The Bills D is ascending at the right time.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-points-per-game

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2023/opp.htm

Under McDermott the Bills have lost (DQ is partially back) the key player(s) at each level of the D in 2023. Still, the Bills are playing excellent D and I would argue, without great complimentary football as the O has been very inconsistent this year.  I know many here are down on McDermott but he does deserve credit as the D has been an absolutely pleasant surprise this year.

The other very honorable mention here is that Rasul Douglas may well be the best pickup trade ever by the Bills.  Credit to him and to the Bills coaching staff.  McDermott is a secondary whisperer. Hell even Austin looked good for the Cheats*. 

Let’s hope the offense finds a gear in Miami. The D has found theirs.

IMG_0290.jpeg

IMG_0291.jpeg

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

When this team is clicking they’re the best in the league. 

Miami and Cowboys games are a prime example. 

Cleveland D is unreal on those charts for not having the most competent offense for a season. 

Since McDermott started to control his desire the blitz all the sodding time this defense has clicked. He is getting much better value for his blitzes by blitzing less. Teams are struggling to get a read on when we are coming and when we are dropping out. We will give up a few more big plays than we did previously but I think most were fine with that if it was in exchange for some more splash plays. 

10th now in total defense (i.e. yards) and 4th in points. Given the guys they have been without that is a very strong performance. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Under McDermott the Bills have lost (DQ is partially back) the key player(s) at each level of the D in 2023. Still, the Bills are playing excellent D and I would argue, without great complimentary football as the O has been very inconsistent this year.  I know many here are down on McDermott but he does deserve credit as the D has been an absolutely pleasant surprise this year.

The other very honorable mention here is that Rasul Douglas may well be the best pickup trade ever by the Bills.  Credit to him and to the Bills coaching staff.  McDermott is a secondary whisperer. Hell even Austin looked good for the Cheats*. 

IMG_0290.jpeg

IMG_0291.jpeg

Defence looks good enough to win a Superbowl,  the problem is our passing game needs to be much better.  Bills should bring Isabella or Shorter  off the practice squad.  We're just not getting anything from either Harty or Sheffield

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 7

Our D looks fierce. I'm lovin it. Our O looks good too - we are doing what we need to do to win the games in December. Josh and our O will be fine. Having our D back is the piece we needed. With Linval coming back next week (hopefully) we will have a clear advantage with healthy rotation. GO BILLS!

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

IMG_0290.jpeg

IMG_0291.jpeg

I thought the Bills defense is the only reason Josh isn’t on vacation waiting for the playoffs to start.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I thought the Bills defense is the only reason Josh isn’t on vacation waiting for the playoffs to start.

That is true, along with Josh being the other only reason Josh isn’t on vacation waiting for the playoffs to start.

• Like (+1) 1

But McD sucks as a coach - fire him or they hope he retires and the Bills would be so much better off with out him .

WHAT EVER !!!! 

The Bills have a chance at winning the AFC east for the 4th time since he's been here which is only 7 years & he wins the east 4 times possibly but some here want to change HC makes little to NO sense at all just saying .

Those folks need to become Panthers fans for a while then maybe they will appreciate what Mcd & Beane have done but i highly doubt it i think it's the Trump syndrome .

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

As a fan, here's what I wish...

The Bills passing offense plays like it did when we were destroying folks by 28+.

Cook and the OL play like they did against Dallas.

The D plays like it did in the first quarter against the Pats.

If we do all that, the playoffs will be a very fun ride.  

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, T master said:

But McD sucks as a coach - fire him or they hope he retires and the Bills would be so much better off with out him .

WHAT EVER !!!! 

The Bills have a chance at winning the AFC east for the 4th time since he's been here which is only 7 years & he wins the east 4 times possibly but some here want to change HC makes little to NO sense at all just saying .

Those folks need to become Panthers fans for a while then maybe they will appreciate what Mcd & Beane have done but i highly doubt it i think it's the Trump syndrome .

If your ultimate goal is to win AFC East titles then McD is your man. I want the Bills to win a Superbowl and McD hasn't shown that he can and his defense cost the Bills their best chance (13 Seconds)

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Bills Defense looks like what you need to win a Super Bowl in the modern era..

They may give up a couple big plays.  Just like we saw against NE..

But they make up for it with pressure on the QB, negative plays and turnovers.  

When you play elite offenses, that’s how you beat them.  That’s the difference between Bills Defenses of old against Mahomes or Burrow in the playoffs and this new version of the Bills Defense. 

Thing is.. this Defense comes with a price tag.   Von Miller is eating up cap on the bench.  Floyd & Poyer are on this defense and therefore DeAndre Hopkins is not on our Offense.  

With Daquan Jones back, and Rasul Douglas replacing Tre White, we’re truly only missing Milano.   Look around the NFL… we’ll take it. 

I fully expect this Defense to be Super Bowl caliber and show it Sunday Night and into the Playoffs.  

If, and when, they do that.  Props to McDermott.   But this is when he needs to shine. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/1/2024 at 11:15 AM, dma0034 said:

If your ultimate goal is to win AFC East titles then McD is your man. I want the Bills to win a Superbowl and McD hasn't shown that he can and his defense cost the Bills their best chance (13 Seconds)

The Bills D run by a different coach at that time . McD's defensive coaching is much different than Frazier & that may be the biggest reason why he is no longer here . Then you see the turn around the D has done since after the injuries i'd say McD is doing pretty good & who knows who made the last call on the 13 second game ? I would think that would have been Frazier .

Oh & by the way you can't make it to the super bowl if you not in the play offs it's impossible . So i along with probably a bunch of other Bills fans will take the play offs or the AFC east championship every year until they get it figured out had enough of the other end of it for 17 years .

But hey you and all the others can keep tooting that horn by all means ...

Edited by T master
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It’s in another thread but I think there’s little chance the Bills Defense would be where they are without the addition of Rasul Douglas. He has single handedly papered over some significant weakness's in the secondary. 

• Agree 2

56 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It’s a weird situation haha there was a long stretch where the bills d got zero late game stops and I’d say they’re more to blame for the first pats loss…it’s 50/50 on who cost us the playoffs if we don’t make it imo 

3 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Defence looks good enough to win a Superbowl,  the problem is our passing game needs to be much better.  Bills should bring Isabella or Shorter  off the practice squad.  We're just not getting anything from either Harty or Sheffield

100% Harty and Sherfield are wasted spots at this point. 

Bring in some guys that might actually make a play or two. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Agree. Harty on punt returns has been a huge disappointment. Seems like he’s always dancing and not making one cut and getting up field. 

Defense has been playing well. The last two weeks our offense has not played complimentary football. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

I was thinking that until they made Bailey Zappe look like a competent quarterback in the second half of the game…

D has a maddening habit of looking great in one half and not great in the other.

Sometimes they start great and fade like in the NE and Philly games. Other times they start out not great and then turn it around at halftime.

Why can't they be consistent? Do they really have no adjustments once the other team adjusts to what they are doing initially?

D is playing better while O is sputtering.  Diggs doesn’t look right, JA looks inconsistent and offense is still not clicking consistently & the D still has its lapses. While we’ve seen improvement it’s still a mixed bag at times.

We’ve made an admirable push but I still see some of the same issues on both sides of the ball that bit us in the a$$ throughout the season.

Edited by PayDaBill$

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Since McDermott started to control his desire the blitz all the sodding time this defense has clicked. He is getting much better value for his blitzes by blitzing less. Teams are struggling to get a read on when we are coming and when we are dropping out. We will give up a few more big plays than we did previously but I think most were fine with that if it was in exchange for some more splash plays. 

10th now in total defense (i.e. yards) and 4th in points. Given the guys they have been without that is a very strong performance. 

the disguised blitzes appear to be key.  I think we had a nice 3rd and short stop yesterday where Rapp dropped and didn’t blitz. 

On 1/1/2024 at 10:15 AM, dma0034 said:

No one here wants a super bowl.  We watch for participation trophies. 

On 1/1/2024 at 12:42 PM, Bobby Hooks said:

100% Harty and Sherfield are wasted spots at this point. 

Bring in some guys that might actually make a play or two. 

Sherfield plays all 4 units special teams, and is very good blocking WR.  That’s why he plays so many snaps.  He has had some big drops. I’m not sure what’s up with that, but Sherf had great hands last year in Miami.

Sherf, and all WR, TE, RB- catch the ball- help out Josh

Harty has been awful.  What a waste of $ and precious cap room and roster spot.  He used to be fast

After getting back AJE, Hyde, and Daquon the Bills are at full health on defense. The only players out on long term injury are Tre and Milano and Tre’s production has been replaced by Douglas.

I think the in season additions of Douglas and Joseph really helped turn around the unit. The team was having massive issues at pass coverage at the boundary and up the middle against the run. Douglas and Joseph alleviated those issues a lot.

This has been the best in season management in the McD era. 

On 1/1/2024 at 8:58 AM, BringBackFergy said:

I’ve always said “Climaxing at the right time is impotent”

Staying power is important.

On 1/1/2024 at 9:32 AM, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

Ndamukong Suh could maximize the ascending 

Peak Suh, yes. I don't trust him to bring it now. Is he more interested in a ring or a paycheck?

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/1/2024 at 10:04 AM, VaMilBill said:

Agree. Harty on punt returns has been a huge disappointment. Seems like he’s always dancing and not making one cut and getting up field. 

Defense has been playing well. The last two weeks our offense has not played complimentary football. 

Harty's big play hunting is going to lead to another costly fumble. He scares me every time he returns a punt.

On 1/1/2024 at 9:25 AM, GunnerBill said:

11 of our 16 games however have been against teams ranked in the bottom half of scoring.  

The other five teams are the Jags and Chiefs (13th and 12th), Jags did better than their average against us, the Chiefs slightly worse, but w/o Pacheco who's a good part of their offense this season. 

Otherwise Philly who also lit us up.  Miami early in the season.  Otherwise, Dallas amidst a three game streak where they can't hit the 20 point mark.  

Caution entering the playoffs is advised.  LOL 

Do with the info what you will, but we've hardly had a difficult slate of offenses.  

3 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

11 of our 16 games however have been against teams ranked in the bottom half of scoring.  

The other five teams are the Jags and Chiefs (13th and 12th), Jags did better than their average against us, the Chiefs slightly worse, but w/o Pacheco who's a good part of their offense this season. 

Otherwise Philly who also lit us up.  Miami early in the season.  Otherwise, Dallas amidst a three game streak where they can't hit the 20 point mark.  

Caution entering the playoffs is advised.  LOL 

Do with the info what you will, but we've hardly had a difficult slate of offenses.  

That is true. And in the middle of the season the defense was bad for a period. But they have played well down the stretch, even against good teams. They played well vs Philly too, especially first half. The score is a bit inflated by OT but even in that game the play calling and the scheme were good. It was the one game where Douglas struggled which makes a difference.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/1/2024 at 12:25 PM, T master said:

The Bills D run by a different coach at that time . McD's defensive coaching is much different than Frazier & that may be the biggest reason why he is no longer here . Then you putt he turn around the D has done since after the injuries i'd say McD is doing pretty good & who knows who made the last call on the 13 second game ? I would think that would have been Frazier .

Oh & by the way you can't make it to the super bowl if you not in the play offs it's impossible . So i along with probably a bunch of other Bills fans will take the play offs or the AFC east championship every year until they get it figured out had enough of the other end of it for 17 years .

But hey you and all the others can keep tooting that horn by all means ...

The defense isn't as good as it was the last few years. Here's a quick summary of how the Bills have lost all their games this year (minus the Jets). Allen and the Offense go down and score late to take the lead or pull within one score and then the defense fails to get a stop. When the defense fails in the playoffs again what will the excuse be then? McD has had Allen at an elite level for 4 years and the furthest he's gotten is playing scared against the Chiefs in the AFC Championship Game. His ST kicking the ball deep and his Defense failing to stop the Chiefs from getting a FG in 13 seconds because, him as head coach of the team; whom got the job because of his DC skill, decided to play soft zone coverage and guard the sideline even though the Chiefs had 2 timeouts and lastly seeing a team woofully unprepared to play the Bengals at home. Listen: I hope I'm wrong but quite simply put: no team ever has had a QB/HC combo that won their first Superbowl after the first five years together.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.