RIP: Chiefs Superfan "Da Beard" dies in solo car crash after Bills game (alcohol suspected)

chongli

https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/chiefs-superfan-known-da-beard-killed-car-crash/DLEPILNJZVEVJE4YLRHTVVWBSI/

"Chiefs’ superfan known as ‘Da Beard’ killed in car crash"

INDEPENDENCE, Mo. — Daniel Nelson, a Kansas City Chiefs superfan known as “Da Beard” and “Red Beard” for his painted red face, was killed in a vehicle crash Monday morning, authorities said. He was 43.

Nelson died shortly after midnight in Independence, Missouri, KCTV reported. According to Independence police, Nelson was driving a Chevrolet eastbound on 23rd Street around 12:20 a.m. CST when he crashed into a railroad bridge west of Noland Road, WDAF-TV reported.

Police said that Nelson was not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash. The incident is still under investigation, but police believe alcohol may have been a contributing factor, according to the television station.

[...]

Another Chiefs superfan, Lynn “Weirdwolf” Schmidt, told WDAF that she had been with Nelson during Sunday’s game, a 20-17 loss to the Buffalo Bills.

“He gave me the big bear hug that he always does,” Schmidt told the television station. “You know, you’ll see photos of us together, and he’s always got his arm just like clawed around you because he wanted to be close with people.

“I think the game really took a toll on him yesterday. That loss was hard. I think he let things go.”

------------

EDIT: I read this on the KC forum:

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=17277174&postcount=33

"'Da Beard' is an anagram of his last moments:

Bar. Dead."

YIKES!

Edited by chongli
  • Sad 10
  • Shocked 1

11 minutes ago, chongli said:

EDIT: I read this on the KC forum:

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=17277174&postcount=33

"'Da Beard' is an anagram of his last moments:

Bar. Dead."

YIKES!

That forum doesn't fail to be awful.

Sad thing, not fully reported yet it sounds like but if he was drunk at least he didn't hit anyone else.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

That forum doesn't fail to be awful.

Sad thing, not fully reported yet it sounds like but if he was drunk at least he didn't hit anyone else.

Agreed. Alcohol plus sports cars do not mix.

This was a bad year for Chiefs superfans.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, chongli said:

Agreed. Alcohol plus sports cars do not mix.

This was a bad year for Chiefs superfans.

6 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Any cars. But did it say what he was driving besides Chevrolet? 

I was wondering that about the car too. Also he was not wearing his seatbelt. That’s a good way to get dead.

• Shocked 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, eball said:

Yep.  Thank god he didn’t hurt anyone else.

a friend of my brothers who was like a brother to me got drunk and killed himself driving on a rural route in ohio. he knew what he was doing and he often talked about driving drunk on this road because it is so deadly and wanting to die. he took out a mother and teenage daughter in his final act of cowardice. it will forever piss me off.

the other friend, nick, took his life a few years before at 20 years old.

• Sad 9
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, boyst said:

Drink and drive you're an #######. It's a selfish act. It's reprehensible.

I feel for his family and friends that lost someone.

I agree. Lost several people at the hands of a drunk driver over the years. Awful for every party involved as they are always a father, mother, sister, brother, family member or friend and now are no longer able to breathe life. Tragic. Blessings to everyone ever affected. 

Edited by BBFL
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, boyst said:

a friend of my brothers who was like a brother to me got drunk and killed himself driving on a rural route in ohio. he knew what he was doing and he often talked about driving drunk on this road because it is so deadly and wanting to die. he took out a mother and teenage daughter in his final act of cowardice. it will forever piss me off.

Jesus.  That's terrible.

• Sad 1

on a semi related note, i just saw a news snipped about how they're going to require alcohol monitoring in future car builds.  i'm not sure if i have the completely correct, but it's the first time i've heard it.  

edit:  it seems there's a push to make it a requirement. 

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I was wondering that about the car too. Also he was not wearing his seatbelt. That’s a good way to get dead.

His story when I was in 5th grade  scared me into wearing a seatbelt from then on

https://www.sportskeeda.com/basketball/news-what-happened-bobby-hurley-everything-1993-accident-nearly-took-life

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2

42 minutes ago, teef said:

on a semi related note, i just saw an news snipped about how they're going to require alcohol monitoring in future car builds.  i'm not sure if i have the completely correct, but it's the first time i've heard it.  

I’m gonna bet my retirement that someone is already developing the workaround. 

Also, no seatbelt and running into a bridge while drunk makes me wonder about suicide.  I’ve heard many people talk about doing exactly that when depressed, mentally ill, etc. 

Edited by WotAGuy

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

His story when I was in 5th grade  scared me into wearing a seatbelt from then on

https://www.sportskeeda.com/basketball/news-what-happened-bobby-hurley-everything-1993-accident-nearly-took-life

A second cousin of mine was on a country road near Penn State when he was home from college. He was alone driving his pickup at night. He hit a mailbox that was set in a 55 gallon drum filled with concrete. That impact did not kill him, but he was not wearing his seatbelt. So he was halfway out of the driver’s side window as the truck rolled over him and crushed his chest. It was his only significant injury, but was enough to kill him. Never any word if alcohol was involved or not.

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, boyst said:

Sorry for your losses, that’s got to be incredibly frustrating. 

3 hours ago, boyst said:

Drink and drive you're an #######. It's a selfish act. It's reprehensible.

I feel for his family and friends that lost someone.

Im actually surprised that no one has gotten trucked on the shoulder of the roads outside the stadium walking back to their car after the game. Between the amount of drunk people walking on the shoulder, and the amount of drunk people driving on the same roads always makes me learn near the barricades as far away as I can get. Lets not act like multiple Bills fans aren't getting behind the wheel after games heavily intoxicated.

48 minutes ago, chongli said:

The angle I found interesting was that it was the Bills loss that probably caused him to get drunk. Third time in a row in the regular season KC has lost to Buffalo at home.

If Toney wasnt offside he would have been just as wasted. 

Edited by uticaclub
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

I’m gonna bet my retirement that someone is already developing the workaround. 

Also, no seatbelt and running into a bridge while drunk makes me wonder about suicide.  I’ve heard many people talk about doing exactly that when depressed, mentally ill, etc. 

1 hour ago, teef said:

on a semi related note, i just saw a news snipped about how they're going to require alcohol monitoring in future car builds.  i'm not sure if i have the completely correct, but it's the first time i've heard it.  

The workaround is a car that drives itself imo.  

The challenge is that the current Interlock breathalyzer's are insanely unreliable.  They don't work well in the cold.  They generate false positives from things like Albuterol inhalers.  Car companies would be sourcing this out to companies, and people are NOT going to like when they can't go to work because their car isn't allowed to start due to malfunction.  You could say - this happens all the time when things break or a car wont start.  But this is like saying the car won't start because the cigarette lighter won't light.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.