Kickers are 26/27 in FGs against us this year

SageAgainstTheMachine

Just an example of some of the negative variance that we have to overcome.  It's one of those things that tends to normalize over a larger sample size but just like our luck on fumbled balls it's been going against us all season.  Even though it was Easton Stick and not Patrick Mahomes I didn't feel remotely comfortable at the end of this game because I think Dicker would have nailed it from 67 somehow.

But wouldn't it be awesome if this is where the worm turns?  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Just an example of some of the negative variance that we have to overcome.  It's one of those things that tends to normalize over a larger sample size but just like our luck on fumbled balls it's been going against us all season.  Even though it was Easton Stick and not Patrick Mahomes I didn't feel remotely comfortable at the end of this game because I think Dicker would have nailed it from 67 somehow.

Jeez crazy 🤔 it really is hard to believe, damn😜

11 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Now we blame the FGs against….

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Dislike 1

The NFL should explore a rule change, in order to speed up games and limit injuries: Any Bills opponent can opt to simply take an automatic 3 points anywhere inside the Bills’ 40-yard line, any time of the game, any weather conditions, without the kicker having to actually take the field. Kinda like an intentional walk in baseball…why waste people’s time with kick that’s guaranteed to be good anyway?  Same with 1-point conversions…

11 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I can’t remember the miss.  Wasn’t it a block?

Yes, I believe so.  And it’s not just this year…the phenomenon of Bills’ opposing kicker infallibility goes back a long time…

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Thank you for looking that up. I was thinking of doing it myself after this game, since it seemed to me as well that other teams just don’t seem to miss (unless we have 12 men on the field).

6 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Thank you for looking that up. I was thinking of doing it myself after this game, since it seemed to me as well that other teams just don’t seem to miss (unless we have 12 men on the field).

The kick by Elliott in the Eagles game was the craziest.  61 yards in the wind and rain.  Low line drive that looks like it wants to knuckle but just powers through.  There's no way that was higher than a 20% probability kick.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

57 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

That’s neat, but I don’t understand what “negative variance” means so I’m just gonna blame McDermott

If I'm understanding the feeling it's basically like when on one of those deep passes against us where it bounces off our DB into the WRs hands for a TD. Somebody did something to piss off Lady Luck.

1 hour ago, pigpen65 said:

Von Miller was going about 25% speed on that play. I don't even know what the point of him dressing for games is. But yeah, thank you Ed Oliver. And Bernard. 

It’s really upsetting to me that we have Von on the field in these situations. Get someone out there that can make a difference.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mannc said:

The NFL should explore a rule change, in order to speed up games and limit injuries: Any Bills opponent can opt to simply take an automatic 3 points anywhere inside the Bills’ 40-yard line, any time of the game, any weather conditions, without the kicker having to actually take the field. Kinda like an intentional walk in baseball…why waste people’s time with kick that’s guaranteed to be good anyway?  Same with 1-point conversions…

Yes, I believe so.  And it’s not just this year…the phenomenon of Bills’ opposing kicker infallibility goes back a long time…

Ha - I actually said basically the same thing to my son during the game - we should be allowed to just concede it to move the game along

4 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

It does feel like luck has not been on our side so far this year.  

Every time someone says we got lucky in the giants game this year I’m like ‘have you watched the rest of the season?’ 😂

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

It’s really upsetting to me that we have Von on the field in these situations. Get someone out there that can make a difference.

He had two pretty good games in a row…today looked like a step backwards though 

Its not really that incredible.   Given league average youd expect kickers to be 24/28 against the Bills.    Having 3 more made than expected really isn't some sort of gross anomaly.   

The "bad luck" narrative, in this instance, is more evident when paralleled with how truly bad Bass has been this year.   When you're watching games with guys like Dicker doing exactly what you'd expect from an NFL kicker and Ole One Eye Paint misses 20% of his kicks, the bad luck narrative is exacerbated.

Great thread and observation. I had zero hope Dicker was going to miss that long field goal against us last night. And sitting in the stadium, at that corner of the field, I can tell you it would’ve been good from well over 60 yards! Maybe our opponents are saving all of their shanks for the playoffs. 

8 hours ago, djp14150 said:

Now we blame the FGs against….

It's not blaming. It's an observation. I even said to my buddies last night after Dicker made the 53 yarder "why does it seem like every kicker drills long attempts against us". The Jack Elliot kick.. that was insane in those conditions. 

8 hours ago, mannc said:

I don't think this is true.  Certainly in 2019 there was a couple of kickers who were replaced right after they played the BiIls because they missed a big kick or missed multiple kicks.

4 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Its not really that incredible.   Given league average youd expect kickers to be 24/28 against the Bills.    Having 3 more made than expected really isn't some sort of gross anomaly.   

The "bad luck" narrative, in this instance, is more evident when paralleled with how truly bad Bass has been this year.   When you're watching games with guys like Dicker doing exactly what you'd expect from an NFL kicker and Ole One Eye Paint misses 20% of his kicks, the bad luck narrative is exacerbated.

This is a really weird narrative.

By your own standard you say 24/28 would be league average. Fine. Sounds about right. That's 85%. 

Bass on the year is 22/27. That's 81%. Basically 2 kicks under par, so to speak. So 4% in your eyes takes you from "league average" to "truly bad"? 

Now, I'll gladly admit Bass has had a down year for his normal standard. But the sudden talk this year of Bass being horrible are greatly over exaggerated.

On top of that he's 43/44 on extra points. 

9 hours ago, pigpen65 said:

Von Miller was going about 25% speed on that play. I don't even know what the point of him dressing for games is. But yeah, thank you Ed Oliver. And Bernard. 

I was at that place about a month ago.  He's not getting better, either.

I pray we can get out from under his K pending legal proceedings in Texas.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.