11/26/23 Week #12 GAMEDAY Bills at Eagles Pregame Thread

Chandler#81

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Buffalo is not beating KC unless our offense shows it has returned today. Allen will be under distress all day long. 

Maxx Crosby is the only pass rusher Raiders have and he is out today. 

These kind of comments are the worst.  Maybe not THE worst, but d** close.  

“if we have a bad game vs team A, then we can’t beat team B”.  It’s as if you don’t know that you’re talking about NFL games.  It’s not a computer.  There is no science to it.  Any.  Given.  Sunday.  Pal.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

These kind of comments are the worst.  Maybe not THE worst, but d** close.  

“if we have a bad game vs team A, then we can’t beat team B”.  It’s as if you don’t know that you’re talking about NFL games.  It’s not a computer.  There is no science to it.  Any.  Given.  Sunday.  Pal.  

There are two scenarios here, based on that logic:

Bills beat Jets Jets beat Eagles Bills beat Eagles

Jets beat Bills Jets beat Eagles... (Bills or Eagles?)

19 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Temps in the mid 40s and 90% chance of rain from 4-7pm…..probably not gonna be a big passing day, but I guess we’ll see. Go Bills!

Oh, that's not good. We'd have to rely on Cook/Murray against the league's number 1 rushing defense.

National Weather Service "Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible." That's a nothing burger weather wise. Let's hope they're right.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

The offensive line has been very good.  If they continue to stay with running the ball Allen should be fine and have enough time to operate in the pocket.  obviously blocking chris jones becomes the key element.

yea it stinks that crosby is out but I still think this raiders team can hang in there for a little bit if they do not give the ball up early.  I guess I am just being hopeful all these afc teams lose today.

Raiders are going to get boat-raced.

13 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

What teams we should pull for today and why.

https://x.com/uberhansen/status/1728740335873089915?s=61

haha, the three Thanksgiving games and the Black Friday game have already gone counter to the Bills’ interests. 😫

39 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

Today is the Bills version of Custer's last stand. Unfortunately I think it's going to end

about the same. Looking forward to some big changes for next year.

wait… are we George Custer in this analogy???  Or the Native Americans?  

Looking for some numbers to hang my hat on:

1. Since the beginning of of the 2022 season (over 1400 games), the team that had the higher passer rating in a game won 80% of the games (aside, pass and stop the pass being the key to winning in the NFL)
  2. In 2023 The Bills have had five games where the other team had a higher passer rating.  The Bills lost all five of these games. 
  3. In 2023 The Eagles have also had five games where the other team had a higher passer rating. The Eagles won four of these games. 

One possible conclusion.  The Eagles are very good at overcoming a weak passing/pass defense game. And the Bills are very bad at that.  I reject this conclusion for game day. 

Alternative conclusion.  The Bills should really be 7-4 and have had poor luck, and the Eagles really should be 6-4, and the Eagles have just been super lucky. Further today will see the regression towards the mean of this luck factor, and the Bills will win the game in a blowout.  :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

What teams we should pull for today and why.

https://x.com/uberhansen/status/1728740335873089915?s=61

I have multiple ML parlays going today that consist of a mix of Eagles, Texans, Steelers and Broncos winning. We can be assured at least one of these four teams will lose. 

5 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I think another record may fall today re: #17

https://x.com/uberhansen/status/1728799317274644773?s=61

I don't have a stat head subscription anymore so I can't be 100% certain but I am close to certain that Allen already holds the record for consecutive 40+ TD seasons at 3. He's on pace for this 4th this year as well. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Unforgiven said:

Today is the Bills version of Custer's last stand. Unfortunately I think it's going to end

about the same. Looking forward to some big changes for next year.

Which side are we on??

17 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

I think it just comes down to the trenches like most games. If we can hold our own on both lines, there’s a very good chance we win. If we get dominated on either one it’s going to be a very long day. 

Our front 4, whoever they are at any point, have to get pressure. I know that’s a constant in every game but Hurts did diabolical in KC when under it. Force them to play ugly in multiple games back to back and I definitely don’t think they come out with the win. 

Edited by BBFL
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

I think it just comes down to the trenches like most games. If we can hold our own on both lines, there’s a very good chance we win. If we get dominated on either one it’s going to be a very long day. 

Pretty much agree. The Eagles are the number 1 rush defense because of their D-line.  They also generate a lot of pass rush.  Find a way to run and give just an extra second is key.  

Conversely,our D-line needs to pressure Hurts while containing the edges.    

That and win the turnover battle.   

It’s just that simple.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

A win today would be a top 3 regular season win for McDermott. Not impossible but man it’s going to take all we have. We need that looseness from Josh or we got no shot. Can not come out here tight or afraid to make mistakes. We need the covid year Seahawk/Ram Josh. Just letting it fly but not afraid of danger. Also we need his legs. There’s No tomorrow if we lose this game. The room for error got wasted on not being able to count against Denver. Play a lot of 3 LB sets on defense, do not let these guys get you on your heels with the run. You have to make Hurts beat you to the outside with the pass. We can get this one but we need all we got. Absolutely can’t afford to be firing at 75%. Might need a no punt day.

Todays game will truly define this team.No more excuses, no McD questionable calls/timeouts. You are right… need a top 3 regular season win.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, boater said:

Oh, that's not good. We'd have to rely on Cook/Murray against the league's number 1 rushing defense.

I think this is one of those "let's look under the hood" statistics.  The Eagles are #12 in the league, not #1, for yards per attempt.  So being #1 in yards per game suggests to me that teams may do OK when they run, but aren't running very much on them.

The league average Y/G given up is 111.5.  The Eagles just gave up 168 rush yards against the Chiefs, who are #14 for rush yards per game.  Many of the teams the Eagles have faced have not had good run games (at this point in the season where they've played 9-10 other teams) - Patriots are #26, Vikes are #27, Bucs are #32, Commanders (played twice) are #24, Rams #21, Jets #28.  The good running teams the Eagles have faced are the Cowboys (#12) - held to 73 rush yards - the Dolphins (#2) - held to 45 rush yards. 

I could be wrong because I haven't watched them that much, but I think the Dolphins are #1 in rushing offense, paradoxically, isn't that they rely on the run that much (they're like #10 for number of attempts), but more they have speed; concern for Hill and Waddle gives them running opportunities and once Mostert or Achane get out in space, they're gone giving the Dolphins a high # Y/A.  It's also still a bit skewed by them having a ridiculous 350 rush yards against the Broncos and 222 against the Giants.  Or maybe I'm just salty over having to hear whatever announcer it was gush about the perfections of the Dolphins offense.

Anyway, obviously games played against the Eagles where they couldn't run is part of what made the other teams lower rush YPG teams, my point is that it's not like the Eagles have been shutting down the Ravens, Browns, and 49ers run games.  They've been handling the run against teams like the Jets, Patriots, Bucs and Commanders who don't run very much or very well, or teams like the Vikes and Giants  who run a fair bit but aren't very good at it this season.

But they also did shut down the Cowboys and Dolphins, to give them their propers.  I'm not saying they're paper tigers against the rush, at all, but I think they aren't as dominating as the #1 for Y/G stat suggests - teams get behind and don't run on them so much, I think.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

Todays game will truly define this team.No more excuses, no McD questionable calls/timeouts. You are right… need a top 3 regular season win.

we don’t “need” to win today, but we’d probably have to run the table the last five games in order to make the playoffs if we lose today.  That would be a pretty tall order.

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Well, you aren't wrong. One of the things I love about how Philly does it is that they all move in unison. It's one large pile that is uniform in movement. 

I think one issue is that teams try and over power the play. Meat on meat so to speak. If the Bills can time the snap well they have the speed up front to quickly penetrate. Someone like Ed can slice in. It's not about being a better DL than they have faced. I think ours may give them a bit more of a matchup issue. 

This would also be a game I'd consider having Poona Ford over Settle active for. Guy is short and hefty. A bowling ball body type. 

I was so happy when we got Poona ford , I really thought he would be great on our line. If settle is out performing him in practice that’s no good. But I’m with you I would like to see him play today. 

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Great video, Eagles fans I'm sure will love to say it's cursed because Rocky 🙄 but who ***** cares, our backs are against the wall so get motivated and just find a way to win.

This was for the Jets game but it's still really great for the situation the team is still in.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Bills need to attain and keep good field position. It’s important to make the Eagles have to drive the length of the field and let them waste clock. I really think in games like this good girls position is paramount. 

It drives me crazy when they get pinned deep and then can’t work out of that deficit. 

1 minute ago, RiotAct said:

we don’t “need” to win today, but we’d probably have to run the table the last five games in order to make the playoffs if we lose today.  That would be a pretty tall order.

I think we need 4 of 6 at the minimum. Having to win out if we lose is almost nil. 

2 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

The offensive line has been very good.  If they continue to stay with running the ball Allen should be fine and have enough time to operate in the pocket.  obviously blocking chris jones becomes the key element.

yea it stinks that crosby is out but I still think this raiders team can hang in there for a little bit if they do not give the ball up early.  I guess I am just being hopeful all these afc teams lose today.

Who is playing QB for the Raiders?  Sounds like it’s going to be Hoyer, or rather the rotting corpse of Brian Hoyer.  The Raiders offense is a hot mess.  I cannot see them hanging with KC in any way.  

1 minute ago, FLFan said:

Who is playing QB for the Raiders?  Sounds like it’s going to be Hoyer, or rather the rotting corpse of Brian Hoyer.  The Raiders offense is a hot mess.  I cannot see them hanging with KC in any way.  

If the Raiders were going to do anything to the Chiefs this year it was always going to be an in division weirdness game.

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think this is one of those "let's look under the hood" statistics.  The Eagles are #12 in the league, not #1, for yards per attempt.  So being #1 in yards per game suggests to me that teams may do OK when they run, but aren't running very much on them.

The league average Y/G given up is 111.5.  The Eagles just gave up 168 rush yards against the Chiefs, who are #14 for rush yards per game.  Many of the teams the Eagles have faced have not had good run games (at this point in the season where they've played 9-10 other teams) - Patriots are #26, Vikes are #27, Bucs are #32, Commanders (played twice) are #24, Rams #21, Jets #28.  The good running teams the Eagles have faced are the Cowboys (#12) - held to 73 rush yards - the Dolphins (#2) - held to 45 rush yards. 

I could be wrong because I haven't watched them that much, but I think the Dolphins are #1 in rushing offense, paradoxically, isn't that they rely on the run that much (they're like #10 for number of attempts), but more they have speed; concern for Hill and Waddle gives them running opportunities and once Mostert or Achane get out in space, they're gone giving the Dolphins a high # Y/A.  It's also still a bit skewed by them having a ridiculous 350 rush yards against the Broncos and 222 against the Giants.  Or maybe I'm just salty over having to hear whatever announcer it was gush about the perfections of the Dolphins offense.

Anyway, obviously games played against the Eagles where they couldn't run is part of what made the other teams lower rush YPG teams, my point is that it's not like the Eagles have been shutting down the Ravens, Browns, and 49ers run games.  They've been handling the run against teams like the Jets, Patriots, Bucs and Commanders who don't run very much or very well, or teams like the Vikes and Giants  who run a fair bit but aren't very good at it this season.

But they also did shut down the Cowboys and Dolphins, to give them their propers.  I'm not saying they're paper tigers against the rush, at all, but I think they aren't as dominating as the #1 for Y/G stat suggests - teams get behind and don't run on them so much, I think.

The Eagles have the least rushes against in the league.  Teams are passing on them, sometimes because they are behind but also because the Eagles are more vulnerable there.  I think the Bills can and will rush enough against the Eagles if they are smart about it.  That said, this is not a team you try and ground and pound against.  They need to pass and score to win.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BRH said:

Dropping my son off at college in the Cleveland area after Tgiving.  Getting there around 3-4. Anyone got a good Bills bar in Cleveland, preferably east side?  Thanks!

If you can't find a legit Bills bar, a good plan B is Buffalo Wild Wings. Cleveland has two.

One of their TVs has gotta be on the Bills game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.