TB / Buffalo Postgame thread

Simon

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Why?  When is there ever accountability under mcdermott?  Siran Neal was equally as bad in this game and nothing will change.  Mcdermott will continue to put the same undisciplined idiots out there.  

Probably because he has no one else because of injuries? Can we have a shred of nuance here?

Great turnaround by Allen.   The offensive line was good and the receivers outside of Diggs finally stepped up.  All of this against a decent Bucs D.  Defense was better, but they caught an offense with a bottom three running game in a major slump.  My biggest concern after today was the coaching and management at the end, it almost felt like we were daring the Bucs to make a comeback.

I feel a lot better than I did Sunday, but also think that Buffalo will lose to KC, Philly and Cincinnati if the play like they did today.   Five and Three is not bad considering everything they have been through and this is something to build off of.

Edited by dgrochester55

12 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Yea that terrible defense forced a quick punt and our offense got the ball back at the 24 lol. 

there’s been a lot of valid criticisms up to this point but tonight I think people are kind of losing the plot imo.  Against the bucs you just don’t risk turning it over at midfield, it takes them far too long to drive down the field.  Against the bucs and eagles and such the same decisions will not be made, those teams can score in a hurry. This whole ‘imagine if we were playing the eagles tonight’ is a moot point 

-inability to hold a lead in playoffs vs Texans up 20-3 at half time

-13 seconds kc

-skyler Thompson almost beating bills in playoffs last season

-Tyrod Taylor almost leading giants down field to win last drive

-Mac jones leading New England to victory last week on last drive

-Dustin Hopkins catch in end zone on last play Arizona 

-baker mayfield bomb at end of game that could have been caught.  

Is this the defense you are talking about?  Because it doesn’t leave me with much confidence moving forward come playoff time against better teams.  There is a pattern here and it comes down to coaching. 

Edited by <bills4life>
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

Both teams players were bumping and there was heavy contact from both teams

Except the Bills defender there was not making a play on the ball he was falling down. That’s a penalty on any other day. The other players yes I agree with you. We would just have to agree to disagree. 

2 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

How'd it work out? Still nearly lost to another backbreaking last second play. Never should have come to that 

Nearly lost?  No one was remotely close to catching that lol this is peak crazy town.  This is like saying the jags almost lost to us cuz we had a chance at a hook and ladder play at the end 😂

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Looked like he thought they were Offside…they jumped but they may have gotten back in time 

Yeah, that's what they were going for but I think Allen was snapping that ball no matter what.

He was good and geeked right then.

10 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

Style points don't count. You're absolutely correct. I don't think anyone is mad that the Bills won. But the way in which you win can give you insight into future results. And the way they won this game gives many a bad feeding about the rest of the season. That's understandable, no? 

I agree.  I don't see us blowing anyone out, including Denver.  Every win will be a close stressful grind. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Good:

Got the W

5-3 and with a loss by MIA to KC we are in 1st place in the AFCE. Which makes losing to NE even worse.

Multiple players contributed on offense

OL strong

Sam Martin was exceptional 

Offense looked much better

Shakir, Gabe and Dalton looked good

Josh running 

The Bad:

Coaching 

Dorsey again not taking the easy play inside the one yard line

Tackling

Too many self inflicted mistakes 

Taron Johnson and  Jordan Phillips struggled 

Pass rush couldn’t get home

inability to stop a screen 

Special team’s penalties 

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I will defend McDermott. I think he viewed TB offense as so little of a threat, he played conservatively. If we were out there playing KC, we would be going for it on all those 4th downs.

that’s the best I got.

He'll punt, kick field goals and play field positions. That's the way he is and will never change. 5 playoff losses for this idiot and wasting Allen's prime years.

• Agree 1

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Nearly lost?  No one was remotely close to catching that lol this is peak crazy town.  This is like saying the jags almost lost to us cuz we had a chance at a hook and ladder play at the end 😂

Ehhhhh, Godwin had a free catch if he tracks that ball

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

The Head Coach however…..

Basically took the field waving a white flag

It's a concern.  Feels like we've seen more than a few games like this, where we almost pulled defeat from the jaws of victory (or actually did).

16 minutes ago, Governor said:

Every week McD puts all of the pressure on the defense, which is one of the worst in the league. Terrible coaching all around.

Agree.

Way too much faith in a unit that is decimated by injuries. He should be concentrating on scoring quickly and often. He holds on to a 2 score lead so tightly you'd think it was his first girlfriend. As you said, way too much pressure on this unit to contain offenses, especially in one score games where the refs can sometimes make things difficult with an undisciplined group. 

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Why?  When is there ever accountability under mcdermott?  Siran Neal was equally as bad in this game and nothing will change.  Mcdermott will continue to put the same undisciplined idiots out there.  

serious question about Neal. Has anyone seen him make a great ST play, like downing it near the goal line? I can think of many times He has whiffed on one of those.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I'm glad we won. It buys us more time to figure this out.

Josh had his fourth bad game in row. Stats say otherwise but tape will say different.

We scored 24 points and were a Godwin spin from being 4-4.

Josh had his 4th bad game in a row?

Huh??

You know he completed over 75 percent of his passes , threw for 300 plus yards, ran for over 40  and had 3 total TDs right?

95 percent of QBs on a weekly basis don’t accomplish that ^.

He will most likely be a AFC player of the week candidate again

Edited by BillsFan130

11 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

Style points don't count. You're absolutely correct. I don't think anyone is mad that the Bills won. But the way in which you win can give you insight into future results. And the way they won this game gives many a bad feeding about the rest of the season. That's understandable, no? 

I agree.  I don't see us blowing anyone out, including Denver.  Every win will be a stressful grind. 

1 minute ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I've defended him for the past two years but his game management is suspect 

I'm fine with 90% of it and those punts were the right call tonight against that particular offense, but he has got to stop with the ***** defensive timeouts, especially on 4th downs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

crazy how if Godwin just looks for the ball and makes that grab in the EZ,

Godwin wasn't looking for the ball 'cause he was shoving the Bill in front of him to the ground. If Godwin makes the catch maybe the refs call that penalty; maybe not.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

This is a big win. Wasn't pretty at the end. Bills still have to do some cleaning up but the win is important.

The offense looked really different tonight. I mean that in a good way. Many players got involved, yards after the catch, Josh running, creative offense with motion, etc...

The defense played well. Still having problems with the screen passes. Looked better stopping the run. Oliver makes a difference. Wish the pass rush could have gotten to Baker more 

Special teams looked good except for the penalties. Harty caught my eye with some nice returns. Great punts to pin the Bucs.

That hail mary pass was heart stopping scary. 

Spot on. That was the Bills and Allen of the last three seasons.  Notice how on almost every play the Bills were at the LOS with 20 seconds left on the play clock.  Contrast that with last week when it was usually under 10 seconds when they lined up.  Last week was by design as was tonight. It's obvious which way is better.

What was beyond encouraging was the way Allen spread the ball around.  It was fantastic that Four different receivers were involved as key components of the game plan.  Going forward this could really drive the offense into the stratosphere.

My one complaint is why did it take an injury to Knox to finally get the ball to Kincaid downfield.  The guy is smooth and should have been more involved in the O weeks ago. And this is on the coaches.  Oh and that toe tap along the sideline was elite. 

Shakir was also a revelation with his best games as a Bill.  If he keeps doing this we suddenly have multiple dangerous weapons.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

4 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Just got home from the game.

- A win is a win.

- Seems the refs inserted themselves too many times.  First quarter PI looked like a terrible call from where I sit.  Looking forward to the replay to see what really happened on all the ref calls.

- Let Josh run..and run…and run.

- Hurry up worked great.  Then….it seems they abandoned it?  Why??

-  Nice special teams plays tonight. Great punts.  Coverage.  Returns.

- Need a consistent rush.  Mayfield??

- Please. Please. Please. Stop the 4th down trying to get them Offside.  It. Doesn’t. Work.

- Lastly?  THAT WAS A SAFETY!

That was not a safety, his knee was in the air.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Iverwig said:

Like the penalty that wasn’t called against the Bills tonight that should have been called on the Hail Mary. Like the penalty against the Taron Johnson that wasn’t called that should have been called against the Giants. Every team has penalties not called. If you can’t see the difference between this team and the good teams in the league I don’t know what else to tell you. 

BS!   Both teams were getting physical on that play!  Waller pushed off Taron as well.  You are correct some teams get away with it and some don't.  Refs could throw a flag on every play.  And I'm not putting the Bills at the top of the heap.  Since losing 3 starters on defense the Bills D has taken a huge step backward.  They have a lot of work to do still.  Today, offensively they took a step forward.  Defensively they were solid for 3 quarters.  I'll wait to see how the rest of this season plays out before I throw coaches under the bus.  That great coach in KC was discarded by Philly and took a huge step backward before hiring one of his proteges.

Just now, The Wiz said:

Normally I'm in agreement with you but he coached scared tonight with they punts.

Baker Mayfield already looks like a fat old drunk and I pin him deep in that situation every single time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

However that works in the hurry up fast paced offense, whenever we slowed down into the huddle offense, like at the goaline we struggled. Like on the 4th and goal play that made me want to slam my head through my keyboard.

Yea, I think Allen not using his legs is an obvious issue right now.  I get it, they want to save him for the end of the year.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Allen has been nicked up at the end of the past two seasons, and the Front Office just isn't saying anything.

We need to let Allen read and react at the goal line, or put his head down and move the pile forward on a QB sneak.  

6 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I'm glad we won. It buys us more time to figure this out.

Josh had his fourth bad game in row. Stats say otherwise but tape will say different.

We scored 24 points and were a Godwin spin from being 4-4.

Whaaaaat? Criticism is fine, but you gotta try and be objective. 

I’ve Harper on a lot of the same issues for year about Josh. Late to throw, delivers the ball behind the receiver, difficulty getting the ball out of his hands, focusing in on Diggs.

I’ve been super consistent on these with Josh for a bit. 

But I’m not blind. This quick release and diversification of pass catchers is what I’ve been begging for. Josh even mentioned the same in the Amazon post game. This sort of game should make it easier on both Josh and Diggs. 

No need to sharpen any pitch forks or light your torches for this one. 

11 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

Not understandable at all imo…you do what maximizes your percentage of winning the game in question and there was little to no chance the bucs were winning this way 

I know y’all want to see points and so on and want your qb to throw for 500 yards but if a team wants to run the clock out on themselves you let them every time.  I think past emotional trauma is giving the illusion that that game was closer than it was, not so much the actual game itself 

tampas defense is pretty good one stop around midfield and you completely lose having the clock as your best defender. 

if the bills oline can hold up like that consistently they’ve got a shot in every game 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'm fine with 90% of it and those punts were the right call tonight against that particular offense, but he has got to stop with the ***** defensive timeouts, especially on 4th downs.

I agree.  the punter was in a zone and punting the Bucs inside the 10 multiple times was the right thing to do. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just saw the hail mary again.  I don't think I've seen any other team play it that way - I don't think there was a Bill who knew where the ball was. Most of the defenders were facing the back of the endzone.

Might want to practice that one a bit, McD.

• Like (+1) 1

A majority of the remaining Bills schedule is brutal..

Technically that’s a rebound win, but this team won’t make a Super Bowl. Without all the defensive injuries, I believe they’d have a shot. But this coaching staff will hinder the team in the playoffs, if they even make it that far. 

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.