Rasul Douglas to Bills - per Rap

SCBills

6 hours ago, SCBills said:

The talk this morning from the Packers reporter stating Douglas is a guy who should transition to Safety very well later in his career is pretty interesting..

Yeah, I see this happening also.

A much better chance of this happening than seeing Tre White trying to play safety in this league.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6

3 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

What do you think Kincaid was for?

TE is nice, but you still need WRs, real teams will shut you down if you can’t attack the edges, see Lamar Jackson.

12 minutes ago, Simon said:

Yeah, I see this happening also.

A much better chance of this happening than seeing Tre White trying to play safety in this league.

Absolutely, Tre isn’t exactly an enforcer out there, nor does he really seem to have a great nose for the ball.  I like Tre, but I don’t see him being a great safety. 

15 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Absolutely, Tre isn’t exactly an enforcer out there, nor does he really seem to have a great nose for the ball.  I like Tre, but I don’t see him being a great safety. 

I'd disagree with the bold.

The guy has probably caused 20-30 turnovers in a Bills uniform, sometimes in key moments or also in instances where he was coming of his assigned responsibility to attack the ball.

That loss of turnover potential was one of the three biggest reasons his injury sucked so much.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 9

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

TE is nice, but you still need WRs, real teams will shut you down if you can’t attack the edges, see Lamar Jackson.

WUT???

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I'd disagree with the bold.

The guy has probably caused 20-30 turnovers in a Bills uniform, sometimes in key moments or also in instances where he was coming of his assigned responsibility to attack the ball.

That loss of turnover potential was one of the three biggest reasons his injury sucked so much.

As per usual,  Bills fans undervalue their players.  

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah, but I don't have to keep my head on a swivel when I am outdoors looking for gators who may be randomly in the area.  😂

Or have to freak out every time I open my door because there might be a flying cockroach that gets in and causes an infestation. 😂

Don't forget the geckos 😂

3 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I'll agree with him not being an enforcer but he absolutely has a knack for the ball

18 interceptions while missing a season... While not getting targeted heavily over his career.. his interception to Target ratio is really good

He might not have the best hands but he's always finding the ball

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I really do wish the best for tre

I’m just remembering how hard it was for him to come back from that acl

Now he has an equally devastating injury on his other leg and it’s

I don’t know how he comes back from this

People who don't believe in you is the biggest motivator for a strong man 

On 10/31/2023 at 12:51 PM, GunnerBill said:

I don't think he is an upgrade on our starters. Admittedly haven't seen a lot of Green Bay this season, but have seen a lot of Douglas since he came out of that good 2017 draft class. The Eagles ended up cutting him, 3 years after spending a 3rd on him because teams CONSTANTLY targeted him then he bounced around practice squads before sticking in Green Bay. No team in the NFL has misevaluated DBs as consistently as Green Bay in the past decade. 

For a 3rd with a 5th coming back I really do not like this. I think he is a better fit in our scheme than Elam but he is a lateral move from Jackson and Benford for me. 

Maybe he has suddenly improved a ton and will prove me wrong but man I hate this deal.

The odd part of your post to me is that Douglas is “a lateral move from Jackson and Benford…” Perhaps I have a lower opinion of Jackson’s abilities than you, but in my opinion, the difference between Benford and Jackson is not lateral.

To my pedestrian eye, Jackson’s best plays generally occur against the run… but he’s a CB! I suspect that Douglas, who pundits seem to agree is suited for a zone D, will be a better fit, and larger asset (eventually) than Jackson. 

of course, I’m usually wrong…

I see Douglas as kind of a Levi Wallace type player, only better.  He's not a great athlete, but technically sound.  He's well adapted to a zone defense and doesn't make many mistakes.  He's bigger than Wallace and won't get abused by big, physical WRs the way Wallace does.  He's not fast, but he's faster than Wallace, who is extremely slow for a cornerback.  I would think Douglas can be a solid starter at CB.  He's not going to be a star, but he'll have a few interceptions and he won't be a guy opposing QBs can always pick on. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

People who don't believe in you is the biggest motivator for a strong man 

Sadly, given the uncertainty of his health, the cap situation we're in, and the contract he's on - he will probably have extra motivation in being released.

There is an out in his contract after this season that would save a lot of cap space in '24 and '25 by invoking.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tredavious-white-21768/

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

He might not be 100% ready but i really hope Douglas plays this game

I don't know that he does. Beane said he probably wouldn't. Two practices and 4-5 days with the playbook isn't a lot of time to get the calls and terminology down. If he does, it would probably be just a small package of plays.

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't know that he does. Beane said he probably wouldn't. Two practices and 4-5 days with the playbook isn't a lot of time to get the calls and terminology down. If he does, it would probably be just a small package of plays.

Considering our secondary and Cincinnati's weapons, we need all hands on deck.

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I really do wish the best for tre

I’m just remembering how hard it was for him to come back from that acl

Now he has an equally devastating injury on his other leg and it’s

I don’t know how he comes back from this

https://minicircle.clinic/

46 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Considering our secondary and Cincinnati's weapons, we need all hands on deck.

Could do more harm than good if he's out of position because he doesn't know the calls. We don't do a lot of man to man. He's got to get down who's covering what zones on each playcall. Don't want to make his first impression be blowing zone coverage or running into people.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

Would do more harm than good if he's out of position because he doesn't know the calls. We don't do a lot of man to man. He's got to get down who's covering what areas on each playcall.

if hes as smart and instinctive as they say he is, its worth important down situations.

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Could do more harm than good if he's out of position because he doesn't know the calls. We don't do a lot of man to man. He's got to get down who's covering what zones on each playcall. Don't want to make his first impression be blowing zone coverage or running into people.

He’s a zone corner. There’s only so much complexity to that and he’s well versed coming in.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

He’s a zone corner. There’s only so much complexity to that and he’s well versed coming in.

There's still the terminology and the calls. From the way he speaks of it and how players have, the feeling is that McDermott's Defense IS complex.

I'm not saying I'd be opposed to him playing, if they want to put him out there. But on 2 practices and 4 days with the Playbook, if they determine he should sit this week, it a.) Would not surprise me and b.) Not be without good reason. Even if it's unpopular.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

There's still the terminology and the calls. From the way he speaks of it and how players have, the feeling is that McDermott's Defense IS complex.

I'm not saying I'd be opposed to him playing, if they want to put him out there. But on 2 practices and 4 days with the Playbook, if they determine he should sit this week, it a.) Would not surprise me and b.) Not be without good reason. Even if it's unpopular.

I’m also not opposed to him playing this week - I’m not opposed to giving him the week off either, for the reasons you stated. Just saying he’s not a 23 year old man cover guy they’re trying to convert. Douglas probably has a lot of base knowledge of concepts coming in.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

I’m also not opposed to him playing this week - I’m not opposed to giving him the week off either, for the reasons you stated. Just saying he’s not a 23 year old man cover guy they’re trying to convert. Douglas probably has a lot of base knowledge of concepts coming in.

Douglas should be able to play some snaps Sunday. Maybe he can’t get the full concepts of the defense right away but he should be able to grasp 30-40% of the defense in a few days. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, entropyrules said:

Just finished reading an article where it looks like the Bills ended up with 3 6th round picks for the 2024 draft....is that article right? I don't recall any of these trades

Updating the traded picks in the 2024 NFL draft after the trade deadline (yahoo.com)

I do remember some of those trades at the end of the draft, and wondering what Beane had up his sleeve for 2024.  Here's my dumb question for the morning - based on what is in this article...does this mean the Bills have four (4) picks in the 6th round?

1) Broncos to the Bills via the Rams

2) Rams to the Bills

3) Cowboys to the Bills via the Texans

4) Bills own 6th?

There's going to be some wheeling and dealing next April.

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

if hes as smart and instinctive as they say he is, its worth important down situations.

And he's physical, seems to be a great tackler. And was considered the heart of that defense according to pack fans on twitter

Excited to see him out there.

Secondary looks scary again with Poyer looking like his old self and playing more of a lb role in certain situations.  Benford looks great and adding a stud like Douglas

Just finished reading an article where it looks like the Bills ended up with 3 6th round picks for the 2024 draft....is that article right? I don't recall any of thsoe trades

Updating the traded picks in the 2024 NFL dralft after he trade deadline (yahoo.com)

ya i remember these 

We got 2 5s and 4 6ths and all picks in rd 1-3 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just finished reading an article where it looks like the Bills ended up with 3 6th round picks for the 2024 draft....is that article right? I don't recall any of thsoe trades

Updating the traded picks in the 2024 NFL draft after the trade deadline (yahoo.com)

Beane did a few trade downs last year to extra 6ths in the coming draft. 

19 minutes ago, Whites Bay said:

I do remember some of those trades at the end of the draft, and wondering what Beane had up his sleeve for 2024.  Here's my dumb question for the morning - based on what is in this article...does this mean the Bills have four (4) picks in the 6th round?

2) Rams to the Bills

4) Bills own 6th?

Buffalo Bills 2024 NFL Draft Picks

Round 1
Round 2
Round 3
Round 4
Round 5
Round 5 (from GB)
Round 6
Round 6 (from DAL)
Round 6 (from LAR)
Round 7

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2024-nfl-draft-picks-by-team/

6 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

True but there’s a scheme you have to know, and you have to be able to switch to the right coverage in a matter of less than a second. I can’t recall who it was last week (maybe Rapp) but on one of Tampa’s big gains the ‘corner’ dropped his man off to the sideline thinking someone would be there….but nobody was and the receiver was completely uncovered. 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Beane did a few trade downs last year to extra 6ths in the coming draft. 

Buffalo Bills 2024 NFL Draft Picks

Round 1
Round 2
Round 3
Round 4
Round 5
Round 5 (from GB)
Round 6
Round 6 (from DAL)
Round 6 (from LAR)
Round 7

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2024-nfl-draft-picks-by-team/

The Round 3 pick is compensatory for Edumunds, correct?

9 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Pretty rare when virtually all of the trading teams fans and media react very negatively towards a move...you'd think there would be a few who liked the move but pretty much all been negative and in some cases EXTREMELY negative.

In fairness, that fanbase is just generally p!ssed off because they are dealing with the reality that they don't have a franchise QB and might suck for the foreseeable future for the first time in 30 years.   Scrutiny is the order of the day there.   Getting the equivalent of an early-mid 4th round pick in a strong draft for a would-be 29 year old CB is a pretty normal move for a team that's missing the playoffs and re-tooling.   

16 minutes ago, henry jones said:

I don't think the 3rd rounder is confirmed yet.  Won't happen until closer to the draft.  It would be a compensatory pick for losing Edmunds.  

The Bills have expected compensatory picks in the past and got nothing. For the moment they do not have a 3rd rounder.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, entropyrules said:

1 hour ago, Whites Bay said:

2) Rams to the Bills

4) Bills own 6th?

I believe we have two 6th round picks right now.

One of the Rams', and the pick from the Texans. IIRC we traded our own 6th, and the other Rams' 6th in other deals. But I'm trying to dig that up now.

I'm almost positive we do NOT have four 6th round picks. (But would be happy to be wrong)

edit: well hot dang it looks like I was wrong and we DO have FOUR 6th round picks. According to the Buffalo News on Tuesday, which I will trust as an updated source.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/professional/nfl/bills/after-rasul-douglas-acquisition-here-are-bills-scheduled-picks-for-2024-nfl-draft/article_fc713204-7825-11ee-a8a5-63cfdc09fe15.html

First round: Own.

Second round: Own.

Fourth round: Own.

Fifth round: Own.

Fifth round: From Green Bay.

Sixth round: Own.

Sixth round: From Los Angeles Rams, or from Denver via Rams.

Sixth round: From Houston.

Sixth round: From Dallas via Houston.

Seventh round: Own 

12 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

The Bills have expected compensatory picks in the past and got nothing. For the moment they do not have a 3rd rounder.

Strange enough, the 49ers used one of their 3rd round comp picks to trade for Young.

"The 49ers are projected to get a compensatory third-round pick for offensive tackle Mike McGlinchey and another compensatory third-round pick for the losses of Ran Carthon and Demeco Ryans, with one of those third-rounders being sent to Washington for Young."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38788085/sources-commanders-agree-trade-chase-young-49ers

Edited by DrDawkinstein

• Simon unpinned and pinned this topic
51 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Strange enough, the 49ers used one of their 3rd round comp picks to trade for Young.

"The 49ers are projected to get a compensatory third-round pick for offensive tackle Mike McGlinchey and another compensatory third-round pick for the losses of Ran Carthon and Demeco Ryans, with one of those third-rounders being sent to Washington for Young."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38788085/sources-commanders-agree-trade-chase-young-49ers

Comp picks for players aren't officially awarded until after the season/before the draft because I think there are certain in-season things that can factor in to the formula.  I don't think we'll have to worry about getting that pick for Edmunds though.

The comp picks for minority coaches/management hires aren't dependent on any other factors so I'm guessing they are just awarded right away.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.