Steelers @ Bills. Monday, January 15th at 4:30pm.

Einstein

6 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

I can’t understand why it wouldn’t just be moved to Monday as double-header, same location. Oh wait! greed at NFL HQ

I agree, and I bet the ratings would still be just as high. Most people would be home from work to watch or go. 

4 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I agree, and I bet the ratings would still be just as high. Most people would be home from work to watch or go. 

They have market research on this. 1pm Sunday will crush any non major holiday mon during day time. Not everyone is off MLK. It’s all about tv ratings / advertising dollars 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, balln said:

They have market research on this. 1pm Sunday will crush any non major holiday mon during day time. Not everyone is off MLK. It’s all about tv ratings / advertising dollars 

Market research says the Bills draw more viewership than any other team in the NFL right now. They're must-see TV. TV networks and advertisers will be fine. 

4 minutes ago, balln said:

Maybe true, but if the weather is That bad, you can't risk people's lives, it's just nuts to me, but it is the nfl

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, billsfanmd07 said:

If we lost this game because of wind/snow it will be just another historic Bills curse on big games. But I keep telling myself they have to play in it too. If Rudolph pulls this out we dont belong. On the positive side a friend in Colorado saw Josh play a few times in Wyoming. Wind snow games and Josh was the best player on the filed and won games with his legs.

You got to wonder how either team gains more than a few yards, given that in these conditions you stack 11 players in the box. I guess you're hoping for two four-yard gains and one three-yarder?

Seems like the points will come from wayward punts. If you're kicking into a 50 mph gust, it will blow somewhere other than you intend, a recipe for turnovers and turnarounds. Both teams might be going on fourth down a lot when they're going into the wind. 

I wish I didn't care, because it sounds wicked entertaining. 

Just now, Steptide said:

Maybe true, but if the weather is That bad, you can't risk people's lives, it's just nuts to me, but it is the nfl

Do you think the nfl cares or is responsible for fan attendance? Doesnt mean anything to them. I believe attendance / game day revenue is actually a loss for a playoff game

its on each individual person to make their own decision on whether to attend an outdoor sporting event during a storm……

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Checked the board and most flights into BUF today are already cancelled.  Except a few Delta and an American. But those will probably be cancelled later. No airline wants their planes stuck here. It will be tough to land for sure.

I know statistically it is way safer to fly than drive in this *****, but it would take a lot to get me on that plane.  Or at least an edible. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

In terms of strategy - assuming the game happens as scheduled, I don’t know if field goals are an option.  Might have to play four down football once you cross the 50.

Or play the field position game hoping the other team turns the ball while backed near their own EZ. I bet both teams will go extra hard to cause fumbles inside the 20 or 30 yard line. It may risk a missed tackle but the payoff could be a change of possession. For Tomlin, this is the more likely path to success than trusting Rudolph to make the right decision and throws. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Or play the field position game hoping the other team turns the ball while backed near their own EZ. I bet both teams will go extra hard to cause fumbles inside the 20 or 30 yard line. It may risk a missed tackle but the payoff could be a change of possession. For Tomlin, this is the more likely path to success than trusting Rudolph to make the right decision and throws. 

I would have no punt returner even attempt to catch a kick in this game. 

• Agree 3

20 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

Wait, the bills have a built in excuse to lose? They usually respond so well to those scenarios. 

It’s great to have built in excuses.  If they lose on Sunday, the masses will say the terrible weather was the great equalizer. We wouldve won by 30 in normal conditions.

If they moved the game to Monday and the Bills get blown up by Rudolph to Pickens, the narrative will be that we should’ve played Sunday in “Buffalo weather”.  We would have stuffed them if the Steelers could only run the ball.

17 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I would have no punt returner even attempt to catch a kick in this game. 

Oddly enough, punt return can be an opportunity for unexpected offense on a snow covered field.

Covering punts is really difficult with bad footing.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

Oddly enough, punt return can be an opportunity for unexpected offense on a snow covered field.

Covering punts is really difficult with bad footing.

good point. But there isn’t a guy on this team that I trust though.

I can guarantee you some guy like Neal— who has no spatial awareness— will have a ball hit his leg or something while blocking. 

In the grand scheme of things, Playoff wins are so rare. It’s been really cool to add to our teams history of playoff wins these last few years. One day down the road we are all going to look back at this handful of years and appreciate it all much more. Obviously you hope you cash in on at least 1 of these years but this has been a real fun ride. Even though it always ended in pain, we have added playoff wins over some fun/historic AFC rivals. Colts/Ravens/Pats/Dolphins…let’s add the Steelers here and keep this thing rolling. Nothing is a given but before these games start, I like to reflect on where we came from. Just picture yourself sitting here in Jan of 2012 thinking…when does this ***** end? We are very lucky to be in the position we are in. Certainly we all paid our dues here. Let’s pay one off here and get this thing home.

• Like (+1) 4

For what it's worth, I just saw a convoy of about 10 tractors with back ho's rolling down 20A in the direction of the stadium, with a New York State pickup truck with lights on bringing up the rear (all in the name of safety, of course).  Looking like to me that 1 pm tomorrow is the game.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Draconator said:

For what it's worth, I just saw a convoy of about 10 tractors with back ho's rolling down 20A in the direction of the stadium, with a New York State pickup truck with lights on bringing up the rear (all in the name of safety, of course).  Looking like to me that 1 pm tomorrow is the game.  

Wouldn’t they still be needed for a Monday kickoff as well?

Edited by KellyToTasker

13 hours ago, Aimee75 said:

I mean, it would really be THAT hard to just move the damn game to Monday? This is silly. If it's going to be as dangerous as some reports are saying, I don't get the stubbornness over this. 

Get the Steelers to travel to Buffalo for a Sunday game before the weather hits. Wait until they are  here and the weather forecast is looking very bad. Then change the date to Monday and the poor Steelers are cooped up in a hotel an extra night and half a day while snow plows are cleaning up the mess. All part of the strategy🤣

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

Get the Steelers to travel to Buffalo for a Sunday game before the weather hits. Wait until they are  here and the weather forecast is looking very bad. Then change the date to Monday and the poor Steelers are cooped up in a hotel an extra night and half a day while snow plows are cleaning up the mess. All part of the strategy🤣

And they have to stand out in the cold in the middle of the night after the fire alarm is pulled

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Draconator said:

I just saw a convoy of about 10 tractors with back ho's rolling down 20A in the direction of the stadium, with a New York State

One positive of the isolated lake bands is that in Rochester, will just get a dust off Erie (Ontario bands set from North wind). NYS can send MANY plows to westward to BUF

Edited by Since1981
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Nothing like another extra day of rest for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Hey, you don't know, the Dolphins could come out of there alive.  I hear being frozen slows your metabolism, revitalizing in some circumstances

Patty could get clubbed by a frozen flipper, that's gotta hurt.

• Haha (+1) 1

The cold & wind is not an advantage for Pittsburgh. The only thing that will help Pittsburgh will be if it snows so much during the game they can’t keep up taking it off the field like the Colts game several years ago. That just makes the game  a scrum . But too much gloom & doom on here. PTSD from the wind game & the Cincinnati game last year. Put your big boy pants on people. 

• Like (+1) 1

Weather channel has been focusing on this game every 20 minutes.  Did a breakdown of both QB. Rudolph has only played in 3 chilly games with wind. Never played below 36.  Josh has played in 16.  Advantage bills.  They ended the piece saying the game could be moved but it sounded more like an opinion. 

The history of the Bills shows they excelled when they had QBs with strong arms who could still throw in the winter months.  Jack Kemp was first.  Then Kelly.  Now Allen.  The forecast for tomorrow is precisely why he was drafted.  

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

The history of the Bills shows they excelled when they had QBs with strong arms who could still throw in the winter months.  Jack Kemp was first.  Then Kelly.  Now Allen.  The forecast for tomorrow is precisely why he was drafted.  

And fans moaned when he got drafted.  Now they're moaning that Josh will not have an advantage over Rudolph in these conditions.

Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

The Bills have made a bad habit of getting behind 7-0 in their last three games. That has to change on Sunday.  This is not the game you want to be chasing from behind. The conditions will really frown upon the team who falls behind.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

The Bills have made a bad habit of getting behind 7-0 in their last three games. That has to change on Sunday.  This is not the game you want to be chasing from behind. The conditions will really frown upon the team who falls behind.

Bills get up 14 -0 Pitt will have not to many options other then having to pass

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.