Johnson clears protocol, Bernard not expected to play

Process

3 minutes ago, london_bills said:

I think we'd most all agree we need KC to have a slight off day given so many injuries 

Nah- We just need our offense ram the ball down their throats and for Josh to take the next step in becoming the best player in the league

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Nah- We just need our offense ram the ball down their throats and for Josh to take the next step in becoming the best player in the league

Completely agree. KC can have a typical 2023/2024 game as long as B+ or better josh shows up. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Mango said:

That’s remarkable. From a pure fandom perspective I’m glad he is a go. 

From a human perspective, this is this guys 5th concussion of his career and he can play in 6 days? Nobody in the NFL gives a shirt about player health or safety, and the independent neuro’s must be on  the take.

Well...Johnson seemed to think he never actually had a concussion so I think at times the league is erring on the side of caution with players.

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

KC should not score more than 21 points today regardless. I think Bills can do better than that.

17 minutes ago, die hard bills fan said:

Not ideal but it is what it is. No complaining just get it done.

Agree

The Chiefs' situation isn't ideal either.  An aging vet TE and a rookie WRs are their only consistently reliable weapons on offense in terms of receiving.  Imagine if that's all we had, the amount of kleenex that would be needed.  All we're missing on offense and remarkably, many seem to think that it's addition by subtraction.  

As to Davis, for a WR that's put up three times more receiving TDs than the rest of the WR field combined over the past two seasons' playoffs, about 2/3 of the total yards of all other WRs, including Diggs, and with a 70% or so catch% in the playoffs, we'll see how it plays out, but Sherfield ain't gonna fill in.  

Mahomes has passed for more than 306 yards only once this season, and that against one of the league's worst pass Ds.  We have one of the best.  

Mahomes has also had only two games with more than 2 passing TDs this season.  Again, both against siht Ds, one of which is the same as the aforementioned.  

So yeah, no complaining, no excuses.  It's also difficult to imagine that this won't be the most hyped up crowd at OBD ever.  The fans in attendance will be doing their part in spades.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, BRH said:

Who is this “source” and is it even news that TB43 “is not expected to play”?

I don't think anyone is surprised that Bernard is more than likely not playing today.

We are all thankful that his injury wasn't season ending.

• Agree 4

44 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Agree with CincyBIllsFan. The Bills under McBeane have demonstrated repeatedly their patience and wisdom in bringing players back slowly from injury.

I believe there are teams who would be dressing Terrell Bernard today but not the Bills.

Exactly correct. They don't want to see Tyler Matakevich playing LB in this game. Whether as a starter or a backup, Klein was gonna get the callup.

The bills being called wise when bringing back players with repeat concussions? Maybe with other injuries. 

And maybe compared to other teams, the Bills are the most patient. But thats just saying they are slightly less evil than their counterparts. And wise? GTFOH.

At least see what the league AND THIS TEAM is with clear eyes. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Last I checked we still have a mostly healthy D Line.  They will have to go nuts today.  Bills O should try to control the clock, as i’m sure KC will try to do as well.

Dolphins did fairly well keeping them out of the end zone and kicking field goals.  Their offense isn’t anything to be scared about 

6 minutes ago, Nineforty said:

The bills being called wise when bringing back players with repeat concussions? Maybe with other injuries. 

And maybe compared to other teams, the Bills are the most patient. But thats just saying they are slightly less evil than their counterparts. And wise? GTFOH.

At least see what the league AND THIS TEAM is with clear eyes. 

Wise and patient relative to most other NFL teams, absolutely I stand by that.

I'm glad to hear that you believe you have "clear eyes."

1 hour ago, Process said:

Not having Bernard hurts, damn. 

If Bernard is even in the conversation to play today I take that as a major win after being carted off. Hopefully this makes him trend to be on the field against Baltimore should we advance.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Didn’t Taron say he felt fine to go back in last week? In general, the NFL just cares about money but in this case I don’t think they were reckless. I pray that proves to be the case.  

He did. I think sometimes we get caught up in the number of concussions without remembering that all concussions are not equal in severity, and everyone doesn’t react the same way to a concussion. It’s entirely possible that Taron’s symptoms were very mild and this was done out of an abundance of caution. 

Anyway, it’s great that he is feeling good and will be out there. 

• Like (+1) 1

This OP report from C. Wolfe is such drivel. "If" and "trending"... Says nothing. Rasul is a game-time decision and TJ has NOT cleared. It's on NFL net right now they are saying Bills are still without TJ, Rasul and bernard and Benford for tonight.

Turn on the TV if you like....

Just now, Dillenger4 said:

This OP report from C. Wolfe is such drivel. "If" and "trending"... Says nothing. Rasul is a game-time decision and TJ has NOT cleared. It's on NFL net right now they are saying Bills are still without TJ, Rasul and bernard and Benford for tonight.

I'll take Schefters word over this Wolfe drivel.

• Disagree 3

Glad that Taron's playing.   But worried both for the game and his long term health that he might get concussed early in the game.   Looked like a relatively minor hit that knocked him silly against the Steelers.   

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

Isn't wolfe also from NFL network? I partially agree in that the only concrete thing reported is that Johnson cleared protocol. Unless he's making it up, that means something.

I've decided I'm holding out blind hope for Bernard.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Dodson

Williams

Klein

Matakevich

That is likely to be the extent of our LB depth today. It's certainly not ideal. The Bills pretty much always have 5 LBs active on gameday, but they are left with no choice if Bernard can't play.

I would guess they'll go Dodson at MLB and Williams at WLB. If Williams is completely lost they'll pull him for Klein, or in a real emergency they'll bring Poyer down into that spot and start Cam Lewis at safety.

I like the idea of Williams starting over Klein. He is bigger, faster, and stronger. His athleticism and thumping ability are very good things when guarding Kelce and the many people the Chiefs run across the middle on crossing routes. Hit them early and often, Mr. Williams. Hit'en again.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

From a human perspective, this is this guys 5th concussion of his career and he can play in 6 days? Nobody in the NFL gives a shirt about player health or safety, and the independent neuro’s must be on  the take.

A lot of it depends on severity/how well the recovery went for each one which there’s no way for us to really know.  A player can get one really bad concussion that should end their season/career while another player can have a handful of mild ones and be in a better spot 

You can be in the protocol without actually having a concussion too because there’s no fool proof test to determine you actually have one. 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Losing Bernard, Benford, Spector and Rapp off this Defense hurts .. but we have to give credit to Beane, because this Defense still has:

Floyd - Jones - Oliver - Rousseau

Von - Settle - Joseph or Poona - AJE

Lawson

Dodson - Klein - Williams

Douglas - Johnson - Jackson/Elam

Hyde - Poyer - Lewis

Most teams would love to have that level of talent on Defense. 

More than enough for McDermott to show us why he took over the Defense and is the guy to take us to the next level.  

Advance, stay healthy, and a few .. if not all.. of those guys will be back next weekend. 

exactly this.  We have been overloading on D in drafts for years.  We have the depth.  No excuses.  Lets gooooooooooooo! 

6 minutes ago, Reks Ryan said:

Glad that Taron's playing.   But worried both for the game and his long term health that he might get concussed early in the game.   Looked like a relatively minor hit that knocked him silly against the Steelers.   

If he is choosing to play, and he’s been cleared, I find zero reason to have this sentiment. Players very well know the risks and complications they face from playing this game. It isn’t 1990. And they’re heavily compensated for it. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Chicharito said:

Let’s 🙏🏼 our LB’s can stay healthy today. Nobody wants to see matakevich today.

I do.  I am hoping for a few interceptions making game out of reach for them in 4th quarter so Bills bring in reserves to play giving others less snaps.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Isn't wolfe also from NFL network? I partially agree in that the only concrete thing reported is that Johnson cleared protocol. Unless he's making it up, that means something.

I've decided I'm holding out blind hope for Bernard.

Yeah, me too. I'm just saying the network is saying one thing - or at least making it sound more dire than Wolfe is. I sure hope they both play! But having Douglas as a "game-time test" or wait - n - see is not a good thing IMO. GO BILLS!!!

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Everyone is speculating at this point… sounds like Johnson is playing. Douglas said he’s playing so I’d be shocked if he doesn’t and maybe Bernard plays limited snaps. 

I hear ya - but of course Douglas can  say all he wants. He wants to play, but will he pass the med exam/test pre-game is the real question. TJ.. all speculation out there right now which isn't good.

17 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

Not you again

• Like (+1) 1

There has to come a point when you just have too many injuries to compete at this late level. Have we reached that point? Feels like it. 

But if we can scrape through this, and Bernard could be fit for the next round ... which looks like a monster task .. then feck it. Who knows.

After that, I'd fear nothing. 

But it's suchhhh a big ask. 

End of the day, it’s time for Josh to put this team on his back and cover up whatever the D can’t.  Mahomes got the SB win with a garbage D, it’s time for Allen to do it.   We all know he can and in all honesty, probably should already have one SB appearance had Leslie Frazier been fired when he should have been.  So now is the time for JA17 to make it happen.

1 minute ago, Bill Grundy said:

There has to come a point when you just have too many injuries to compete at this late level. Have we reached that point? Feels like it. 

But if we can scrape through this, and Bernard could be fit for the next round ... which looks like a monster task .. then feck it. Who knows.

After that, I'd fear nothing. 

But it's suchhhh a big ask. 

Josh Allen

Diggs

Best OL in years

Dynamic RB in Space

1st round rookie record breaking TE 

They are still solid on offense. Just don’t punt!

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Josh Allen

Diggs

Best OL in years

Dynamic RB in Space

1st round rookie record breaking TE 

They are still solid on offense. Just don’t punt!

I  just feel that the middle of the field on D is so important against this shower. 

thank god for no tyreek. 

but THANKS - i like that others are confident. It's helping! and you're right on all points, of course. 

1 hour ago, Mango said:

it’s tough.

they have baseline tests and if he’s not displaying symptoms, not reporting symptoms and his testing has returned to normal…. 

we can act tough about concussions but truth is all of us turn blind eyes to the fact that every non kicker in the nfl has a numerous unreported/undiagnosed concussions because that’s the game they play and we fund. 

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

Yeah, me too. I'm just saying the network is saying one thing - or at least making it sound more dire than Wolfe is. I sure hope they both play! But having Douglas as a "game-time test" or wait - n - see is not a good thing IMO. GO BILLS!!!

I hear ya - but of course Douglas can  say all he wants. He wants to play, but will he pass the med exam/test pre-game is the real question. TJ.. all speculation out there right now which isn't good.

Stop it. 

It’s beyond tiresome.

Look at the Bills roster moves.  Then take what you will from that. 

Sam Martin is Questionable.  We cut Matt Haack.  You worried he won’t play tonight too?

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I think more than anything (1) the teams and league built a plan to prevent lawsuits later and (2) players want to play so bad they learn the rules and requirements and game the system. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

you are aware that a good bit of his pregame med test if he’s been a full participant already will be: “now that it’s game time, are you feeling good, rasul?”

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.