McD on late game decisions - "Hindsight is always 20/20"

HomeskillitMoorman

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/sean-mcdermott-on-questioning-late-game-decisions-hindsight-is-always-20-20

This guy does not get it. At all. 

No, it's not hindsight. It's being prepared for late game situations. He's not prepared for them after 7 years on the top job and after 22 years of coaching in the NFL. 

I have never seen anyone take on less accountability than this clown. Who will the next scapegoat be? 

I'm not sure at this point who I dislike more, McD the coach or McD the human being. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 11
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5
  • Dislike 2

It's like he's not ready for these obvious questions from the media and gives the worst answer possible. 

Sort of like how he is at high pressure situations in game, I'm seeing some parallels. 

Edited by Bruffalo
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/sean-mcdermott-on-questioning-late-game-decisions-hindsight-is-always-20-20

No, it's not hindsight. It's being prepared for late game situations. He's not prepared for them after 7 years on the top job and after 22 years of coaching in the NFL. 

I have never seen anyone take on less accountability than this clown. Who will the next scapegoat be? 

I'm not sure at this point who I dislike more, McD the coach or McD the human being. 

Why would you dislike McD as a human being?  You literally dont know the guy personally.  

• Like (+1) 9
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, pigpen65 said:

He's painted himself into a corner now with his calling TO's to give the opposing offense time to think. Absolutely 100% it it's costing the Bills wins, but he can't stop doing it because stopping doing it would prove himself wrong for having done it. 

I mean it’s certainly gone bad but a defensive timeout led to a huge 3rd down stop to keep Philly in fringe field goal range they just hit an absolute bomb.

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

Did he really say that? lol

He was dumb to throw away a timeout to "ice" the kicker.

I wouldnt have played for OT with 20 secs and a timeout....but I get why he did.

We should have had 2 timeouts and 20 seconds and he would have gone for the win. 

If youre gonna play for OT and take it to OT.....at least dont be that soft on defense....my god. Pathetic mentality. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Why would you dislike McD as a human being?  You literally dont know the guy personally.  

Because everything with him is deflecting accountability. It's the fault of his coordinators, bad luck, or in this case it's just hindsight.

It's not like you can be prepared for late game management scenarios. Oh wait...yes you can.

For example, if you were down 4 with 1 minute left and no timeouts and it was 4th and 1 at the goal line and you decided to take a field goal and attempt an onside kick and it doesn't work...it's not hindsight to say it was horrible game management. It would have been horrible game management even if it worked. And I would say it for the other way around too. I have disliked McD for a long time but I defended him when we went for it on 4th and goal, down 3, with 1 second left or whatever it was vs the Titans a couple of years ago when we didn't get it. It didn't work out, but it was absolutely the right call to go for it there. That's what you do as a Head Coach, put your team in the best position to succeed. 

But questioning these decisions isn't Hindsight like he said, it's just being prepared for them. He rarely ever is and he makes the same mistakes over and over and over again and has been for 7 years now. 

Yes, I don't like someone that tries to pawn off accountability onto others and to completely deflect from themselves for their own horrific decisions. It's not a good character trait. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, pigpen65 said:

He's painted himself into a corner now with his calling TO's to give the opposing offense time to think. Absolutely 100% it it's costing the Bills wins, but he can't stop doing it because stopping doing it would prove himself wrong for having done it. 

He doesn't think well on his feet in pressure situations.  That's why he uses the timeouts.  I don't think it's a philosophy or strategy or anything.  He just doesn't trust himself and his players to make the right call or play under pressure.  We all know people like this (or we may even be that guy).  That's why you see these asinine late game timeouts that seemingly help the opposition more than us, and see a future HOF quarterback with 350 yards and 4 TDs already under his belt kneeling out the clock with 20 seconds and 1 time out in a MUST WIN GAME.  This panicked loser mentality undoubtedly rubs off on the players. 

Can you imagine Allen and these guys under a truly confident, decisive and ballsy leader? 

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

I wouldnt have played for OT with 20 secs and a timeout....but I get why he did.

We should have had 2 timeouts and 20 seconds and he would have gone for the win. 

If youre gonna play for OT and take it to OT.....at least dont be that soft on defense....my god. Pathetic mentality. 

He played so damn soft in OT.  You could almost sense he would have been satisfied with a tie.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Even with one TO you've got to at least try one pass there. If you pick up 15-20 yards, you take the timeout and have at least one if not two tries to get another 15-20 where you then spike the ball and try the kick. 

Can't agree with that decision. Even if Gabe had ran the correct read in OT and caught the winning touchdown, I'd still say he was wrong to pass up the chance to win with 20 seconds left. 

Edited by Yobogoya!
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

Even with one TO you've got to at least try one pass there. If you pick up 15-20 yards, you take the timeout and have at least one if not two tries to get another 15-20 where you then spike the ball and try the kick. 

Can't agree with that decision. Even if Gabe had ran the correct read in OT and caught the winning touchdown, I'd still say he was wrong to pass up the chance to win with 20 seconds left. 

Bingo. 

You have one of the best quarterbacks in the world at your disposal and the message you’re sending him is “thanks, but my defense has got this.”

I’m sure he was thinking about things that could go wrong during those 20 seconds ….strip sack, pick, etc. So instead of winning he coached not to lose.   And then he lost. Again. 

We have lost games in the past with Josh having the ball in his hands …Tennessee comes to mind.  But we’ve won more games with him having the ball in his hands at the end than we have relying on the defense to close it out. 

McDermott will never change.  And we will never take the next step with him in charge.  It took a long time for me to get to this point.  That’s why I’m so confident in what I just said. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

“Sean, a pattern has emerged the past couple of seasons.  In high pressure situations in the final couple of minutes of the 4th quarter, or OT, when the team has the opportunity to solidify a win,  the team is consistently on the losing end.  With having the luxury of hindsight, and a number game determining scenarios to reflect upon over the past 18 months, what has been an area of growth, or improvement you’ve identified to help rectify this teams shortcomings at the end of 1 score games?”

If I was allowed to ask a follow up question. 

I’d have all the stats to back up what I’m saying, and wouldn’t let it go until an answer was given on what they were doing to improve. Mistakes happen, we all grow from them.  We all adapt and change professionally, and personally.  How are we getting better at what we do?  Every year I have to change the way I’m doing business to make sure I’m still relevant, and helping ppl solve problems.  What growth have we seen with this team over the past 24 months? 

Edited by YodaMan79
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

32 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Yeah as a human being generally what we've seen from him which take it for what you will as they're all observations from way outside he seems like a pretty good guy that cares about his players and staff.

As a coach, how about some ***** foresight.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BRH said:

I’m sure he was thinking about things that could go wrong during those 20 seconds ….strip sack, pick, etc. So instead of winning he coached not to lose.   And then he lost. Again. 

Yep, exactly. 

Thing is, all of those things can happen in overtime as well. If you can't execute and score the needed points, you're losing the game whether there's 20 seconds on the clock or 10 minutes. At some point you've got to man up and play for the win, especially with a top QB. No excuse. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Seriously.  He’s super intense and unapproachable in public.  But that doesn’t mean he’s a bad guy at all.  He probably just has everyone up his butt asking him about every blessed thing all the time and he likes to be left alone.  His job performance and his humanity are two completely different things. 

43 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

He doesn’t get it?

Fans who think you’ll get anything more than coach talk in press conferences don’t get it. 

He owes you and the reporters zero answers. 

• Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

"Hindsight is always 20/20"

IF you’re trying to deflect from the reality of being an 84% LOSER in OT! (1 for 6)

McClapper has been loooong unmasked. He is one of the worst end of game HCs! Bills fans know given a 50/50 choice on what to do in a critical moment, he will always, always FUBAR it.

Take the lead up to the improbable but Billsy 59 yard FG.

You are a moron to call a TO, because:

a) You want Philly to rush to try and beat the Time Clock!

b) You want to save ALL available TOs ( if they do make it)so that your super freak QB can take THREE plays… remember that… in 20 seconds to come back with your winning FG or Hail Mary!

Bills fans 100% know he will do the wrong thing- ALWAYS!

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Terry Pegula is the only one who can fix this. I doubt anything happens now but if the Bills miss the playoffs, then he has to do something. 

I dunno. Even if they miss the playoffs, he really doesn’t have to do anything....the NFL gold mine money will still keep rolling in.

Now, if he hopes to sell PSLs and season tickets, then for sure, before that shiny new ice bowl opens up, he'll probably have to do something.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Seriously.  He’s super intense and unapproachable in public.  But that doesn’t mean he’s a bad guy at all.  He probably just has everyone up his butt asking him about every blessed thing all the time and he likes to be left alone.  His job performance and his humanity are two completely different things. 

Is he?

Boy fan anger over this latest loss is near an all time high.  I already experienced my max frustration after the Mac Jones career day he had versus us a few weeks ago, I have since been talked off the ledge.

4 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

I dunno. Even if they miss the playoffs, he really doesn’t have to do anything....the NFL gold mine money will still keep rolling in.

Now, if he hopes to sell PSLs and season tickets, then for sure, before that shiny new ice bowl opens up, he'll probably have to do something.

The Bills will probably ask for fans to put a deposit down on PSL's in 2025 even though the stadium opens in 2026. The Jets and Giants did that when they moved to MetLife. 

If hindsight is 20/20, then McDermott needs a new optometrist, because HE is certainly not learning from his mistakes. 

I think he comes into the game extremely well prepared..look at the first half last night...then as the game goes on and you need to make further adjustments on the fly, he is unable to keep up.

It almost feels like a tidal wave overwhelming him in the fourth quarter..playing not to lose/soft zone/ill placed time outs and blitzes..and it comes back to bite him over and over.

Think:   Jets OT, Pats, Broncos, Giants(should have been a loss), and now Eagles.

What's the old definition of insanity?..doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.

Edited by Rich Stadium Original

21 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

My kid went to football camp with his son.    He happened to walk up and stand next to me while the kids were doing drills.   I chatted with him for a few minutes.  Didnt find him unapproachable or intense.  Then again I wasnt asking him for an autograph, a picture, or why he doesnt win games in overtime.  Tend to find if you treat people like human beings there isnt an issue.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

He doesn’t get it?

Fans who think you’ll get anything more than coach talk in press conferences don’t get it. 

He owes you and the reporters zero answers. 

I disagree, Donald. 

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.