Dolphins @ Bills Postgame thread

djp14150

20 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

For sure injuries are an inevitability for every team, to varying degrees. 

My suggestion was simply that Armstead going out roughly coincides in the game with when the Bills defense starts to really clamp down (2nd half of 2nd quarter). It sorta tracks, circumstantially. 

The Bills D front was winning before Armstead went down; it might not be a stretch to say that part of the reason he got hurt is because the Phish OL was taking an already increasing ass-kicking when it happened.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Bummer disclaimer.

Anybody wanna talk about how impactful Miami's offensive line injuries were today? From being down their starting OC at kickoff, to losing their LT in-game...

That progression of o-line unavailability no doubt helped the Bills tremendously. Armstead left the game late in the 2nd quarter, right around the time the Bills defense was absolutely locking down the Dolphins offense.

Who gives a shite? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Interesting stat from ESPN (sorry if already posted):

The Bills are the sixth team in NFL history to score 135 or more points and allow fewer than 60 in their first four games. Each of the previous five went on to play in that season's Super Bowl.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/38542990/nfl-week-4-overreactions-surprises-bills-patriots-stroud

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Meh, it's not like Armstead is a pillar of stability for them.   He missed 14 games his past two seasons entirely and exited seemingly every other one in between for parts of those games.    He missed the first two games of this season as well.

This is his 11th year. He has played more than 14 games ONCE and has played fewer than 12 (i.e. missed at least a quarter of the season) FIVE times. If he had stayed healthy he might be in the Tyron Smith, Trent Williams conversation as top left tackle of the past decade. But he isn't because he is simply always hurt. 

3 hours ago, Special K said:

Re-watching the game, and Tony Romo said two very stupid things(shocker) in the first quarter:

”Vic Fangio May be the one guy who can slow down Josh Allen.”

”I see now that the Dolphins game plan is to take Diggs out of the game.”

Josh Allen 300+ yards and five total TD’s

Diggs 6 catches 120 yards 3 TD’s

🤣🤣🤣

Also, on the James Cook TD run, O’Cyrus Torrence just pancaked Christian Wilkins into the turf....love it!!!!

Romo is horrible. Why they stopped him tipping plays I have no idea. Because it was literally the one thing he brought beyond high pitched squealing. He is like the drunk guy at the bar who just talks incessantly and makes 8 "smart guy" predictions in the first Quarter and when one of the 8 hits in the 4th is giving it the "seeee I tooooolllddddd you" yea mate... most of what you said was nonsense. 

50 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

Did the Bills just give the league the playbook on how to stop the “high scoring” Miami Offense or is just because we have such a good D?

Lots of really good X’s and O’s Experts on this board - what say you??

I think the book is kind of already out. He loves throwing to the middle of the field and he is elite when his first read is there because he gets it out so fast and is very accurate. Once you can take away that first read he will give you chances with the ball or he will hold it and give you chances to rush him. 

It's easier said than done. But the Bills did it brilliantly after that first drive. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

7 hours ago, Virgil said:

They wanted that 3rd round pick 

Undeniable.  But the entire thing was highly unusual.   Given McD's value of a family culture and Frazier being classy, well liked, and coaching a top ranked defense, I think it was the classiest way for a change to be made.  

I believe the primary motivation was at minimum McD realized the Frazier's lack of aggression and creativity was a problem for beating the top teams, especially in the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Probably not the whole reason, but it's a thing. Personally, I think he's done coaching. But if an opportunity presents itself and he does come back, we have his rights.

I don't think he is done coaching. I think he will be back as a defensive coordinator in 2024. But not in Buffalo. Agree part of the reason the Bills held onto his rights is if he DOES get a HC job they wouldn't want to miss on the pick. I expect they will hold onto those rights until the 2024 HC hiring cycle runs its course and then grant permission for Leslie to interview for DC roles. 

I expect a first time HC who is a relatively young and inexperienced guy from the offensive side to hire Leslie as his DC. I wonder even if Ken Dorsey would consider him should he get a HC gig?

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, sven233 said:

One thing I want to come out of all this is for somehow the Bills to still be flying under the radar.  We play better with a chip on our shoulder and I don't want any reason to lose it.  I will say, though, this team has a different feel than what we have seen over the last few years.  They do seem to want to just go out and shove it in people's faces.  They seem like they are on a mission to just shut people up and I love that.

I think they will use the Jets game as fuel the whole year - it will be their touchstone chip even as it fades further and further into the past for fans/media

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, boyst said:

Also, how ridiculous is it that some journalists can't speak functional English to ask questions. Such as "how you was thinking that you and Dorsey had something going today?"

Seriously whatever outlet pays that dude should fire him.

Some of those dudes they announce who they are affiliated with and in my mind I'm thinking they might as well say they write for the Lancaster Bee, or Pennysaver.  It feels like it must be like a voluntary intern position, or they get paid with free soup or something

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, stevewin said:

I think they will use the Jets game as fuel the whole year - it will be their touchstone chip even as it fades further and further into the past for fans/media

Galvanizing loss for the Bills.  Bills are better off after losing week 1 IMO.  Pressure is off.  The Bills refocused and will be better.  Look out NFL.  If Bills can stay healthy, no one is stopping Buffalo from winning the Superbowl this season!

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Special K said:

Wilkins was noticeably quiet thanks to the rookie!!

He’s a future All Pro in the making!

Torrence did a great job keeping him away from Josh's balls

• Haha (+1) 4

5 hours ago, Simon said:

The Bills D front was winning before Armstead went down; it might not be a stretch to say that part of the reason he got hurt is because the Phish OL was taking an already increasing ass-kicking when it happened.

In my best Ed McMahon voice "You are correct sir!"

3 hours ago, Bockeye said:

Did the Bills just give the league the playbook on how to stop the “high scoring” Miami Offense or is just because we have such a good D?

I think they did. The issue is you have to be damn fast. That one play where Tre blitzed was a good example. Tre was on top of Tua before he realized it.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Bernard has been a huge surprise and he is playing great!

Agreed.  And another "splash" play that doesn't get credited to him on the stat sheet is the Hyde interception.  The interception was Hyde's but Tua overthrew the receiver and it went to Hyde because of Bernard's position.  The guy has been amazing.  What a steal to get this guy in the 3rd round, eh?

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

Agreed.  And another "splash" play that doesn't get credited to him on the stat sheet is the Hyde interception.  The interception was Hyde's but Tua overthrew the receiver and it went to Hyde because of Bernard's position.  The guy has been amazing.  What a steal to get this guy in the 3rd round, eh?

I was bad mouthing Bernard pretty badly. 

If he keeps playing like this he would be in consideration for a pro bowl selection. 

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

Agreed! And I’m told he’s just barely seventeen years old. 😉

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think he is done coaching. I think he will be back as a defensive coordinator in 2024. But not in Buffalo. Agree part of the reason the Bills held onto his rights is if he DOES get a HC job they wouldn't want to miss on the pick. I expect they will hold onto those rights until the 2024 HC hiring cycle runs its course and then grant permission for Leslie to interview for DC roles. 

I expect a first time HC who is a relatively young and inexperienced guy from the offensive side to hire Leslie as his DC. I wonder even if Ken Dorsey would consider him should he get a HC gig?

I’d hire him in Denver now. He can’t be any worse than Vance Joseph even though he’d be implementing a new scheme.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Bockeye said:

The Dolphins board brought up a point (yes, I hate to credit them anything, and take it with a grain of salt)

The Dolphins had been putting their man into motion right before the snap. And it works wonders because it caused confusion with assignments.

McDermott looked at this trend and realized it was a better cue than a snap count and used that the time rushers, meaning that whoever was coming on a blitz had a jump. With that, whenever the first read wasn't there Tua was rushed and made bad calls. 

That part can be replicated, though I am sure that McDaniel can start using motion more conventionally.

But a big part is the zone that the Bills play and the trust that we have in our back end to limit the big play. Hill and Waddle were each held to under 60 yard with no touchdowns. That's hard to do. 

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

The Dolphins board brought up a point (yes, I hate to credit them anything, and take it with a grain of salt)

The Dolphins had been putting their man into motion right before the snap. And it works wonders because it caused confusion with assignments.

McDermott looked at this trend and realized it was a better cue than a snap count and used that the time rushers, meaning that whoever was coming on a blitz had a jump. With that, whenever the first read wasn't there Tua was rushed and made bad calls. 

That part can be replicated, though I am sure that McDaniel can start using motion more conventionally.

But a big part is the zone that the Bills play and the trust that we have in our back end to limit the big play. Hill and Waddle were each held to under 60 yard with no touchdowns. That's hard to do. 

The Bills D gameplan reminds quite a bit of the Mid 90's Steelers Zone Blitz scheme that ended up giving Jim Kelly and Company serious problems.

I knew and posted many times that we were going to pound them. Tua can't read the field. he throws to with his fingers crossed. The Bills just put the league on notice! Let's go boys!

Just hate that our next game is in England. So brutal. Oh well... we will destroy the Jags.

Well, guess everyone saw what happens when the Fins face an ultra disciplined and fundamentally sound defense that doesn't go for all the misdirections and motions the Fins try and pull people out of position with...

Yes, they are going to score points still because they are just super fast, but they are going to be limited and Tua is going to be forced to play to his weakness which is having to play off schedule and not be able to just go to his wide open first read.  

They are still a 9-10 win team because the D is not stopping anyone.

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Yeah motion has to be very choreographed if you want that player to be able to hit the LOS at speed.......which, with enough tape, makes it a tell of both the likely play choice and when the ball will be snapped.

I've been listening to talking heads wonder in astonishment about how you stop it and I've been surprised that none of them had even mentioned it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.