McDermott has earned the right

Most of you must be have grown up in an abusive home.  You don’t change your tune about a guy bc he’s not currently slapping you around, you have to recall all the times he has and hold him accountable.  

if he can get his team close to the SB, I can forgive him, lose to the Steelers and I’m out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Let's see how we do in the playoffs first.  

Beating a depleted Miami team, barely, while an impressive 2nd-Half, was only moderately impressive.  

Allen was a beast and without Harty's return TD ... 

Having said that, we're all happy until the next game.  Pitt/Pickett should be somewhat of a breather, and hopefully Miami or KC can beat Baltimore at home, then hopefully we keep winning, host the AFCCG and then win the Super Bowl.  

Just let's not get outcoached.  

GO BILLS!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

He doesn't deserve the job until he hangs them up. But for me any thought of him deserving to be fired was contingent on missing the playoffs (not that he would have been anyway but there would have been a legitimate argument that he should). He deserves to coach the team next year. And every season is a new season. You have to earn the right all over again.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

This. If we come out flat against a Well coached Tomlin team, I would not be surprised at all. 

Would you be surprised if Mike Tomlin won a playoff game? Because he hasn’t won one since Josh was in community college.

• Haha (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

Diggs wants out. Depleted defense. 6-6. Media and fans turned. Tyler Dunne hit article. 

To 2 seed and AFC East Champs. 

Not only was this an admirable job of keeping the team together but the way his defense played down the stretch was remarkable.  He should be HC until he’s decides he wants to hang them up. 

He should be in consideration for coach of the year. 

I said it in the 2nd half thread I said it after Dallas that if he gets this team the division for me I will forgive 13 seconds.  

That’s over.  I’m done with it.  No use looking back.  He could have lost this team he could have lost it tonight and he didn’t.  

I’m not sure all fans understand how big a deal this run has been.  

Now finish it.  Go win the championship.  

And please God let Douglas and Dodson be healthy (who the heck thought we’d be here saying that).  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Let's see how we do in the playoffs first.  

Beating a depleted Miami team, barely, while an impressive 2nd-Half, was only moderately impressive.  

Allen was a beast and without Harty's return TD ... 

Having said that, we're all happy until the next game.  Pitt/Pickett should be somewhat of a breather, and hopefully Miami or KC can beat Baltimore at home, then hopefully we keep winning, host the AFCCG and then win the Super Bowl.  

Just let's not get outcoached.  

GO BILLS!!!

The Bills outgained Miami by 200 yards.

What exactly did you not like about coaching tonight?

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

Did I make a comment about coaching? 

I said we're all happy.  I'm happy.  

The coaching reference was to our playoff history.  Let's hope it doesn't repeat.  

GO BILLS!!!

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

And let's be honest, this was a depleted Miami team.  

I expected a more decisive win, so did most Bills fans.  

Edited by PBF81

He earned it. It was a long shot at one point, but he did absolutely everything correct to earn it. His defense has been incredible and has improved over last year, minus Milano nonetheless. Minus both of your previous LBs come to think of it. Brady move worked. Yes, McD had pretty much been lights out since he was rightfully on the warm seat.

They also just played a clip of him genuinely screaming with joy on WGR and it’s hard not to root for him. 4 in a row is historic. Hats off

Clappy got us from 6-6 to 11-6 and the division title. We had no business beating the Dolphins tonight. McDermott coached that win out of us. I am done doubting him. He's upper echelon if not elite

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, RoscoeParrish said:

HC who learns from his mistakes. Unique

Not really, he still wasted TOs every game running the fake 4th down offside instigating plays. I would say its worked once in 40 tries.  He also had an awesome coffin corner punter and could have forced Miami into a 95 yard final drive…..

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Process said:

As a head coach, as a leader, I have been as down on him as anyone on these boards. I still believe that if this team doesn't at least make the AFCG we need to strongly consider moving on. 

But his defense has been absolutely lights out down the stretch, and is THE reason we are in the playoffs. 

All year are offense has struggled. With turnovers. With moving the ball. And that didn't change during our 5 game win streak. We consistently put the defense in bad positions. And they consistently got the stops needed to keep us in games. 

An absolute masterclass from Sean to end the season, and he deserves a lot of praise. 

1000002750_50.png.webp

Actually I still feel our offense did move the ball better every game under Brady. If we eliminate the self inflicted wounds. Our offense will be as dynamic as it was in 2020 and 2021

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RoscoeParrish said:

Diggs wants out. Depleted defense. 6-6. Media and fans turned. Tyler Dunne hit article. 

Not only was this an admirable job of keeping the team together but the way his defense played down the stretch was remarkable.  He should be HC until he’s decides he wants to hang them up. 

My problem was that people were blaming EVERYTHING on McDermott and calling him Dick Jauron with Josh Allen.  He’s a very defensive coach and seems to be growing as a HC as well.  

• Like (+1) 1

McDermott is a huge reason for why our offense has been off at times this year. A disproportionate amount of resources have been invested into the defensive side of the ball compared to the offense. Besides trading a first for Diggs (which could have been used to grab the much better Jefferson), we have not spent a top 3 round pick on a receiver or grabbed a top receiver in free agency his time here. Another stud receiver fixes alot of the issues on this offense. And he stuck with Dorsey for way too long. 

His defense has played better but with the investments made, there's no excuse not to. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/7/2024 at 11:42 PM, RyanC883 said:

“First: he digged the hole he is now getting credit for getting out of.”

It works for politicians, why not head coaches?  Not that I agree with the take, I just couldn’t resist with the ball sitting on the T. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/7/2024 at 10:36 PM, RoscoeParrish said:

So ignore his failures because of a 5 game stretch?  Oh ok..

Win the superbowl then there is a legit discussion.  Been in the playoffs before. Only to have him NOT have the team prepared, waste and epic postseason by Josh with his blowing 13 ******* seconds, and lost an AFC  championship. 

Superbowl or bust for him.  

Prisoner of the moment forgetting a whole bunch of fail 

Thank you Tyrod Taylor for not scoring before the half and allowing us to be this almighty 2 seed 

coach for life.    Nah

Browns coach gets the same treatment ? 

Doing too much here, man got pansted by Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, Russ Wilson, and barely escaped Tyrod Taylor 

Pump the breaks.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Prisoner of the moment forgetting a whole bunch of fail 

Thank you Tyrod Taylor for not scoring before the half and allowing us to be this almighty 2 seed 

coach for life.    Nah

Browns coach gets the same treatment ? 

Doing too much here, man got pansted by Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, Russ Wilson, and barely escaped Tyrod Taylor 

Pump the breaks.   

I wish I could hit that thank you tankard about 50x.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/7/2024 at 11:43 PM, RyanC883 said:

or, before Allen.  

I mean, he managed to coach a squad no one thought would do anything to a 9-7 record and a playoff appearance before Allen showed up. 

I think he took some of his own "growth mindset" medicine, did some self-scouting, and made some changes/improvements during the bye that have helped.  His end-of-close-game mindset on both sides of the ball is WAY better - we're being way more aggressive.  Defensively we're pressuring opposing QBs into mistakes rather than being passive and hoping they don't break a big play.  Offensively we're not just trying to run out the clock.  His time-out usage seems better. 

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I wish I could hit that thank you tankard about 50x.

hell of a finish with depleted defense, but shouldn’t have been that far down with this talent at Qb/RB …. 

watching Mac Jones get benched in first halves after beating us was brutal.  

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, uninja said:

I mean, he managed to coach a squad no one thought would do anything to a 9-7 record and a playoff appearance before Allen showed up. 

with help from Bengals.  Then blew that playoff game.  

17 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

with help from Bengals.  Then blew that playoff game.  

If you go back and look at that roster the fact that we managed a 9-7 record with Tyrod Taylor at QB and Rick Dennison at OC is a small miracle. Yeah we got help to make the postseason but honestly I did not expect us to do much, even against the Jags. That team gave JAX everything it could handle defensively, our offense just stunk as it did for large parts of the year.

1 minute ago, uninja said:

If you go back and look at that roster the fact that we managed a 9-7 record with Tyrod Taylor at QB and Rick Dennison at OC is a small miracle. Yeah we got help to make the postseason but honestly I did not expect us to do much, even against the Jags. That team gave JAX everything it could handle defensively, our offense just stunk as it did for large parts of the year.

a fair point.  But that was also years ago.  You don't get to stay in one place forever just because you make the playoffs with perhaps the NFLs best QB.  Heck, winning 6 SBs doesn't get you that right, ask Bellicheat.  

Just now, RyanC883 said:

a fair point.  But that was also years ago.  You don't get to stay in one place forever just because you make the playoffs with perhaps the NFLs best QB.  Heck, winning 6 SBs doesn't get you that right, ask Bellicheat.  

Yeah fair, that year I was just happy to snap the drought and just being in the dance for once was enough but now that we have Allen and we've become a postseason fixture it's SB and that's the goal. McD has proven he can lead a team through rough seas into the postseason and he's proven that he can turn chicken ***** into chicken salad by somehow keeping the defense firing on all cylinders even in the face of many, many injuries.

His last test imo is keeping it going for 4 more games.

On 1/7/2024 at 8:36 PM, RoscoeParrish said:

I agree that this is probably McD's finest hour in terms of what he was able to accomplish this year given the aforementioned circumstances, but it still means absolutely nothing unless this team finally goes the distance this year and plays real playoff caliber football.

Losing this week to the Steelers or a 3rd straight loss in the divisional round still warrants serious consideration of moving on from him sooner than later in my eyes. Some would probably argue that even another AFCCG appearance (and loss) that he should be replaced.

It's now or never for this group that's going to look vastly different next year regardless of how far they go in the postseason.

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

I agree that this is probably McD's finest hour in terms of what he was able to accomplish this year given the aforementioned circumstances, but it still means absolutely nothing unless this team finally goes the distance this year and plays real playoff caliber football.

Losing this week to the Steelers or a 3rd straight loss in the divisional round still warrants serious consideration of moving on from him sooner than later in my eyes. Some would probably argue that even another AFCCG appearance (and loss) that he should be replaced.

It's now or never for this group that's going to look vastly different next year regardless of how far they go in the postseason.

listen, until you're ready to at least respond to the preseason predictions...why bother? you were brave enough to put them out there, but not brave enough to back them up.  i mean, you did pick the bengals over the giants. 

i get it.  miami embarrassed themselves yet again in december.  it looked like they could be a generational type team, only to let their fans down.  the coach is weak and the team is weaker.  it happens.  does playing a bills fan make you feel better?  

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.