Friends the Oline has arrived…

78thealltimegreat

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Well if this isn’t a nice change

IMG_6597.jpeg

Both new guards are playing well, we have a next man up inside in bates.  Edwards as an extra blocker and depth piece.  A backup T who has played in the league before quite a bit.  And a couple young depth pieces in anderson and Van Demark who show a lot more potential than Bobby Hart and Van Roten.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Our grandkids will ask us "Papa, where were you when you heard that PFF gave the Buffalo Bills a 100 grade after week 4"

and I'll proudly say

i have no idea

Not many posts make me literally LOL, but this one did.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Both new guards are playing well, we have a next man up inside in bates.  Edwards as an extra blocker and depth piece.  A backup T who has played in the league before quite a bit.  And a couple young depth pieces in anderson and Van Demark who show a lot more potential than Bobby Hart and Van Roten.  

I was shocked to see Van Rotten play so well for the Raiders. We didn’t hear much of the DL that day, but Jimmy G also seems like he’s willing to throw an INT than take a sack. 

• Like (+1) 1

Dawkins, who was a question mark coming into the season, has really upped his game to a new level, and O'Cyrus Torrence, who obviously should have been a first round pick, thankfully fell to us in the second round.

These two things have made all the difference in increasing the O-line's performance, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, JayBaller10 said:

I was shocked to see Van Rotten play so well for the Raiders. We didn’t hear much of the DL that day, but Jimmy G also seems like he’s willing to throw an INT than take a sack. 

I just remember him as an absolute liability when i saw him play.  

1 minute ago, Special K said:

Dawkins, who was a question mark coming into the season, has really upped his game to a new level, and O'Cyrus Torrence, who obviously should have been a first round pick, thankfully fell to us in the second round.

These two things have made all the difference in increasing the O-line's performance, IMO.

Yeah, dawkins has a bit of a frumpy body shape.  But he did come into this year looking more... functionally heavy than just heavy.  Arms look bigger, looks quicker.  

This is to me the biggest difference in what the offense is able to accomplish - actually both lines are setting the tone this year- the guard position upgrades just completely solidified the entire o-line. It's early October so I won't get to ahead of myself but so far I have enjoyed watching us push around and manipulate to attack the strongest defenders and just neutralize them.

22 minutes ago, Special K said:

Yup - Sometimes teams just overthink it.  Torrence was the consensus best IOL in the Draft, yet dropped because he lacks positional flexibility.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yup - Sometimes teams just overthink it.  Torrence was the consensus best IOL in the Draft, yet dropped because he lacks positional flexibility.  

It would have been a coup to take Dawand Jones in the 3rd.  Missed out on that one.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

They have played really well. Even week 1 against the Jets the problem was definitively NOT the offensive line. Dion is playing his best football in 2 or 3 years, the two guards are significant upgrades on the turnstile and career backup they replaced, Mitch Morse is who he is, and Spencer Brown is more like rookie Spencer Brown where he has some pass pro wobbles but is dominating in the run game than the complete mess he was in 2022. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

They have played really well. Even week 1 against the Jets the problem was definitively NOT the offensive line. Dion is playing his best football in 2 or 3 years, the two guards are significant upgrades on the turnstile and career backup they replaced, Mitch Morse is who he is, and Spencer Brown is more like rookie Spencer Brown where he has some pass pro wobbles but is dominating in the run game than the complete mess he was in 2022.

I'm sure that has everything to do with who is next to him.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

AWESOME.. Any word on run block?

Jax sitting at 21. Worse graded OL we'll face other than the Jests

We face the bottom 3 offensive lines in the league still in addition to the jets lol 

crazy we could be seeing all them

With von miller 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Special K said:

I agree. I have been vocal about my displeasure in Dawkins play but I have zipped my lips so far since the season has started. He has been playing great and hope he keeps it up.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 3

I like it a lot, and my eyes tell me the O-line is much improved.

But... the fact that different so-called expert sources can vary so wildly on grading the same team, logic tells me at least one of those sources don't know what the hell they're talking about.

For example:
PFF gives the Bucs pass pro 100 (I assume this is a one-game score, is it?) and ESPN gives the Bucs a failing 47.

PFF and SIS both give the KC pass pro 69 but ESPN gives it a perfect 100.

PFF gives the Browns an 82 for pass pro but SIS gives it just 48.

PFF gives the Charges a decent 75 but ESPN gives them a dismal 31.

Way, way too much divergence, One, some or all of the sources are either badly inconsistent or full of crap.

I'll trust my eyes, the results on the scoreboard and maybe the opinion of a couple people here whose long-standing opinions have generally helf up.

One more thing... many people here, including some of the smart people I alluded to above, said Torrence wasn't a scheme fit.

Well, Torrence is doing great, scheme fit be damned.

O-line evaluation is perhaps the hardest, IMHO, of all the position groups.

But it IS good to see the BIls O-line have success and to see fewer sacks and more clean pockets for Josh.

Edited by Nephilim17
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

yeaaaaaa.....im gonna go ahead and disagree...

we got clowned by the jets and i expect a good pash rush will continue to destroy this line.

I will give some credit though as the scheme is much improved to help the blockers.

1. The word "composite" means the totality of the season. One can't say with a straight face that the o-line hasn't looked stellar for three weeks in a row.

2. The Commanders have as good a d-line as you're likely to find. How did their pass rush look? The Dolphins have Bradley Chubb, Andrew Van Ginkel, Christian Wilkins, and Emmanuel Ogbah. Decent to good pass rushers, all. How did their pass rush look?

The Bills offensive line has played really well this season. The eye test tells us that, as Josh has looked very comfortable and the run game is producing. Now, the grades of an unbiased website are telling us the same.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

8 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

we got clowned by the jets and i expect a good pash rush will continue to destroy this line.

I will give some credit though as the scheme is much improved to help the blockers.

The Jets didn't clown on our O-Line, though.  Allen just played like a clown that game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Not even close unless he turns out to be Larry Allen. Matt Milano in the 5th was a far bigger steal. 

Milano wasn’t Beane’s pick, it was Whaley/McD. Benford is looking like his best value pick so far.

• Like (+1) 3

But I was told signing a "castoff from the Cowboys" and drafting an OG that didn't fit the scheme wouldn't upgrade the OLine. 

1 minute ago, JayBaller10 said:

Milano wasn’t Beane’s pick, it was Whaley/McD. Benford is looking like his best value pick so far.

Bernard looking like a huge value as well.

• Like (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, Doc said:

It would have been a coup to take Dawand Jones in the 3rd.  Missed out on that one.

So… this thread is pointing out how well the offensive line has been playing, and how our 2nd round pick looks like an absolute stud and you’re talking about how we missed on our third round pick? 🤦‍♂️ 

Remember… just a few weeks ago more people than not said our last third round pick was a giant fail. How has that worked out? 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

But I was told signing a "castoff from the Cowboys" and drafting an OG that didn't fit the scheme wouldn't upgrade the OLine. 

Bernard looking like a huge value as well.

It’s early, but Bernard is certainly playing like a 1st round off the ball linebacker. And those guys don’t usually go first round anymore, but he brings that pass rush ability too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

like Washingtons DL? They kept them in the game against the Eagles OL, a unit also known to be elite

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

I think that Torrance in the second was perhaps Beanes best pick besides Josh.

Looking like it.  He’s been nothing short of great thus far. 

15 minutes ago, Logic said:

1. The word "composite" means the totality of the season. One can't say with a straight face that the o-line hasn't looked stellar for three weeks in a row.

2. The Commanders have as good a d-line as you're likely to find. How did their pass rush look? The Dolphins have Bradley Chubb, Andrew Van Ginkel, Christian Wilkins, and Emmanuel Ogbah. Decent to good pass rushers, all. How did their pass rush look?

The Bills offensive line has played really well this season. The eye test tells us that, as Josh has looked very comfortable and the run game is producing. Now, the grades of an unbiased website are telling us the same.

I will say Van Ginkle was a bit of a menace, but overall, they have done a great job this year.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.