Was the old playoff format better?

Nklaiste1

When we played KC we were banged up and they had a 2 day rest advantage. If we had played under the old format (6 teams), we would've gotten a BYE and had a big rest advantage. 

So my question is which format do you think is better? The 6 team or 7 team? 

I personally like the 6 team format better because I feel 2 teams from each conference should get a bye.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 12

I liked it better and I also liked the NFL regular season at 16 games.  The seasons are just getting to be excruciatingly long and so many players are either completely out with injuries at this point or playing banged up and not close to 100%.  I am not using this as an excuse for why the Bills lost but just a general statement on the NFL

Edited by BillsPride12
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 15

I agree. The old 6 format or go to 8 (no byes or byes for top 4 (div winners all get byes). Do not like the 1 team getting a bye. Its a long season the difference between the 1 seed in many cases is just luck in what teams you played, etc. 

19 minutes ago, Nklaiste1 said:

When we played KC we were banged up and they had a 2 day rest advantage. If we had played under the old format (6 teams), we would've gotten a BYE and had a big rest advantage. 

I personally like the 6 team format better because I feel 2 teams from each conference should get a bye.

Super Wildcard weekend was Super Crappy.

It will never revert to the old state but I agree. It was much better.

• Like (+1) 1

I liked the 6 team per conference system when there were only three divisions.  Things got out of wack after the expansion to four divisions per conference.  The third best non-division winning team was often better than the worst division winner but left out.  

Nfl all about money now. They want those week 18 games now that were added to mean something.  Getting 110 million from peacock for extra playoff game ain't going away.  I love the Bills and will always support them, but I think going to cancel Nfl network after skipping on Sunday ticket this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

Yes.

16 games is better than 17 or 18.

6 playoff teams in each conference is better than 7.

The "Super Wild Card Weekend" games are often one-sided blowouts, as you'd expect when the second and third best teams in the conference take on 9-8 squads that barely made it.

The extra week per regular season (and eventually two of them) and the extra playoff team and playoff game are about one thing and one thing only: More inventory, which equals more money. These things were not added with the quality of the game or the experience of the fan in mind. They were added SOLELY to make the league more money, even if it means watering down the product itself.

Mark Cuban was not wrong. The NFL is Icarus, and one day its wings will burn.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I like the current format and NFL isn't going back. It wouldn't have been a 2 day rest advantage if there wasn't blizzard and cancellation on Sunday

It would have been a one day rest advantage to the #3 seed over the #2 seed.  This makes no sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Nklaiste1 said:

I agree.  The top 2 teams should get a bye.  Its too much of an advantage to give to one team only in each conference, it's truly an unfair advantage currently 

Edited by Gunsgoodtime

6 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

I agree.  The top 2 teams should get a bye.  Its too much of an advantage to give to one team only in each conference, it's truly an unfair advantage currently 

If you survive a 17 game schedule with the best record in the conference don't you deserve an unfair advantage? 

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

50 minutes ago, Nklaiste1 said:

There are so many problems with the current format, who knows where to begin. 

-8 teams get in and it’s based on record only, not division winners There’s always a team or two on the outside that has the same or even a better record than a playoff team. No team should get in at 9-8 if there’s a 10-7 team. 

-No bye’s. This just creates an injury and rest advantage and it’s not fair. 

-seeding and home field based on record, not winning a division. 11-6 team has to go on the road to play a 9-8 team? Lame. 

1 hour ago, Nklaiste1 said:

It's all about the money for the NFL in having an additional game for each conference. 

1 hour ago, Nklaiste1 said:

I hate the 7 team format prefer a 4 team and each team gets a week off

More games = More money

It's that simple. I think there is a better chance they go to more Playoff teams with multiple byes than back to 6 with 2 byes. They will look to squeeze every penny out of the season that they can. Adding more Playoff teams increases interest in more cities and in turn generates more money. 

Not saying I want anything like that, but any way the NFL can add more revenue, you can bet it's being discussed. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

If you survive a 17 game schedule with the best record in the conference don't you deserve an unfair advantage? 

They get that, but it's too uneven.  Was better with 2 seeds getting rewarded

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

I was against the 7 team playoffs when they introduced it. I'm actually in favour of it now. While I agree it has generally meant the wildcard games have been a bit more predictable I like the idea that winning your conference means something, the same way winning your division does, and it has definitely reduced the number of pointless games the final couple of weeks of the regular season. 

If you gave me free reign both on 17 games and 7 team playoffs I'd reverse the former but retain the latter. 

12 hours ago, ngbills said:

I agree. The old 6 format or go to 8 (no byes or byes for top 4 (div winners all get byes). Do not like the 1 team getting a bye. Its a long season the difference between the 1 seed in many cases is just luck in what teams you played, etc. 

if div winners get byes you are suggesting 12 teams get in the playoffs.  5-12, 6-11, 7-10, 8-9 play in first round.

you could do a 

5-8 and 6-7

winners play 3 and 4

winners play 1 and 2

if you go to 4 divisions…top 3 get byes, 4 v 5 cross over div play then you have quarter finals. In current div format this is 4 div winners and top 2 WCs get byes then 7-10, 8-9 are the wild cards.

top 3 in conf gets byes then  4-13 do a wildcard leading to quarterfinals

I like 7 teams getting in, but I don't like only the 1 seed gets a bye which I feel is too strong an advantage for a single team, especially if the 2 and 1 are on path to play in the AFCCG in terms of how the bracket flows.  When you consider many times the 1 and 2 seedings are separated by tie breakers, it is kind of a crazy advantage for one team who won the same amount of games to have.  

So to be honest I am torn...and I do think a bye should happen for the top seed or seeds, so I don't like 8 teams where no one gets a bye.  So its either 6 or 7...so I would probably lean going back to 6 even though I do think 7 teams is more fun.  

• Agree 1

I hate the Monday Night Games. Playoffs on a Monday seem abnormal. 

I preferred the 6 seeds in each conference. The 7 seed is usually mediocre and gets beat pretty bad. It's watered down.

Lastly, the season feels top long. 23 weeks between the start of the season and SB? If they add more games, the SB will eventually be in March. 

Too long. 

• Agree 1

6 teams better and I think byes for top two were fair. Home field advantage and the bye does favor the top seed greatly. 

When the league went to 4 divisions per conference it did make securing a wild card more challenging and was part of the reason it took us so long to get into post season. Funny how we never have clinched with wild card since they changed format.

3 division winners and 3 wild cards made sense in the 90s. 

I think what we have now is as good as it can be with division and conference structure

The best you could hope for is that they go to 8 teams per conference for the playoffs with a bye for the 1 and 2 seed.

It feels too easy a path for me being a 1 seed that plays one game to be in the title game , while the opponent goes through a gauntlet. Give the two the same thing so that if it lines up the top two from the regular season advance to face each other in the title game, it's more even. 

The one seed enjoys too much of an advantage IMO

The old format with 6 teams was better.  Teams like the 2023 Steelers shouldn't be in the playoffs, and the regular season is more enjoyable when the stakes of each game are higher.  

Obviously the NFL would add an 8th team before it switched back to the old format, and I would also prefer that over the current awkward system.

14 hours ago, ngbills said:

like the idea of top 4 getting a bye

Having an odd number of regular season games (17) and an odd number of playoff teams per conference is just strange (even putting aside all the other good reasons to have e.g. 16 games per season and 6 playoff teams with 2 getting byes).  What other major sports league plays an odd number of games?!  I guess the other three main leagues play so many more games, and so it's much easier to have an even number.  But still, I find 17 games per season just really strange.  It had always been an even number!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.