Fake Slide should be 15 yard penalty

Zerovoltz

You probably accomplished your end with 16 pages of replies, but previously you've tried to project a level-headed understanding of the game @Zerovoltz. For this play to be the hill you die on is crazy. Like indefensibly crazy. I'm going to chalk it up to beers and boredom.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

You probably accomplished your end with 16 pages of replies, but previously you've tried to project a level-headed understanding of the game @Zerovoltz. For this play to be the hill you die on is crazy. Like indefensibly crazy. I'm going to chalk it up to beers and boredom.

I really don’t think he meant to troll after hearing all the Steelers fans complaining about the refs and giving this kind of stuff traction lol 

it’s def trending but because Steelers fans are pathetic and some people must be believing their bs.  Absolute fake controversy 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

You do realize this SAME account thinks Allen faked the slide right?

There’s plenty of people who think the world is flat. 
Heck, there’s even a Flat Earth Society. 
that doesn’t mean the earth is flat. 

Any observer who has studied Allen’s running style know that he isn’t the smoothest runner around. His jukes, while effective, may seem awkward. 

Look at his run closely. From ground level would be best. Players who are going to slide begin shifting their weight backward, and kicking their legs forwards. There’s a good example of a fake slide from Mahomes in this thread where he does exactly that. 

Note that Allen never shifts his weight backwards.  

im thinking the number of volts matches the IQ…

4 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

So no comment on the fake slide?

Only thing fake is your perception!  Maybe most sour grapes post in history. Why tho;  doesn’t appear you are a Steelers fan looking at your icon / colors?  Didn’t you watch te broadcast , as they reviewed and specifically pointed out Allen’s great juke , and then he slid and WAS DOWN and steeler chose to then dive at him. This must be troll stuff as these call weren’t even close. 

I see you didn’t mention the bs call that robbed us from the fumble recovery , which was never close to OOB. Hmm, very selective about your referee outrages. Leads me to add your honesty along with perception and rules knowledge as the real fake issues here. Hey , I’m originally from Steubenville , Ohio , 1/2 hour from Pittsburgh , and my mom was up there in st clairsville cheering for her Steelers tonight at age 97, so i feel for Yinz!  Injuries really suck and we both got decimated. Better luck next year, maybe don’t treat preseason so seriously in 2024!  

3 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Show me one where I said it was OK to do it.

I can show you some posts from Bills fans complaining about DAK doing a fake slide in that game.  

When Allen fake slides we can have this debate on whether or not it was a garbage play by him. To date he hasn't fake slid so no point in having that conversation now. Maybe other QB's like Mahomes and Dak have. I'm honestly not keeping receipts on other QB's fake sliding. 

5 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

The nearest defender was 7 yards away.....

I'm glad you posted this clip, because I thought I was going crazy. I couldn't remember any "fake slide," but was wondering if I just overlooked it in the moment.

Nope! That's nowhere close to a fake slide, and putting it side to side with a real slide makes that so much more obvious.

5 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I'm glad you posted this clip, because I thought I was going crazy. I couldn't remember any "fake slide," but was wondering if I just overlooked it in the moment.

Nope! That's nowhere close to a fake slide, and putting it side to side with a real slide makes that so much more obvious.

Hopefully there’s a “from behind” view of that play.

4 minutes ago, Governor said:

Hopefully there’s a “from behind” view of that play.

The view from field level coming at you suffices just fine. Josh did a little stutter step. Not even close to a fake slide. It’s just an incredibly stupid complaint.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The view from field level coming at you suffices just fine. Josh did a little stutter step. Not even close to a fake slide. It’s just an incredibly stupid complaint.

I would like to see how far he moves to the left at that moment when he changes direction.

Edited by Governor

6 minutes ago, Governor said:

I would like to see how far he moves to the left at that moment when he changes direction.

Someone posted this a few pages up thread. Pretty decent field level look at it. Not even close to a fake sliding mostion.

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Someone posted this a few pages up thread. Pretty decent field level look at it. Not even close to a fake sliding mostion.

So it basically looks like Minkah freezes because of Josh’s change of direction (possible right or left) not a slide.

Edited by Governor
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Allen with the blatant fake slide on the long run, then later draws a 15 yard penalty on a late hit on slide where the defender didn't hit his head.....but can you blame him for going for the tackle based on the fake earlier?  

The slide is a play intended to protect the QB, not to do what Allen did.  That was garbage.

Anyone else read this in Mahomes’ voice?

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

That isn't a juke...he's slowing as if to slide...7 yards from nearest defender...then starts running again...how is this a juke?  Who is he juking...the guy 7 yards away?

You obviously don't watch much Bills football and Josh Allen. See if you can find a highlight reel of Josh's runs, you will see that was a run all the way (on the TD), Josh didn't think about sliding or fake sliding there, he was thinking more yards. Everyone who watches Josh on a regular basis knew that he was just trying to avoid the defender (juke him) by slowing down. Josh's jukes don't look like a running back's jukes (quick turn on a dime or quick shimmy), they are more changing angle with a shoulder shake, or stopping and starting, or attacking the defender.

And the later slide was an obvious slide and not late. We could debate on whether the refs should have thrown the flag (was the hit late/was it too bang-bang to throw the flag), but that's not on Josh. And of course the player who gets hit is always going to feel that it was late (that's human nature)---ergo Josh calling for the flag to be thrown.

As others have said, it is funny for a Chiefs fan to be coming to a Bills board to complain about something that his own QB does all of the time. So, it's ok for Mahomes to do that stuff whenever, but Josh (when he doesn't even do anything wrong) is some sort of crybaby or favored by the league or some garbage?

I really can't understand people's continuous need to try and tear Josh down. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Allen with the blatant fake slide on the long run, then later draws a 15 yard penalty on a late hit on slide where the defender didn't hit his head.....but can you blame him for going for the tackle based on the fake earlier?  

The slide is a play intended to protect the QB, not to do what Allen did.  That was garbage.

Oh wait... everyone is making a big deal about him pausing on that TD run???

Geebuz.... next you're gonna tell me he can't pump fake a pass and then pull it down to run because it's just not fair... waaah waaah waaah!!!!

For the record, that defender had plenty of space and opportunity to make the play once he realized Allen wasn't sliding. And also, those complaining about the actual penalty on his slide are ridiculous because that was so obviously a penalty.

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Oh wait... everyone is making a big deal about him pausing on that TD run???

Geebuz.... next you're gonna tell me he can't pump fake a pass and then pull it down to run because it's just not fair... waaah waaah waaah!!!!

For the record, that defender had plenty of space and opportunity to make the play once he realized Allen wasn't sliding. And also, those complaining about the actual penalty on his slide are ridiculous because that was so obviously a penalty.

A pump fake, juke, fake pitch...etc are all plays that by rule DO NOT require the defender to give up on the play.  A slide is specificially intended to protect the QB because by rule, once he slides he has given up, and by rule the defender must also.  It's not the same thing.  

The defender was quoted after the game saying he wasn't sure if Josh was about to slide or not....causing him to pause...and not that Josh would know or care, but said player had already been fined and suspended for a late hits already this year.  The defender to Josh's front right also pretty much gives up on the play (which is his fault, didn't play to whistle) so probably also thought Josh was about to slide.  Doesn't look like a guy fighting to stay in the play and make a tackle at all.  

• Vomit 2

7 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

He is a big guy who changed direction. There was no fake slide. Josh hates sliding. And this comment only makes him want to run harder.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

A pump fake, juke, fake pitch...etc are all plays that by rule DO NOT require the defender to give up on the play.  A slide is specificially intended to protect the QB because by rule, once he slides he has given up, and by rule the defender must also.  It's not the same thing.  

The defender was quoted after the game saying he wasn't sure if Josh was about to slide or not....causing him to pause...and not that Josh would know or care, but said player had already been fined and suspended for a late hits already this year.  The defender to Josh's front right also pretty much gives up on the play (which is his fault, didn't play to whistle) so probably also thought Josh was about to slide.  Doesn't look like a guy fighting to stay in the play and make a tackle at all.  

Yes, that’s it; Josh did a Jedi mind trick and made the defenders think he was gonna slide. More like those defenders didn’t wanna get trucked by a freight train with a full head of steam coming at them on a bitter cold evening. GTFOH with this crap already. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, chongli said:

I honestly have no idea why he would even think about sliding there. He’s running full speed, already 20 yards down the field, and has 2 blockers in front of him with another blocker to his left. 

Who the hell would slide there? Definitely not Josh.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

The defender was quoted after the game saying he wasn't sure if Josh was about to slide or not....causing him to pause...  The defender to Josh's front right also pretty much gives up on the play (which is his fault, didn't play to whistle) so probably also thought Josh was about to slide.  Doesn't look like a guy fighting to stay in the play and make a tackle at all.  

So two defenders gave up on a play becuase one thought Josh might be about to slide (note he didn't say he thought Josh was sliding but that he might) and the other might - in your mind since there is no evidence of that - have thought the same.

Thank you for clearly identifying the problem ... and it wasn't with Josh!

• Thank you (+1) 1

What do you mean it wasn't a juke...he juked the ***** out of those guys. It was an ankle breaking fake out, the old stop cut and go. He's standing upright throughout the move..

GTFOH with that *****

• Like (+1) 1

Amazing play.

Was awesome watching from the stadium.  You could see a convergence of Steelers defenders, and the boom!  Off to the endzone!

Oh, and not it wasn’t a fake slide. Juked, defenders didn’t follow up and TD.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Yes, that’s it; Josh did a Jedi mind trick and made the defenders think he was gonna slide. More like those defenders didn’t wanna get trucked by a freight train with a full head of steam coming at them on a bitter cold evening. GTFOH with this crap already. 

This made me laugh. But that IS sort of the point of a fake. It wasn't a fake, not close. But justsayin.

both plays were ruled correctly

there was a tiny bit of "intended" deception by josh on the 52 yard run....but the nearest defender was 5 yards away.....shame on them.

there was clearly a late hit on other play. josh was well into giving himself up. the pit defender needs to play smarter.

• Agree 1

There was no fake slide by Allen, but there is a point, the defender is often in a lose-lose situation when attempting to takle a QB.

When Josh slowed, for sure the defenders processed "ok, he MAY slide", in that case, I could not takle him.

This decision could lead to a split-second indecision and Josh is gone.

I would call a late-hit on the QB only if it is blatant.

In my opinion the one called on Prescott on 3&2 must be a no-call, the one on Josh is borderline.

Edited by PaoloBillsFanFromItaly
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Voltz, what are you nervous about what the Bills are going to do to you this weekend.