Coordinator Options for 2024

DrDawkinstein

Let's assume, regardless of anyone's wishes, McD is safe for one more year.

IMO, the best thing he could do for himself as Head Coach is show Terry and Bills Mafia that he really is the CEO of a winning team; and fire Dorsey, fire himself, and hire a new OC and new DC.

But who is that?

Offense:

On staff we have the likes of Joe Brady and Mike Shula

Any other upcoming guys hiding as QB coaches out there?

Anyone left on the 9ers staff worth looking at?

Anyone good enough to be able to take over in 2025 if McD keeps McD-ing?

Defense:

On staff... Eric Washington?

Brandon Staley maybe?

Would Ron Rivera do it as a bridge year? Or into retirement?

Any sleepers buried on staffs I'm not thinking about? Former players...

Assuming McD stays, who is your ultimate staff next year?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Gregg said:

It's hard to answer this question now. Like every year when the season ends coaches get fired and then OC's/DC's become available. But right now, we don't know who that will be. 

Yeahnoduh, that's why it's a good discussion topic. :nana:

We can kinda assume some of the coaches that will get fired. There will certainly be surprises as well. But even with that, I dont see many HCs that could get fired that I'd want as OC. And probably dont want their OC since they're getting fired for a reason.

I dont think Nagy is doing himself any favors in KC this year to earn another shot so soon.

Kevin Patullo is Philly's Associate head coach/passing game coordinator, and spent time here in Buffalo 2010-2012.

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I wouldn’t rule out a veteran OC either. 

How veteran? Like Shula?

• Like (+1) 1

So, this assumes that we're keeping McDermott:

If everyone gets canned in NY, I like Mike Kafka. He's young and worked with Andy Reid for years.  

If not him, Tee Martin in Baltimore. The Bills talked to him last time. 

Darrell Bevell. Remember him from the Seahawks? He's currently Tua's QB coach.

There are other guys, but those stand out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

27 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Let's assume, regardless of anyone's wishes, McD is safe for one more year.

IMO, the best thing he could do for himself as Head Coach is show Terry and Bills Mafia that he really is the CEO of a winning team; and fire Dorsey, fire himself, and hire a new OC and new DC.

But who is that?

Offense:

On staff we have the likes of Joe Brady and Mike Shula

Any other upcoming guys hiding as QB coaches out there?

Anyone left on the 9ers staff worth looking at?

Anyone good enough to be able to take over in 2025 if McD keeps McD-ing?

Defense:

On staff... Eric Washington?

Brandon Staley maybe?

Would Ron Rivera do it as a bridge year? Or into retirement?

Any sleepers buried on staffs I'm not thinking about? Former players...

Assuming McD stays, who is your ultimate staff next year?

I think McD is doing just fine as DC, so I am not worried about that personally.  But OC, no more inside promotions if they are just gonna keep running a similar offense and not put a real stamp on it.  I would much rather see someone come in from the outside and bring just new thoughts and designs to this offense

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think next season either Babich or Washington will take over the DC role. My hunch is that Washington is being groomed for it.

On offense, Tee Martin supposedly impressed when they were looking to replace Daboll and all things even (being no Allen endorsement of Dorsey) I suspect they would have picked him. 

Not that I'm fond of either choice, but that's what I sort of see McDermott doing. 

He should fire himself as DC right now IMO. But I think the replacement would be in house in any event.

My ideal combo:

DC - Leslie Frazier (won't happen he isn't comkng back here but we are talking about our ideal choices);

OC - Kellen Moore (in a world where everyone gets canned with the Chargers)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think McD is doing just fine as DC, so I am not worried about that personally.  But OC, no more inside promotions if they are just gonna keep running a similar offense and not put a real stamp on it.  I would much rather see someone come in from the outside and bring just new thoughts and designs to this offense

Yes, McD is doing fine as a DC, but he is failing as a Head Coach. That is the point.

If he wants to stay as a DC, then he can take a pay cut and answer to the new Offense-based HC we hire. But we both know that aint happening.

He needs to get out of DCing and show us he can actually run the team as a HC. To do that, he'll need to hire some talented Coordinators.

Who we got?

Edited by DrDawkinstein

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He should fire himself as DC right now IMO. But I think the replacement would be in house in any event.

My ideal combo:

DC - Leslie Frazier (won't happen he isn't comkng back here but we are talking about our ideal choices);

Frazier got completely scapegoated.

I want Bienemy as OC. Get the next coordinator from the Shanahan tree.

• Vomit 2

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Frazier got completely scapegoated.

I want Bienemy as OC. Get the next coordinator from the Shanahan tree.

I think Bienemy is finally going to get his shot as Head Coach in Washington. New owner going to fire Rivera and move to Bienemy.

Now, Bienemy as HC of the Bills is an interesting take...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2

If they bring in a new offensive coordinator this offseason, I'd like it to be a fresh, new take on things. A new mind from outside the organization. Enough with the "promoting continuity" thing.

I fully understand why that might seem desirable, what with not wanting Josh to have to learn a new system and new terminology and all, but...If you're canning Dorsey, it's an admission that things as they are structured now are simply not working. And if THAT'S the case, then it's time for something completely different.

I won't pretend to know enough about the various candidates to be able to pick which one I'd like best, I'm just saying I'd opt for something completely new over promoting Brady or Shula.

As for defensive coordinator, I think it's much more likely they'll promote a Bobby Babich or an Eric Washington. Though frankly, I'd be in favor of them bringing in a fresh new mind on defense, as well. That's less of a big deal, because you can still pick a 4-3, zone-based guy, if you don't want to have to overhaul your defensive personnel. 

If the GM, HC, and QB are staying, but we come to the conclusion that the team is regressing rather than progressing, then the only logical solution in my mind is a fresh start on offense and defense. Again, I'm not equipped at this moment to pick specific names, but..."promoting from within for the sake of continuity" no longer makes any sense in my opinion.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think his seat is hot in GB.

giphy.gif

It really isn’t. The whole receiving corps and the TEs are all first and second year players, Love is in his first year starting, and the Oline has dealt with injuries. He’s proven that with a top QB he can win 13 games a year. LaFleur is safe for another year. Joe Barry though is probably toast. That defense has massively underperformed for the talent level. Only way LaFleur gets the axe is if he won’t get rid of Barry. They’ll likely make some changes to assistant coaches, but not to HC unless there’s a huge division in the locker room. 

• Like (+1) 1

If he came available, would anyone be interested in Frank Reich as OC? Or has he proven to be just as boring, conservative, and ineffective as what we already have?

IMO, I'm looking for young and brash, almost arrogant. That isnt Reich.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

My ideal combo:

Wonder if Chargers clean house, we could pull off Staley DC, Moore OC. Although I'm not as high on Moore. Always been lukewarm on him since Boise days. Figured he'd make a better coach than player. But havent been wowed much.

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If he came available, would anyone be interested in Frank Reich as OC? Or has he proven to be just as boring, conservative, and ineffective as what we already have?

IMO, I'm looking for young and brash, almost arrogant. That isnt Reich.

Wonder if Chargers clean house, we could pull off Staley DC, Moore OC. Although I'm not as high on Moore. Always been lukewarm on him since Boise days. Figured he'd make a better coach than player. But havent been wowed much.

Doraey is Reich 10 years ago.

Moore might have become too institutionalized and be conservative now.

Edited by boyst
  • Agree 1

Do you want a veteran OC or do you want to give the job to an up and comer 

If you go the vet Oc route I think you want someone who thinks dynamically he’s on a year sabbatical and is currently overseas with his model girlfriend you make the call to 

Kliff Kingsbury 

If you want an up and coming coach who might ready to take the jump to OC

Brian Griese the QB coach of the 49ers

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Do you want a veteran OC or do you want to give the job to an up and comer 

If you go the vet Oc route I think you want someone who thinks dynamically he’s on a year sabbatical and is currently overseas with his model girlfriend you make the call to 

Kliff Kingsbury 

If you want an up and coming coach who might ready to take the jump to OC

Brian Griese the QB coach of the 49ers

Kingsbury is an interesting idea. Wonder if he's holding out for a HC spot. But winning a SB with Josh would be an even better path there.

I am starting to fear that McDermott may be looking at the comically inept disastrous offense of the jets and is saying to himself,  "Hmm, now Hackett looks like my kind of offensive coordinator. I have confidence that he can turn this around next year."

Unless the Jets are so indebted/intimidated by Rogers, Hackett is as good as fired already, and unless somehow he gets a new brain in the coming weeks.

If we can take McDermott at his word, and accept that he really does have confidence in Dorsey.  Hackett returns!?

3 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Ben Johnson HC.  Only way to get the top available offensive mind is to make him HC. 

This is what I come back to every time I consider the idea of firing Dorsey. Even in a best case scenario that is just a band-aid. If we bring in an OC who schemes up an elite offense, he'll be a head coach somewhere else a year or two later. And we won't get the best possible OC to begin with because that OC will be already be a head coach somewhere.

So the only real solution to getting a great offensive coach for the long term is to replace McDermott with one.

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes, McD is doing fine as a DC, but he is failing as a Head Coach. That is the point.

If he wants to stay as a DC, then he can take a pay cut and answer to the new Offense-based HC we hire. But we both know that aint happening.

He needs to get out of DCing and show us he can actually run the team as a HC. To do that, he'll need to hire some talented Coordinators.

Who we got?

What about Co Head coaches.  McD a defense and Special Teams  Ben Johnson Offense.  

13 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

McD did better than Frazier would’ve done as DC, as those losses were significant and the defense kept us somewhat in games.  They’ve just been on the field way too long that any defense would get worn out.

As far as OC, I mentioned to Joe on the extra point show yesterday, I wouldn’t wait for the end of the year.  I 

d place Brady as interim and we can decide whether he remains into next year.  In Carolina, he resisted the push to run more and kept them in games through the pass.  Isn’t that what we e wanted.  Either Brady turns this anemic offense around and keeps his job, or we have the off season to find the best OC we can afford, and Terry needs to open up the wallet.

9 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Ben Johnson HC.  Only way to get the top available offensive mind is to make him HC. 

Yup.  It's just hard for me to wrap around McDermott firing/scapegoating Dorsey who is still calling a top five offense.  You'd have to sacrifice McDermott to upgrade your offensive play caller.  I'm sure there's lost of Bills fans that on here that wouldn't have a problem with that.

Jim Schwartz - instant top 3 D

i really like the idea of Kliff Kingsbury as OC.  Coached Johnny football to a heismanand Mahomes, currently coaching Caleb Williams at USC.  NFL experience.  His struggle as an NFL HC could be attributed to Kyler Murray never watching film….

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.