2023 Playoff Bills better than the 2021 Bills?

Thrivefourfive

I want to talk about this NOW (before it’s too late). Let’s say the Bills run the table and go into the playoffs red hot on offense. Would they be more dangerous than the 2021 Bills that could have won the Super Bowl?

The offense would be unquestionably better. The defense would be weaker, but who cares right..? EVERYONE here has been saying since 2020 that a better offense is the key to the Super Bowl. Well, we have it, and the defense is capable at the every least, pretty good at its best. 

And if this is the case, the AFC is definitely not as strong as it was in 2021. 

SF looks like a super team, and we’ll see how we match up with Dallas tomorrow. We already know we can beat every single other NFC team (PERIOD)

You see where I’m going with this.. Right now—today—we could have the best chance to Win a Super Bowl since 1993.

Hope we have longer than 12 hours to enjoy it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I don't know if the team was in and Daquan Jones was back maybe it's hard to say, the offense definitely seems to be starting to click more, but I can't say it doesn't also feel like maybe they'd be better if Brady was the OC from the beginning in the offseason, plus I worry a bit about Diggs but maybe that was just Spags being good at game planning for him and he'll kick into gear.

Either way it's hard to compare because Josh was on ***** fire in that playoff run, seriously game 1 was perfect, like not hyperbolic the offense was literally perfect TDs every drive no turnover or punts. Then he was ridiculous in the Chiefs game that followed, and by all rights he should have gotten past them. So it's hard as hell to just go yeah we'll be better than that.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The Bills can be a very dangerous team when they are executing and playing well. Unfortunately, we haven't seen enough of the elite to very good Bills team. Tomorrow should give us a pretty good indicator if the team is ready to make a legitimate run. The AFC seems pretty wide open and I'm sure many teams think they have a decent shot at advancing far. 

I'm just hoping for the best. I'm not trying to get my hopes up. Remaining hopeful but not overly confident. This team hasn't performed at a high level for many games this season. I expect a focused Bills team and an excellent effort. Let's hope it's good enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

Josh can get just as hot this season. Brady is looking good. Cook is a much better back than what we had in 2021. Kincaid is huge, and is a most dynamic Cole Beasley role. Knox and Davis should at least be as physically capable as they were in 2021. And the line is okay and shows signs of life, like they always have. The defense doesn’t really get blown out of the water, and if they sack and turn it over, they can hold a playoff team under 17. I hate our punter, and Bass is playing with less confidence. 

Alls I’m saying is this could happen. 

13 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

The Bills can be a very dangerous team when they are executing and playing well. Unfortunately, we haven't seen enough of the elite to very good Bills team. Tomorrow should give us a pretty good indicator if the team is ready to make a legitimate run. The AFC seems pretty wide open and I'm sure many teams think they have a decent shot at advancing far. 

I'm just hoping for the best. I'm not trying to get my hopes up. Remaining hopeful but not overly confident. This team hasn't performed at a high level for many games this season. I expect a focused Bills team and an excellent effort. Let's hope it's good enough. 

I feel like it’s kind of the opposite where no afc team thinks they’re going very far lol outside of maybe Baltimore 

im sure no one wants to see the bills in the playoffs though especially the dolphins.  It was lookin like they could skate by even if they lost to us until they blew that titans game now the fans seem like they’re startin to panic a bit lol

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Agree that the AFC is weaker now … opportunity lost if this team doesn’t make it 

that’s the biggest thing. There aren’t heavyweights with the chiefs on the ropes, and burrow out. If we don’t make the Super Bowl - this plus 13 seconds are going to haunt fans for a long time. 

• Like (+1) 1

The AFC best team right now - their number 1 WR is Zay Flowers and their elite TE is gone.  

The Dolphins are as banged up offensively as anyone and look vulnerable and mentally soft.  

The Chiefs and Patrick Mahomes can’t score (so they’ll probably score 30 tomorrow).  

The Joe Flacco led Browns look better then the Desean Watson led Browns. 

The Gardner Minshew Colts are 8-6.  

The Bengals have won 3 in a row - without Burrow.  

Nothing makes sense this season I think injuries are a big part of it - those Bengals played a Cousins less Vikings. 

The other AFC injuries brought our team minus Milano and White and Jones to our level.  That’s why we have a chance.  

And we might have something with Joe Brady.  

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I think this is the weakest team we've had since 2019. I see a Super Bowl win this year as an impossibility barring a meltdown by pretty much every other team ahead of us right now.

I’m as much a hard lined realist as anyone BUT. Cook and the backup RBs are much better . The OL is much. Better. WR overall not better. TE / Kincaid is much better 

D - Floyd is much better than Mario Addison. No Milano. Think overall D is a push

i think ST is worse 

this team is better than last years team

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I think this is the weakest team we've had since 2019. I see a Super Bowl win this year as an impossibility barring a meltdown by pretty much every other team ahead of us right now.

We are 6th in DVOA right now. We have never outperformed our DVOA in the McD era. This is the worst DVOA rank we have had since 2019. Since week 10, we are a top 5 offense and league average defense in EPA and it's fairly similar of late. We really don't show some of the foundational stats that would tell me we are better than years past or that we are in the top couple teams in the league.  Having said that clearly we are a dangerous team. We can get really hot and in general the league doesn't have any truly great teams this year. So it is intriguing what could potentially happen if we get in. 

1 hour ago, Mikie2times said:

We are 6th in DVOA right now. We have never outperformed our DVOA in the McD era. This is the worst DVOA rank we have had since 2019. Since week 10, we are a top 5 offense and league average defense in EPA and it's fairly similar of late. We really don't show some of the foundational stats that would tell me we are better than years past or that we are in the top couple teams in the league.  Having said that clearly we are a dangerous team. We can get really hot and in general the league doesn't have any truly great teams this year. So it is intriguing what could potentially happen if we get in. 

It’s all predicated on the team playing its best ball now and going forward. This years stats won’t stack up with 2020, 2021, 2022. We have four more wins to add this year. 

All I've heard all week is if the Bills beat the Cowboys, you definitely DON'T  want to face them in the playoffs. I don't know if our offense is better now than 21' but we do have some intriguing new playmakers in Cook, Kincaid & Shakir.  We just need Brady to keep things going and hope McD doesn't screw things up.

5 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

I want to talk about this NOW (before it’s too late). Let’s say the Bills run the table and go into the playoffs red hot on offense. Would they be more dangerous than the 2021 Bills that could have won the Super Bowl?

The offense would be unquestionably better. The defense would be weaker, but who cares right..? EVERYONE here has been saying since 2020 that a better offense is the key to the Super Bowl. Well, we have it, and the defense is capable at the every least, pretty good at its best. 

SF looks like a super team, and we’ll see how we match up with Dallas tomorrow. We already know we can beat every single other NFC team (PERIOD)

You see where I’m going with this.. Right now—today—we could have the best chance to Win a Super Bowl since 1993.

The defense, with all the injuries, is mediocre.

The offense looks better under Brady.  Then again, we only put up 20 against the Chiefs.  The days when our punter didn't have a role to play seem to be over.

Then again, you never know.  The best team isn't necessarily the team that wins it all.  Maybe the Gods of the Gridiron are on our side this year.  

9 minutes ago, julian said:

If healthy, 2023 team is better but as it stands, slight edge to 2021 but Allen is a more experienced better QB than the 2021 version IMO and for that reason I’m rolling with this years team.

Not according to the vast majority of this forum a couple weeks ago lol

• Haha (+1) 1

SF has looked like a super team at this point of the season for the last 5 years. They crumble against elite QBs.

93? we had no shot either year against Dallas and were never going to beat the Redskins after their nearly perfect season. You knew by week 5 that Washington was winning the SB.

Edited by Governor

9 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I don't know if the team was in and Daquan Jones was back maybe it's hard to say, the offense definitely seems to be starting to click more, but I can't say it doesn't also feel like maybe they'd be better if Brady was the OC from the beginning in the offseason, plus I worry a bit about Diggs but maybe that was just Spags being good at game planning for him and he'll kick into gear.

Either way it's hard to compare because Josh was on ***** fire in that playoff run, seriously game 1 was perfect, like not hyperbolic the offense was literally perfect TDs every drive no turnover or punts. Then he was ridiculous in the Chiefs game that followed, and by all rights he should have gotten past them. So it's hard as hell to just go yeah we'll be better than that.

Sean McDermott said Monday (via the Buffalo News’ Jay Skurski) DaQuan Jones has a chance to come back from the pectoral injury he suffered in London. Jones is not on track to be designated for return this week, but the Bills have the door open for the defensive tackle starter to return before season’s end.

• Like (+1) 1

Are they better?

If this team could play that 2021 team with the way that offense was hummimg, do you think the 2023 version would stand a chance? Then compare the defenses.

The 2021 team would smash the 2023 Bills……so there’s your answer.

Edited by Beast

13 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Well, we have it, and the defense is capable at the every least, pretty good at its best. 

By most fantasy sites, the Bills defense ranks in the middle of the 32 teams. Not good. Not bad.

I'm afraid that won't be enough. Not enough for a deep playoff run, maybe not even to make it to the playoffs.

I will be more optimistic if they hold the Cowboys down.

PS: McDermott better hire a DC next year. Being DC waters down his attention span in other critical areas.

8 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Inexcusable losses of Pats, Broncos, and Eagles make this season so painful. Even with all the injuries and Josh’s up and down play, they were in position to win all those games. And they just gave them away. 

Dallas at home in a must win situation should be a good barometer for this team. 

I’d throw Week 1 Jets on top of that “gave away” pile of garbage 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

That team was one the best passing teams and bad much better receiving depth.  They could score quickly and this team needs to grind out drives.  We most likely don't lose to the Jets/Pats and Broncos with that team

On 12/17/2023 at 12:54 PM, Niagara Dude said:

That team was one the best passing teams and bad much better receiving depth.  They could score quickly and this team needs to grind out drives.  We most likely don't lose to the Jets/Pats and Broncos with that team

It seemed so. But personnel wise, who made that team so much more explosive? I feel like we have better players right now, but I know what you’re saying, that the product on the field isn’t making the big plays that 2021 did. 

In fairness, every team since Rex should beat the Jets, Patriots and Broncos 🤮

On 12/17/2023 at 7:27 AM, Mr. WEO said:

2021 secondary much better than it is now.  

Much. They had an identity, then went out and balled. But our secondary now isn’t running in circles either.. they’ve been really solid. Makes you wonder why we need to spend $$ and/or draft picks on a secondary in McD’s defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.