Josh is spoiling us.

tomur67

I’m waiting to see what the narrative is going to be for the NFL

Josh Allen has been an MVP conversations but he never got it because the team was not good enough supposedly even though it was all on his shoulders

This year‘s team feels different and that Josh Allen is not playing a superhero every week and the other players are actually helping is the NFL going to disregard Josh now that the team overall is actually playing better

We’ll see how it goes. Josh Allen deserves at least one MVP in his career.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Josh Allen has been an MVP conversations but he never got it because the team was not good enough supposedly even though it was all on his shoulders

This year‘s team feels different and that Josh Allen is not playing a superhero every week and the other players are actually helping is the NFL going to disregard Josh now that the team overall is actually playing better

In the NFL, MVP seems to ultimately go to QB with the best stats and lots of wins, unless someone at another position puts up record level stats and their team has a good record bc of that person’s performance.  Would definitely be ironic if Josh puts up the best stats of his career bc he has a better offense around him, and wins MVP because of that.  Because I think your point is that he is actually less valuable/important if he has a better team around him.

I couldn’t care less about Josh as the MVP unless he gets it because he won the Super Bowl. I despise the MVP talk at the 1/4 pole of the season, I think it’s ridiculous. Play half the games and then maybe start talking about it.

The thing with Josh is he makes the extraordinary look ordinary and does it without the flash, eye candy, horizontal BS Mahomes does. I don’t care what national pundits say, but I do appreciate guys like Orlovsky and the QBschool guy on YouTube who point out just how ridiculous some of his normal looking throws really are. It’s definitely under appreciated by those who don’t follow our team like we do.

For example, I think it was the first play of the Miami game. He’s drifting to his left and back to avoid a rush and delivers a dime off his back foot over 30 yards downfield to Diggs. After he throws the ball you can see him take 2 more steps BACKWARDS. That’s just not normal. Maybe only Mahomes makes that throw besides Josh. He’s an alien.

Edited by RunTheBall
  • Like (+1) 2

I don't think we're spoiled.  If you're old enough to remember:

• Todd Collins
  • Alex Van Pelt
  • Rob Johnson
  • JP Losman
  • Kelly Holcomb
  • Trent Edwards
  • Jeff Tuel
  • Thad Lewis
  • Kyle Orton
  • EJ Manuel
  • Tyrod Taylor
  • Nathan Peterman

Then you fully deserve to enjoy Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Yeah, would suck to have a hall of fame QB who went to 4 Superbowls and the only reason didn’t win the first one was because of the head coach.

It's always so easy to blame the Head Coach.  Not sure it's that simple.

It's amazing that the two comparisons given were Jim Kelly and Dan Marino.  Both of them had Hall of Fame coaches (Marv Levy and Don Shula).  Kelly had a handful of other Hall of Fame players around him, including Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed and Bruce Smith on defense.

Sean McDermott has played his part in the Bills falling short the last 3 seasons.  But he's certainly not alone.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Yes, it is a great thing that we now have Josh as our QB.  I remember the times before Kelly and before Josh, and it was depressing.  I know that we need to get to the Super Bowl with Josh, but it does feel like another golden age with the consistency of winning, overall media coverage and global fan support and recognition.

9 minutes ago, Heels20X6 said:

• Todd Collins
  • Alex Van Pelt
  • Rob Johnson
  • JP Losman
  • Kelly Holcomb
  • Trent Edwards
  • Jeff Tuel
  • Thad Lewis
  • Kyle Orton
  • EJ Manuel
  • Tyrod Taylor
  • Nathan Peterman

Well, Jesus when you put it that way

14 hours ago, tomur67 said:

In the past, I could turn on the TV and really get interested in any NFL game that was on.  Now, after watching Josh play the game, watching other QB's is kind of ho-hum.  Most of the time the games are kind of boring. Yes, a few of them can make a couple of great throws a game, like Tua to a wide-open Hill or Waddle, or Mahomes to Kelce, but none, no one, plays the game like Josh Allen. Yes, I know I'm prejudiced, but I believe he is the most exciting and talented quarterback in the game today and will go down in history as one of the best.  Every snap he takes, you know he could make a play that no other QB could possibly make.  That is what makes him so exciting to watch. We are so damn lucky to have him.

We definitely deserve a little spoiling after finally getting out of that abusive relationship.

I get what you mean, but funny enough, having Josh and knowing we are relevant and perennial contenders has actually managed to return my fanhood I had as a kid back in the 80s and 90s. The pettiness and bitterness of the drought era has faded, and I can even enjoy watching stuff about other good teams without having to feel like "when is it OUR turn? 😤".

So while no one holds a candle to watching Josh, he's also managed to make football in general much more enjoyable.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

Pretty funny right?

We used to be watching our version of Kenny Picketts and Jimmy Gs and really break them down and give them credit.

Now we get to watch Allen on a week to week basis? Wild

I'm old enough to have seen Jack Kemp, Joe Ferguson, Jim Kelly, Doug Flutie, Drew Bedsoe and Fitzmagic. I am not exaggerating when I say Josh Allen is already the greatest Bills QB. He surpassed Kelly.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, tomur67 said:

In the past, I could turn on the TV and really get interested in any NFL game that was on.  Now, after watching Josh play the game, watching other QB's is kind of ho-hum.  Most of the time the games are kind of boring. Yes, a few of them can make a couple of great throws a game, like Tua to a wide-open Hill or Waddle, or Mahomes to Kelce, but none, no one, plays the game like Josh Allen. Yes, I know I'm prejudiced, but I believe he is the most exciting and talented quarterback in the game today and will go down in history as one of the best.  Every snap he takes, you know he could make a play that no other QB could possibly make.  That is what makes him so exciting to watch. We are so damn lucky to have him.

ive said for a few years that i wont be able to go back to how the last 20 years were before Josh. If it looks like that again, i will most likely stop watching. 

Agreed. Easy to take him for granted, but, wow, what a player! He may end up being the GOAT if he continues on his current trajectory. He can do everything Brady could do and he's bigger, faster and stronger, along with having a much stronger arm. Brady was a better decision maker and certainly took care of the ball better, but now Allen is showing he can do that, too. 

We're living in a Bills golden age. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I think Josh will still get his praise, I wonder how it'll go with Tua though, if he stays healthy his stats could be ridiculous. Do they keep giving him all the credit or do they take that system and those ridiculous YAC skill players into account.

There are a lot of great QBs out there making great plays all the time. I love that Josh is our QB, but there's other guys out there that have taken their teams to conference championship games and Super Bowls that are pretty great too. That's not even talking about the young up and comers.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

It's pretty funny throwing down a perfect game at QB isn't considered playing superhero

If ever there was a LAMP post/thread!!!!  

Absolutely right, which is when we see bad play calling or coaching, we get more upset as the Bills have the best weapon in the NFL (some debate vs. Mahomes).

That is why too I thought coaching let him down years 1 & 2 and we still don't see his full potential either.

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

There are a lot of great QBs out there making great plays all the time. I love that Josh is our QB, but there's other guys out there that have taken their teams to conference championship games and Super Bowls that are pretty great too. That's not even talking about the young up and comers.

Its because he plays too reckless. Its what held Favre back from winning more Superbowls to be honest. If the man plays like he has, taking the easy throws when their given to him, he will win the Bills a SB. If he reverts back to the guy we have seen at times there is a possibility that we never win one with him because of how many good QB's are in the NFL especially the AFC. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Heels20X6 said:

• Todd Collins
  • Alex Van Pelt
  • Rob Johnson
  • JP Losman
  • Kelly Holcomb
  • Trent Edwards
  • Jeff Tuel
  • Thad Lewis
  • Kyle Orton
  • EJ Manuel
  • Tyrod Taylor
  • Nathan Peterman

I'm old enough to remember Kemp & Lamonica followed by some dark days of Shaw and when Ferguson went down one of the worst half seasons ever by a starting QB, Gary Marangi.  Any time I see fans calling for a backup it reminds me of the days of "We want Marangi" followed by us getting Marangi for 7 starts & then his exit from the NFL after setting records for futility that will never be broken.  Then there was Kelly about to sign with the Bills when he received the infamous phone call in the Bills office and left for the USFL, not to be seen again in Buffalo for 3 years.  In those years we endured Dufek, Ferragamo, & Mathison.  We even had Art Schlichter playing horribly in a preseason game before getting cut when Kelly signed.  After Kelly we pick up your list.  I remember in 2007 I thought we had found the long-term answer in Trent Edwards only to see my optimism shaken along with his brain as he became Captain Checkdown. 

In the winter of 2018 I was too sick to really follow the draft closely, so I had no opinion whether Allen was the answer or not.  I remember getting upset when the Jets traded up to 3, figuring the Bills would be aced out by the Jets for the QB we so desperately needed.  The good thing was, by camp I was better & immediately jumped on the Josh Allen bandwagon after hearing the players like Shady raving about him.  It's been a great ride with Josh and considering what we've had to put up with since we traded Lamonica to the Raiders, with the exception of the Ferguson & Kelly years with the brief hope Flutie brought & the very brief hope Bledsoe brought, well deserved for all us fans.

• Thank you (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

There was a lot of reasons for the loss.  To put the blame solely on Levy is not fair to him.

I know some people don't want to admit it, but Bill Parcells is perhaps the greatest coach of the modern era.  While most HOF coaches can be linked to a HOF QB, Parcells won wherever he went with multiple QBs.  Now add the defensive mind of Belichick to Parcells & you have the greatest 1-2 punch in NFL history.  Maybe instead of blaming Levy for being outcoached, it's time to recognize how great the coaching was on the other side.  A staff that would be able to out coach just about every other NFL coaching staff.  That same staff also included past or future NFL head coaches Tom Coughlin, Ron Erhardt, Al Groh, and Charlie Weiss (I'm excluding Parcells' successor Ray Handley from the list, but he was a head coach too) 

21 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I know some people don't want to admit it, but Bill Parcells is perhaps the greatest coach of the modern era.  While most HOF coaches can be linked to a HOF QB, Parcells won wherever he went with multiple QBs.  Now add the defensive mind of Belichick to Parcells & you have the greatest 1-2 punch in NFL history.  Maybe instead of blaming Levy for being outcoached, it's time to recognize how great the coaching was on the other side.  A staff that would be able to out coach just about every other NFL coaching staff.  That same staff also included past or future NFL head coaches Tom Coughlin, Ron Erhardt, Al Groh, and Charlie Weiss (I'm excluding Parcells' successor Ray Handley from the list, but he was a head coach too) 

I blame Levy and Kelly for clock management on that final drive, everyone knows Norwood kicked worse on grass, back then 48 yard FGs weren't gimmes. Toss in so many 3 and outs and keeping the ball for less than 3 minutes put a bigger onus on our defense. 

49 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I blame Levy and Kelly for clock management on that final drive, everyone knows Norwood kicked worse on grass, back then 48 yard FGs weren't gimmes. Toss in so many 3 and outs and keeping the ball for less than 3 minutes put a bigger onus on our defense. 

And the defense allowed way too many big plays and third down conversions.  Regardless the Bills had the ball last and wasted too much time and easily should have been 10 yards minimum closer.  

A lot of blame to go around that game.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Yeah, would suck to have a hall of fame QB who went to 4 Superbowls and the only reason didn’t win the first one was because of the head coach.

The problem Miami had with Marino is that no matter how hard the Dolphins tried to build a complementary running attack, they always ended up over relying on Marino's gifts as a passer.  It made them one dimensional.  As good as Marino was, if your team is one dimensional there are ways that smart defensive coordinators with good defenses can control the game.  Buffalo has struggled with their running game the last few years, but that seemed to be mostly the result of weaknesses on the offensive line combined with the lack of explosiveness in their running backs.  Cook gave us some glimpses las season, but it seems like it's really starting to take off now.

Edited by BigAl2526
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

The problem Miami had with Marino is that no matter how hard the Dolphins tried to build a complementary running attack, they always ended up over relying on Marino's gifts as a passer.  It made them one dimensional.  As good as Marino was, if your team is one dimensional there are ways that smart defensive coordinators with good defenses can control the game.  Buffalo has struggled with their running game the last few years, but that seemed to be mostly the result of weaknesses on the offensive line combined with the lack of explosiveness in their running backs.  Cook gave us some glimpses las season, but it seems like it's really starting to take off now.

There always are some people here who have to bang the drum about running.  Yes having a running game is nice but it is all about the QB play 90% of the time. Sorry name me all of them Mahomes wonderful running backs.  New England won their Super Bowls on the back of Brady not some running back.  Marino simply just never had the best team however he was the best quarterback. And don't forget a few of those years were against the Buffalo Bills.

Also a defense that gets the ball back to the offense doesn't hurt.🤣

7 hours ago, TonyBeets said:

You're absolutely right.  It is kind of crazy, but even this past Sunday, anytime Tua threw a ball it just looked like it was floating in the air.....of course it does because Allen has an absolute cannon.  

Tua always throws lollipop passes, he’s mostly accurate, but he has no arm whatsoever.

I think Josh could throw the ball harder with his left arm than Tua does!!

Edited by Special K

8 hours ago, tomur67 said:

THIS! By the latter stages of his rookie season, he completely rid me of a life long rue about the Bills being able to convert a 3rd and 8 or longer. No distance can’t be overcome with this unicorn. I’ve seen every Bills QB since Johnny Green and we’ve NEVER had anyone like him. We will exist in a horrible purgatory when he leaves, the likes of which most everyone here will never see again. 

P.S. what’s with the rolling eyes emoji @Bob Jones??😡

• Like (+1) 5

8 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

After suffering through this list of quarterbacks below since the Super Bowl runs, IN NO WAY AM I EVER taking for granted this special time. Just looking at this list makes me cringe and shake my head, because players like Eric Moulds and Lee Evans and the defensive studs we had at the end of the last century got SCREWED.

Todd Collins
Alex Van Pelt

Doug Flutie

Rob Johnson
Drew Bledsoe

J. P. Losman

Kelly Holcomb
Trent Edwards
Ryan Fitzpatrick

Brian Brohm
EJ Manuel

Thad Lewis

Jeff Tuel
Kyle Orton
Tyrod Taylor

Matt Cassel
Nae Peterman

So yeah, old heads know, and that doesn't even cover the OLDER Mafia members who suffered through QBs just as bad in the 70s and early 80s.

What a whippersnapper! Try Tommy O’Connell, Warren Rabb, Tom Flores, Dan Darragh, Kay Stephenson, James Harris, Dennis Shaw (ROY)  Joe Dufek, Gary Marangi, Vince Ferragamo, Dan Manucci, Bruce Mathison and even Eddie Rutkowski. 
When Josh’s days are done, this is depth we’ll fall to.

• Haha (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

P.S. what’s with the rolling eyes emoji @Bob Jones??😡

The OP’s rant is a pure “homer” post. It’s just another post by a Bills fan with blinders on. Yes, JA17 is an excellent player with the potential to be one of the best ever, but he’s not there yet. The truth is that there are a handful of other QBs in the league who also can perform “magic” just as well as JA17 can, and they have areas of their game that are better/stronger than JA. Go peruse their fan message boards and you will see the same type of posts about THEIR QBs, but you’ll probably tell me that they’re wrong, and Bills fans are correct, right? LOL  Mahomes, Hurts, and Herbert are just a few who immediately come to mind. A healthy Rodgers is another one. Edit to Add: Should have Lamar Jackson on here too (if he’s 100% healthy).

I hope that JA17 does become one of the best ever, and does help to bring the Lombardi trophy to WNY. I’ve been a fan for 50+ years so I am just as desperate as ANYBODY to see the Bills win a SB. But I’m also a rational person, so that’s why I posted an eye roll. 😉

Edited by Bob Jones
Added L. Jackson
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

11 hours ago, tomur67 said:

This thread reminds me of the pure hopelessness of teams that don't have a franchise QB.

It's only been 6 years since the drought yet i've already forgotten how people can stand to sit through a season where the team clearly has no chance of competing for a Super Bowl.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

There was a play on that drive when Thomas had 5 yards of green in front of him and ran out of bounds. If Norwood had been 5 yards closer, the Bills win.

Mahomes lost a Super Bowl 9-31 and threw a bunch of passes like a diving short stop, none of which were completed and we were told they were amazing. Mahomes has won some big games, but look at last Super Bowl, his team ran for 180 yards. Allen never gets that kind of help when it’s needed. This year hopefully it happens.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.