Dawson Knox - wrist surgery

NewEra

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The only thing that concerns me here is Dalton really isn’t a blocker. He gives effort, but he’s not good at it yet.

That’s needed

I don't know what they're going to do. And with Morris injured, they only have one TE on the roster. People celebrating this are not really thinking it through.

• Thank you (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Oh right, I forgot about that. Oh well. No more 12 personnel.

Meh. The 12 personnel thing is misleading in this case. In our offense Kincaid is just a TE doing the slot WR work. It’s the same offense as with 11 personnel. Part of the issue is that Kincaid is a terrible blocker so we don’t get extra juice in run blocking like with many two TE sets. That is why I doubt he takes over Knox’s in-line duties. I expect Morris to do that. 

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

Meh. The 12 personnel thing is misleading in this case. In our offense Kincaid is just a TE doing the slot WR work. It’s the same offense as with 11 personnel. Part of the issue is that Kincaid is a terrible blocker so we don’t get extra juice in run blocking like with many two TE sets. That is why I doubt he takes over Knox’s in-line duties. I expect Morris to do that. 

He’s adequate enough

kelce isn’t a blocker 

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

I understand the Prisoner of the Moment stuff to a degree, because Knox has had a few key drops lately.

However...any kind of notion that this somehow makes the Bills offense better seems ridiculous to me. 

Drops or not, Dawson Knox is a good player for the Bills. A good all-around tight end, and likely the Bills' best blocking tight end by a significant margin.

Losing him hurts in the run game, it hurts personnel multiplicity, and it hurts depth.

This does NOT make the Bills offense better, and it seems foolish to suggest that it somehow does.

I agree, but I'd say most of us are thinking it will improve the team purely because a healthy player will be an improvement over an unhealthy one.

A healthy Knox is a weapon. I just think we haven't seen it as much as we'd like because (a) he hasn't been healthy and (b) his game has been compromised to assist with the protection of Spencer Brown.

Hope he gets well soon, we really need him.

• Like (+1) 1

We'll lose a little bit in the blocking department for sure, but I think there is a good chance the the combination for Kincaid at TE1 and Morris at TE2 might be an upgrade in the passing game.  Guess we know why they were working out TEs last week.

Just wish our RT wasn't such a disaster and didn't need constant help on every passing play.  He's such a weak link on the line and it hinders the offense when you constantly have to have guys stay in or chip block all the time just so he doesn't get Allen killed.

Edited by sven233

7 minutes ago, Aimee75 said:

Mixed feelings on this. He's not the most reliable weapon, but he does help out a lot with blocking, and god knows our OL needs all the help.

THIS!  He chips to help out Brown on regular basis, you think Brown was a turnstile before, just watch.

• Like (+1) 1

The Knox hate here is ridiculous. Guy is a solid blocking TE and has made some spectacular catches over the years. Sure he drops the odd pass, but I think fans overrate the tight end position in terms of offense added. Not every team has a Kelce. This is a significant loss for the O. Hopefully Kincaid can build on yesterday's performance.

• Like (+1) 1

Wow. When did Knox become hated around here? He has four drops on the season. Yes, that’s most in the NFL for TEs. By one. Here are some guys with 3:

Mark Andrews

Sam Laporta

TJ Hockenson 

Evan Ingram. 

Even Mr. Swift has two.

I suppose those fans would also be happy if their starting TE needed surgery. 

WTF is wrong with this place? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Must be Von broke his wrist during that players only meeting. 

My guess is they knew this was possible and it contributed to any meeting. 

They have to be checking out - “we don’t have the dawgs.”

You look around expecting to make plays and good things happening.  Now they expect things to go wrong.  

6 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Wow. When did Knox become hated around here? He has four drops on the season. Yes, that’s most in the NFL for TEs. By one. Here are some guys with 3:

Mark Andrews

Sam Laporta

TJ Hockenson 

Evan Ingram. 

Even Mr. Swift has two.

Now look at targets. For ease I will provide them to you:

Kelce 59

Engram 51

Laporta 49

Hockenson 47

Andrews 40

Knox 28

Edited by buffblue
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, taglientep said:

That’s fair you have to look at drops as an overall percentage not just individuals numbers

I was just providing the numbers for the players that were referenced. Since Knox has more drops than any other TE, his drop % will accordingly be higher, in this case significantly 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, JMM said:

THIS!  He chips to help out Brown on regular basis, you think Brown was a turnstile before, just watch.

Are we in the threshhold of hell or what? I mean, I would ask how much worse it could get, but I don't even want to think about it 😕

4 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Mark Andrews

Sam Laporta

TJ Hockenson 

Evan Ingram. 

Even Mr. Swift has two.

Dawson has twice as many drops as Kelce on half as many targets. Kelce has 5x the yards in 1 fewer games. 

Obviously it's not fair to compare Knox to the GOAT TE, but he's had a disaster of a season so far. 

Knox is paid to be a top 10 TE and his play isn't even in the top 30. 

I'll never be happy that a Bills player is injured, but it's easy to make the argument we'll be better with Knox out of the lineup

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I've mentioned this before but he has a broken bone, plus torn ligament & cartilage. I was surprised he has been playing at all.

Also this might sound callous but I take this as a positive. We need undependable players to stay off the field. Kincaid and Morris catch the ball.

Knox is a better receiver than he has been showing. I am sure the injury played a role in the drops. I can’t quite believe he was playing with that injury.

Just now, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Dawson has twice as many drops as Kelce on half as many targets. Kelce has 5x the yards in 1 fewer games. 

Obviously it's not fair to compare Knox to the GOAT TE, but he's had a disaster of a season so far. 

Knox is paid to be a top 10 TE and his play isn't even in the top 30. 

I'll never be happy that a Bills player is injured, but it's easy to make the argument we'll be better with Knox out of the lineup

It’s been a disaster because … wait for it … he’s been playing injured (not hurt; injured).

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Knox is a better receiver than he has been showing. I am sure the injury played a role in the drops. I can’t quite believe he was playing with that injury.

He was playing because Morris got hurt in the same game. The Bills, right now, have one TE on the active roster and he's not really a TE.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Logic said:

I understand the Prisoner of the Moment stuff to a degree, because Knox has had a few key drops lately.

However...any kind of notion that this somehow makes the Bills offense better seems ridiculous to me. 

Drops or not, Dawson Knox is a good player for the Bills. A good all-around tight end, and likely the Bills' best blocking tight end by a significant margin.

Losing him hurts in the run game, it hurts personnel multiplicity, and it hurts depth.

This does NOT make the Bills offense better, and it seems foolish to suggest that it somehow does.

Ugh. I hate logic. 😅

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.