Steelers @ Bills. Monday, January 15th at 4:30pm.

Einstein

I think really what people are trying to say here is that it's going to come down to our offense not turning the ball over, and our defense stopping the run.

• Agree 6

1 hour ago, Toledo Bill said:

These are not the old “soft lines” of past years. Jones in the middle of the D Line and an improved offensive line should make us a lot tougher.

loved an earlier post that called Spencer Brown our “Rob Ray”.

Shades of Ronnie Harmon 

Ouch! But your analogy is spot on.  That drop in Miami was as bad as Harmon's in Cleveland.  Both great passes from the QB. Both next passes ended up with bad outcomes. What is so frustrating is Both players were excellent pass catching RBs.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Toledo Bill said:

These are not the old “soft lines” of past years. Jones in the middle of the D Line and an improved offensive line should make us a lot tougher.

loved an earlier post that called Spencer Brown our “Rob Ray”.

Shades of Ronnie Harmon 

Ouch! But your analogy is spot on.  That drop in Miami was as bad as Harmon's in Cleveland.  Both great passes from the QB. Both next passes ended up with bad outcomes. What is so frustrating is Both players were excellent pass catching RBs.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

they’re hung up on what these franchises are usually known for over how they’ve been playing this year.

Agree. Did they watch the Cowboys game?  Steelers definitely have a historic aura on tough/D. 

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Who cares about the spread, that a pop-culture money thing that's based upon perceptions, which are often rooted in extreme superficialities.  That's why Vegas makes money hand over fist.  Has nothing to do with reality.  Someone good at wagering can figure out where the "deals" are.  

Honestly, much depends upon Allen, and since his play is such a wild-card in the generic sense of the word, it's difficult to know what to expect.  

I'll go ahead and say the quiet part out loud here, but if anything, our handicap in the playoffs has been McD & Co.  We're a better team.  If they cannot figure out how to tweak that in homefield advantage, with rabid fans, then that's on them.  He has yet to beat a 4th or better seed in the playoffs.  

Hopefully this is the season where he shatters that paradigm.  

If not, LOL, this place is going to be a colossal hoot for months.  

Coaching for this game is key and it seemingly favors Tomlin.  ... at least until further notice.  

McD has done a solid job coaching up the defense in the last half of the season. His defense blew some games early on but since then they have closed the door and finished off teams. Dare I say, I'm buying into the McD D. 

My fear in this game is Pitt seemingly hangs around, makes a key big play or two, and wins ugly. 

I'm hoping the Bills' talent shines through this game. McD should have this team ready to play. No Watt is likely a difference maker. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Well, is quite possible that we are a "flimsy #2 seed." We'll find out on Sunday.

The Steelers are in the toughest division in the league with three teams in the playoffs and the fourth only eliminated in week 18.  Two of their teams running with backup QBs.  

The Steelers are a physical, not a finesse, team.  They're only one game worse than us with a tougher schedule.

Ive been impressed with how physical we have been as well.  I think we were more physical than Miami and Dallas obviously.  but thought we matched the intensity of two teams that wanted to be physical (Chargers and Patriots).  Both teams seemed to want to punch us in the mouth and I thought we did a good job of responding (miscues didnt seemed to be physicality related).  

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

The way we knifed through Miami's defense only to crap ourselves in the red zone...has become a bit of a trend.

I feel like too much changes down there, we take longer getting plays in, and we play a bit more on our heels. We need some good RedZone work this week and execution on our go-to plays.

The talking heads stress the INTs, but miss that Knox was obviously held on one possession, that pass to Cook that he dropped was so money, and Allen was half a second off from pulling the trigger and leading Ty Johnson in a way where I feel he gets in before the half.

They are really close and I think Allen is getting some of that swagger and confidence back that was causing him to delay throws a bit or turn down throws.

Been a while since he was himself and that is good to see. You could see the ball was coming out really good even when having to throw from odd platforms eluding the rush.

Other than that it was just having better execution and having some blitz beaters down there, some better blocking from our RB (asking Cook to pick up blitzers is hit or miss so maybe more Fournette down there) or go heavy max protect if you think plays are going to take time developing.

You know were one of the better red zone teams in the league right.  We struggled last two weeks but were still really good.  If theres a trend, its us figuring out our passing game.  havent heard any talk of Diggs missing in action this week when that was all the rage last week.  we missed some plays against the pats, and were really close against the phins (but our mistakes just all went as TOs).  Sorta think this is the week we put it all together.  

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Well I disagree with them. I think this is the most physical this team has played in the McD regime.  They punch people in the mouth.

Yeah, I agree.  Think about last years team and then playoffs vs a weak Miami club and Cinci at home.  There was no physicality.  The Bills were so soft.  It's changed since Brady and I'm sure McD is having it emphasized.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, bills742 said:

I think if there’s a positive spin on some of these injuries it’s that we won and get to play Pittsburgh in what looks to be a wet, cold, windy game. 

We can get by without a couple people in the secondary and an undersized, speedy LB in a game against a flawed QB in bad weather. 

This would be tough to overcome in Miami. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

ails:

trouble or afflict (someone) in mind or body.

"exercise is good for whatever ails you"

Ah, but you left out the important part of the definition that came after "ails:" but before "Trouble or afflict" and that would be "verb."  You can rectify a mistake...but you can't rectify a mistook.

37 minutes ago, Rubes said:

I think really what people are trying to say here is that it's going to come down to our offense not turning the ball over, and our defense stopping the run.

I think we can turn the ball over, just don't do it three times and the game shouldn't be close.

My fear is the Billls try and get too conservative in not having turnovers that they shy away from their normal game.  We should be putting the ball in the air as usual.  If we hit early it could get ugly for Pitt.  People realize that the Bills hitting early is a distinct possibility that is why the point spread is around 10.

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I think if there’s a positive spin on some of these injuries it’s that we won and get to play Pittsburgh in what looks to be a wet, cold, windy game. 

We can get by without a couple people in the secondary and an undersized, speedy LB in a game against a flawed QB in bad weather. 

This would be tough to overcome in Miami. 

did you just call dodson an undersized speedy LB?  cant believe im saying this after his preseason, but i want him for this playoff game.  Defending the run is what he does best (he comes off the field on passing down because he is not a speedy LB that covers well).  Agree with your overall point that this is the best situation to lose secondary players for.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

did you just call dodson an undersized speedy LB?  cant believe im saying this after his preseason, but i want him for this playoff game.  Defending the run is what he does best (he comes off the field on passing down because he is not a speedy LB that covers well).  Agree with your overall point that this is the best situation to lose secondary players for.

Yes, he is 6'0 and ran a 4.6. He may play well against the run, but he is still undersized and speedy. 

I asked in the tailgate forum but seems to be limited activity there. I am bringing my 68 year old mother to her first playoff game Sunday and got Pepsi Club tickets. I normally park in a private lot but am considering parking in lot 7 due to its proximity to the club. If we get to the stadium by 10:30 should we be able to get a space or do you need a pre-purchased pass? It says on the site it is a public lot. Also, is the lot unbearable to exit at the end of the game. I know traffic is always an issue but some lots are worse. 

Edited by BuffBills51

5 hours ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Tua to Josh Allen: I love competing against you brother.

Josh Allen to Tua: We'll see you again in a couple weeks. We'll see you again here in a couple weeks? 

"Yeah" not "here."

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

McD has done a solid job coaching up the defense in the last half of the season. His defense blew some games early on but since then they have closed the door and finished off teams. Dare I say, I'm buying into the McD D. 

My fear in this game is Pitt seemingly hangs around, makes a key big play or two, and wins ugly. 

I'm hoping the Bills' talent shines through this game. McD should have this team ready to play. No Watt is likely a difference maker. 

He's done better than I expected as well, however, we've only played three teams among the top-13 scoring teams.  10 of the 17 games we've played have featured teams ranked 19th or worse, again, including four games against the 29th, 30th, and 31st scoring teams.  

Of those three teams, we played well vs. Miami but we own them.  Dallas we played well but Philly loaded up on us.  So outside the division 50/50.  

Once again, our issues have not been the regular season.  They've been the playoffs where we cannot seem to be teams seeded better than 5th or at home.  So this playoffs will be a defining playoffs.  

Of our last 7 games while Brady's been the OC, where our scoring has been below our season average, having played New England with Zappe, the Chargers with Shtick, the Jets with Wilson, or even the Chiefs w/o Pacheco and no WRs worthy of note except for a developing rookie, tough shouldn't really be a feather in our cap.  

Pittsburgh's not even a top offense, they rank 28th in scoring although they have been playing better under Rudolph, to the tune of over 9 points better than their season average on the whole, despite having played two Ds ranked 21st and 25th in those three games.  They have logged a bunch of very long TD drives however.  

We're all hoping for a win, but deep down most of us realize that we haven't been stellar in the playoffs under McD.  This is a fantastic opportunity for him to alter that perspective and existing paradigm and associated narrative.  

Some people here may be too young to remember the classic Kelly/Marino cold, wind, snow games.  They passed the ball all over the field with lots of points scored.  It has been done before and it can be done again.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Looks like Elam should dress for this game. 

If I'm McD I play more 4-3 this week. Spector looked good. Williams should not be a liability in coverage and should add some nice pop.

Maybe even play Taron at safety if they want to go with a three safety package wit Rapp hurt.

Agree on that. 

How are we feeling that it looks like the team practiced indoors today? It is cold and windy today and I was kind of hoping they would practice outside, but of course I am no expert on what the correct way to do this is.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Aimee75 said:

How are we feeling that it looks like the team practiced indoors today? It is cold and windy today and I was kind of hoping they would practice outside, but of course I am no expert on what the correct way to do this is.

Yea it's tough to say.   Limit the chance of sickness by being indoors maybe? 

2 hours ago, JustAnotherBillsFan said:

I would like to see Fournette get more touches as well. The problem with "letting James cook" is that he seems to get butter on his fingers too often.  😀

To me, this is a game where I’m happy we have Playoff Lenny and even Latavius.  Hopefully the extra rest for Murray gives him something more for Sunday.  I think we’re going to need to squeeze as much juice out of our RBs as possible.  Also, whether Gabe is in or not, I’m expecting heavier sets from our offense, which is one more reason having worked the 12 personnel (Knox & Kincaid) will benefit us now.  Our offense was ugly at points during the year, although I think BB and the coaching staff did as much as they could with the team’s personnel to better position this team for this kind of game.  We got beat up in that Bengals game last year, and I don’t think any of us want to see that again.

• Like (+1) 1

The news today on the Bills injury front certainly isn't promising, but I still think that they should be fine against the Steelers without any of these guys.

Certainly Douglass and Dodson will hurt the most but need all hands on deck next week and healthy especially if it's the Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Aimee75 said:

Today was a walk through.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Yea it's tough to say.   Limit the chance of sickness by being indoors maybe? 

I think getting sick from being in the cold is an old wives tale. They are now saying the winds and gusts are going to be as bad as the Patriots wind tunnel game, so I sure as hell hope they can get a run game going. I honestly feel like this favors the Steelers, because I feel like we struggle against the run more than they do. Ugh, I hate this. I am starting to regret having "home field advantage". It's not much of an advantage, unless you count the crowd. I hate that the weather always takes a horrible turn when we have a big game. 

6 minutes ago, Mr Info said:

Today was a walk through.

Ah ok. Well hopefully tomorrow he has them outside then.

12 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

The news today on the Bills injury front certainly isn't promising, but I still think that they should be fine against the Steelers without any of these guys.

Certainly Douglass and Dodson will hurt the most but need all hands on deck next week and healthy especially if it's the Chiefs.

McD said the injuries were "day to day" and not "week to week".  This means there's a chance one or more of these guys will play Sunday and there's a very good chance they'll play the following week if the Bills win.

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Mango said:

Yes, he is 6'0 and ran a 4.6. He may play well against the run, but he is still undersized and speedy. 

Appreciate the speed reference but gonna disagree that 237 is undersized.  That is above average for a LB all time per RAS and the league is trending down.  Also he is the heaviest LB on the team.  So yeah i dont like losing our heaviest LB that is good against the run.  Felt like you were implying that he was a coverage guy with the undersized and speedy comment.  I agree this is the game to choose to be missing coverage players.  

4 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

McD said the injuries were "day to day" and not "week to week".  This means there's a chance one or more of these guys will play Sunday and there's a very good chance they'll play the following week if the Bills win.

Like I said, if that's the case I'm sitting them and rolling the dice...especially Dodson and Douglas who are most important to this team against much better competition on the horizon after the Steelers.

Spector looked like a thumper out there and we know Jackson has been fairly average, if not above average at times.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I've never watched an episode of Hard Knocks before.  I was going to watch a little bit of it and said no way am I watching this for almost an hour.  I couldn't stop watching and ended up watching the entire thing lol.  It actually is an interesting program.  I especially liked all the field view footage of the game.  From broadcast angles you don't actually realize the speed of everything on the field but this view is a whole new perspective of how fast those guys are really flying around out there.

That hour is an extremely important part of your day, huh?

26 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

If Rasul Douglas' MCL is closer to a mild than moderate he could be closer to that 10-day window. 

But a classic MCL Grade 2 is usually 3-4 weeks. 

26 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

That hour is an extremely important part of your day, huh?

Yes when I am in so much pain I can't sit still for long periods. I typically dont watch programs like that so usually wont waste an hour on them

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/9/2024 at 3:15 PM, HappyDays said:

It's been a while since I got info like this, but here's what I was just told about injuries:

Douglas - Moderate MCL knee sprain. Will almost certainly miss this week and possibly the divisional round too...

Dodson - Tore his left labrum and partially tore his rotator cuff (ouch). Same injury timeline as Douglas.

Rapp - Calf & achilles strain. Not a huge concern.

Almost certainly going to missing Douglas, Dodson, and Davis against the Steelers... Let's hope they can be back the following week.

Is this something where you can go back to your source and see how this is progressing? 

Specifically wondering on Douglas MCL, a lot of variance between a mild and moderate sprain. 

As we see with Watt, he was officially diagnosed with a Grade II (moderate) and reports are he wouldn't be back until the AFC Championship. 

Hoping that Douglas is closer to the mild strain than initially thought.

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Is this something where you can go back to your source and see how this is progressing? 

Specifically wondering on Douglas MCL, a lot of variance between a mild and moderate sprain. 

As we see with Watt, he was officially diagnosed with a Grade II (moderate) and reports are he wouldn't be back until the AFC Championship. 

Hoping that Douglas is closer to the mild strain than initially thought.

Also surprised to see Dodson listed as limited given the prognosis here. Granted it was a walk through, but a bit surprising nonetheless

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.