Daquan Jones’ 21-day practice window has been opened, per McD

Roundybout

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Jones has to maul his was past a 300+lb man EVERY snap, hand fighting the entire time.  

This is true.

But it is also true of Watt. 

Watt is a hand in the dirt defender and often has to fight through two players (because teams put extra guys on him). He is ont he left here:

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

This is true.

But it is also true of Watt. 

Watt is a hand in the dirt defender and often has to fight through two players (because teams put extra guys on him). He is ont he left here:

Looks like he lost his footing...the Tackle was just kind of there to help him to the ground.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Simon said:

If that is what this is about, I hope they don't rush him.

They're rolling right now and can afford to ease him back in very slowly.

Waiting to dress him for the Miami game would give them a nice bump and allow him another few weeks to heal.

Yeah, I think they might activate him and let him start practicing for the next 2 weeks.  Guys always think they'll be ready to go immediately and need the training staff to pull the reins in.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Simon said:

Waiting to dress him for the Miami game would give them a nice bump and allow him another few weeks to heal.

I would be tempted (if he's cleared) to have him back for the NE game. Limited snaps, of course.  But just something to help get his game legs back under him before the Miami game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Joseph has filled in pretty well.  Barring any new injuries, personally if I'd rather have Milano back of the two.  Think that may be a bigger help.

And I'd like a vacation to the Dominican Republic, and a Pony.

It's not a question of preference, it's a question of the normal recovery timeline for the injury.  McDermott said that it was a chance to get DaQuan back late in the season, but not Milano from what he's been told about it.  That fits what Bangedup Bills said about the timeline of a pec tear requiring surgery (what Jones had) vs. a tibial plateau fracture (if that's what Milano had)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

And I'd like a vacation to the Dominican Republic, and a Pony.

It's not a question of preference, it's a question of the normal recovery timeline for the injury.  McDermott said that it was a chance to get DaQuan back late in the season, but not Milano from what he's been told about it.  That fits what Bangedup Bills said about the timeline of a pec tear requiring surgery (what Jones had) vs. a tibial plateau fracture (if that's what Milano had)

Why do you want a pony??

Yes I get it, BUT if I could snap my magic fingers I'd prefer Milano, but likely not the case.

3 hours ago, Simon said:

This^.  Or if we lock up the playoffs sooner, let him sit until then.  While the defense is playing a lot better, our front 4 was beyond exceptional with him in the game.  A healthy Jones would really bring us up a level

• Agree 1

• Roundybout changed the title to Daquan Jones’ 21-day practice window has been opened, per McD

With Phillips out, the Bills appear to be ready to call on Poona Ford.  Frankly, he's just a band aid.  Buffalo should be OK facing the Chargers without Phillips this week and the Patriots on New Years Eve.  It would be great if they could get Jones back for the Dolphins in the finale.  If the Bills make the playoffs, I think there is a pretty good chance Phillips will be back.  

I still don't know why Milano can't be ready if we get in the playoffs. How long does it take for a fractured leg to heal? He did it in week 5, it's week 16. It's 11 weeks since the injury and another 3 added on in the next 3 games, I would think he could be somewhat ready by playoff time if we get there

8 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I still don't know why Milano can't be ready if we get in the playoffs. How long does it take for a fractured leg to heal? He did it in week 5, it's week 16. It's 11 weeks since the injury and another 3 added on in the next 3 games, I would think he could be somewhat ready by playoff time if we get there

That would be awesome.....even on a limited snap count, the juice Milano and DaQuan's return would bring to an already pumped up D after the Cowboys game would be huge!

4 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

I imagine packages with both Jones and Joseph in the middle on obvious running downs. If Daquan could be somewhat close to his old self, that’s a tough one to run against. 

He's not going to be "somewhat close to his old self" but at this point we're hoping for "better than Tim Settle or Poona Ford"

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

Banged Up Bills did a pretty good breakdown of the injury (see link below) the return to play from this injury is usually 8 months which is 1.5 months longer than the entire season (training camp/pre-season through the Super Bowl included) so the timetable is going to put Milano having a full return in May which should allow him to work out fully for two plus months before training camp and won't impact him for next season hopefully. Banged Up Bills, however, did note that there were a few examples of players who returned from a similar injury post-surgery after about 3ish months. But those seem to be the exception to the rule and not the rule. And from what McD has thus far said I would think Milano is likely out even if the Bills are playing in mid to late January. But if he hasn't been officially ruled out I guess anything is possible. 

https://bangedupbills.com/2023/10/09/examining-buffalo-bills-matt-milanos-right-knee-injury/

"The first case is Kansas City Chiefs S Daniel Sorensen who suffered a left tibial plateau fracture with lateral meniscus tear in the preseason in 2018. He underwent surgery in mid-August and was able to miss the first nine games of the season on injured reserve before returning to play in Week 10 to play in seven regular-season games and two playoff games. 

The other instance is a case report from PFATS, the Professional Football Athletic Trainers Society. This was done by Andrew DePietropaolo PT, DPT who is an Assistant AT for the Green Bay Packers. He highlighted a case where the player suffered a similar injury to what Matt Milano suffered and they were able to return to practice in 10 weeks and played half a game later that week. It’s also worth highlighting that this case involved an MCL internal bracing to address ligament laxity from the initial injury.

This player was OL Josh Myers who returned to play at 10.5 weeks and played in a full playoff game at 12 weeks. Different duties with offensive line vs linebacker, but still some positive news."

13 minutes ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

Yep, just like last year vs. Cincy in the divisional round

I loved the addition of Ford in the offseason as I thought Ford could be a backup "run stuffer" once they realized Ford stunk they signed Joseph and that's back filled for Jones run stuffing ability really well. Joseph isn't the same pass rusher disruptor as Jones but at least the Bills were able to stop the gaping holes up the middle of the defense that existed when Jones was out and Joseph wasn't there. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

He's not going to be "somewhat close to his old self" but at this point we're hoping for "better than Tim Settle or Poona Ford"

Any sort of evaluation before he steps on the field is a guess. His legs still work plenty fine, so no one can say definitively that he won’t be at least 80% of what he was. He’s fully healed, the question is how much strength has returned to the pec? Only DJ knows how he feels.

6 hours ago, Simon said:

IMO Miami is the target

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.