Von Miller

Riverboat Ritchie

The issue with Von Miller is still his ACL. It legitimately takes about two years for someone to return to their old form after this injury. 

if you watch, he gets off the line of scrimmage quickly but can only move fast in a straight line. He often runs past the action because he can’t stop and cut. He’s not a threat out there.

Edited by Hotdog water
Grammar
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

the old rule that it takes a full season to recover from an ACL is again being proven.  He won't be much of a factor until next season (or perhaps after the bye, in the best case) . 

Is what it is.   Beane made the big move and due to injury, it probably won't work out.  

I’ll say this for the umpteenth time. Next season he’s 35+.  How many mid to late 30’s dudes are there making an impact in this league at the DL  He’s washed and we’re stuck with his boat anchor contract.

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 4

7 hours ago, WMDman said:

Von Miller

I’ve heard of him,

7 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

I’ll say this for the umpteenth time. Next season he’s 35+.  How man mid to late 30’s dudes are there making an impact in this league.  He’s washed and we’re stuck with his boat anchor contract.

Next year is the last year, PayDay.  It is not ideal if he doesn't come around, but he is still a guy they have to keep an eye and and it is fairly painless to get rid of him after year 3.

3 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

He almost cost us the game by jumping Offside and getting the bucs within throwing distance of the end zone. Stupid play

Watch all of his snaps and you will see he is trying to time them. My hypothesis is that the is trying to make up for the lack of burst.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Watch all of his snaps and you will see he is trying to time them. My hypothesis is that the is trying to make up for the lack of burst.

His burst is fine.

Every DL in this history of the NFL tries to time the snap.  This isn't the first or last time Miller will get an Offside penalty.  He has probably committed 40 of these in his career.

1 hour ago, Hotdog water said:

The issue with Von Miller is still his ACL. It legitimately takes about two years for someone to return to their old form after this injury. 

if you watch, he gets off the line of scrimmage quickly but can only move fast in a straight line. He often runs past the action because he can’t stop and cut. He’s not a threat out there.

It's trusting your knee again and getting full ROM back by breaking down scar tissue.  They'll hear clicks/pops and have some pain and think there is something wrong with it, but it's just breaking down scar tissue...will be scared to try and push it too hard because it doesn't "feel" right and the full ROM isn't back yet. Only way to get it back is by continuing to play on it. Nothing unusual at this point or out of the ordinary.  Nor should we be concerned by it. Part of the process of coming back from these injuries, all players go thru the same thing.  

Should be much improved towards the end of the year as the scar tissue continues to break down more and more and ROM starts coming back and he feels more like his old self.

1 hour ago, PayDaBill$ said:

I’ll say this for the umpteenth time. Next season he’s 35+.  How many mid to late 30’s dudes are there making an impact in this league.  He’s washed and we’re stuck with his boat anchor contract.

Terrible contract for this team.  I am a minority in hating the signing from the start for an old player (which injuries are more likely) to a massive contract that hurts this team.  Unfortunately I was right.  No more massive contracts to old players! Wish we could dump him and Knox contract off this team.  

Edited by Gunsgoodtime
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Terrible contract for this team.  I am a minority in hating the signing from the start for an old player (which injuries are more likely) to a massive contract that huts this team.  Unfortunately I was right.  No more massive contracts to old players!

It was definitely a signing 90% brought on due to 13 seconds of turtle coaching.  

• Agree 2

It’s interesting that he seems to be rushing a lot against the other teams Right Tackle when you think he’d have less bend in his surgically repaired right knee.  His bend is what makes him a Hall of Famer and it’s not there yet, but you’d think he’d have more bend going outside against Left Tackles with his left knee.  

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

When he turns it on, like in the 4th, his burst was fine. 

Andrew Whitworth talked it about it post show.  Get off is fine, the bend he's still working through.  

I'm working on a comparison match-up between last year and this week, with a stopwatch timing the ball of the snap. I think you'll be shocked.

Video comparison I mean.

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

I'm working on a comparison match-up between last year and this week, with a stopwatch timing the ball of the snap. I think you'll be shocked.

Video comparison I mean.

He's still working through everything.  This video isn't going to prove anything until Von starts turning it on all the time and gets his bend yet.  His game is just not about speed.  It hasn't even been a year since his surgery and still on a snap count.

31 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

It’s interesting that he seems to be rushing a lot against the other teams Right Tackle when you think he’d have less bend in his surgically repaired right knee.  His bend is what makes him a Hall of Famer and it’s not there yet, but you’d think he’d have more bend going outside against Left Tackles with his left knee.  

He rushing from both left and right.

Though primarily standing up and from a very wide angle.

von2.jpg

von1.jpg

Without having a chance to go back and watch the All-22 yet, I will say that on first watch, I thought that this was his best game overall since he came back.  Now, that is a fairly low bar to be honest, but for the first time in his limited snaps back he had a couple of effective rushes.  Early in the game, and in games past this season, it almost looked like he was going through the motions which is honestly somewhat expected from a guy fresh off an ACL where it hasn't even been a full year since the injury that didn't have a camp or any practice time.  But that last series with the game on the line, I thought he had some great rushes and was even held and tackled in the 2nd to last play which if called as it should have been, would have ended the game before the last play even happened.

I get that people are getting a little impatient with Von because he hasn't magically come back to the dominant force he was last season for us, but I was very encouraged last night, particularly late in the game.  He's getting closer.  And you know what?  It may take several more weeks before he is all the way back.  But this is the guy we brought in to close out important games for us late in the season and in the Playoffs.  And just like we want every other player on the team to be playing their best football in December, January, and February, the same goes for Von.  The splash play is coming.....he's getting there.  Just try and keep expectations where they should be for a 34 year old guy coming off a major injury with no camp and virtually no padded practices.

• Agree 3

18 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Not going to contribute this year imho.  To far to go yet in being his old self.  Of course, he maybe never gets there.  One of Beanes worst moves w the Bills, in fact, perhaps the worst.

I disagree.  The Elam picked might have been worst.  Miller was having a great year up until second game in less than a week on crappy turf in Detroit. I still hold out some hope for him. He was starting to look better as game went on. I just don’t know how many snaps he should be taking away from others as he gets right. 

• Like (+1) 1

I've been super critical of Von these past few weeks but I liked his effort last night.  He was definitely pushing it harder...and i personally think he can only go 50%. The previous weeks I did not feel like he should have been active in the games, but last night made me feel better about his progress.

1 hour ago, bigK14094 said:

Not going to contribute this year imho.  To far to go yet in being his old self.  Of course, he maybe never gets there.  One of Beanes worst moves w the Bills, in fact, perhaps the worst.

meh we are in a window where guys improve very quickly. 

Breece halls been working through that window and gotten much more explosive for instance. We are about in the right spot where between improving health and added conditioning he may not get to 100% but the run from 70%-90+ should move quickly the next couple weeks I believe 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Simon said:

This is his training camp.

100 percent spot on. Nicely put.

1 hour ago, DuckyBoys said:

they need him for the post season was the plan  If McDermott can get out of the way of the offense we just might make it there  Maybe he makes a impact

Big if. These days it seems like McClappy can !@#$ up a wet dream.

• Like (+1) 1

These threads are made by people who have clearly never played a sport and/or had to come back from an injury .

It's about confidence in the knee and going full speed on a surgically repaired ligament. At his position, the amount of bending, lateral movement, etc is not normal for humans or knees. Once he can again play full speed and confidently bend, rush, use all of his power, he'll be fine. If that never comes back and he never gains that feeling, he'll have to retire. 

13 hours ago, mrags said:

At this point. Hes not as good as either Epenesa, Groot, or Floyd. Hell, even Jonathan might be better at this point. But he’s gotta get in there and get reps. I feel like he’s getting closer to getting there. He actually sniffed the QB a few times tonight. 

Why? If he isn’t 100%, he didn’t need to come off of PUP. Nothing against Von, as you’ll see I’m with patience here. This is more about his long term recovery. I personally don’t think game reps are going to benefit him any more than rest and practice might have.

13 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He's really just getting into shape. Obviously not going 100% off the ball. Doing more to set the edge and watch than rush up field at the passer.

If that’s the case he shouldn’t be playing 

7 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

He almost cost us the game by jumping Offside and getting the bucs within throwing distance of the end zone. Stupid play

Classic Von

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

He’s still working his way back to 💯…… of course he doesn’t look 💯 

think big picture……not week 8

This is key. He doesn’t need to be an all-pro right now. We just need him to be in January. Still think they rushed this thing along.

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

He rushing from both left and right.

Though primarily standing up and from a very wide angle.

von2.jpg

von1.jpg

Again classic wide 9. Really puts the tackle in a pinch, forcing them to gain depth/width with their kick. Opens up the inside mode and get a little more umph with your hands due to the running start.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.