Friends the Oline has arrived…

78thealltimegreat

Just now, 78thealltimegreat said:

Rewatch the 4th quarter of the fins game Tony Romo was literally comparing Cyrus to Zach Martin basically saying after the Cowboys drafted him holes appeared that weren’t there before. 

My point is PFF said Torrance was the worst graded bills player on Sunday

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Angry 1

Beane is really coming through.  I remember when we went into this offseason, just wondering how we were going to do anything given the cap space situation.

And we've upgraded in so many places - WR, TE, RB, the D-line.  But the O-line is really where it counts.  It is SO cool to see Allen standing back in the pocket on many plays, & be able to survey the field without having to immediately run for his life.  The results are obvious, too.  

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

I think that Torrance in the second was perhaps Beanes best pick besides Josh.

STILL no penalties nor sacks allowed! Amazing, actually!

I mean yes, it’s a great college accomplishment. But to continue this into the NFL is legendary stuff!

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Special K said:

Wrong.

If the Bills only replaced Saffold, and hoped for improvements from Brown, the O-line would still be just treading water.

What really put this O-line over the top was the improved play of Dawkins and the addition of Torrence.

It's a combination of both, improving the interior of the O-line has helped improve the outside as well the play calling to help cover for Brown against the better pass rushers we've faced.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Logic said:

1. The word "composite" means the totality of the season. One can't say with a straight face that the o-line hasn't looked stellar for three weeks in a row.

2. The Commanders have as good a d-line as you're likely to find. How did their pass rush look? The Dolphins have Bradley Chubb, Andrew Van Ginkel, Christian Wilkins, and Emmanuel Ogbah. Decent to good pass rushers, all. How did their pass rush look?

The Bills offensive line has played really well this season. The eye test tells us that, as Josh has looked very comfortable and the run game is producing. Now, the grades of an unbiased website are telling us the same.

Yes, grades are grades...but as you said, they are passing the eye test. I don't think anyone can watch this line and not say they are significantly better than last year (wherever they actually rank in the league).

And I'll add in Maxx Crosby as well. The Raiders D-line isn't special, but Crosby is elite. So, we faced the Jets and Commanders who have two of the best D-lines in the league, the Dolphins who also have a ton of talent on their D-line, and the Raiders who have an elite pass rusher. And the O-line has more than held their own.

4 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

Possible that Dawkins play last year was down because of trying to help cover for Safford? Roger was good at one time, but by the time he came to Buffalo, he was on fumes.

This could very well be true. I have seen a number of times over the years where people think an O-lineman has "lost it," but it just turned out that the player next to them was so bad that their side of the line would get blown up a lot or they would be trying to help/cover the bad player. Only for that player who "lost it" to  "really up their game" "get back to form" the next year when they finally have another good player next to them. 

2 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

A few points about this.

1.  The Bills are committed to running with RB's more this year, that helps keep the DL at bay.

2.  Josh is helping by getting it out faster, 2.5s last year, 2.3s this year.  

3.  Obviously the G position (both of them) have been upgraded.

Great points. I might also add in that we have better slot and check-down options for Josh now.

Cook/Murray/Harris > Singletary/Moss/rookie Cook; Harty/Sherfield/Kincaid > I. McKenzie

Beane targeted our exact weaknesses from last year (interior O-line play, RB room, and the slot position), and it is paying off. And the icing on the cake is the development of Bernard at LB, upgrading the middle of our defense with speed and play-making ability.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Wow. I stand corrected. My memory is foggy…why fire Doug Whaley after the draft ? Bc it said Beane was hired in 2017, but didn’t make the picks? 

Because Whaley had an entire years worth of scouting and reports on players and how they interviewed

You don't get rid of him before the draft when he has all the information about what you are trying to do

Sean coming here gave us insight to 2 draft boards .. he would have known who the Panthers liked throughout the year also 

And they were supposedly very high on Dawkins, who the bills traded up for 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Because Whaley had an entire years worth of scouting and reports on players and how they interviewed

You don't get rid of him before the draft when he has all the information about what you are trying to do

Sean coming here gave us insight to 2 draft boards .. he would have known who the Panthers liked throughout the year also 

And they were supposedly very high on Dawkins, who the bills traded up for 

I think as a defensive coordinator, Sean McD would’ve known far less about the Panthers draft board than assistant GM Joe Schoen knew about ours - and Schoen didn’t know ours extremely well. Certainly not the finalized grades as Beane alluded to when asked what information they had to protect from Schoen as he ran his first NYG draft filled with Buffalo intel.

51 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I think as a defensive coordinator, Sean McD would’ve known far less about the Panthers draft board than assistant GM Joe Schoen knew about ours - and Schoen didn’t know ours extremely well. Certainly not the finalized grades as Beane alluded to when asked what information they had to protect from Schoen as he ran his first NYG draft filled with Buffalo intel.

Well finalize grades certainly not... It's January

But the head coach and both coordinators absolutely know what positions and few players they are keying in the draft... Only around 10 per round.. it's not a big number

And the fact is Carolina brought in Dawkins on pre-draft workouts and the bills didn't... The Bill signed Carolinas coach , whose team was high on Dawkins pre-draft

And the bills traded up ahead of Carolina and took him... I don't think that's a coincidence... McDermott had a feeling he was the Panthers guy and wanted a lineman 

Edited by Buffalo716

9 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Well if this isn’t a nice change

IMG_6597.jpeg

I was really happy with Beane this offseason.  I thought he might have successfully upgraded our OL from bad to average.  And I was excited about that.

I never imagined seeing something like this. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

STILL no penalties nor sacks allowed! Amazing, actually!

I mean yes, it’s a great college accomplishment. But to continue this into the NFL is legendary stuff!

The whole has played fairly awesomely.

I think this makes the point that , it takes a whole Unit to perform well. To be in sync with each other. Communication and execution go hand in hand with the O line

Might be time to give Kromer a bit of love now ?

and dont forget McGovern in all of this. Likely some of the reason Dawkins game has improved.

All five have to be One , as best as they can be. Seems Morse is calling the right stuff and Josh is clear with his adjustments.

its a thing of beauty right now 🥰

How long has the O line in Buffalo been our lament ? Seems like a very very long time. 

Much like this 3 headed force of quality RBs of differing skillsets being used behind them. Just a danged joy to watch

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Special K said:

If you think the line would be this effective without Torrence, then your logic is seriously flawed.

Did you hear Christian Wilkins name once during the Fins game??

When has that ever happened against the Bills??

Who do you think stonewalled him all game??

might be confused here. But perhaps you missed the intent of the text ?

13 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

might be confused here. But perhaps you missed the intent of the text ?

I don’t think I am.

I made a post saying that the improved play of Dawkins and the drafting of Torrence is what put this OL over the top, and made them a much more effective OL.

Then some joker slaps a red X on my post, basically implies I’m an idiot, and tries to convince me that the signing of McGovern and the “supposed “ improvement of Brown is the reason the OL is more effective.

He’s wrong, so I defended my opinion.

Obviously, all four of these factors are a part of why the OL is more effective, but it’s pretty clear to me that the actual improved play of Dawkins and the drafting of Torrence was more important to the improvement of the OL than the signing of McGovern and the supposed improvement of Brown.

What’s to be confused about?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Special K said:

I don’t think I am.

I made a post saying that the improved play of Dawkins and the drafting of Torrence is what put this OL over the top, and made them a much more effective OL.

Then some joker slaps a red X on my post, basically implies I’m an idiot, and tries to convince me that the signing of McGovern and the “supposed “ improvement of Brown is the reason the OL is more effective.

Obviously, all four of these factors are a part of why the OL is more effective, but it’s pretty clear to me that the actual improved play of Dawkins and the drafting of Torrence was more important to the improvement of the OL than the signing of McGovern and the supposed improvement of Brown.

I think that at least in comparison to last year, signing McGovern and having him replace and massively upgrade Saffold, who was terrible, is a huge improvement.  And that has allowed Dawkins to perform better, having someone competent next to him unlike the previous few years.  I'd say Brown being healthier is 4th on the list.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Special K said:

I don’t think I am.

Hilarious because you guys are arguing the exact same thing.

You: Our OL is better because our OT is playing better and we added talent to the IOL!

Other Guy: Well I think our OL is better because our OT is playing better and we added talent to the IOL!

Peak message boarding.

It's most likely: The talent added to both sides of the IOL are helping our OTs play better too.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You: Our OL is better because our OT is player better and we added talent to the IOL!

Other Guy: Well I think our OL is better because our OT is playing better and we added talent to the IOL!

Peak message boarding.

It's most likely: The talent added to both sides of the IOL are helping our OTs play better too.

I was just reading through this and thought the same thing lol.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Special K said:

I don’t think I am.

One might conclude that DD is playing better because he has a real NFL guard to his right side and doesn’t have to keep track of what he is or isn’t doing all game long,  and of course Our new 2nd rounder is a major reason that Brown is doing better,  both of those guards are why Morse is more consistent, it’s a “ one hand washes the other” sort of deal, jmo of course, 

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I can get behind this, and it’s most likely the truth.

I also think  that there is a lot of disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing going on around here lately...I didn’t start the disagreement in this case, but I wasn’t going to let someone crap on my opinion with a worse opinion than mine.

Now that I got that off my chest, maybe I can do a better job of ignoring these knuckleheads in the future.👍

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Special K said:

I also think  that there is a lot of disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing going on around here lately...I didn’t start the disagreement in this case, but I wasn’t going to let someone crap on my opinion with a worse opinion than mine.

Now that I got that off my chest, maybe I can do a better job of ignoring these knuckleheads in the future.👍

Dont let the emojis on the posts get to ya. They dont really mean anything. :lol:

edit: WTF @Doc! HOW DARE YOU! IT'S ON!

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Special K said:

It’s not that serious

Edit: A RED X???? How dare you crap on my opinion. You basically just called me an idiot.

Edited by gobills404
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Dont let the emojis on the posts get to ya. They dont really mean anything. :lol:

edit: WTF @Doc! HOW DARE YOU! IT'S ON!

By the way, love the phrase “peak message boarding”!

Its a good descriptor of some of the things I see going on around here....might have to use that phrase in the future.

On 10/4/2023 at 11:03 AM, JerseyBills said:

AWESOME.. Any word on run block?

Jax sitting at 21. Worse graded OL we'll face other than the Jests

Edit - meant that we've played already

Watched a few jags games. They should be able to get to Lawrence. He’s good and get it out quick, but he won’t be able to settle in 

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You: Our OL is better because our OT is playing better and we added talent to the IOL!

Peak message boarding.

LOL, I was thinking the exact same thing

• Like (+1) 1

Regarding some of the still lingering talk of the mighty Jets (lol) and how some will believe it when they see it against a better opponent. Feels like a good time for a reminder that many talking heads just a week ago were praising Miami’s d-line, who apparently suck now despite throwing money at Chubb, etc. 

This team has made Chubb, Crosby, Chase Young and Montez Sweat essentially disappear. That’s worth credit regardless of the overall defensive unit. Completely removing the opponent’s best pass rusher from the equation shouldn’t be dismissed, and the Bills are doing it weekly now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, gobills404 said:

It’s not that serious

Edit: A RED X???? How dare you crap on my opinion. You basically just called me an idiot.

NOW WE ARE EVEN!!!!! 

(Waiting for the red X to appear.......)

Edited by Special K
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 10/4/2023 at 11:04 AM, Special K said:

Dawkins, who was a question mark coming into the season, has really upped his game to a new level, and O'Cyrus Torrence, who obviously should have been a first round pick, thankfully fell to us in the second round.

These two things have made all the difference in increasing the O-line's performance, IMO.

I have dialed into Torrence when re-watching the game. This beast smashes people off the ball and really does well in pass pro. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.