Jets Officially Open Rodgers 21 Day Window. Back to Practice.

BuffaloBillyG

Rodgers is going to show up to practice, throw some footballs around, never play a snap this year or have any intention or ability to do so, and then claim the dolphin ****ing healing powers healed him and that the only reason he didn't play was because the jets weren't in playoff contention. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 7
  • Haha (+1) 2

There is no way the Jets should play him. What would he be coming back to. Their season is over as they are playing meaningless games again. There is no way his Achillies can be fully healed in 3 months. A 40-year-old playing behind that OL. What could go wrong.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Just now, Process said:

Rodgers is going to show up to practice, throw some footballs around, never play a snap this year or have any intention or ability to do so, and then claim the dolphin ****ing healing powers healed him and that the only reason he didn't play was because the jets weren't in playoff contention. 

OR, actually play, and then tear the same Achilles again 😎

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1

There's no way he 'ruptured' his achilles how fast he came back and was doing stuff on it - IMO was hugely oversold to push a heroic return narrative

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

OR, actually play, and then tear the same Achilles again 😎

I mean if he is going to force himself into the field that's good for us. I've seen six month minimums cited for non contact sports.

If he pushes it in less than 3 he is going to seriously injure himself and it's all his fault

he's going to return to play I think

Honestly, it's a cool story, but returning in the same season is only possible under a very specific set of conditions:

1. The injury happens pre-season, week 1, or at the latest week 2

2. You have the speed bridge surgery and everything goes perfectly in healing and rehab without setbacks or infections

3. You accept the risk of coming back so soon (more likely for an older player near the end of his career than a young guy with 10+ seasons left)

4. You make your life 100% about rehab 24/7 and have a laser focus on coming back in season

5. You play a position where this is possible. It's easier for a QB on his non plant leg than a WR, DB, etc. 

6. A lot of good luck as you ramp everything up. One 2-3 week setback means you miss the window at the end of the season. 

For the vast majority of guys, they are hurt enough into the season that even the Rodgers plan wouldn't work because there's not enough runway. So this will never become "the norm" but I could see guys getting healthy faster and ABLE to plan sooner, even if it's March instead of June. That's still huge for the person. 

Don't forget that Rodgers life is football. Kirk Cousins is going to rehab, for sure, but he's also going to get some extra time in with his wife and kids and enjoy the holidays a bit more than normal. He'll be ready next summer for training camp, and that's the normal timeline.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Just now, SCBills said:

Not sure why this bothers so many people.  Pretty cool to see him even just back on a practice field this early. 

I have grown to like Rodgers since he went heel. It's entertainment at the end of the day. 

I don't see how anyone can question the guy's toughness or passion for the game. Trying to come back from an achilles in the same season is nuts. 

Guys in other sports have done it in 3 months here and there, but it's rare. Mostly (IMO) because most injuries occur mid-season where rushing it is pointless anyways. 

3 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I have grown to like Rodgers since he went heel. It's entertainment at the end of the day. 

I don't see how anyone can question the guy's toughness or passion for the game. Trying to come back from an achilles in the same season is nuts. 

Guys in other sports have done it in 3 months here and there, but it's rare. Mostly (IMO) because most injuries occur mid-season where rushing it is pointless anyways. 

What is going heel? Just saying the opposite of what everyone says to be a contrarian? He thinks it’s the smartest guy in the world. I don’t root for injuries but it would kind of serve him right. I torn my Achilles and while I didn’t get his care, it’s insane to think about pushing off on it this early. 

that said, he still would be better than Wilson. But as others have said, he is just keeping his name in the news because he loves the attention. He won’t take a meaningful snap this year because he would get killed behind that line. There’s a reason his family doesn’t talk to him. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm convinced this is tied to a stipulation in the contract, or a contract he has with a sponsor,  where he has to be active for a specific number of games, not necessarily "play" in said games.  

I don't think it has anything at all to do with the Jets and the playoffs.  That's the cover story.  If the Jets at all cared about the playoffs, they would have done something at the QB besides Wilson/Boyle.  

You know what this reminds me of? TO and his broken ankle while in Philly. He kept telling everyone he would be back for the SB and he made it back for the SB. When Philly lost, it was all "I told you I would be back. Did you see my performance tonight?," and nothing about his team losing the game. I feel like Rodgers' ego is on the same level, if not worse. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On one hand I think this is all just a stunt to try and keep the Jets lockerroom interested a few weeks longer (especially the defense), but if the Jets beat the Falcons at home this week they would have some new life and could be a factor in ultimately determining the AFC Wildcard and playoff picture with games left against the Dolphins, Texans and Browns.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

There's no way he 'ruptured' his achilles how fast he came back and was doing stuff on it - IMO was hugely oversold to push a heroic return narrative

You can still play with torn ligaments. This isn't about some "heroic" narrative. It's about his contract, bonuses, and the perception of health for future dealings.

20 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

You can still play with torn ligaments. This isn't about some "heroic" narrative. It's about his contract, bonuses, and the perception of health for future dealings.

Achilles is a tendon - you can't play with a ruptured one. 

His injury did not affect his contract - ie. he doesn't need to come back this year to earn any bonus

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nfl/how-does-aaron-rodgers-season-ending-injury-impact-his-jets-contract-heres-a-breakdown/506346/

How much guaranteed money does Aaron Rodgers have for 2023?

Rodgers' contract gave him $75 million fully guaranteed, which includes his salary and signing bonus for 2023 and 2024.

So, even with the season-ending injury, nothing changed with Rodgers' contract for this season and the next. The four-time MVP, who turns 40 in December, will be under contract for the Jets in 2024 unless he decides to retire.

He has his contract through next year - seriously doubt this is about 'future dealings'.  It's about playing to public perception and him staying in the spotlight

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, H2o said:

You know what this reminds me of? TO and his broken ankle while in Philly. He kept telling everyone he would be back for the SB and he made it back for the SB. When Philly lost, it was all "I told you I would be back. Did you see my performance tonight?," and nothing about his team losing the game. I feel like Rodgers' ego is on the same level, if not worse. 

Agree, it’s his chance to stay relevant and get attention.  Notice how he is on the sideline for the game in Vegas, or New Jersey on Black Friday, but skips out on a trip to Buffalo.  I will be very surprised if he does play the rest of this season, and can then just say the Jets were out of playoff contention so there was no reason to, but can say he could have if it had been needed.

17 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Agree, it’s his chance to stay relevant and get attention.  Notice how he is on the sideline for the game in Vegas, or New Jersey on Black Friday, but skips out on a trip to Buffalo.  I will be very surprised if he does play the rest of this season, and can then just say the Jets were out of playoff contention so there was no reason to, but can say he could have if it had been needed.

He is all about getting attention… just like Saleh.

3 hours ago, H2o said:

In TO's defense, if McNabb wasn't still drunk and unable to run the no huddle offense, TO would have been Super Bowl MVP. He was a beast that game and went all out to ensure he was back. McNabb let the team down.

2 minutes ago, jlgarsh said:

In TO's defense, if McNabb wasn't still drunk and unable to run the no huddle offense, TO would have been Super Bowl MVP. He was a beast that game and went all out to ensure he was back. McNabb let the team down.

I thought he was puking because he was weak :lol: And yes, TO was out there ballin. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

So, let him work out for 3 weeks and not activate him? Maybe he comes back and the Jets steal one from the Dolphins? 

Rodgers has been saying he wants to return this season but on McAfee he said it will depend on his health and where the Jets are in the playoffs. So I’m skeptical he actually returns this season.  

If he does it will be the dumbest risk Rodgers or the Jets have ever taken.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

Rodgers has been saying he wants to return this season but on McAfee he said it will depend on his health and where the Jets are in the playoffs. So I’m skeptical he actually returns this season.  

If he does it will be the dumbest risk Rodgers or the Jets have ever taken.  

depends on his health.....brilliant....most players playing status depends on their health

3 hours ago, H2o said:

Speaking of that, the fact that TO played in the SB is incredible.  Not just that he played but also his performance.  It’s too bad Philadelphia lost because it would have been one of the greatest legends in sports.  

Of course unlike Rodgers, TO actually had something to play for

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, H2o said:

I thought he was puking because he was weak :lol: And yes, TO was out there ballin. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/09/sports/football/mcnabb-said-to-be-ill-at-end-of-the-super-bowl.html

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/terrell-owens-reignites-feud-with-donovan-mcnabb-says-he-wants-to-knock-the-chunky-soup-out-of-former-qb/

He and McNabb snipe at each other in the media every so often. They hate each other. I guess McNabb was known to be a huge partier throughout college/NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

All a publicity stunt.  If this dude gets in a game this season, he wouldn’t last a play.  The media eating it up is just as ridiculous.  Saleh is trying to sell hope and save his job.  And Rodgers just wants attention.  Let’s see him run some sprints, and do some hard dropbacks where he has to plant and then avoid a rush.  Everyone is out of the boot after 6-8 weeks following achilles surgery.  

3 hours ago, stevewin said:

His injury did not affect his contract - ie. he doesn't need to come back this year to earn any bonus

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nfl/how-does-aaron-rodgers-season-ending-injury

3 hours ago, stevewin said:

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nfl/how-does-aaron-rodgers-season-ending-injury-impact-his-jets-contract-heres-a-breakdown/506346/

He has his contract through next year - seriously doubt this is about 'future dealings'.  It's about playing to public perception and him staying in the spotlight

-impact-his-jets-contract-heres-a-breakdown/506346/

He's in the spotlight anyway and he does the podcast and media stuff still.

He has a contract, but that doesn't mean he can't still be cut. His playing future is not guaranteed at all for the Jets or anyone else. If the perception is that he's an old, injured, washed up QB, that changes the Jets' mindset going forward. That changes the league's mindset on him. The Jets or any other team that needs a QB could bring in a healthy young guy in the off-season if they perceive Rodgers as an old QB who's injury prone and can't heal.

This is not about being in the spotlight, it's just about keeping up the perception that Rodgers is not done and he's still the man for the Jets or any other team that enters the mix.

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.