Mr. Pegula please read Tyler Dunne’s newest article

Well, to be fair, many of his suppositions are widespread.  

Here's how one ex-Bill starter put it: “There’s so many coaches that you can just name and plug in there and they won’t be worse.”

The Bills have the quarterback capable of reaching the Super Bowl, yet asked Josh Allen to be Ryan Tannehill. Because Allen is still Allen, he can still find a way to be special under these rigid circumstances.

Those are wide spread beliefs.  

And for real, did McD really say this; 

“When you look back to the AFC Championship, our first playoff meeting with Kansas City, it wasn’t close,” McDermott said. “It really wasn’t. We were at a different point. They were at a different point. Now, it is close. That shows you the strides we’ve made over the years. ..."  

It's statements like that that beg the question as to how bright the man really is.  We've actually gotten worse, fewer points scored on offense, more allowed on defense for us since '21.  Both our O and D rank 3 spots worse this season than back then.  

KC's offense OTOH is a shell of what it was in '21, they're scoring nearly a TD/game less.  Kelce was in the tail end of his prime then, and they had the best WR in the league, Tyreek Hill.  

We didn't gain on them other than relatively, any gains made were due to KC's diminishment, not our improvement.  McD's deluded if truly believes his own BS.  There's no way anyone can legitimately spin it any way other than the difference being KC's offense being a shell of what it once was.  

..., which LOL, if true, merely ads more fuel to the time-for-McDivisional-Round-Loss to go.  

Otherwise, given all of that in the article, it explains why we play to the level of our competition.  "Complimentary Football" in McD's mind is just that, about our strategy of staying close.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/the-buffalo-bills-have-a-decision

Tyler Dunne is spot on. Great article I don’t understand how at the very least we couldn’t have told Sean McDermott hey we’re going to explore other options at head coach in the next few weeks. We are not firing you unless we find someone we think will maximize Josh Allens talents and get us to a Super Bowl more than you can.

It’s an off-season that has Hall of Fame coaches just sitting there for the taking. Why not at least check it out.  What’s the worst that happens if we do that? McD gets pissy and resigns. Well thank God for that. 

Probably because Tyler Dunne has an obvious axe to grind with his petty stories to try and boost his failing website and insignificant life.

Only losers completely try and trash another man's character to try and boost their own.

He can go f**k off for all I care about. If I was friends with him after reading that first article I would never speak to him again.

That showed the type of man he is and the character he has and best be assured when it came time and he had a decision to make where he could get personal gain by trashing any of his friends, he will do the exact same thing to them.

Poor character doesn't exist in a vacuum it defines who a person is and the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior in the same situations.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Do you have proof of this?

He's charging $7 a month. Know how many subscriptions you have to see to make a living?

Dude is obviously trying to write the most controversial things he can and doesn't care what he has to do as long as it gets press coverage and clicks.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

This piece is friggin’ stupid. And I have my issues with McDermott. Dunne is doing the Substack-adjacent version of what Nick Wright does — accentuating all the negatives to rile up a fanbase in order to build his brand. The Bills lost to a better (because healthier) team in KC that also has a better kicker and would have lost to a very healthy Ravens team next week. 

I can only speak for myself and while Dunne may have a personal grudge with McD what he says in that article matches many of my own observations.  I agree that had we beat KC we would likely have lost to the Ravens next week.  But the point Dunne is making is not unreasonable.  The Bills have hit a wall at the Divisional Playoff round.  And Dunne's argument that they hit this wall in large part because of McD & Beans refusal to focus the necessary resources and mindset against surrounding their uniquely gifted QB with the best talent available rings true to me.

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What part of Frazier literally saying he is taking a year off because he needs a break is confusing to you about him now a year later taking interviews for a promotion as a HC?

Frazier said it's either HC or retirement he is done being a DC 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What part of Frazier literally saying he is taking a year off because he needs a break is confusing to you about him now a year later taking interviews for a promotion as a HC?

How many times have you heard someone say he is leaving to spend more time with his family when we know that is not the truth.

Believe what you want. Again, that is your prerogative.

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

How many times have you heard someone say he is leaving to spend more time with his family when we know that is not the truth.

Believe what you want. Again, that is your prerogative.

Better question…how many times have you actually known that’s not the truth vs just making up your reality opposite of all known facts?

34 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

He's charging $7 a month. Know how many subscriptions you have to see to make a living?

About 500 (to make a living that is greater than the average American annual income). Judging by his traffic, Id guess he probably has 2x or 3x that many subscribers (that’s why I was curious if you had a reason to think the site was failing).

I do find the whole thing to be pretty weird. He is a well respected journalist and was never known to be a hit piece writer in the past. 

Edited by Einstein
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

About 500 (to be higher than the average American annual income). Judging by his traffic, Id guess he probably has 2x or 3x that many subscribers (that’s why I was just curious if you had a reason to think the site was failing).

I do find the whole thing to be pretty weird. He is a well respected journalist and was never known to be a hit piece writer in the past. 

Which likely was greatly boosted by that article

The entire active roster collectively flipped this man the bird, he comes back to piss on the ashes of a heartbreaking loss and people are on hear saying well maybe he's got the Bills best interest at heart.....***** really?

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

And for real, did McD really say this; 

“When you look back to the AFC Championship, our first playoff meeting with Kansas City, it wasn’t close,” McDermott said. “It really wasn’t. We were at a different point. They were at a different point. Now, it is close. That shows you the strides we’ve made over the years. ..."  

It's statements like that that beg the question as to how bright the man really is.  We've actually gotten worse, fewer points scored on offense, more allowed on defense for us since '21.  Both our O and D rank 3 spots worse this season than back then.  

He was referencing the 2020 team (our defense finished 16th in ppg and 14th in ypg that year).  Not the 2021 team.  Beane made similar comments.

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

The entire active roster collectively flipped this man the bird, he comes back to piss on the ashes of a heartbreaking loss and people are on hear saying well maybe he's got the Bills best interest at heart.....***** really?

He wants to be proven right and I guess he thinks the KC loss validates it.

Everyone torching the author but not the substance of the article.   People should be pis$ed about this defense.   Our coach specializes in something he's terrible at in the playoffs.  My biggest worry is that we regret not making a move later.  Like we keep him crap next season away and we're stuck with him because there are no great coach options.

I just don't see a benefit to him staying anymore.   I know this is the popular Homer opinion.   I can't see how it's wrong.  I want to have faith next year will be great.  I think it's gonna just be Josh carrying the team again.   

6 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

Tyler Dunne is spot on. Great article I don’t understand how at the very least we couldn’t have told Sean McDermott hey we’re going to explore other options at head coach in the next few weeks. We are not firing you unless we find someone we think will maximize Josh Allens talents and get us to a Super Bowl more than you can.

this is a ridiculous approach. Apply this to anything in life and tell me how it works out.

Is this a technique to use with your marriage partner? “Hey we’re married but I’m going to go look for other partners, but we’re going to stay married unless I find someone that I think is better than you.” 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I knew the injuries would be the rally cry. What about in 20 and 21 when the D was relatively healthy and McD’s unit still gave up 38 and 42? Or when we couldn’t stop the Bengals last year? 

Healthy or not, McD’s side of the ball ALWAYS lets us down in big games. Literally every single time. 

2 years in a row McD and his fans have used injuries as an excuse. They have no problem blaming Josh either. Whatever it takes.

Edited by Governor
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

Dunne and his crew of haters blew it this year. 

Keep hoping for us to lose next year so you can say you were right. 

They did lose, and it was because of the unit he directly coaches. Just because he started going for it on 4th down post article doesn't make the first one not true. They will never win it all with him and it's because of him. 

5 hours ago, LifeLongBillsFan said:

why are there so many post Nannie’s on this site - don’t like it don’t read it

just be happy people are here to post with

Kind of like the comment Nannie's - don't like it don't read it.

Since Sunday these are the fire McD topics:

1. McDermott excuses valid but concerning

2. Can we afford Bill Belichick

3. What realistic coaching changes do you expect?

4. Harbaugh to Bills (would it work?)

5. Would Belichick be a good fit here?   (Merged)

6. So we're firing McD, right?

7. Why can't McD win with all this?

8. McDermott will scape goat himself using injuries as an excuse.

9. Buffalo (McDermott) & Syracuse (Barbers).  (Merged)

10. If we get a new head coach, would we make the playoffs?  (Merged)

11. Do we go after Jon Harbaugh l, we he consider Buffalo?  (Merged)

12. Playoffs under McDermott.

This is the 13th repackaged fire McD topic. Getting kind of hard not to read it. But you're probably right, it's not overkill, don't comment on beating the dead horse until we reach topic 50. 

Edited by Donuts and Doritos
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

This is pretty dumb.  Imagine telling your head coach, hey, we are going to see if something better is out there.  Sit tight.   Why are people's brains broken?

Spot on. It's the equivalent of somebody telling their wife or girlfriend that they don't want to breakup but they want the opportunity to see if there is somebody better looking out there.

Edit- iccrewman112 beat me to the punch.

Edited by holla83

8 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

It’s an off-season that has Hall of Fame coaches just sitting there for the taking. Why not at least check it out.  What’s the worst that happens if we do that? McD gets pissy and resigns. Well thank God for that. 

Anybody have a Mcd gif of him saying "Wright"? 😂

All jokes aside I want him gone as well but he's not going anywhere. If they wanted a great coach I'm pretty they can get one instantly with Bill Belichek the man has gone to 11 Superbowls in his career and would do wonders with this team. 

9 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

I agree 100%,   your at home and we should have played more like we did against the Pats. Scoring fast gets the crowd into the game and that is what you want when playing at home. These ground and pound game plans are not going to get it done,  your leaving it up for final drives and anything can happen as we saw.  This team needs to restock at WR and get back to being a high scoring offence.

For me when your playing at home it should always be about getting up 2 scores and then letting the crowd get into the game. Our crowd never got into this game because everything went slow.  I know McDermott fanboys don't want to hear this but we will never win with him as HC because he is terrible on game day and cannot make adjustments.  That fake punt was dumbest call all season,  if your going to do that then go ahead and pass on every down.  McDermott is a good coach,  he is just not a great coach .

Even Marv Levy saw the importance of scoring and passing,  the goal for this team next season should be scoring 35 points or more every game and not these 12-15 play drives that end up in FG'S

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Pegula should sit Beane and McD down and have them present a plan as to what they will do to get past the Chiefs and get to the Super Biwl.  If he is unhappy with the plan then make a change.

Dunne should sit down and read actual sports journalists of the past and present, guys like Larry Felser or Peter King, and learn how to write critical pieces that do not so blatantly show a personal animus towards his subject.  After this nonsense there is no way I’d give him a dime for his site.

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Then you're missing out on a man telling the truth here.  I get that Dunne has a "rep" but check these out and tell me he's wrong:

Those suffering from Drought Brain — terrified of another dark age — will soon nestle into another blanket of excuses and swiftly demonize any criticism of team, of coach.

None of this happens if the Bills — ownership on down — operate with Allen at forefront of mind. He’s the most important person in the building. He’s the employee with the richest contract in Buffalo sports history. That’s what blew the minds of so many players and coaches I spoke to for The McDermott Problem. Those who’ve been around McDermott every day describe the coach as a simpleton when it comes to this position, as if he never understood that Allen was the No. 1 reason this team is a Super Bowl contender.

As I write this column, McDermott is holding his season-ending press conference. He says the biggest reason for their turnaround was cutting down turnovers. Let’s hope he doesn’t try to neuter Allen’s arm this offseason after taking aim at his legs last offseason

The only one that should be neutered is Mcd and his horrible defense that can't do nothing against real competition. This regime just can't adjust Andy Reid will always look across that field vs Mcd and will have full confidence he can and will handle him. The very least Mcd needs to do because he's not getting fired is too hire a bonafide DC and let him run the defense. Mcd won't do that his ego is part of his problem and he keeps saying we're close as if getting to the Superbowl was like building a house! I hate to say it but Tyler is spot on the Bills won't win nothing as long as Mcd is in control. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 5

4 hours ago, iccrewman112 said:

this is a ridiculous approach. Apply this to anything in life and tell me how it works out.

Is this a technique to use with your marriage partner? “Hey we’re married but I’m going to go look for other partners, but we’re going to stay married unless I find someone that I think is better than you.” 

The crowd that wants to apply this to marriage are completely off the horizon. This is in fact NOT a marriage. No one told McD we’re committing to you until death do us part BUT for some reason he is getting that kind of treatment. 

This is a BUSINESS first and for most. In any business the owner and CEO should be making the best decision to maximize profit. Our biggest profiting sales item is Josh Allen so EVERYTHING should be geared toward making that item flourish. 

If the manager running the Josh Allen side of the business isn’t getting the most out of the product, it’s fully in the rights of the company to look at better alternatives while keeping the manager in place or firing him if they deem it necessary. 

To keep this analogy going, we have monopolized this market with a rare product (Josh Allen)  no one else can ever get. We have a guy (McD) overseeing how this product gets used who stumbled into the position by happens stance and hasn’t taken the time to research how to best use the product himself. He also doesn’t have the skill set or vision to take this product as far as it can go.  Why wouldn’t the company try and look elsewhere to get the best visionary for this once in a lifetime job opportunity?

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

Tyler Dunne did. He wrote a whole article that the Bills were trash and gonna miss the playoffs and McD is a football and real life terrorist.

Then it all blew up in his face and they rattled off 6/7 wins to take the 2 seed.

Must suck to be such a writer lmao

Whoo effing Hoo!!! The two seed! Aren’t we special. Kinda like that #1 ranked defense two years ago.

Time to change the suffix on your screen name. 😉

But, yeah, keep worrying about a clickbait monger saying nasty things and don’t worry about the man behind the curtain .

• Like (+1) 1

I think the organization is still in a stage where getting to the postseason regularly after a near 20 year drought is an accomplishment. In comparison to those teams, this era of Bills look unbeatable.

The front office needs to start looking at where this organization is player & personnel wise compared to the other top contenders. Division titles are meaningless without playoff success. 

Questions need to be asked: McD vs Reid in the postseason. McD's time management; struggles against Cincinnati. 

Edited by Billsfanatic8989
  • Like (+1) 1

Tyler Dunne ? That's the guy you choose to listen to or thinks is coming up with a solid idea? Quite obvious has an issue with McDermott - perhaps for good reasons, perhaps not- but the dude isn't even good at his job- let's let NFL decisions be made by , I don't know people involved  in the NFL and not some giant d bag that has an obvious agenda and limited creative writing skills.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, FireChans said:

I legitimately do not give a crap if Jerry Jones agonizes on his weekly radio show or Pegula does not. Who cares?

that's one way to miss the point

10 hours ago, Logic said:

I was a person who said mid-season that the Bills should turn the page from McDermott.

I can't sit here and say that I 100% changed my mind on that, or that I'm fully confident McDermott should be the guy moving forward.

But I would be remiss not to mention this:

From the bye week onward, and really from the publishing of the first Ty Dunne article onward, I thought McDermott improved dramatically. He fired his offensive coordinator midseason and replace him with a guy who, by most accounts, was better equipped for the job. He did a deep dive on his own defense over the bye week and came back with more aggressiveness, disguise, and variety, and the unit improved dramatically. He started coaching with more aggressiveness in his gameday decision making, routinely going for it on 4th down on his own side of the field and early in games. He started being more aggressive in his end-of-game decision making and defensive play calling. In short, he improved on almost all of the areas about which myself and others had concerns about him.

On top of all of that, his players rallied around him and won five straight games to secure the two-seed, then won a playoff game and almost won another. I thought the way the players backed him up when the chips were down spoke volumes. Rallying to the two-seed after the way the season started also spoke volumes.

All of this is to say that McDermott has reached a point where I no longer watch him on game day and think "he has to go. He can't get the job done. It's time to move on". From about the bye week onward, his decision making and his coaching were impressive to me, as were the results on the field. Even in the Chiefs playoff game, it's hard to say with a straight face that McDermott was the reason we lost. 

It's all a moot point anyway, because McDermott will be the coach in 2024. But I, for one, am no longer in the "he needs to be shown the door immediately" camp. With the way he improved the second half of the season and into the playoffs, and the way the players still seem to buy into his coaching and his culture, he has indisputably earned himself another season at the helm of the Buffalo Bills. If the Bills give up 30 and lose in the Divisional round again next season, we can re-visit the topic.

This is a team that should have won at least 11 games all along.  McD had them at 6-6.  They got to 11 and bounced again by KC, at home.  

I can't give McD a trophy for getting this team at least where it should have been.  Sure there were injuries, every team has them.  No one  was saying that KC was a powerehouse or juggernaut coming into that Divisional playoff game....

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Their press conferences were just the same fluffy stuff they always say. And I know they aren’t going to say anything controversial, but they are gonna run it back, probably draft some receivers and the result unfortunately will remain the same. Our only hope is that they realize they just need to unleash Josh and allow him to be the guy he is meant to be. That’s all that matters. 

I don't think the Bills run it back with the same team this year. Some vets will get cut for either lack of performance or cap purposes. They have to get younger and need a game changer (WR) on offense. Beane really needs to hit a HR in the draft this year. The team will look different at least the defense will. 

• Agree 1

There’s always been two ways to view today’s Bills. Group No. 1 views this as a team with a balled-up fist banging on that Super Bowl door, bound to knock it down. This is how the organization is sold at press conferences. Group No. 2 sees a window closing. Group No. 2 knows the quarterback cannot ***** souls forever and — correctly — wants to see coaching and management that maximizes Josh Allen while he’s Josh Allen.

Dunne is 100% right about this, a bunch of people in this thread have their heads buried in the sand.

Maybe the best approach at this point is to stick with McDermott and hope that we luck into a super bowl.  It's possible.  If we make the playoffs every year, there's a decent chance that the ball will eventually bounce our way a few games in a row.  That's not a totally unreasonable strategy.  But Dunne is right that we're being coached by Marty Schottenheimer, which would be a-okay if Tyrod Taylor was under center, but it feels kind of criminal when we have a HOFer in his prime.

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

No thanks.   The bum got pantsed again.

Reid stole his lunch money in that second half, even with the fluky touchback gift.   

I'm not saying *I* want him back, just what Beane and Pegula are going to do. I don't think he can get us to where we want to go, but there are no other alternatives other than Vrabel, IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

Just like the last game was the lowest scoring shootout ever, McD is the worst consistent 11 win coach in the league right now.  Hyperbolic statements, but it they have enough truth to make you think.

I guess you just keep rolling with the dude & his program, and hope they accidentally back into a championship one of these years.  Just like 2017, they certainly won't "earn" it on their own.

• Eyeroll 1

12 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

This is pretty dumb.  Imagine telling your head coach, hey, we are going to see if something better is out there.  Sit tight.   Why are people's brains broken?

Agree!  To take it a step further and to help clarify the silliness of the notion, let's put it in different terms to help some understand . . .

This is pretty dumb.  Imagine telling your wife/GF, hey, I'm going to see if something better is out there.  Sit tight.   Honey, why would you be so upset? I don't understand . . .

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.