you are.  Any Bills fan's ears are going to pick that up and echo it back.

Oregon does play the original Isley Brothers version of the "Shout" song during their games but it isn't tailored specifically for them.

Some quick hitters that come to mind (that I am sure everyone will be in universal agreement, likely unanimously praise me and not criticize my ideas at all) are something like:

Highway Song by Greta Van Fleet

Hysteria by Muse

The intro of Power by Kanye

People keep mentioning the Goo Goo Dolls for the regional connection but you could also potentially find something from Rush or The Hip that would be relatively regional. 

Just my 2 cents.

....  Hooray for off-season threads

Well said. You completely understand what I’m getting at, and stated it better. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

You know, that's not a bad idea.......

(joking)

5 hours ago, extrahammer said:

Better yet, why are networks still playing 80's music like Twisted Sister in and out of commercial breaks?

...cheap licensing fees.

LOL

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, bobobonators said:

History lesson 

the song was nothing…

then a European soccer team in Belgium adopted the song as its fight song and then it went to Italy, Italy adopted it on its World Cup run in 2006 , caught on and has been adopted around sports

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/11/626288758/american-anthem-world-cup-white-stripes-seven-nation-army

https://deadspin.com/how-the-song-seven-nation-army-conquered-the-sports-w-5875933

links are sone of many 

Edited by djp14150

13 hours ago, bobobonators said:

tenor.gif?itemid=11382885

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, bobobonators said:

It's got a good beat, and you can dance to it.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Some of the responses here are gold. Lol

I’d say I have not heard the song at another NFL stadium (4 different stadiums) in the last 5yrs. I’ve heard it at some college football games. No baseball games. 

This is very important to me. This way next time someone asks me why the Bills play Seven Nation Army every game I’ll just continue to say I have no idea. “Good bass” 🤷🏻‍♂️😊

Baltimore plays it all the time.  Orioles and Ravens. 

You're right, they should play Barenaked Ladies, Get Back Up, just for the chorus...

Get back, get back up
You gotta get back, get back up
You got a whole stadium on their feet, it's not about a victory or a defeat
See you gotta get back, get back up
You gotta get back, get back up

18 hours ago, bobobonators said:

You can ask here...

Buffalo Bills Contact Us | Buffalo Bills - buffalobills.com

It's called stadium rock. Every place would still be playing  "Rock and Roll Part 1 " by Gary Glitter if he hadn't been caught with young girls in Thailand. 

They used to play the theme from Jaws at every kickoff around 1990.

Maybe they should play polkas? That is relative to Buffalo.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Since we’re on the subject, I always had an issue with the sabres using “Rock You Like a Hurricane” in their broadcasts and game day … Carolina Hurricanes anyone?

I had way more of an issue with the late 80s LaFontaine era Sabres embracing the Jefferson Starship banger "We Built This City on Rock-n-Roll!" 😂

(complete with the 80s-ish non-rock-n-roll sounding synthesizer noises)

Plus, Jack White is a huge fan of Gordie Johnson & Big Sugar, which makes him somehow even cooler than I already thought he was

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, bobobonators said:

How is it wild? It has to do with the game day experience. The song is not a classic and has no bearing to anything Buffalo, so why continue playing it every home game? Is the song deserving of being a Bills tradition on gameday? It’s a valid question in my opinion. 

No, they do not. 

I hate the song as much as anyone, but not a classic ???? I’m pretty sure the whole world can recognize that song after hearing the first 3 notes 

12 hours ago, djp14150 said:

History lesson 

the song was nothing…

then a European soccer team in Belgium adopted the song as its fight song and then it went to Italy, Italy adopted it on its World Cup run in 2006 , caught on and has been adopted around sports

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/11/626288758/american-anthem-world-cup-white-stripes-seven-nation-army

https://deadspin.com/how-the-song-seven-nation-army-conquered-the-sports-w-5875933

links are sone of many 

Interesting story of how it came to be. It was the same song that rose to number one on Billboard’s alternative rock chart, fizzled out after three weeks, and was mostly an afterthought until a bar in Belgium played it. This perfectly encapsulates the copycat nature of society. One European soccer club uses the song, then another uses it, then it makes its way back to the states where it was created, and they get wind of what others were doing and then they use it. One by one. I’m in agreement, Buffalo needs their own anthem, not one that’s played out and heard in sporting venues all over. 

20 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Imagine having so little going on in your life that you think playing a song in a stadium is embarrassing. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.