Is a Healthy Von Miller an Option to Replace Milano?

st pete gogolak

Most of Von Miller’s career has been OLB in a 3 -4.  I understand that OLB in a 3 -  4 is apples and oranges to an OLB in a 4 - 3, or a 4 - 2 - 5.  Nevertheless, is it crazy to try a completely healthy  (big if) Von Miller in Milano’s spot?  It keeps Floyd, Groot and/or AJE on the field.  I’m sure he would be fine against the run and most likely a liability in pass coverage.  It would, however, be neat to move him around and put even more pressure on opposing QB, similar to how Dallas uses Parsons.  I’m guessing the answer is maybe five years ago but not at 34 after two knee surgeries.

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If the question is "could he occasionally, situationally, once in a while, line up at OLB for special packages and rush the passer from that position?", I think the answer is "yes".

If the question is "could he actually be a full time replacement for Matt Milano, taking on all the usual responsibilities of the position, including pass coverage, run stopping, etc", the answer is "certainly not. On the one hand, it would be asking a player to learn a completely new position, midseason, in his 13th year in the league. On the other hand, you'd be wasting the best skillset of an elite pass rusher by asking him to do other things".

So...once in a while, as an exotic pass rush look? Yes. All the time, as an actual REPLACEMENT for Milano? No.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Most of Von Miller’s career has been OLB in a 3 -4.  I understand that OLB in a 3 -  4 is apples and oranges to an OLB in a 4 - 3, or a 4 - 2 - 5.  Nevertheless, is it crazy to try a completely healthy  (big if) Von Miller in Milano’s spot?  It keeps Floyd, Groot and/or AJE on the field.  I’m sure he would be fine against the run and most likely a liability in pass coverage.  It would, however, be neat to move him around and put even more pressure on opposing QB, similar to how Dallas uses Parsons.  I’m guessing the answer is maybe five years ago but not at 34 after two knee surgeries.

Unequivocally no.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

As others have stated - no.

But, it could be a wash losing a big playmaker on D, and getting one back from injury.  Maybe not a complete wash, but Von will be disruptive just as Milano was, only in a different way.

The LB corps will be a question mark for awhile, and may be a weakness. We'll have to see how it goes w/ Williams and Klein.  I'm excited to see Williams play & see how he develops.

And, I'm still heartened by the fact that they have not ruled Milano out for the season.

1 hour ago, st pete gogolak said:

No. No he isn't. He never was and certainly not now.

Getting their best pass rusher into coverage as the weakside LB?  

There should be tests for TSW members to continue posting.  

3 minutes ago, Prospector said:

I think we need to bring back Spencer Johnson for that role.

More like Mario Williams.  Spencer Johnson was the DT turned ROLB in that George Edwards 30 front they ran in 2011. 

I can see it now...

Patrick Mahomes back to throw ...

Von Miller in his backpedal ...

Sees Travis Kelce sit down in the zone!

SPRINTS TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FIELD!!

FLIPS HIS HIPS AND STRETCHES OUT FOR THE INTERCEPTION!!

RUNS IT BACK 95 YARDS TO THE HOUSE! NOBODY CAN CATCH HIM!!!!

GIT ER DONE BEAN!

Edited by Rigotz

Milano excels in coverage and is also adept at finding his way through a crowd to a runner.

Miller is very good at beating offensive linemen with his quickness, bend, and a variety of moves to get to a QB.

Despite both being called 'linebackers' at some point in their careers, they have very different skill sets. 

Don’t disagree with most of the comments to the thread. Just throwing some “out of the box” thinking.  One comment I do agree with is occasionally having him on the field with two DE’s.  One I disagree with is that the majority of his career has been as a 4 - 3 DE.  Didn’t Denver run a 3 - 4 for most of his time there?

32 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Don’t disagree with most of the comments to the thread. Just throwing some “out of the box” thinking.  One comment I do agree with is occasionally having him on the field with two DE’s.  One I disagree with is that the majority of his career has been as a 4 - 3 DE.  Didn’t Denver run a 3 - 4 for most of his time there?

Yes, but the assignments, techniques, and responsibilities for a 3-4 OLB are universes apart from those of a 4-3 OLB. 

The assignments, techniques, and responsibilities for a 3-4 OLB are much closer to those of a 4-3 DE.

In short, Von Miller has always been an Edge defender. He has NEVER been an off-ball linebacker. They are completely different positions. Even though Miller has gone by the title "outside linebacker" in the past, what he was doing bore little to no resemblance to what Matt Milano does in the Bills' defense. 

It would be no different than asking Joey Bosa or Myles Garrett to play Milano's position. It would be asking a player to learn a completely new position. A total "fish out of water" situation. It would not be reasonable whatsoever to ask Von Miller to do this. Only, as I mentioned, very occasionally and in very specific situations, should Von Miller ever be asked to line up anywhere other than the edge.

Edited by Logic
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I do like that a creative answer was stated after the loss of Milano. It is a huge loss. I'm kind of gripping over what will happen now as much as anybody on this board. . But in actuality he can't be replaced. But I dont mind honest questions.

I learn a lot reading all you football IQ heavyweights on topics I would have zero idea how to answer.

Cheers.

2 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

You forgot to say “hear me out”.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Yes, but the assignments, techniques, and responsibilities for a 3-4 OLB are universes apart from those of a 4-3 OLB. 

The assignments, techniques, and responsibilities for a 3-4 OLB are much closer to those of a 4-3 DE.

In short, Von Miller has always been an Edge defender. He has NEVER been an off-ball linebacker. They are completely different positions. Even though Miller has gone by the title "outside linebacker" in the past, what he was doing bore little to no resemblance to what Matt Milano does in the Bills' defense. 

It would be no different than asking Joey Bosa or Myles Garrett to play Milano's position. It would be asking a player to learn a completely new position. A total "fish out of water" situation. It would not be reasonable whatsoever to ask Von Miller to do this. Only, as I mentioned, very occasionally and in very specific situations, should Von Miller ever be asked to line up anywhere other than the edge.

Agree with everything except your examples. Bosa and Miles are 3 inches taller and 25 - 30 pounds heavier than Miller.  So in that context Miller would have a far better chance to succeed at OLB in a pinch than those guys. 

4 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

the idea is bonkers. No way. Might as well ask Allen to play Milano’s spot. He might be better at it than Miller 

3 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

Stay in the box.   That's a pretty dumb idea.   

1 hour ago, QLBillsFan said:

Hmm all due respect.. no. Completely different positions entirely. Wish it was that easy because it sure would help. We suddenly seem to be be pretty decent at DE and banged up elsewhere. 

Which is why I suggest playing with 5 defense men - 2 DEs, 2 DTs and a NT.  It has been done before.

5 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

No he plays 4-3 DE and has for 80% of his career

7 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

NO!! 

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

Blink 182 Wtf GIF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.