AFC Standings, schedules, & Rooting Interests FINAL 1/7/24 BILLS 2 Seed!

Donuts and Doritos

45 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Am I right in saying that if Chiefs beat bengals in Week 17, then the Bills win all three games they are in ?

Colts and Texans still play each other 

Denver can still get in over us if we both end up 10-7.  As can Bengals.  Need for both those teams to lose twice.

25 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

We need the chiefs so badly, just in case Miami doesn’t lose until we play them.

we need them against the Bengals.

the colts could run the table, and the Bengals could, too, if they upend a chiefs’ team they are pretty good at upending.

crazy…I don’t want it to be the case, but for the first time I am considering that 11-6 may not get us in.

Or the Dolphins could go 0-3 and we win the division 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Denver can still get in over us if we both end up 10-7.  As can Bengals.  Need for both those teams to lose twice.

Denver cannot catch us if we win out. We will be 11-6 and they would be 10-7 at best.  Would be irrelevant because if we win out we are wining the AFC East.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Big Turk said:

Denver cannot catch us if we win out. We will be 11-6 and they would be 10-7 at best.  Would be irrelevant because if we win out we are wining the AFC East.

I said if we don't win out and finish 10-7.  Please read my entire post.   That's why we need to win out.

Todays win makes those bad losses feel even worse. If we had just one of those 4 bad losses (broncos, pats, eagles, jets) go the other way, we wouldn't be in what feels like a dire win or die situation.

The best option is to win out, which I thoroughly believe the can do. However, what is the playoff % likelyhood if going 2-1 down the stretch? 

Browns and Texans did us know favors today…

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Do we want JAX or BAL tonight ? 

I was thinking JAX. Don’t want a scenario where jags are in WC with H2H over us… plus a ravens loss keeps them needing to push towards earning the 1 seed…they play the Steelers week 18 and don’t want them resting starters 

1 minute ago, Putin said:

Baltimore 

Reasoning? 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable

3 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I was thinking JAX. Don’t want a scenario where jags are in WC with H2H over us… plus a ravens loss keeps them needing to push towards earning the 1 seed…they play the Steelers week 18 and don’t want them resting starters 

Reasoning? 

Can we still get the # 1 seed ?

14 minutes ago, Putin said:

Or the Dolphins could go 0-3 and we win the division 

Agreed, but I referenced the Dolphins first in my post. If they go 2-0 (granted, that’s tough) the East is there’s.   Heck, even they just go 1-2 with a loss to us does it to give us the division.

Bills/Miami is coming close to almost being assured to be flexed. 

3 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I was thinking JAX. Don’t want a scenario where jags are in WC with H2H over us… plus a ravens loss keeps them needing to push towards earning the 1 seed…they play bengals week 18 and don’t want them resting starters 

For different reasons I want Jax to win...because I want the Ravens to lose.  If they lose tonight, then they are still trying to win home field advantage for the playoffs....so that means they will be trying to win 100% against the Fins in two weeks.  I want the Fins to lose every game they have left this season.

17 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Do we want JAX or BAL tonight ? 

Baltimore.  Part of the crazy nonsense that all has to happen to keep us at 11 wins is the jags winning 3 or more games lol

And  another part is Baltimore winning only 1

10 minutes ago, Putin said:

I believe AFCE will come down to the Bills @ dolphins  

Hard to see how it doesn’t at this point 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Strange as it sounds, BUF could actually take the #2 seed in the AFC.  They can't pass BAL, as BAL would have the better win % in shared games.

However, if MIA drops one of their next two and we win out, we take the East.  From there KC, JAX, IND and HOU all need to lose one.  That puts us in a tie with KC alone (and we have the head-to-head), while putting us a game ahead of JAX/IND/HOU.  If all that happens, BUF becomes the #2 seed in the AFC.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

OK.......messed around with the Playoff machine and found a way for us to clinch a Playoff spot before the Dolphins game happens.  I am picking games the way I realistically think they could go, not what would be best for us.  If we get some help from some unexpected sources along the way, it may offer more options.  I'm just not counting on them.

Obviously, we have to win the next 2.

WEEK 16

Bengals beat Steelers (Of course we would love it if the Steelers could pull off the upset, but I think the Bengals are going to blow them out)

Colts beat Falcons (Again, go Falcons.  Indi is trash, but they somehow keep lucking their way into wins.  But we will be rooting for this to go the way of the Falcons)

Broncos beat Patriots (It feels dirty rooting for the Pats*, but we could really use them to find a way to beat the Broncos. Just don't see it, though.)

WEEK 17

Raiders beat Colts (This is the one I am stretching on to get to where I want to be.  I think the Colts will probably win but hopefully, we can get the Colts luck to run out.  If everything else stays the same, but the Colts win both of these games against the Falcons and Raiders, we're still at 82%, but no guarantees)

Jags beat Panthers (Go Panthers!  HA HA HA!!!!!)

Broncos beat Chargers (Go Chargers, but it ain't happening)

Chiefs beat Bengals (While we all hate the Chiefs, this is one we need to happen)

WEEK 18

Assuming we win the next 2, there is a good chance this will be your Primetime game as it could likely be for the division or maybe a Playoff spot itself.  I am not sure how they will schedule the other games (the could obviously schedule the other games to happen after this one if the put the Bills and Dolphins on Saturday night), but if we do play after everyone else, here is what we would need to have a spot clinched before the game:

Browns beat Bengals (HUGE ONE HERE......  If it goes the other way, with everything else remaining the same, it brings a lot more teams into it and drops our chanced to just make the Playoffs without winning the Dolphins game to in the 60% range)

Texans beat Colts (Again, this keeps other teams out of the equation)

So, that is how we can clinch a Playoff spot with a win or loss against the Dolphins.  If the Colts keep finding a way to win, that is really bad for us.  Ugh.....they are so bad, but just won't get out of the freaking way and their remaining schedule is cake.  If the Colts beat the Texans in Week 18 or if the Bengals beat the Browns in Week 18, it will be on us to win or we will be having to hope the Raiders beat the Broncos.  In all honesty, we are all Raiders fans from here on out.  They affect multiple games.  Not a great feeling having to rely on that team to win games for us, but it is what it is. 

Obviously, if we win out, we're in and could possibly host a Playoff game.  That is the ideal situation.  But, if you are just looking to find a way to get in, even if we lose that Dolphins game, this is the scenario to make that game meaningless in regards to just getting in the Playoffs.

Edited by sven233
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

We will win the division if we win out. No way Miami wins both against Dallas and Baltimore. 

The way I look at this game, is that it was huge in the sense that it basically guarantees that the week 18 game is for the division as long as we handle our business against the Chagers and Patriots. Without today's win we would have needed the Dolphins to lose both their upcoming games. Still likely but not near the guarantee of splitting. 

I posted this earlier and second guessed myself but Miami has a small chance to have the 1 seed locked up before our game against them if they beat Dallas and Baltimore and Baltimore loses to SF and kc drops another game too lol I’d assume they’d be resting starters then

so even if they somehow beat Baltimore and Dallas there’s still a small chance it helps us lol 

Beating KC and DAL back to back nullifies losing to NE and NYJ. This team is insane. I'm having fun again.

Everybody and their mother called the great Pittsburgh bottom out, no surprise there. I expected the North to cannibalize itself although did not anticipate this Bengals resurgence. They've still got the ho-hum Steelers, Browns, and Chiefs ahead of them so more cannibalization will continue. What an insane season.

Seeing this makes the Patriots loss and the 2 OT losses sting that much more.

If everything else had gone the same way and only one of those 3 winnable games went in the Bills’ favor, they’d be in the 4th seed position with very good chance to move into the 2 seed and an outside chance to get the first. 

• Donuts and Doritos changed the title to AFC Standings, Schedules & Rooting Interests UPDATED 12/18

We have one focus right now: The game in LA! We MUST win that one! Treat it like the Super Bowl. If we lose that, it will forever be the "Nightmare Before Christmas" game. Then we can move on to the next Super Bowl, NE, at home.

STAY FOCUSED PEOPLE, STAY FOCUSED!!!!

We all need to think bigger. Throw 10-7 out. I don’t want that. I don’t want a bunch of scenarios..

Lets go 11-6. We are a freight train now gaining steam.  We win out and we are probably the most talked about team heading into the playoffs. We are probably AFC East champs..

That’s my mindset at least. 

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life
  • Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I just focus on the Bills until the final week. I never thought they’d go 2-1 vs Philly, Dallas, kc. So hopefully they can take care of business vs LA and NE then we see where they’re at.

This, im not interested in reading a book (some of the current post/scenarios) of the Bills making the wildcard).  The way I see it, there are 3 games left and Miami is up by two games, not good.  Win out, see what happens.  We dug a MASSIVE hole to begin the season losing to the Jets, Pats, Broncos, Philly, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, sven233 said:

OK.......messed around with the Playoff machine and found a way for us to clinch a Playoff spot before the Dolphins game happens.  I am picking games the way I realistically think they could go, not what would be best for us.  If we get some help from some unexpected sources along the way, it may offer more options.  I'm just not counting on them.

Obviously, we have to win the next 2.

WEEK 16

Bengals beat Steelers (Of course we would love it if the Steelers could pull off the upset, but I think the Bengals are going to blow them out)

Colts beat Falcons (Again, go Falcons.  Indi is trash, but they somehow keep lucking their way into wins.  But we will be rooting for this to go the way of the Falcons)

Broncos beat Patriots (It feels dirty rooting for the Pats*, but we could really use them to find a way to beat the Broncos. Just don't see it, though.)

WEEK 17

Raiders beat Colts (This is the one I am stretching on to get to where I want to be.  I think the Colts will probably win but hopefully, we can get the Colts luck to run out.  If everything else stays the same, but the Colts win both of these games against the Falcons and Raiders, we're still at 82%, but no guarantees)

Jags beat Panthers (Go Panthers!  HA HA HA!!!!!)

Broncos beat Chargers (Go Chargers, but it ain't happening)

Chiefs beat Bengals (While we all hate the Chiefs, this is one we need to happen)

WEEK 18

Assuming we win the next 2, there is a good chance this will be your Primetime game as it could likely be for the division or maybe a Playoff spot itself.  I am not sure how they will schedule the other games (the could obviously schedule the other games to happen after this one if the put the Bills and Dolphins on Saturday night), but if we do play after everyone else, here is what we would need to have a spot clinched before the game:

Browns beat Bengals (HUGE ONE HERE......  If it goes the other way, with everything else remaining the same, it brings a lot more teams into it and drops our chanced to just make the Playoffs without winning the Dolphins game to in the 60% range)

Texans beat Colts (Again, this keeps other teams out of the equation)

So, that is how we can clinch a Playoff spot with a win or loss against the Dolphins.  If the Colts keep finding a way to win, that is really bad for us.  Ugh.....they are so bad, but just won't get out of the freaking way and their remaining schedule is cake.  If the Colts beat the Texans in Week 18 or if the Bengals beat the Browns in Week 18, it will be on us to win or we will be having to hope the Raiders beat the Broncos.  In all honesty, we are all Raiders fans from here on out.  They affect multiple games.  Not a great feeling having to rely on that team to win games for us, but it is what it is. 

Obviously, if we win out, we're in and could possibly host a Playoff game.  That is the ideal situation.  But, if you are just looking to find a way to get in, even if we lose that Dolphins game, this is the scenario to make that game meaningless in regards to just getting in the Playoffs.

to clinch WC before week 18…

Buffalo WW

Only 2 other WC position teams have a 9-6 record or better ( Cleveland + another team) or CLE is 9+ wins, and HOU and IND are both 9-7 heading into week 18.  Thus only 2 other teams can get to 10+ wins innWC position.  Or CLE goes LL , CIN can be 9-7.  
CLE/CIN and HOU/IND face each other in week 18. If all are 9-7 then only 2 can get to 10 wins.

all others are 8-8 or worse 

PIT L a game 

CIN L both, or L one if CLE go LL

DEN need to L a game 

HOU L a game And IND L a game or JAX go LL— only 2 teams in south can get to 10+ wins

Edited by djp14150

16 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

If PIT can just beat CIN next Saturday before our game, we will control our own destiny by game time.  Won’t be easy for

Browning coming into PIT to try and win.

Maybe a little mad too on defense that safety was suspended 

2 minutes ago, GreenDice said:

I don't fully understand Cowboys' playoff picture. Do we want Eagles to lose tonight to motivate Dallas next week against the Dolphins? Thanks in advance.

That is a psychological question not a math question, because they are still alive for division either way at end of game. So I am rooting for Seahawks

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.