Bills Last Great Defensive Lineman

1 hour ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Daquan Jones

He's overlooked because of being primarily a run defender, but he is always doubled and frees up linebackers to make plays.  He's what Star Lotulelei was supposed to be.

Agreed, but also invisible last Sunday  😞

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Mario Williams was the closest they've had to that since the 90s.  

A truly dominant, disruptive pass rusher is the hardest thing to find with the exception of QB.  It's not impossible to find one outside the top 10 picks,  but the odds are definitely stacked against you.  Greg Rousseau definitely isn't at that level,  but the Bills are damn lucky he's as good as he is.  

I hope 5 sacks a year isn't "as good as he is"......

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I hope 5 sacks a year isn't "as good as he is"......

I think he had a foot injury for awhile this year.  Regardless,  6-8 per year is about what I'd expect of a 'good' LDE and I think Rousseau will likely average in that range yearly until age and injuries become a long term factor.  

That 20-32 area tends to be fool's gold when it comes to DE.  Not always,  but too many of them never do anything.  I'm just glad Rousseau has been a productive starter.   

I would say Mario Williams was the last great one, at least in terms of pass rush prowess. Defensive line as a whole has been a true enigma for this team in recent years, and another reason that McD's failures should be magnified even more:

-Oliver: Lived up to the contract but completely invisible when it mattered most against the Chiefs

-Miller: Started off last year strong but his injury rendered 2023 a wasted season. Ironically was really the only guy that showed up against Chiefs though.

-Rouseau: Injuries have been an issue for him. Seems to be following Shaq Lawson trajectory as a great run defender but bust as a pass rusher which is what he was drafted for.

-AJE: Has emerged as a solid rotational piece, but injury also slowed him down in 2nd half of season and likely going to get bigger deal elswhere in FA

-Floyd: Was great in the first half of season but only had one sack in final 8 games including playoffs.

-Jones: Has shown pass rush prowess but also has had injury history and didn't deliver when needed in playoffs either.

Other than that expect more musical chairs with some of these other guys in the offseason, including Lawson and Phillips who it's probably time to move on from once and for all too.

Mario Williams remains one of the most confusing Bills enigma's to me ever. Just the most physically impressive and dominant man "when" he felt like playing. I mean he could just manhandle grown a$$ men around like nothing. Yes, Bruce was the best, but Mario was just a completely physically imposing man, when he wasn't checked out.

If we think Von's invisibility stints were bad, just remember watching Mario standing around play after play doing absolutely nothing. I don't think I've ever seen it before or since, completely checked out, standing around. I still have nightmares of watching him drop back into coverage too ??? WTF was happening.... like the twilight zone. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I know you are joking, but his tipped pass INT of Romo on MNF is still one of the most athletic plays I've ever seen a DL make 

Your post made me look up replay. Agree.

Also realized we had John its not delivery, it's DiGiorgio on the team 😀

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Mario Williams is probably the most talented guy from the last 20 years with Kyle following up.

Mario/Kyle Williams is spot on. Maybe Schobel?

Could add Jerry but I don’t think you can classify him as “great”. 

Edited by BBFL

4 hours ago, Maybe Someday said:

Chris Kelsay  :) 

Always loved the move when he would sprint 10 yards down the field, then, with the grace and agility of a row boat, would turn around to start rushing the QB.

1 hour ago, babulator said:

Mario Williams remains one of the most confusing Bills enigma's to me ever. Just the most physically impressive and dominant man "when" he felt like playing. I mean he could just manhandle grown a$$ men around like nothing. Yes, Bruce was the best, but Mario was just a completely physically imposing man, when he wasn't checked out.

If we think Von's invisibility stints were bad, just remember watching Mario standing around play after play doing absolutely nothing. I don't think I've ever seen it before or since, completely checked out, standing around. I still have nightmares of watching him drop back into coverage too ??? WTF was happening.... like the twilight zone. 

My memories of Mario Williams are tainted by the last 2 years here where he fell off a cliff in quality and became mostly irrelevant. The first 2 seasons he could be incredible in games and dominate.  Dareus was a bust, Schoebel and Kyle Williams were pretty solid. Nothing compares to Bruce though.

Seeing these names like Jones and Schobel makes me wonder if people even understand what an impact guy looks like. AJ's performance against Jacksonville is what it looks like. A defensive lineman who literally alters the course of game perhaps even multiple times.  Schobel had good stats but he's not wrecking a game like that. Probably the last guy who could do it was Mario. 

Edited by Mikie2times

I feel like in today's NFL it's a mistake to invest too heavily in DL.   Elite offenses can almost totally neutralize pass rush either through scheming and releasing the ball in under 2.5 seconds(Purdy, Burrow, Tua) or just having an elusive QB that can extend plays with their legs(Allen, Mahomes, Lamar).   Look how our divisional rounds ended the last 2 years.  Burrow carved us up like a surgeon last year.   This year neither Allen or Mahomes were sacked as both QBs simply avoided any pressure either used their legs or in Mahome's case ripped off huge chunk plays.  Good DL will manhandle average teams but when facing the top of the top, they become ineffective.    The positions are still important moreso for the sake of run defense IMO but in the Bills case we have guys on the edge who like to over pursue the QB and often leave huge openings to the outside.  Mahomes, Pacheco and Edwards-Helaire each had 20+ yd runs against us last week.   

If the Bills take DL too early in this next draft that would be a critical mistake IMO.   Recent history has proven it doesn't matter how much you invest in those positions, their is huge diminishing returns when you face elite offenses in this league.   

Edited by Lost

22 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Mario Williams was the last truly elite game changer we had up front. I think Ed was pretty close this past year. Yes Sunday was not a good game for him, but I have confidence he will build again next season. 

Thuney had a 99.1 percent win rate this season, so I can’t really fault Ed. Thuney was off-the-charts good this season. The bigger question posed by a very close friend who is a diehard Pats fan (going back to the Grogan/Sam Bam Cunningham days) is why Belichick let him go. Yet another terrible personnel decision by BB.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Thuney had a 99.1 percent win rate this season, so I can’t really fault Ed. Thuney was off-the-charts good this season. The bigger question posed by a very close friend who is a diehard Pats fan (going back to the Grogan/Sam Bam Cunningham days) is why Belichick let him go. Yet another terrible personnel decision by BB.

And just our luck he is out for tomorrow. Typical. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I fault Ed. It’s understandable, but like they say, you want to be a star, you gotta give me a star effort.

22 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Aaron Maybin! Most talented painter we've ever seen on the Bills DL

How embarrassing was that pick?

OBD was so inept, they didn’t even realize he could get on the field for 3rd Downs… because he was so ***** light!

Arakpo, Cushing, Jenkins, Maclin, Harvin, Clay Mathews & A Davis all came immediately after! I cringe when that name comes up associated with that buffoon Head Office!

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Mario Williams was the last truly elite game changer we had up front. I think Ed was pretty close this past year. Yes Sunday was not a good game for him, but I have confidence he will build again next season. 

Oliver strikes me as mediocre and a bust, overall.  Despite his best season of his career this past year.

How about Ted Washington?  I'll add him to the list of good ones since Bruce.

• Disagree 2

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

Oliver strikes me as mediocre and a bust, overall.  Despite his best season of his career this past year.

How about Ted Washington?  I'll add him to the list of good ones since Bruce.

He isn't mediocre. Or a bust. If he strikes you as that, that is a you problem.

2 hours ago, Lost said:

I feel like in today's NFL it's a mistake to invest too heavily in DL.   Elite offenses can almost totally neutralize pass rush either through scheming and releasing the ball in under 2.5 seconds(Purdy, Burrow, Tua) or just having an elusive QB that can extend plays with their legs(Allen, Mahomes, Lamar).   Look how our divisional rounds ended the last 2 years.  Burrow carved us up like a surgeon last year.   This year neither Allen or Mahomes were sacked as both QBs simply avoided any pressure either used their legs or in Mahome's case ripped off huge chunk plays.  Good DL will manhandle average teams but when facing the top of the top, they become ineffective.    The positions are still important moreso for the sake of run defense IMO but in the Bills case we have guys on the edge who like to over pursue the QB and often leave huge openings to the outside.  Mahomes, Pacheco and Edwards-Helaire each had 20+ yd runs against us last week.   

If the Bills take DL too early in this next draft that would be a critical mistake IMO.   Recent history has proven it doesn't matter how much you invest in those positions, their is huge diminishing returns when you face elite offenses in this league.   

Just curious, then ...do you think Detroit wasted a 2nd overall pick on Hutchinson, and he is NOT one of the main reasons Detroit is in NFC championship game?

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.