Bills @ Bengals postgame thread

Simon

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

What can McDermott and Dorsey say they are better than 95% of other coaches? What is their specialty? What advantage do we gain over other teams with their presence?

I'm going to bet that everyone reading this post will come up empty with any kind of answer. I know the two of them are fine coaches. But they are not Super Bowl caliber.

I have routinely been told that it's not about McD being a super bowl caliber coach. It's that he's made this team a contender (more like pretender now) and that they would rather stick with him and never win a title then to stink again

To me...that's the attitude of someone that is scared to challenge themselves and would rather play it safe and never reach their goals. 

Nobody should ever accept anything less than to strive for greatness. McD is settling for playoff exits and heartbreaking losses until he's gone

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Tulsabillsfanz said:

Yes, we have a lot of injuries on defense. However, regardless of our injury situation over the last few years, we have very rarely made big stops late in close games. I can’t remember the last time we got a turnover in a key late game situation.  I would’ve gone for an onside kick with 3:32 left. That’s how little confidence I have in our defense in game on the line situations. 

Good point. I thought in the playoff game vs KC after the 13 secs that they should have onside kicked it to start overtime. But that would have required a coach with ingenuity and balls of steel. McD has neither.

• Agree 1

Just now, BananaB said:

Yeah I’m sure will hear from McD how we lost the turnover battle but the D hasn’t created a turnover since London. Allen can’t be perfect all the time. He’s the best player on the team and McD wants him to play like he’s a game manager.

Josh just has to play smarter, his interceptions are mostly on him and I think he's trying too hard looking for big gains. I want him back to 5-7 yard passes and moving the chains taking 6-8 minutes off the clock we saw years ago.

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

The refs blew back to back to back calls on that one lol.  Missed trip was horrible, intentional grounding was horrible, then there seems to have been an insane amount of confusion where neither coach knew the clock was running to close out the half 

Don't worry about the trip, we get to enjoy finding out later that he'll be fined, sure it won't help us out at all but it's the thought that counts. 😡

• Like (+1) 1

Listening to Allen’s post game. A little bit of throwing throwing Dorsey under the bus. Not crazy. But subtle.

A little odd when asked about specific players or multiple drives, and a lot of “I don’t know. I’ll have to watch the film. I’m just trying to run the play that’s called”

Certainly standard speak, but it’s also pretty common for a QB to go “well they did a good job of rolling the safety over top.” Or “we tried to move Gabe around but they did a good job of taking him away” but “I don’t know is weird.”

WGR is super angry just yelling at clouds. Saying nobody was getting open, which is WILDLY INCORRECT. Also upset they drafted Kincaid. 

I don’t know why I got the urge to listen. I never do. But all these guys on WGR have some of the lowest football IQ. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

WTF is "complimentary" football anyway?  Josh is even saying it now.

It must mean both sides get equally blown off the ball and come up small in big spots. One hand washes the other. Defense gets on skates and just watches the Bengals move the ball at will and the offense turns it over or punts. Real full circle 

This game was so frustrating.  All the talk leading up to this game was how the Bengals outclassed us and were by far the better team.  That is absolutely not the case and going forward, if and when we see them again, nobody should go in afraid.  We did way more to beat ourselves than the Bengals did to beat us.  They are a good team and they are better coached than we are.  But nobody will convince me we just can't beat them.

Now, that said, our coaching staff can most certainly prevent us from winning any game we play.  We had like 4 good drives the entire game.  And you know what the all had in common?  They all had at least 1 Allen run in them.  He had 1, maybe 2 designed runs in this game and you know what?  They worked.  And immediately, they were followed up with a very good play on the next snap.  That is not a coincidence.  Allen running opens up everything on this offense and makes things so much easier.  Also, tempo......  Every time we used tempo, we moved the ball efficiently.  But there was more than one occasion tonight that we were moving the ball with tempo and then all of a sudden, it was back to lolly gagging around and stuck in the mud for no reason. 

No under center play action that we all know Allen has success with.  Critical mistakes at the worst times.  So many self-inflicted wounds.  And everything I mentioned was on offense.  Don't get me started on the defensive blunders.  But honestly, you give up 24 in a game like this, with the players we have on offense, you have to find a way to get more. 

Yes.....the Bengals are good.  But nobody should feel like we can't beat them.  This season is not over.  If this coaching staff can get their heads out of their butts and really looks at what works and what doesn't, there is still time to get right.  But as of right now, this coaching staff is very outmatched.

PS.  Kincaid, fumble aside, is an absolute stud.  He is the 2nd best weapon on this team and can do this week in and week out.  But we all know what's going to happen, don't we......  Knox comes off IR in a few weeks and will immediately be inserted back into the starting line up and Kincaid will be an afterthought once again because these coaches actively do everything they can to take anything that works and make it useless.

7 minutes ago, Nitro said:

This team is going nowhere without a philosophical change on both sides of the ball.   McD has feet of clay.  Taylor had his DBs playing up on the Bills  receivers.  Nothing soft or passive,  

they're among the elite teams.  there are many middling teams who can and do beat the elites.  10-7 gets in the plays imo.  despite the schedule, they'll make the playoffs and it's a new season 

Just now, Roundybout said:

At least we would get a trick play every once in a while 

And 6 run plays back to back and an OC who gets mad when his QB throws a TD pass. Listen, I want a new OC this offseason. I even think that we should let Joe Brady call the plays. But Matt Canada? I think not.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Between the rumors of Diggs being upset and thinking the window is closed and Florio with his Jenga tower crap after every single Bills loss I wonder if there really is some serious problem behind the scenes.

Not sure why or what it is because the record is the same as a lot of other teams that are showing a ton of passion and energy. 

Our guys don't look like they're having any fun at all. When Allen started his presser on opening night with "same s different day" I'm starting to think it meant something 

They went toe to toe away with a hot Bengals team away. It’s not a tragic outcome 5-4 one game behind in the division. It’s not a tragic outcome but very frustrating as had Kincaid not fumbled they would have changed the complexion of the game had they scored.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

This loss was on the offense. It scored only 2 TDs.

The defense allowed only 3 points in the 2d hald despite the injuries on D.

My initial take is that the O doesn't execute well enough to dink & dunk down the field and Josh can't seem to hit the long ball.

It would be useful if, when the all-22 is available, someone knowledgeable about such things would comment on why the O isn't more effective. Some of it is execution. For example, on two plays our WRs tripped over one another.

This game sealed it for me.  Need to get rid of Dorsey.  He's holding the offense back.  It's not all on him but you can't fire the players.  

2 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

I have routinely been told that it's not about McD being a super bowl caliber coach. It's that he's made this team a contender (more like pretender now) and that they would rather stick with him and never win a title then to stink again

To me...that's the attitude of someone that is scared to challenge themselves and would rather play it safe and never reach their goals. 

Nobody should ever accept anything less than to strive for greatness. McD is settling for playoff exits and heartbreaking losses until he's gone

I’m not saying that you are wrong … so who would you like to be the coach? 

Edited by Aussie Joe

12 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Every time we huddled up the offense stalled all night long. Started right after the Bengals got their second TD. My guess McD wanted to slow the pace down so his D could rest and collect themselves. Jmo. Believe that is a McD call not Dorsey

I think out defense was exhausted - maybe he just feared another 3 and out 

4 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

The refs blew back to back to back calls on that one lol.  Missed trip was horrible, intentional grounding was horrible, then there seems to have been an insane amount of confusion where neither coach knew the clock was running to close out the half 

Last play of the game, holding norman at the edge that allowed Mixon to get the 1st down. 10/10 times thats called on the bills but i guess the official staring at him thought he was just grabbing and fixing his shoulder pad. What a nice guy.

Edited by What a Tuel

Eagles

Chiefs

Cowboys

Dolphins

Chargers

What will this team go against that group. 

And that’s not counting the two division teams who have beat them already. 

Where’s the heart of the team that danced to “Renegade” against the Steelers on SNF?

The team showed one bit of emotion on the field since beating Miami.  And Josh got flagged for taunting after it. 

The Bengals talked trash all week then took the opening kickoff right down McDermott’s defenses’ throat. 

I have respect and gratitude for Sean McDermott. But this team isn’t winning anything with him. 

Just now, Warcodered said:

Don't worry about the trip, we get to enjoy finding out later that he'll be fined, sure it won't help us out at all but it's the thought that counts. 😡

It really was ridiculous…I’m not trying to say we deserved to win but I have never seen a play like that not called a trip in my life.  Then right after a play I have never seen called as intentional grounding is called as intentional grounding 😂 what are the odds 

• Like (+1) 1

This is depressing. I have to talk myself into the fact that we "should" beat the Broncos & Jets, even though we could easily lose to one. I have to talk myself into the idea that we could beat 1 of the Eagles or Chiefs.  I have to convince myself that we can put a December/January run together. 

And all that, just to get a mid to low seed, so we'll have to win at LEAST 2 on the road in the playoffs, if not all 3.

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Man the postgame on WGR he is going off on the offense and he makes valid points. 
The slow starts and the inability to make adjustments is just sinking this team. 

We actually started well, on offense.  Then, we decided we needed to establish the run on first down and completely changed the wide open play calling that worked on the first drive.   

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, What a Tuel said:

Last play of the game, holding norman at the edge that allowed Mixon to get the 1st down. 10/10 times thats called on the bills but i guess the official staring at him thought he was just grabbing and fixing his shoulder pad. What a nice guy.

Oh yea that was undoubtedly a hold but I had hit my bs limit by that point 😂 

2 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

It’s complementary football, and it’s meaningless.

Football is points scored per drive vs points allowed per drive. I think McDermott is losing it.

It's just a new fangled term that means that the defense and the offense have to play good in the same game.

3 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

They have like 3 or 4 former OCs on this staff.

No they do not.  They have joe brady who had no real success in carolina.

They have no veteran proven former coordinators on this staff unless u count mike shula..who doesn't really have any responsibility.  the rest are all positional coaches who may have been oc's for a short time in college.

Buffalo has an elite qb...time goes fast and he will be retiring.  The organization needs to have the best people around him.  

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

Listening to Allen’s post game. A little bit of throwing throwing Dorsey under the bus. Not crazy. But subtle.

A little odd when asked about specific players or multiple drives, and a lot of “I don’t know. I’ll have to watch the film. I’m just trying to run the play that’s called”

Certainly standard speak, but it’s also pretty common for a QB to go “well they did a good job of rolling the safety over top.” Or “we tried to move Gabe around but they did a good job of taking him away” but “I don’t know is weird.”

WGR is super angry just yelling at clouds. Saying nobody was getting open, which is WILDLY INCORRECT. Also upset they drafted Kincaid. 

I don’t know why I got the urge to listen. I never do. But all these guys on WGR have some of the lowest football IQ. 

Kincaid has been our best draft pick outside of Josh in the Beane era IMO.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.