AFC Standings, schedules, & Rooting Interests FINAL 1/7/24 BILLS 2 Seed!

Donuts and Doritos

To get a handle on rooting interests for the playoffs race, here's the current AFC standings with the remaining schedules for the Bills & the teams they're competing against for a playoff spot. (I'll update weekly)

(* = division leaders) (x = clinched playoffs, y= clinched wild card, z = clinched division, $ = clinched division & bye, e = eliminated) (+ = win over Bills) (overall record followed by conference record shown) (games bolded when 2 teams in the mix play each other).

AFC Standings 1/7/24:

Team    Recrd      Conf 

1. $ Ravens (13-4)*     (8-4)

2. z  Bills (11-6)            (7-5)

3. z Chiefs (10-6)*       (8-3)

4. z Texans (10-7)        (7-5)

5. y Browns (11-5)       (8-3)

6. x Dolphins (11-6)*   (7-5)

7.  x Steelers (10-7)     (7-5)

8.   e  Bengals (8-8) + (3-8)

9.  e  Jaguars (9-8)* +  (6-6)

10. e  Colts (9-8)           (7-5)

11. e  Broncos (8-8) +  (5-6)

STEELERS:

@ Ravens            W. 17-10

COLTS:

v. Texans             L. 19-23

JAGUARS:

@ Titans               L. 20-28

BILLS:

@ Dolphins           W. 21-14

Edited by Donuts and Doritos
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 10

I feel like this happens every season with playoff races. There are always pretenders who somehow are in seemingly great spots late November, but will remember that they are pretenders down the stretch.

Also, every year a team or teams make a crazy surge and end up in the tournament, even when it was seemingly impossible. 

Last year it was (almost) Green Bay. They were TOAST at this point. It was if this, and this, and this, and that happens... Basically no shot, even if they won out. 

And by week 18 all they had to do was win at home vs the Lions and they would have been in. They didn't, but they went from a .sub 500 team with no shot to controlling their own destiny in the final week of the season. 

I see the Browns dropping, along with the Colts. Maybe even the Steelers. 

The Steelers could 100% lose to the Cardinals this week. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

Keep in mind, nobody but the very top wins ALL the games they are supposed to win. It just doesn’t happen.  Miami has managed to do it so far but i refuse to believe they will win every game they are favored in.  No way. Nor will the other wild card wannabes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I think the Bills get in. I think we can win the next two games and then the rest are games we'd be favored in or even (Dolphin's would b 3 at home but that is even). We will run the table.  We will beat the Chiefs. Cowboys is my only question mark. But it is at home in the cold. If it coms to win and in vs Dolphins, we ain't losing. Furthermore, I can see Dolphins losing to Dallas, Ravens and us and we get the division. Last week was like the halftime in Tampa two years ago. I think this team goes into refuse to lose mode and the worst of the luck and the bad refereeing won't keep going on. Just my hunch. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Notice WIN over AFC leader is NOT mentioned.  Obviously only losses of Bills are important.

On 11/29/2023 at 1:32 PM, Donuts and Doritos said:

To get a handle on rooting interests for the playoffs race, here's the current AFC standings with the remaining schedules for the Bills & the teams they're competing against for a playoff spot. (I'll update weekly)

(* = division leaders) (+ = win over Bills) (overall record followed by conference record shown) (games bolded when 2 teams in the mix play each other).

AFC Standings 11/29/23:

Team    Recrd      Conf 

1. Ravens (9-3)*      (6-3)

2. Chiefs (8-3)*       (6-1)

3. Jaguars (8-3)* + (6-2)

4. Dolphins (8-3)*   (6-2)

5. Steelers (7-4)      (5-3)

6. Browns (7-4)       (5-3)

7. Colts (6-5)           (4-3)

8. Texans (6-5)       (3-3)

9. Broncos (6-5) + (3-4)

10. Bills (6-6)          (3-5)

DOLPHINS:

@ Commanders  (12/3 @ 1)

v. Titans              (12/11 @ 8:15)

v. Jets                 (12/17 @ 1)

v. Cowboys        (12/24 @ 4:25)

@ Ravens           (12/31 @ 1)

v. Bills                 (TBD)

STEELERS:

v. Arizona            (12/3 @ 1)

v. Pats                 (12/7 @ 8:15)

@ Colts               (12/17 @ TBD)

v. Bengals           (12/23 @ 4:30)

@ Seahawks       (12/31 @ 4:05)

@ Ravens            (TBD)

BROWNS:

@ Rams               (12/3 @ 4:25)

v. Jaguars           (12/10 @ 1)

v. Bears               (12/17 @ TBD)

@ Texans            (12/24 @ 1)

v. Jets                  (12/28 @ 8:15)

@ Bengals           (TBD)

COLTS:

@ Titans              (12/3 @ 1)

@ Bengals           (12/10 @ 1)

v. Steelers           (12/17 @ TBD)

@ Falcons            (12/24 @ 1)

v. Raiders             (12/31 @ 1)

v. Texans             (1/7 @ TBD)

TEXANS:

v. Broncos            (12/3 @ 1)

@ Jets                   (12/10 @ 1)

@ Titans               (12/17 @ 1)

v. Browns             (12/24 @ 1)

v. Titans               (12/31 @ 1)

@ Colts                (2/7 TBD)

BRONCOS:

@ Texans             (12/3 @ 1)

@ Chargers          (12/10 @ 4:25)

@ Lions                 (12/17 @ TBD)

v. Pats                   (12/24 @ 8:15)

v. Chargers           (12/31 @ 4:25)

@ Raiders             (1/7 TBD)

BILLS:

BYE                       (12/3)

@ Chiefs               (12/10 @ 4:25)

v. Cowboys          (12/17 @ 4:25)

@ Chargers          (12/23 @ 8:00)

v. Pats                   (12/31 @ 1)

@ Dolphins           (1/7 TBD)

If the Bills don't make it (and it's looking rough right now) they'd be quite possibly the highest rated team by DVOA to miss out.  A really good team, on the wrong side of every bounce, the wrong side of every little coaches decision, the wrong side of untimely turnovers and missed field goals.  All at the worst possible time every time.  Amazing.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 6

2 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

If the Bills don't make it (and it's looking rough right now) they'd be quite possibly the highest rated team by DVOA to miss out.  A really good team, on the wrong side of every bounce, the wrong side of every little coaches decision, the wrong side of untimely turnovers and missed field goals.  All at the worst possible time every time.  Amazing.

Cheers for dropping by to make us feel better …

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 6

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

The Bills would be the last team you want to play this year in the playoffs right? 

Absolutely!  As a Chiefs fan, I am rooting hard for the Broncos (Complete frauds) to get in.  For Cleveland (no QB) to get in, and would be happy to MISS Buffalo altogether.  The Bills would be the most dangerous 7th seed ever.  Imagine being the 2 seed...let's say it's the Jags, Ravens, Dolphins or Chiefs and the Bills are the 7.  That would be something.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Zerovoltz said:

Absolutely!  As a Chiefs fan, I am rooting hard for the Broncos (Complete frauds) to get in.  For Cleveland (no QB) to get in, and would be happy to MISS Buffalo altogether.  The Bills would be the most dangerous 7th seed ever.  Imagine being the 2 seed...let's say it's the Jags, Ravens, Dolphins or Chiefs and the Bills are the 7.  That would be something.

Perhaps I read it wrong earlier  … but there is no sympathy about missed FGs and bad coaching right? 

If positions were reversed… how would I be received on the Chiefs cesspit boards? 

I would guess it wouldn't be taken well.  I would also guess you'd not be visiting to make new friends etc.  In this case, I admire the Bills.  I enjoy watching the Bills and Josh Allen.  Fun to watch.  Allen is a great player.  I've been enjoying the Bills and Allen for a while now.  Not that ANY of that matters....

I'd like to see the Bills win a Super Bowl.  I really wish in a way that 13 seconds didn't ever happen.  We ended up losing to the Bengals the next week anyhow...and I think the Bills were at the absolute peak of their power when that happend.  I have now doubt the Bills would have won that SB and I would have been cheering them on.  

The Bills would be the most difficult obstacle in the way to KC winning anohter AFC title if they made it in.  (not that KC won't have a loss in the playoffs anyhow or that it's a forgone conclusion we make it)  

If hte Bills get in...and they play the Chiefs..I'll look forward to the game and welcome that the game will be challenge.  And if the Bills were to get in and KC didn't make the SB and the Bills did, I'd root for the Bills.....

But yeah...I am here on a BIlls board...saying I'm glad about a very very stong Bills team not making it to the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.