Will we have to replace Dorsey next year?

ChronicAndKnuckles

I know it all depends on the success of the season, but if Dorsey keeps putting up 30-40 points on a regular basis, continues to supplement Allen w/ a consistent & explosive run game, and gets Buffalo to a SB then he’s as good as gone next year. I feel like he completely outclassed McDaniels today and that’s a nice notch on his resume. He’s done what Daboll couldn’t do and that’s make Buffalo a multi-dimensional offense.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I know it all depends on the success of the season, but if Dorsey keeps putting up 30-40 points on a regular basis, continues to supplement Allen w/ a consistent & explosive run game, and gets Buffalo to a SB then he’s as good as gone next year. I feel like he completely outclassed McDaniels today and that’s a nice notch on his resume. He’s done what Daboll couldn’t do and that’s make Buffalo a multi-dimensional offense.

I don’t believe so but I’d imagine Joe Brady would take over  the role if we do have to replace Dorsey

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

No. 

Maybe....if we win a Super Bowl. 

I don't think his credentials are enough at this point. I mean, he got handed the keys to a Ferrari, which built by the previous guy. He just gets to drive it, do burn outs and troll lesser machines on the highway. 

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Who cares if he outdid McDaniels? He's turned the Raiders into an even bigger joke. 

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

It’s amazing how much the board sways

We go from wanting to fire him to wondering if we’re gonna be able to keep them

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Dorsey will get Head Coaching interviews this offseason. 

He has had three very nice weeks weeks 1,2 and 4. Bit of a clunker at Washington but still got the job done. 

In a league continuing to veer toward offense I expect he will get interviews. 

As to if he left... I think it was clear when Dabes left Dorsey was the next in line. In terms of Joe Brady, I am sure the Bills would consider him but I don't think it is a slam dunk. I know they came away from their interview with Tee Martin last time really impressed and if Ken Dorsey had followed Daboll to New York (and there was 24 hours where the Bills feared he was going to) then Martin would have got the job. He has since moved over from wide receivers to quarterbacks in Baltimore. I wouldn't be stunned if they looked at him again.

• Like (+1) 4

I've said before that Allen will go through at least 4 different OCs in his career. It's the downside of having a defensive HC. Now if any of those OCs will amount to anything without Allen under center is the real question.

• Like (+1) 1

There’s a point to keeping your QB1 and W1 happy with familiar and competent HC/OC. a revolving door for Offense staff is a recipe for losing personnel. Funny how the Dorsey opinions changed. I seriously haven’t seen anything special, creative from him (aside from winning;)

• Like (+1) 1

It's plausible. 

Top offensive coordinators get interviews. I think those around the league would view him as a Top OC is we continue to have success. From there, anything can happen. It really only takes one team to take a shine to him and make an offer. There is a good chance there are going to be some desirable jobs open.

• Agree 1

Imagine him being hired by some 3-14 team to turn them around.  Think of the epic sideline tantrums that could follow.  He'd create a new standard for meme-worthy that would be practically Brady-esqe.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Daboll is the cautionary tale--Unless another team has a Josh Allen on the roster, no one will seriously look at him after this season.

I could see a team like the Chargers giving him an interview if Staley gets his walking papers. If they like what Allen/Bills Offense does they could want to mimic that for Herbert.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Dorsey will get Head Coaching interviews this offseason. 

He has had three very nice weeks weeks 1,2 and 4. Bit of a clunker at Washington but still got the job done. 

In a league continuing to veer toward offense I expect he will get interviews. 

As to if he left... I think it was clear when Dabes left Dorsey was the next in line. In terms of Joe Brady, I am sure the Bills would consider him but I don't think it is a slam dunk. I know they came away from their interview with Tee Martin last time really impressed and if Ken Dorsey had followed Daboll to New York (and there was 24 hours where the Bills feared he was going to) then Martin would have got the job. He has since moved over from wide receivers to quarterbacks in Baltimore. I wouldn't be stunned if they looked at him again.

I’m sorry but even if you like his play calls week 1 you can’t argue he managed the human element properly 

• Dislike 2

11 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

I could see a team like the Chargers giving him an interview if Staley gets his walking papers. If they like what Allen/Bills Offense does they could want to mimic that for Herbert.

Staley was a DC and Chargers just brought in Kellen Moore as OC.  Not sure how Dorsey as HC would change much next year.

7 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

No. 

I think he is 2-3 years out. His mannerisms will hurt him. 

Going into 2025 seasons at earliest. 

caveat is a SB win and he is gone after 

he will be put into the discussion as an too young target this offseason though. 

4 hours ago, QCity said:

I've said before that Allen will go through at least 4 different OCs in his career. It's the downside of having a defensive HC. Now if any of those OCs will amount to anything without Allen under center is the real question.

I'd say it's more the downside of being as talented as Allen is.  He literally played Daboll into a head coaching gig.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It's hard to do that from the box. I put that more on Joe Brady. 

The ultimate issue is the buck stops with him as head coach in these hypothetical next steps and if he can’t see the glaring problem with his offense in that game it would also be a strike against him as the leader of the unit.

he is still the voice in Josh’s helmet and the guy managing Joe Brady 

8 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I really hope Dorsey is in contention for head coaching positions.  This would mean that the Bills offense was strong all season long - these are good problems to have.  

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

The ultimate issue is the buck stops with him as head coach in these hypothetical next steps and if he can’t see the glaring problem with his offense in that game it would also be a strike against him as the leader of the unit.

he is still the voice in Josh’s helmet and the guy managing Joe Brady 

I think the ultimate issue is actually that there will be 8 or so HC openings..........that's the norm........so he doesn't have to be the perfect candidate.

Nobody thought Daboll was going to get a HC job late in the 2021 season after a series of abysmal performances by him in the middle of that season.

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

It’s amazing how much the board sways

We go from wanting to fire him to wondering if we’re gonna be able to keep them

Don’t lump me into this group. I never wanted to fire him

3 hours ago, Since1981 said:

There’s a point to keeping your QB1 and W1 happy with familiar and competent HC/OC. a revolving door for Offense staff is a recipe for losing personnel. Funny how the Dorsey opinions changed. I seriously haven’t seen anything special, creative from him (aside from winning;)

Sometimes you don’t really have a say whether a guy takes another job. Nothing special? How long have we been waiting for a run game ? 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Weren’t we firing him a few weeks back?😉

One week it's "we've got to fire this guy" and the next week it's "we're going to lose him when he gets a head coaching job"  Either way it's not looking good for Ken to be back next season. 😀

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Weren’t we firing him a few weeks back?😉

Logical folks weren’t calling to fire him. We were rightfully concerned after some very questionable play calls. 

2 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

One week it's "we've got to fire this guy" and the next week it's "we're going to lose him when he gets a head coaching job"  Either way it's not looking good for Ken to be back next season. 😀

I am one of the more optimistic ones on this board. You are thinking of someone else 

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think the ultimate issue is actually that there will be 8 or so HC openings..........that's the norm........so he doesn't have to be the perfect candidate.

Nobody thought Daboll was going to get a HC job late in the 2021 season after a series of abysmal performances by him in the middle of that season.

a totally fair assessment overall - but would not point to the debacle on national tv as a successful game for him. Likewise wouldn’t say it’s a dealbreaker but it’s not one he’s going to be hanging on the fridge with a gold star

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

Chargers could promote their water boy and he would probably have more success. Dorsey should be on their Xmas list this year. They need someone who can properly harness Herbert’s physical talent.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

a totally fair assessment overall - but would not point to the debacle on national tv as a successful game for him. Likewise wouldn’t say it’s a dealbreaker but it’s not one he’s going to be hanging on the fridge with a gold star

True.    And if Daboll can still get a job after that 6 point debacle against the winless Jags..........I think a team can squint at Dorsey's job on MNF on 9/11 and consider that Reid and Mahomes also struggled there in a less hostile environment a few weeks later.........and basically put no weight on it.

• Like (+1) 1