Game Postponed! - To be played Monday at 4:30pm

phypon

Understanding that we would lose home field advantage which can be significant, I would be fine if the game was moved to a domed stadium at a neutral site because it would strongly favor our offense over their defense, particularly with Watt out, and possibly reduce the effectiveness of their rushing attack compared to a cold weather game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jahnyc said:

Understanding that we would lose home field advantage which can be significant, I would be fine if the game was moved to a domed stadium at a neutral site because it would strongly favor our offense over their defense, particularly with Watt out, and possibly reduce the effectiveness of their rushing attack compared to a cold weather game.

Well, among the accolades for Allen when we drafted him was his familiarity with windy cold weather games.  

It's showtime, let's get it on tomorrow!!  

If we can't win then we can discuss that afterwards.  

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, jahnyc said:

I agree.  Atlanta would have been flooded by Bills fans and likely had a strong home field advantage.  I think I would have made the trip down there from Cincinnati.

It all comes down to tomorrow.  If they can get the game in with just typical Buffalo January weather - 10 to 20 mph wind, temps in the upper teens and some flurries then the Governor made the right call.  But if they can't play tomorrow and the game is pushed to Tuesday then they should have went with the dome option IMO.

Yea I get that hindsight is 20/20 but that's why they pay these people the big bucks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I feel like the weather pattern has definitely shifted the past few winters to push lake snow events further north.

We bought a house down here in supposed "snow country" 3 years ago and I swear it's barely snowed here since. Always to the north.

Right now it's sunny cold and windy here with maybe 3 inches of snow.

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

I went to Amherst and it was the same way.  Every damn school was closed except Amherst lol.  Now they close all the time.

Yeah I am so jealous of my kids...they had more snow days in pre-school then I did thru my entire schooling career from K-senior in HS.

We got one day off over all that time and it was because the parking lots were still jammed with snow after a blizzard ended Sunday and there was nowhere to park for Monday.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I hate that the idea of Buffalo becoming a pain in the ass to the league. Recent years events, and now this one potentially, leads one to wonder if some in the league office need this kind of fuel.

The league pushing the season later and later into February plus us having a great team makes this stuff more likely. Wait til they add another game and bye week. Super Bowl will be in March.

The drought era teams never had these issues. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

The league pushing the season later and later into February plus us having a great team makes this stuff more likely. Wait til they add another game and bye week. Super Bowl will be in March.

The drought era teams never had these issues. 

That cloud you're yelling at, how's it holding up?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

15 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I agree.  Atlanta would have been flooded by Bills fans and likely had a strong home field advantage.  I think I would have made the trip down there from Cincinnati.

It all comes down to tomorrow.  If they can get the game in with just typical Buffalo January weather - 10 to 20 mph wind, temps in the upper teens and some flurries then the Governor made the right call.  But if they can't play tomorrow and the game is pushed to Tuesday then they should have went with the dome option IMO.

Yea I get that hindsight is 20/20 but that's why they pay these people the big bucks.

I would have jumped on a plane to Atlanta for the game. One of the less expensive flights due to the sheer volume of planes going in and out of the country’s largest airport.

1 minute ago, Thrivefourfive said:

If playing games in Buffalo when there’s weather is a battle between the Commissioner and the Governor, I don’t even know what to say. It’s so so bizarre. 

I’d rather they play with no fans in the stands than a neutral site. 

The Buffalo Bills organization had a big say in this too.  Let's not forget that.  If the Bills wanted to go to a neutral site, they could have agreed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I would have jumped on a plane to Atlanta for the game. One of the less expensive flights due to the sheer volume of planes going in and out of the country’s largest airport.

I’d have been at the game if it were in Atlanta. Of course, I can see the stadium when I drive to the grocery store. 😋

As for the airport, it’s actually the busiest in the world. I happen to hate it because security can be overwhelmed, but it does make it easier to get places. We live where we do for my wife’s proximity to that airport. 

Here are the top 10 busiest airports in the world for 2023, according to OAG.

Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.

Dubai International Airport. ... 

Tokyo Haneda Airport. ... 

London Heathrow Airport. ... 

Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport. ... 

Denver International Airport. ... 

Istanbul Airport. ... 

Los Angeles International Airport. ...

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The Buffalo Bills organization had a big say in this too.  Let's not forget that.  If the Bills wanted to go to a neutral site, they could have agreed.

The Steelers must be on equal footing with the Bills in the decision making, correct? This is a very curious topic for me, I’d love to learn more about it. I’m always thinking the worst when politicians get involved. Goodell is a politician, among other things. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I’d have been at the game if it were in Atlanta. Of course, I can see the stadium when I drive to the grocery store. 😋

As for the airport, it’s actually the busiest in the world. I happen to hate it because security can be overwhelmed, but it does make it easier to get places. We live where we do for my wife’s proximity to that airport. 

Here are the top 10 busiest airports in the world for 2023, according to OAG.

Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.

Dubai International Airport. ... 

Tokyo Haneda Airport. ... 

London Heathrow Airport. ... 

Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport. ... 

Denver International Airport. ... 

Istanbul Airport. ... 

Los Angeles International Airport. ...

It really is incredible how small of a footprint LAX has compared to these gigantic airports. 

At Atlanta.. once heard our captain say we were 25th in line to takeoff. That was interesting. 

3 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

The Steelers must be on equal footing with the Bills in the decision making, correct? This is a very curious topic for me, I’d love to learn more about it. I’m always thinking the worst when politicians get involved. Goodell is a politician, among other things. 

I don’t think so, as the Steelers are the low seed and not hosting. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Chiefs fans are all riled up that the league will bend over backwards to accommodate their beloved Josh Allen and the Bills (paraphrasing)

It's funny to see other fans perspective. Everyone thinks their team gets picked on. 

Did they already forget how the NFL moved one of their playoff games to later in the day back in 2017 because of an ice storm in KC?

And are they upset about how they'll get two extra days of prep for next week if the Bills win?

Edited by Rubes
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I hate that the idea of Buffalo becoming a pain in the ass to the league. Recent years events, and now this one potentially, leads one to wonder if some in the league office need this kind of fuel.

I look at it the other way… the league needs to be smart when they schedule games.  I know you can never 100% predict the weather.   But they don’t consider weather at all, it seems.    

KC shoulda been the early game yesterday.   And Houston, playing in a dome, the night game.   There’s a world of difference between freezing temps at 2pm vs 8pm.  And it’s even more dramatic when you consider 10ish pm when the game ends and then fans have to drive home.  But we all know why KC was the primetime game.  

Even more so… had they considered the long range forecast last week when making the schedule, I would bet Saturday looked like less snow for Buffalo than Sunday.  Had the game been played yesterday rather than today… it goes off with no real concern.  

Maybe eventually they’ll wise up and consider more than just TV ratings in their scheduling, but I doubt it. The networks pay too much.   So I don’t see this as a Buffalo problem but a league problem for not considering the very real impact that weather has on a game and fan attendance. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

I don’t think so, as the Steelers are the low seed and not hosting. 

It’s postponed because of safety traveling. Can they say, Nope, not traveling to Buffalo until it’s safe? Or, if the NY governor lifts the emergency, is it a non issue? So the Steelers in Hochul’s ear..? 

I think the PA and NY governors should make a fun little public wager on this one.

5 minutes ago, Success said:

Has there been any serious talk of moving to Tuesday?

For the locals - what's the feeling there right now? Is there some confidence they can have a lot of the routes cleared by tomorrow afternoon?

Id almost guarantee this is not on the table. Highly doubt they would want to further the disruption to the division round schedule and beyond, unless they absolutely had to. Given the circumstances, it was good the game was moved, but does not appear necessary to do it again. They’ll play tmrw IMO no doubt

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Dan said:

I look at it the other way… the league needs to be smart when they schedule games.  I know you can never 100% predict the weather.   But they don’t consider weather at all, it seems.    

KC shoulda been the early game yesterday.   And Houston, playing in a dome, the night game.   There’s a world of difference between freezing temps at 2pm vs 8pm.  And it’s even more dramatic when you consider 10ish pm when the game ends and then fans have to drive home.  But we all know why KC was the primetime game.  

Even more so… had they considered the long range forecast last week when making the schedule, I would bet Saturday looked like less snow for Buffalo than Sunday.  Had the game been played yesterday rather than today… it goes off with no real concern.  

Maybe eventually they’ll wise up and consider more than just TV ratings in their scheduling, but I doubt it. The networks pay too much.   So I don’t see this as a Buffalo problem but a league problem for not considering the very real impact that weather has on a game and fan attendance. 

I thought the same. There was talk of weather in Buffalo a week ago. Schedule the Bills game for MNF when it was supposed to be over with. Problem averted.

One of the league's biggest stars played a down with a cracked helmet because of the cold.

That he didn't take a big shot with a cracked helmet was pure luck. Thank God it didn't happen. 

10 minutes ago, Success said:

Has there been any serious talk of moving to Tuesday?

For the locals - what's the feeling there right now? Is there some confidence they can have a lot of the routes cleared by tomorrow afternoon?

I suspect Tuesday is in play for travel (Steelers) and field hardness reasons. 

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

To me, this all proves the point that the League never wants to suspend games. Ever. That’s why I’m irked when I hear that the League postponed this game. They didn’t. They don’t care one iota about extenuating circumstances. It was the governor’s safety emergency that postponed this game. The NFL just did what they had to do with the Monday reschedule in reaction to the Governor's call. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Chiefs fans are all riled up that the league will bend over backwards to accommodate their beloved Josh Allen and the Bills (paraphrasing)

It's funny to see other fans perspective. Everyone thinks their team gets picked on. 

Why are they so salty? 

Getting people to a stadium in a blizzard is a lot different than getting to a stadium in cold (no snow) weather. 

38 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I feel like the weather pattern has definitely shifted the past few winters to push lake snow events further north.

We bought a house down here in supposed "snow country" 3 years ago and I swear it's barely snowed here since. Always to the north.

Right now it's sunny cold and windy here with maybe 3 inches of snow.

It’s different now for sure.  The bad storms hit Hamburg/OP/west Seneca/SB/lancaster.  We would never have issues like this one if it was colder like it was, say,  20 years ago.  Lake snow used to be done by early January. 

Just now, njbuff said:

Why are they so salty? 

Getting people to a stadium in a blizzard is a lot different than getting to a stadium in cold (no snow) weather. 

Bc they want the bills to lose . Bc they are a legitimate challenge to their chiefs. They know Steelers have a better chance if the game is a squall

17 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

I doubt that very much.  They could have had a voice in the "neutral site" discussion but it's a Buffalo Bills home game.

I personally don't put as much "politics" into this decision as others do.  I feel it was a weather event the Bills couldn't control and they

desperately want to play the game in Orchard Park in front of the Buffalo area fans.  This isn't some regular season game and there

are a lot of season ticket holders who couldn't attend this game any other way than in Orchard Park.  THEY IMO count too.

My hope is the game is played tomorrow in OP and the Bills win.  They stay home and host the Chiefs (in their house) next Sunday.

I think that (at the time) was the plan vs neutral sites or worrying that the Divisional opponent gets some extra rest time.

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Thrivefourfive said:

To me, this all proves the point that the League never wants to suspend games. Ever. That’s why I’m irked when I hear that the League postponed this game. They didn’t. They don’t care one iota about extenuating circumstances. It was the governor’s safety emergency that postponed this game. The NFL just did what they had to do with the Monday reschedule in reaction to the Governor's call. 

The league is wrong.  They don’t live here, so they don’t get it.  This is a frozen hurricane.  The NFL wouldn’t play in a hurricane, so it shouldn’t play in this. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

If this game gets moved to ATL, I’m confident the Bills win by 3 scores. 

Remember how well Josh played with no fans during COVID? Add a dome to that and Josh will have a field day. 

Edited by stevestojan
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Why are they so salty? 

You know how fans of winning dynasties get, they always develop an unhealthy entitlement mentality.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.